The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central)

YesGood

What do you do at the tournament?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do at the tournament?

What an achievement! 

Our IC coverage of the200th Grindstone is now available in the Crystal Chronicle, 28th edition, alongwith some information about the history of the Grindstone.

P.S. The CrystalChronicle is looking for a dedicated sports reporter. If you like tournament events like the Grindstone, Runestone and Spellguard and would be interested in writing about the highlights, interviewing champions and the like, we would love to hear from you! Just send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight! Grindstone number 209! 57 people turned out to beat each other up, and only one man returned to the top! Congratulations to Denz De'bayle on his victory, defeating Tetebino Hihibino in what feels like the lalafells billionth time to the finals! Next time, my friend!

AcLk08p.jpg

Did you know next week the Grindstone turns four? Holy shit!

With 43 people turning up in the desert for violence, and 42 of them going home empty-handed, Grindstone #210 is in the books! I know by calendar it isn't entirely accurate, but it was just about 4 years ago that this thread was created! Happy birthday, Grindstone! I hereby declare the first Saturday in October to be our anniversary.

Many congratulations to first-time(?) champion Reinhardt Pendragon!

BTGgEtq.jpg

Another Grindstone wrapped up in just about 4 hours! Tonight saw 49 people fighting it out to take home the intangible crown of Grindstone champion, and when we were all said and done, we put up a new one! Congratulations to Ruruni Runi on her first total victory at the Grindstone!

k7KOjou.jpg

SHE BLINKED IN THE FIRST ONE BUT IT WAS CUTE, SO

AJ0apNo.jpg

We'll be back for next week's Grindstone, as ever!

In the meanwhile, are you putting together a SPOOKY COSTUME for October 28th? No? Why the hells not?! We'll be celebrating Halloween (and All Saint's Wake) that weekend! Put together something snazzy and turn up for it!

Grindstone #212 is done before 2am somehow! We saw a handful of returning faces as well as a new group of new ones, but the final round came down to two regulars duking it out! At long last, Videra Svenay claims the title!

OCBKz7i.jpg

F3C8nzf.jpg

And now with absolutely zero notice: Next week is the last Grindstone before Halloween, so anyone interested is encouraged to come in costume to help celebrate All Saint's Wake in game! I know the Grindstone Staff has kicked around at least two group costume ideas, so come be dorks with us and dress up!

Halloween Grindstone! Tonight we had 51 people turn up to scoop each other's pumpkin innards, and at the end of the day there could only be one man standing! Congratulations to Nyt'aris Suyn on pushing the payload all the way to the end of the night!

MTKU91Q.jpg

Of course, tonight was the celebration of All Saint's Wake and we saw more than our fair share of costumes! Check these out!

wm8YL70.jpg

The lovely Jancis Milburga as Yda! That's not the cash shop costume, she legit found the gear for it!

POh6AqD.jpg

Vampire John Waterstrike, longtime Grindstone healer, vants to sock Howl's blud! Howl showing off his stylish Lucio costume!

ITpHiXU.jpg

Additional Lucio, Dracula and Witch Mercy (Artemis Newton!)

oVitu65.jpg

Kophon Sunlily as Tracer, Lucerna Sainahs as Mei, Aoi Obibata as Garlean Werewolf!

w44dH78.jpg

A closer look at Yda, Mei and Werewolf! Aroo!

jMC0pcT.jpg

Sailor Moon showed up and has no idea what is happening!

sE0Vejm.jpg

The Turners, a Hugh Heffnoix bunny pin-up, Estinien, and a trio of dudes!

qlJ64lN.jpg

Shifu as Shiva!

2GLktIK.jpg

Cami! Ike, who fights for his friends!

lmngOMS.jpg

Look, we all had to put up with Hammersmith like this so now you do too.

PLAY OF THE GAME: GRINDSTONE.

dVu6sr4.jpg

Yda, Tracer, Lucio, Werewolf, Mei, Soldier:76, Mercy, Reinhardt

Ten thousands thanks to everyone who showed up tonight, hung out, took part, and otherwise encouraged us.

Next week I will be absent for the Grindstone because I will be taking part in our annual Extra Life for Children charity stream! You can check us out here or here for the official stream and here for the recordings of dumb things we've done! Hannah Castille will be handling things in my stead and we will be trying to provide live commentary on the stream.

Really though, just give us your money. We'll play a retro game you like for a while if you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Grindstone #216, wherein no one died! Contrary to popular belief, no one was murderered for insulting the entire Grindstone staff and trying to make a scene.

Never happened.

Don't know what you heard.

Congratulations to Obsidian Darksian in their debut and win! I swear to the Twelve that happens all the time.

u6dWPfp.jpg

NO MURDERS.

Last night we had an incident.

Someone who is known to be disruptive at events turned up and was disruptive at our event. I want to clarify a couple of things.

There are a lot of hard working people behind the scenes at the Grindstone. I appreciate that it looks fairly autonomous from the outside, but there's a linkshell of constant chatter going on through the whole event. Healers and overseers and volunteers coordinating to make sure that, for the people participating, things happen automatically. I can't express enough thanks to the folks who help maintain that illusion week in, week out, and generally speaking it's a positive experience for everyone to both participate and organize the Grindstone. Sometimes, though, people want to test that.

We don't turn people away based on concept. So long as you obey the rules, you're good to take part in our event. There's an unspoken rule that I guess needs to be spoken, though: Participating is a privilege, not a right. Pushing boundaries on rules to save face is certainly a thing people can do, but just as people have the right to act distasteful, our organizers (chiefly me) have the right to uninvite you. This isn't a tamping-down on freedom of speech or anything, but let me be blunt: Calling someone (who is volunteering their free time to help provide your roleplay experience) a cunt is a surefire way to make everyone upset with you both ICly and OOCly. This isn't about bleeding, either. The Grindstone isn't run by robots, as mentioned, and there are always consequences for our actions ICly.

Don't be disruptive at events and insult the people providing your stage to act on. If you do, be prepared for the consequences. If you are hostile to people ICly, be prepared to be treated as hostile. I acknowledge that I certainly took things too far last night, but I won't apologize for going along with someone's behavior as my own character would respond. I agree that outright murder is a powerplay and I agree that a retcon is in order, both on the side of fairness and helping close things out in a smoother fashion. Lifetime ban is appropriate, banning life is not.

If you want to know why events close down or get canceled, though, it's this shit right here: Last night 1 person out of 34 decided that they needed to make things about them, and that drags on everyone, from the top to the bottom. It's this kind of behavior that wears people out. Don't do it. If you're going to an event to have fun, have fun. Don't justify "well that's just my character, man" because while it's all good to have your own brand of fun, that's not roleplaying. That's being a dick.

Don't be a dick. Mother of God, why do I have to point this out.

Grindstone #217 is finished! Numbers were up slightly as 46 people came out to do battle in Central Thanalan, and we've crowned a return winner! Congratulations to Percival Turner on his SIXTH Grindstone victory!

uQERaKx.jpg

Pictured here with his allies Phantom Marmot and The Astounding Bee.

So, we're almost done with the 2017 calendar year and that means we're almost out of money to hand out to winners! Mark the date for January 6th, 2018 as we reopen bids for Open Fight Night!

Tonight's Grindstone saw a decent 42 people line up to bash each other's heads in, and tongiht we branded Errol Vennoix our champion! Errol is yet another first timer who won the whole damn thing, so give him a shout out or tell if you see him!

EmW0LAd.jpg

As a reminder, the first Grindstone of 2018 is going to be an open fight night! Bid what you think is a fair sum to call someone out and get the match of your dreams!

Happy Starlight festivities! Tonight's Grindstone saw a mighty 55 people show up to ring in the end of the year(ish) by beating the living hell out of each other! In the end, our final round went 2-2 like so many others in a dramatic bout between a returning champion and a first-time fighter who ended up taking home the top prize! Congratulations to Kerain North on their debut victory!

YdiarST.jpg

The end of the year is fast approaching! There's only two more Grindstones before we roll into 2018 if you can believe it, and next week we'll be celebrating Starlight more properly with The Winter Slay-ride! Come dressed in your holiday's finest and bring the exotic weaponry and have a good time during the holiday weekend!