Questions of Race Anyone?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No wait, I can fix this!

After seeing Leanne from Resonance of Fate, I was really considering rolling a Hyur female. *3* But none of the hairstyles really resembled what I was going for, so.. so much for that!

My first inspiration for playing a Miqo'te Keeper was the CG render (is that what you call it? -stupidface-) on the FFXIV site, when you click on the sub-category... *3* â¥â¥â¥

There, a bit better? ;n; Sorry!

I'm still very much in the air about whether or not I'm gonna roll Lalafell or try something new this time and roll a Broegadyn.

For all intents and purposes I'd love to continue on my FFXI character who was a Taru Dragoon. But I made him the better half of a decade ago, and the things that appealed to me about the little guys no longer do I suppose. I'm a different person now than I was then xD And as such, my tastes have changed a bit.

Now during my alpha/beta days for 14, I've tried out both. And I very much enjoy both. So it's really very tough for me to decide. It really comes down to "I'll probably have more fun as a Broegadyn in terms of RP, but I'll probably have more fun playing through the game as a Lalafell."

In alpha and beta, I enjoyed Archer a lot. The big bows and animations looked awesome on Lalafell, and unfortunately much less so on Roeg's. (in my opinion).

Gah...it's such a tough decision. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PICK :cry:

Same problem! I just can't seem to get around only have ONE character. But Miqo'te...yes. That is it for me. But yeah, I can't wait to see the animations and Lala with a big bow? Awesomeness. Let us know what you choose :cat:

(I edited my original posting with a RL pic, to ask? Do you look at all like your character?)

Mia

I'm a bit late to throw my pence in, but I chose a Miqo'te Keeper NOT because they are cat-like. In fact, I don't think of them as cats at all. Unless there was an official source proving otherwise, I hope I don't see a /purr or /miao emote ever! I think of them more as half-beastmen/women. They are undeniably cute, but I was hoping to have the option of creating one that looked a bit older than the examples I've seen so far from the beta. Beggars can't be choosers though so I'll make do with whatever we get. :)

I was very torn between Elezen and Miqo'te. In the end, Miqo'te seemed to be more a bit more in line with what I was after - a nocturnal race, 'reticent', with a belief in phenomenal cosmic powerrrrsss (okay, just lunar powers), the list goes on.

It will be slightly interesting if it turns out that the server has a veritable Miqo'te invasion at release. :)

Everyone loves to root for the little guy. People seem to like to interact with the wee ones. It seems like many players I come across find them non threating, which can give me room to try to surprise them. Having a smaller perspective on things also makes all the stuff going on in the game feel a bit more grandiose to me.

I'm a bit late to throw my pence in' date=' but I chose a Miqo'te Keeper NOT because they are cat-like. In fact, I don't think of them as cats at all. Unless there was an official source proving otherwise, I hope I don't see a /purr or /miao emote ever! I think of them more as half-beastmen/women. They [b']are[/b] undeniably cute, but I was hoping to have the option of creating one that looked a bit older than the examples I've seen so far from the beta. Beggars can't be choosers though so I'll make do with whatever we get. :)

I was very torn between Elezen and Miqo'te. In the end, Miqo'te seemed to be more a bit more in line with what I was after - a nocturnal race, 'reticent', with a belief in phenomenal cosmic powerrrrsss (okay, just lunar powers), the list goes on.

It will be slightly interesting if it turns out that the server has a veritable Miqo'te invasion at release. :)

Random thought: It would be awesome if you could choose different beast types. (End of random thought)

Gah...it's such a tough decision. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PICK :cry:

Altair?

As for me, I'm going Elezen because I'm re-using Tyriont as he was in FFXI where he was Elvaan. There, I chose Elezan because they had the best options for long hair on a male as far as I was concerned >.> Once I get into the Open Beta I'll be settling on a final design for him this time around...I was almost tempted to make him blonde instead of black haired this time around, but then he'd look a little too much like me and I'm not sure I want to be that guy >.>

In the end, it'll go down to what I think suits him best.

Have to jump in on the /purr emote. Sorry, but I read the Miqo'te as very cat-like, and to me, I plan on using that feline-ness as an major part of Mia's psychology and um physiology. I play a cat? I get to purr deep down in my chest. I may only do a meow in private situations, but I am a cat lover, so yep, will be using feline attributes both in character development and interactions. Pounce. Sleep curled in my tail at times, be all haughty and then all attack mode. Curious. All of it in some ways, without I hope making her seem like a cat-cartoon.

Did that make sense?

Mia

It makes sense. I'm just worried we'll have a bunch of really generic cat-folk purring and playing with their tails all day.

Cat traits are all pretty similar, after all.

I can imagine all the chats now: All those extra "r's" and "-nya" suffixes.

You know, come to think of it, I have some very different cats at home. One is a goof-ball who has never met a stranger. Another disdains all contact except on HIS terms. Another can't climb anything. Another, well you get the idea. And let's not even talk about the six babies I rescued last night who wanted to sit on my feet and sleep. (And they call that many felines a "litter" for good reason :P

So maybe there is hope for some individuality. I promise to not purr in public unless absolutely necessary. But yeah, the cat emote thing could get pretty disturbing after a bit since there are so many of us.

M.

i'm afraid I share Noëlle's fear. While it's true that cats are completely different, it seems like a lot of catgirls from other places follow more or less the same mold of a cutesy, young girl, adding "Nya" after every sentence, wearing a bell collar, etc. I'm hoping it will be different among the roleplayers here, but we'll see.

I wish for once we could get dog people. And am I the only one who never really thought of mithra as the cutesy nyanya mrow purr things? I always pictured them as straight up hunters. They are never depicted in ffxi all cutesy, are they?

Valid point that one.

I had no intention or playing out any noticibly cat-like traits.

perhaps a hunter-like instinct, but none of the usual stuff asociated with the generic cat-girl.

And, rather than "dog" people, couldn't we half "wolf-people".

It gives off a better image, and all the females are less likely to be referred to as "bitches" on a regular basis.

Valid point that one.

I had no intention or playing out any noticibly cat-like traits.

perhaps a hunter-like instinct, but none of the usual stuff asociated with the generic cat-girl.

And, rather than "dog" people, couldn't we half "wolf-people".

It gives off a better image, and all the females are less likely to be referred to as "bitches" on a regular basis.

Well, technically a female wolf is still a bitch. And people overuse wolves now. I remember liking them before they were 'cool'.....

Like Tadir, I envisioned mithra/miqo'te being cat-like in the sense that they are very predatory by nature, but don't really cross that line into cutesy catgirls. I do think that some natural cat traits can be expected, such as sleeping with a curled tail, going from calm to alert in a split second, etc.

The key is that these things shouldn't be elements of a cat persona caricature-ized, but rather base elements that would influence realistic and natural behaviors to a level that is something other-than-human. The hunters in the CoP storyline from XI come to mind, with their unyielding nature being an extension of those cats that just won't stop chasing that invisible fly.

Also, for all those who want wolf-people, I hear there's a cataclysm coming soon. :cat:

...I'm kidding, don't hit me! D:

I wish for once we could get dog people. And am I the only one who never really thought of mithra as the cutesy nyanya mrow purr things? I always pictured them as straight up hunters. They are never depicted in ffxi all cutesy' date=' are they?[/quote']

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see them too, and one of the reasons I based Seraj more on a puma than on a housecat :P

Well, technically a female wolf is still a bitch. And people overuse wolves now. I remember liking them before they were 'cool'.....

was kind've joking, y'know.

I remember liking everything before it was "cool", who doesn't!?

etc.

Oh~ that's what I wanted to say, but much better written than what I could do!

Maybe I should just go back to lurking.