Aether and aether sickness

I know aether is like...life force. But I assume that it's also used to power the spells of the magic users (THM, WHM, CONJ). I have written my character to not be adept in using aether, so having teleport makes her sort of sick. That being said, walking everywhere is getting boring. Would it be feasible to use ethers to supplement her aether enough to teleport around?

One's ability to use aetherial travel is based on their anima. (Formerly an actual currency in FFXIV 1.0, but phased out because gil is easier as a game mechanic.) Anima would be considered the life-force-ish part of aether, which is otherwise more of just an energy, sorta.

If we refer back to the THM 1-30 quest chain, that is sorta what Cocobusi (the ALC brother) did to boost his aether reserves, temporarily. However, teleport and return spells affect each person differently, and someone more used to them could probably push their limits better than someone who rarely uses one. It's why something like the aethernet in each city works well for a common person, as the distance isn't too far. Travelling to a farther away aetheryte consumes more anima and takes a heavier toll on a person.

Spoiler

This is brought up by by Alisae (or maybe Alphinaud, it's been a while) in the House of the Fierce during early 4.0 MSQ.

Sounsyy's got a great write up a variety of aetherial topics here: https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=19136&pid=289427#pid289427 (the index still needs to be updated for the new site / posts formatted. In the meantime, classic RPC will display them nicely!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 9:45 PM, Unnamed Mercenary said:

Sounsyy's got a great write up a variety of aetherial topics here: https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=19136&pid=289427#pid289427 (the index still needs to be updated for the new site / posts formatted. In the meantime, classic RPC will display them nicely!)

Holy heck... that's going to keep me busy a while!  But it'll be worth reading those articles.

I've always rp'd my char (who has a fairly large personal reserve of aether) as still getting aether sickness from teleporting long distances which has made me rethink just how long that distance is since my FC house is in Limsa but my char spends most of his time in Ul'dah, which to be fair isn't that long of a distance.