New to RP in FFXIV

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests I have never done any RP in FFXIV but I have wanted to for months. The main issue is that I am really slow at leveling so I would like to transfer my main to an RP server. 
I realize that the big RP servers are locked for transfers so I thought I might ask if there are any active RP groups on any servers other than Balmung and Mateus?

Hello! Welcome to the RPC!

There are a few servers that are publicly known for having more or less "sustainable" RP on them, which currently includes Balmung (NA datacenter/the oldest/biggest), Mateus (NA datacenter/second largest), and Omega (EU Datacenter). However, we know RP exists on other servers such as Faeri, Jenova, Siren, and others, but you'd likely only find maybe a single linkshell or a few people/groups. 

Only Balmung is completely locked at the moment. (Congested servers cannot even be tranferred into). It'll probably open up again once Square Enix is able to nuke some of the RMT bots/accounts.

If you're generally active in general North American timezone hours, I'd suggest trying to get into Mateus. The server should be open typically in the early morning and just after maintenances. (Think like 3am-6am Pacific time). 

Otherwise, I'd recommend checking out our Linkshell and Free Company sections from the navigation bar on the top of the site. (Or the navigation button in the top right if you're on a mobile device). You might also find some resources for RP by using the official site's Lodestone search page looking for Free Companies or Linkshells with "Roleplay," "role play," "role-play," or "RP" in their titles/tags.

Balmung is locked yet again, and that's not likely to change any time soon. You should be able to move to Mateus without much trouble, it's really only around peak hours that transfers may not be available.  If you do come to Mat, there's a sizable RP community and you can find people around all the big cities without any trouble.  If you see a Tregarde wandering around don't hesitate to strike up some RP.

Hello and welcome to the RPC! The other 2 pretty much covered everything and I wish you best of luck out there. There are many friendly faces all over and you'll find a wealth of information here on the RPC.

Have fun and hope to see you around!