New to FFXIV and RP :)

Kitsune

Hello everyone! 

I just got into FFXIV few days ago after watching the Japanese show “Dad of Light” on Netflix. I was looking for more information when I stumbled into this site, foolishly thinking roleplaying equals JPRG (my fave FFs are VI and XII). But it turns out to be something even more interesting!

So yeah, I’m like a double newbie here, sorry haha! :) I’m playing on a PS4 and I’m still finding my way around the game interface and controls but I’ll get there! It’s the demo version and I’m seriously considering getting the full version!

I joined the Mateus server based on what I read here... I’m liking the game so far but I’m still unsure how to get into or find a RP group in the game. I also certainly don’t mind a few tips and pointers, so feel free to send me a message! If anyone don't mind being my temporary mentor/guide or something, please hola as well! (Notice me senpai!)

Thanks a lot!

welcome \o now is a decent time to jump in, as there's easily 100-200 hours of content across the core game, heavensward, and stormblood. couple of things:

1. do the hall of the novice quests, located in every starter city. they'll teach you mechanics and award you with gear.

2. you can level up every class and job, including crafting classes, on a single character. side quests, repeatable leve quests, and daily dungeons help with this. you can also buy fantasia potions to change your entire appearance and race.

3. following the main story quest, usually displayed in your upper left screen corner ingame, will take you to different level-appropriate areas. game is free to play until level 35.

4. read these guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3a6ffy/new_to_xiv_read_on/

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

lT0kaWD.png

glhf

Kieron certainly covered the game mechanics side well.

"Now that I am here, what do I do? An introduction to Eorzea" has some good resrources for people starting out in FF14
https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/index.php?/topic/18296-now-that-i-am-here-what-do-i-do-an-introduction-to-eorzea/

If you want to really delve into the lore of the lands, you can't do better than "Sounsyy's Lore Compilations Index"
https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/index.php?/topic/17092-sounsyys-lore-compilations-index/

If you're looking for roleplay, there's lots of us around. Generally, you can find RP around the main Inn/Adventurers Guild in each city. While anyone could be a roleplayer, many advertise it by showing a gold "RP" in front of their name. Likewise, many Free Companies advertise by having "RP" at the end of their initials.

And if you see a Tregarde running around (either Katarina, Moire or Luludja), feel free to strike up a conversation. Or maybe send a tell, that will certainly grab my attention.

Welcome to the RPC and also to Mateus!
Everyone has covered pretty much everything, so I do hope you enjoy your time on 14, on Mateus, and welcome to the roleplaying community!

Also Dad Of Light is <3, I just don't have the heart to get past the first episode, cause it reminds me to much of my own dad and I haha.

Sooo... I managed to get to the point where I arrived from Gridania (I'm a Miqo'te archer) to Ul'dah via my first airship quest. I head for The Quicksand (on the Mateus server) because I've read that where's the most RP folks are. Like in any real-life house party, I was bewildered and lost at same time, haha! :D

At the time when I was there, there wasn't much going on... There were lots of people hanging around but the general chat was slow. Is it right to assume that they were talking privately? I had a few friendly folks "waving" and "smiling" at me but that's about it. (I waved back too!) Forgive me for being such a noob, other than completing more quests while I'm in Ul'dah, I'm not sure what do next...?

I've only recently gotten into RP but i enjoy it alot. i'm currently trying to get my FC up and going. if you want to get really into it think of a backstory for your character what her aspirations are, and her personality. i'm also on mateus btw "hello!" after that its all about finding a group of people which i'm learning is quite hard when playing a male character lol. anyway if you ever want to practice send me friend request i'd love to help.

4 hours ago, Kitsune said:

I head for The Quicksand (on the Mateus server) because I've read that where's the most RP folks are. Like in any real-life house party, I was bewildered and lost at same time, haha! :D

At the time when I was there, there wasn't much going on... There were lots of people hanging around but the general chat was slow. Is it right to assume that they were talking privately?

That sounds like the Quicksand... other than the lack of open chat scroll, most of the time I see too much going on for me to keep up, hence why I rarely stop there.

Quicksands tends to be the massive RP hotspot on Mateus.Other locations tend to be much slower and you sometimes will run into a few roleplayers. Most folks are not scared to roleplay in public, but they may have private conversations happening-- but that is rare to see here.

If you are having some trouble finding roleplay, I'd suggest looking for an FC that may fit your character or join the two discord communities to see about RP events. There are a ton of RP events that happen every day, you just have to know where to hunt them down.