So it seems Balmung is the default RP server? Most of the events appear to be on this server as well. Yet over 2 years I have tried on and on to start a character there and it is always closed.

As an avid RPer, and seeking to join in to FFXIV, is there some other server as active on the RP scene?

I would recommend looking to Mateus! It has a thriving community of roleplayers and you can make characters and alts there for free if you just catch it at the right time of the day last I checked. If you do some digging around you might be able to locate one of their few Discord servers for the community which they organise around!

As I am from Mateus, I can in fact say we are the secondary RP server and Balmung's little sister. xD
We do have two discord RP communities, the first I'll link is the largest, the second one is the smallest. I know the owner of the first and she is a nice gal.

You can also find a list of some of the FCs and Linkshells here on Hydaelyn that are on Mateus, though you'll find more on the Discord's cause for some reason, they like using Discord. *shrugs!*

If you are more of a EU player and like to find more of those, we do have some on Mateus, but there is also Omega, the other sibling server-- and I think there are some smaller RP servers as well, but their communities would have to speak for them, as they kinda come and go; Though its always nice to try and help communities thrive. After all, Mateus nor Omega wouldn't be what it is today without the support they gotten from here (and wanting communities on the servers themselves).

https://discord.gg/77DDRUg

https://discord.gg/XsBTbZv

I can only echo what has been said above, Mateus has a good RP population.

To add to the above, sometimes you may be unable to create a character during peak hours. The server isn't closed, just congested. Wait for a time when less people are around and you should be able to get in without any problem.