Hydaelyn Role-Players
The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way (/showthread.php?tid=9930)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Chris Ganale - 02-10-2015

I don't have a problem with the Quicksand. A lot of people, however, do, which makes it difficult to find RP. And insofar as the point of telling other people "hey, I've created a new RP hub" well, if it was so easy, why is the QS still the one spot known to everyone?

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - SicketySix - 02-10-2015

(02-10-2015, 08:52 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: I don't have a problem with the Quicksand. A lot of people, however, do, which makes it difficult to find RP. And insofar as the point of telling other people "hey, I've created a new RP hub" well, if it was so easy, why is the QS still the one spot known to everyone?

If you are wanting to find some other place different, man I am right there with you!

Let me know what you find and I am there!

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Chris Ganale - 02-10-2015

Brother, if only I could find them. The only place I know of is my FC house, which is ICly a tavern that we occasionally RP at when prompted or we decide to have a tavern night.

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Rila - 02-11-2015

(02-09-2015, 10:08 PM)Reshie Wrote: I view the IC/OOC boundary as being a very simple and very clear divide for me. This is a character who I am playing to match their own distinct personality. Are there parts of me in this character? Yes because I can't play something I don't understand but that being said I am not that character. I had a lot of issues in SWTOR with people feeling that I was my character and it caused a lot of problems that have made me a little gunshy about RPing. That being said, I view the character as the character. You are not your character and I am not going to assume such. Just because the characters are friends does not mean you are my friend OOC and we're all buddy buddy. That's just not how it works.

I don't mind OOC communication but traditionally that communication stays about the characters and their interactions.

I've only RPed on FFXIV for a couple of weeks, but from what I've observed, my personal preference is the opposite of this. I have some anxiety OOC and RPing with new people is oftentimes nerve-wracking for me. My creativity suffers under pressure. I freeze up, panic, and struggle to visualize my character's responses. And when I finally do respond (usually because I'm pushing myself to do it in a more timely manner), it sounds canned, like I'm playing a caricature. Which of course then adds mortification to that anxiety.

On the other hand, if I'm already on decent terms with someone OOC and have a general sense of who that other player is, I feel a lot less nervous and am able to have a lot of fun, regardless of whether we're playing friends or enemies. I agree with many other posters in that it all boils down to communication. I'm a big fan of talking to someone OOC to get a good sense of whether they're enjoying themselves and what their expectations are. My character can be hyperactive and obnoxious, and, depending on the other person's energy level at a given time, she may not be their cup of tea - and that's fine. I'm perfectly happy to resume a scene at a later date. The same is true in reverse: if something starts to happen IC that bothers me, I want to feel comfortable shooting the other person a tell, and I'm much more likely to feel comfortable starting a conversation like that with a friend.

To me, RPing is like any other social activity: playing golf, throwing a frisbee. But really I want to compare it to sitting next to someone watching a movie. I like to be able to share a laugh at funny moments, a roll of the eye at the derpy moments and the occasional meaningful commentary at a scene here or there. I'm not going to want to talk non-stop throughout the show of course, but you probably get the gist of it.

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Gegenji - 02-11-2015

(02-11-2015, 12:48 PM)Rila Wrote: But really I want to compare it to sitting next to someone watching a movie. I like to be able to share a laugh at funny moments, a roll of the eye at the derpy moments and the occasional meaningful commentary at a scene here or there. I'm not going to want to talk non-stop throughout the show of course, but you probably get the gist of it.

I do that here and there. I'll goofy OOCly about how the RP is going, on typos, and so on. Heck, sometimes I'll even carry on completely separate conversations on OOC topics on LS/FC/tells, albeit only if the RP is such that my full attention is needed. It helps to keep a bit of disconnect from the super serious dramatic conversations when you're linking silly animal pics in your LS.

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Caspar - 02-11-2015

Yeah, I'll readily admit that improv rp with strangers and no plan is pretty difficult for me to get my head around. I like to plan things out OOC. I've gotten used to and enjoy spontaneous rp for casual characterization, but if anything really complex happens, I'm going to want to start penning up a semi-planned story. Not that it's fixed in stone; I usually only have a vague outline and some goals in mind, as well as some lovely scenes conceived of, but I like to have an idea of where I'm going and where the other player wants to go beforehand.

And because I tend to unconsciously write my way into sad or dreary dialogue, I like to keep OOC banter going, because it helps lighten the mood. I don't resemble my characters at all, who often have difficult lives or suffer a tragic fate.

RE: The IC/OOC boundary and how to approach it the SMILE way - Nebbs - 02-11-2015

(02-11-2015, 02:30 PM)Caspar Wrote: Yeah, I'll readily admit that improv rp with strangers and no plan is pretty difficult for me to get my head around....

I much prefer improv, but it requires others to also go along. I don't mind taking it easy, and it is a great way to draw people out and build on any hooks they may share.

For me RP is much better when you give, and it is also great to receive.

Help others to RP their characters and you will get more out of it than just RPing your own.