Hydaelyn Role-Players
Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? (/showthread.php?tid=11216)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - OttoVann - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:27 PM)Casden Reeves Wrote: If you are easily swayed to act or respond a certain way according to another users post count, rep points, or colored name, you're gonna have a bad time in life. My advice is stop trying to copy ssomeone else, and be yourself.

Taking away a number baserd rep/post count will solve nothing. The newbie forum poster who is swayed one way to another by post/rep count will still be swayed by just figuring out that another poster is popular. You may as well all limit us to a 5 post per day limit so nobody becomes popular, we wouldn't want them to be able to sway peoples opinions.....

Don't intentionally misconstrue me. A lot of people here outright ignore anything that someone posts who joined recently, posts little, or lacks high value-rep. This is not at all about new people being swayed to anything. This isn't about stopping popular people from being liked, it's about hiding post-counts/join dates get typically ignored. A lot of us have been around a lot of forums for a long time, and we all know it happens. Why not just remove many of the common tools that people use to easily discriminate?

More importantly, if we're actually being honest, most 'popular' people here sequester themselves away into google hangouts and skype group chats and ignore almost everyone here not in those groups, that are invite only.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - ArmachiA - 04-22-2015

Is there a way to pull a Something Awful/4chan and like if someone says something snarky at the bottom of the post it says:

[User was given a warning for this post]

[User was banned for this post]

Instead of completely editing it? Or would that not go over well?

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - OttoVann - 04-22-2015

I'd like that, however, on those sites' forums, typically when someone gets those messages everyone else goes complete apeshit and says MODS = GODS. It becomes a huge humor spectacle when it happens, lots of laughing.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Harmonixer - 04-22-2015

I did it, I finally read through everyone's posts!

I'm actually surprised that a fair amount of people that I thought would have opinions on this, are no where to be found. I'm hardly instigating, mind you. It was really an observation.

Speaking of which, I've had the pleasure of speaking to a fair amount of you now. In my short, 3ish months on being actually active on this game? I made a few friends, working on some new ones and have for the most part discovered who I'll be avoiding and luckily, more than I'd like to pursue continued interactions with.

You might ask 'wtf does this have to do with anything?' Well, none of it would have happened if I hadn't met people on here in some way. Be it LS, FCs, whatever. Lots of posts catch my eye. I've actually been lurking here since 1.0. I just never bothered to reg because I wasn't actively playing and I enjoy being part of a community semi-actively.

I've watched people come and go, see the 'drama' and seen lots of very happy people. But more recently, it's seemed mostly positive. A lot of the threads I've participated in, were pretty cool discussions and I learned a lot of stuff. Some of the so-called troublemakers are actually really grand people, come to find out. At least, from my interactions.

I didn't list my character for a long time, I don't have a wiki because the race I plan to play isn't even in the game yet. When I joined some LS, the most common thing I heard was 'holy chit, you're Harmonixer from RPC? I didn't even realize'. Part of that was the plan, I guess?

There are definitely cliques here. There are certainly celebs, even if you don't want to be labeled as such. I'm sorry, it's just something that happens in social circles. However the things you do with such labels, chosen or not, is very important.

I've said it before, -most- of the people I've interacted with have been very kind of me. I don't really leave an impression around here I don't think. Most people don't even recognize my character in game. (Who can blame them, I've fantasia'd him oocly a number of times, I didn't even start actively rping him until maybe a month ago?) Whenever I've asked about events, I'm given the proper info or directed to where I can find it. If I've asked someone to RP, they are able to communicate to me accurately if they can or want to. I have been ignored, but I know for mostly certainty that it was not intentional.

There are people that have said things to me that have -really- rubbed me the wrong way. It's vague, I know. But the catch is I've not thought to myself:

'This community is really hostile.'

Or

'Things sure are heating up.'

I don't think I'm popular. I don't think I'm hated. I like to think I'm mostly neutral in the regard to the general populous.

Things I have noticed:

A fair number of people who aren't regulars are very quick to proclaim 'RPC is a shithole! It's so fucked up how this and this happens, and me-me-me-me and my friends are really looked down on!'

Some of the more popular people have even said things much to my shock like 'So and so is a horrible person and this and that!' when me, the person typing this has seen nothing but wonderful things coming out of this persons fingertips on my screen.

Does that mean they are indeed faultless and not capable of things that they are being accused of behind their back? No, but I would say the sheer amount of negativity coming from people that have shown me that they are mostly negative and generally unhappy sure does tell me a LOT about their own thought process.

Surprise, I don't think a single one of us here is special. I actually think a fair amount of you are wonderful, I hope some of you who have taken the time to listen to what I've said think I'm at least somewhat worthwhile. But I'm not going to get really hung up if you don't. The community that I normally frequent is extremely hostile and very hateful. I've seen some absolutely horrible shit come from it.

Which brings me to the next part.

If I had to really wager on the subject. I'd say more good is coming from here than harm. Most of the raw things being said, are behind each others backs. I usually get to hear about it from people because of gossip, random things I catch from going to events and just observing in general. I don't think removing rep or stars or whatever is going to make a bit of difference.

I don't think 'growing thicker skin' or 'being more sensitive' is suddenly going to fix stuff. It's going to take effort on all parties to figure out what they are really trying to say. Altho I do agree some people need to stop playing victim, because that actually is taking place in a lot of cases.

My theory is, the people who think this place is the worst thing ever will do better to just actually leave. I don't think their horrible people at all. I think they'll be happier exposing themselves to different outlets and realize that they are as much of the problem as they claim to be against.

Someone recently pointed out to me, it's healthy to vent a little. Without the intent to harm others, sometimes you just have to bitch a little. I'm supportive of this, but once it becomes a consuming facet of your existence, it's better for you to place your passion somewhere else. You'll be happier, I promise you.

As for the OP? I think it's just a matter of some people being much bolder with their opinions because more people are becoming brave enough to say things in general. It's a rise, a reaction and it's not very different from how it's always been. Denial on my behalf? I certainly hope not, nothing is at stake for me here.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Edvyn - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:36 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Is there a way to pull a Something Awful/4chan and like if someone says something snarky at the bottom of the post it says:

[User was given a warning for this post]

[User was banned for this post]

Instead of completely editing it? Or would that not go over well?
i'd love that shit personally, bring it on

[sub]Moderator note: do not say that the mods smell bad or you will be getting a punishment friend![/sub]
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

MOD EDIT:
(USER WAS GENUINELY BANNED FOR THIS POST FOR FALSELY ADVERTISING ACTIONS NOT TAKEN BY SITE STAFF)

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Faye - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:38 PM)OttoVann Wrote: I'd like that, however, on those sites' forums, typically when someone gets those messages everyone else goes complete apeshit and says MODS = GODS. It becomes a huge humor spectacle when it happens, lots of laughing.

^ Transparency is nice, especially because people are silly and like to believe that if they don't see the punishment, it doesn't happen, but ultimately making a spectacle of disciplinary actions keeps the drama going longer and leads to more hurt feelings in most cases.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Aya - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Don't intentionally misconstrue me.  A lot of people here outright ignore anything that someone posts who joined recently, posts little, or lacks high value-rep.  This is not at all about new people being swayed to anything.  This isn't about stopping popular people from being liked, it's about hiding post-counts/join dates get typically ignored.  A lot of us have been around a lot of forums for a long time, and we all know it happens.  Why not just remove many of the common tools that people use to easily discriminate?

More importantly, if we're actually being honest, most 'popular' people here sequester themselves away into google hangouts and skype group chats and ignore almost everyone here not in those groups, that are invite only.
Really?  Our community is so small that everyone knows everyone else, who is hiding those post counts supposed to fool?

Ultimately I really feel that this is an overall positive and mature community that has provided a generally phenomenal atmosphere since I first joined it.  We don't require a heavy hand to do so, and certainly don't need the scissors taken away from us so that we don't hurt ourselves.  A little reminder of the ancient wisdom of Wyld Stallyns is, I suspect, all that is really needed most of the time: "Be excellent to each other." 

I think moderator input to posters perceived as causing problems is all that would be helpful in most cases (we do not have any real trolls here, its part of why I love this community).  This input should perhaps be more quick to respond than it is at the moment (and the usual process of closing threads and whatnot is always an unfortunate necessity).  But heavy-handed attempts to shape the community from the top are both unnecessary, and likely to cause more harm than good to this environment.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Flashhelix - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote: A lot of people here outright ignore anything that someone posts who joined recently, posts little, or lacks high value-rep.

I haven't seen anything even remotely resembling this. Hint-hint. If you post, and then somebody with a higher rep posts, then people start responding to that person's post instead of yours, chances are that those people know that person, and are their friends. So if we're gonna start demonizing having friends on the RPC then I think there's gonna be a serious case of butts in the mustard, friend

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Melkire - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote: A lot of people here outright ignore anything that someone posts who joined recently, posts little, or lacks high value-rep.

Hiding these things, while possibly worthwhile, doesn't stop this from happening, at least not according to my previous moderating experiences. People respond more frequently to people they know or have interacted with before. That's just how it is. That's just how people are.

Thought I'd point that out.

(04-22-2015, 06:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote:

I haven't seen anything even remotely resembling this. Hint-hint. If you post, and then somebody with a higher rep posts, then people start responding to that person's post instead of yours, chances are that those people know that person, and are their friends. So if we're gonna start demonizing having friends on the RPC then I think there's gonna be a serious case of butts in the mustard, friend

But no one said we are demonizing having friends until you did, and we both know that you knew that wasn't my point. I'm also skeptical that hiding the fact that someone joined two weeks ago versus two years ago does that, or that someone who has 30 posts compared to 3000 posts all of a sudden having an equalized voice ala post count/rep hidden does that.

(04-22-2015, 06:43 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Hiding these things, while possibly worthwhile, doesn't stop this from happening, at least not according to my previous moderating experiences. People respond more frequently to people they know or have interacted with before. That's just how it is. That's just how people are.

Thought I'd point that out.

Oh I know it wont stop it, and theres nothing wrong with people being dismissive of those that aren't their friends, that's their choice. But it does lessen the effect when everyones posts are normalized in there efficacy when a majority of forum goers on any forum use seniority markers to gauge how much value to give a post they just read.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Kellach Woods - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:43 PM)Aya Wrote: Really?  Our community is so small that everyone knows everyone else, who is hiding those post counts supposed to fool?

Everyone knows everyone else, really?

That I have to question. Same with the assumption that everyone's friends here.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Flashhelix - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:49 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 06:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote:

But no one said we are demonizing having friends until you did, and we both know that you knew that wasn't my point. I'm also skeptical that hiding the fact that someone joined two weeks ago versus two years ago does that, or that someone who has 30 posts compared to 3000 posts all of a sudden having an equalized voice ala post count/rep hidden does that.

everybody already has an equalized voice, this is one shabby sheila of an argument here, we've got radish up to our quarterstacks and the meaning of my post wasn't clear

rep/post counts only have meaning to people who don't have them and thus blame the lack of such on why they don't get more attention than they'd like, an artificial problem

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - Aya - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:53 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 06:43 PM)Aya Wrote: Really?  Our community is so small that everyone knows everyone else, who is hiding those post counts supposed to fool?
Everyone knows everyone else, really?

That I have to question. Same with the assumption that everyone's friends here.
I think most of the regular users know who the other regular uses are and recognize a new person without any reference to a post count, yes :-X

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - SicketySix - 04-22-2015

(04-22-2015, 06:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 06:27 PM)Casden Reeves Wrote: If you are easily swayed to act or respond a certain way according to another users post count, rep points, or colored name, you're gonna have a bad time in life. My advice is stop trying to copy ssomeone else, and be yourself.

Taking away a number baserd rep/post count will solve nothing. The newbie forum poster who is swayed one way to another by post/rep count will still be swayed by just figuring out that another poster is popular. You may as well all limit us to a 5 post per day limit so nobody becomes popular, we wouldn't want them to be able to sway peoples opinions.....

Don't intentionally misconstrue me. A lot of people here outright ignore anything that someone posts who joined recently, posts little, or lacks high value-rep. This is not at all about new people being swayed to anything. This isn't about stopping popular people from being liked, it's about hiding post-counts/join dates get typically ignored. A lot of us have been around a lot of forums for a long time, and we all know it happens. Why not just remove many of the common tools that people use to easily discriminate?

In part, this is excatly what I mean about people being fragile. I replied to no one in particular but the overall topic in general, and you took it as "intentionally misconstrue me" simply because I disagreed.

Now you may have not meant anything by this, I'm just using it as an example.

RE: Complaint/Rant/Thing: What's with all the aggression lately? - K'nahli - 04-22-2015

I have difficulty believing that such things really deter people from reading the posts of newer/less frequent users. If it's a topic you're skimming through anyways and are only curious for a specific few's answers then yeah, sure. Otherwise I imagine that everyone is curious to read any and all input.

Albeit that's just me. I can't really say that it's not a possibility either.