Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aya - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:24 PM)Nako Wrote: Best contraceptive? sleep outside of your species. Babeha are garaunteed to be rare then *sagenod*
This is something that's always hand-waved in every MMO RPG ever.  Pregnancy occurs when desired, and not when it isn't.  There's always some handy explanation ranging from good luck to contraceptive herbal remedies (which are universally effective and available!)  Fantasy is fantasy Smile

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Mae - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: With all the talk about sexuality and the fact that evvvvvvreryones doin' it.... What is the form of contraception in Eorzea?  Do you rub aether on your dingledoos?  Are there condoms?  And as an aside, if you're rping that you are impregnated by aether cuz "u don't need no man!" I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.  Hey, go hard or go home! 

Lol this isn't intended to rustle any jimmies. I'm just in a silly mood. However, I am actually curious about the use of conception in the setting..not that Amelia will need it or anything...>.> she's going to be pure forever.
Here you go.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - C'kayah Polaali - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:21 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 11:47 AM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 05:28 AM)Smiling River Wrote: That is that FFXIV "races" aren't really races, they are different species.
*ahem*

I am going to be pedantic here and explain that, no, they are not separate species at all. They are, in fact, all the same species of Man, all being capable of crossbreeding (and those crossbreeds capable of breeding themselves). By the standard definition of 'species' that alone disqualifies them from being considered separate.

Begging your pardon, but do you have a source for that? I'd like to read it. ;P

Here you go, Zhavi. The relevant section is:

Quote:Can different races crossbreed?

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - C'kayah Polaali - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:27 PM)Aya Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 02:24 PM)Nako Wrote: Best contraceptive? sleep outside of your species. Babeha are garaunteed to be rare then *sagenod*
This is something that's always hand-waved in every MMO RPG ever.  Pregnancy occurs when desired, and not when it isn't.  There's always some handy explanation ranging from good luck to contraceptive herbal remedies (which are universally effective and available!)  Fantasy is fantasy Smile

I knew a RPer who went against this. Her character slept with someone, then she rolled a die and said "Whelp, got a bun in the oven!"

It made for interesting RP... Tongue

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Gegenji - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:43 PM)C'kaya Polaali Wrote: Here you go, Zhavi. The relevant section is:

Quote:Can different races crossbreed?

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

I've been media'd. I can't see the phrase "love and marriage" anymore without immediately thinking of the opening theme to Married with Children.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kage - 01-29-2015

Thanks now I have the song in my head.

I think one of the scenes with Ifrit also calls everevery PC "of Man"

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aya - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:44 PM)C Wrote: I knew a RPer who went against this. Her character slept with someone, then she rolled a die and said "Whelp, got a bun in the oven!"

It made for interesting RP... Tongue
I know that some people do that (I've had a GM do that in pen and paper games too!), but at some level she accepted and wanted that risk (it may not have been her desired outcome, but obviously if she'd really not wanted that chance, she'd have not rolled the die).  That's just the way it is when no biology is actually involved Smile

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - FreelanceWizard - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:46 PM)Kage Wrote: I think one of the scenes with Ifrit also calls everevery PC "of Man"

To add to this, the lyrics of one of the verses of Under the Weight (the final Titan phase music) are:

"Bow down, overlander, your lord commands
There's no salvation for the Sons of Man"

Ramuh also speaks about the darkness that lies in the hearts of Men in the cutscene prelude to unlocking his trial.

It seems to be a common theme among Primals, at least, that all of the player character races are "Man."

Show Content

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Oli! - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:52 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 03:45 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I just wish more people outright admitted that they had no interest in sticking to the lore instead of pulling out the card of 'I can do what I want, FREEDOM AND LIBERTY' that is becoming alarming common in debates such as this.
[Look at all these things I agree with!]

This, and forcing borderline fanon for things that aren't common knowledge (and I mean, like, really forcing it, like "your character's an idiot if you don't listen to me" levels of forcing it) are the two things that give me Severe Roleplayer Migraines, which is a real disease and the actual One True Threat to America.

Also, guild death is always sad, and finding people that think alike / are similar to that group after things like that is always hard. I hope you find good people.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kage - 01-29-2015

Yes!

Show Content

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2tc5fk/spoiler_midgardsomr_japanese_versus_english/ <- because I'm too lazy to grab cutscenes

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Caspar - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:52 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 03:45 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I just wish more people outright admitted that they had no interest in sticking to the lore instead of pulling out the card of 'I can do what I want, FREEDOM AND LIBERTY' that is becoming alarming common in debates such as this.

The biggest frustrations for me, is trying to wrap my head around in-characterly handling completely conflicting information. I'm not that type of person that likes to disregard people, characters or encounters at all, even if they go entirely against what I know to be true. One person Kino trusts is changing their form all the time because "fantasia flows like water thanks to the alchemist's guild," while another character Kino trusts staunchly tells her that such a thing is beyond our current ken. Okay. One friend gets pregnant through [MAGIC MEANS] while modern biology (and I assume the common opinion of characters in-game) tells us this isn't possible. How does Kino, or any other character, react to the fact that there is conflicting information on THINGS THAT WOULD BE COMMON KNOWLEDGE.
I understand this frustration pretty well, because I played in a crossover rp forum a long time ago that basically had an "anything goes" attitude about the setting. Generally, the tl;dr of what I think on the lore and contradicting it is if you're skilled enough to handwave it, go for it, but only if. In this case, I joined a forum that I normally wouldn't have on behest of a friend, and when I got there, I found there were a lot of contradictory bits of setting information for the roughly Earth-like shared world that everything from Naruto to the Arthurian legends existed in... I think the worst thing was common knowledge stuff, like cities that apparently existed; How to reconcile the existence of Midgard in the real world? Where is it? Does every city have a Shinra Corp presence, and do they all use Mako? Then for the many characters derived from games and anime who used some sort of setting exclusive power source, there were like five different versions of chi, reiatsu, chakra and odic energy, and every player seemed to insist theirs was distinct from the others, despite them all essentially describing the same concept... 

I do get frustrated when peoples' details flagrantly contradict something. I do try to be forgiving, but I can see why someone would want to play very strictly according to the lore with some exceptions.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-29-2015

but... I dunno, that could just be a common ancestor or referring to the fact that they're all intelligent.

But not really something that affects rp so I'll just not think about it. >>

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Melkire - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 03:19 PM)Zhavi Wrote: but... I dunno, that could just be a common ancestor or referring to the fact that they're all intelligent.

But not really something that affects rp so I'll just not think about it.  >>

This is how I've always seen it. Without developer commentary to the contrary, "Man" seems to be a stand-in for "sapient" and less a reference to a common ancestry. The only support for the latter is the distinction between playable races and beastmen, but then you get into a sticky situation where lore says that they're only called "beastmen" due to Garlean propaganda....

idk. I'm rambling.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - FreelanceWizard - 01-29-2015

What's interesting, though, is that the Primals (certainly Ramuh) appear to be making a distinction between the player character races (Man) and the "beast" races in the dialogue.

I'm not convinced that's a strong indication of common ancestry, personally, but it's an interesting tidbit (certainly about how Primals see the world, and they have been around for a while Smile ).

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Caspar - 01-29-2015

If I can use "man," then that's good. Because it is hard to use Spoken as an alternative for it in some sentences, and I have to do so frequently due to my character's backstory.