Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your Characters' Names! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Your Characters' Names! (/showthread.php?tid=10259)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Gone. - 02-22-2015

Vetiver has two names, a chosen and a birth. I'll discuss the former first:

Vetiver - it's a grass, a very fragrant one frequently used in perfumes. All of my character's given names are based off of a flower, spice, herb, etc. I've also used this name for years now and her favorite color happens to be green.

Chastain - After Jessica Chastain, the actress. All of my family names are based off actors as I'm a huge film nerd.

On the subject of her birth name: it's Pahja Aliapoh. This one has nothing truly special behind it, I simply ran that handy name generator over and over until I got a pair I thought suited her. :3

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Cynel1 - 02-22-2015

Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Aaron - 02-22-2015

Aaron is my first name and before people call me unoriginal I like to think Aaron is actually a nice believable name for a human Hyur. But his initial name was going to be Advent but that sounded weird.

I've had 3 surnames I pondered over Aaron, Glacier (initial) -> Iceblood -> finally settled wuth Frostheart.

Aaron is a reluctant and unknowingly cold character in attitude just because he doesn't like depending on others or failing to help others so he shuts everyone out. I wanted a name that reflected the sad cold personality he's unwillingly kept for so long and because of this has a lot of people disliking him (IC at least, pretty sure im cool OOC!).

So, Frostheart shows he's not exactly a cold spiteful character, but just scared deep down and hides it by acting like he doesn't care. Thus I used "frost" for Frostheart to show he's not 100% cold hearted. And the heart part is pretty self explanatory. 

I think I did good, if only my rp portrayed the theme in my head as good as I wanted it too lol

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Aaron - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:06 PM)Cynel1 Wrote: Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.
Fenrir is a mythical wolf in Norse mythology that ate Odin. So you have something to work with!

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Coatleque - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:06 PM)Cynel1 Wrote: Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Fenrir is from Norse mythology

Coatleque is a derivative of Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec god.
I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

(02-22-2015, 11:18 PM)Coatleque Wrote:

I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Ligardian Dreamer - 02-22-2015

Alexander means Defender of Mankind... Including the bit where there are at least one or two Alexander's in general FF lore, I wanted to keep that in as a way to reflect that bit onto the character.... and because I am personally attach to that name.... Gomez, however, was more of a... personal choice out on a whim. It actually does not follow the normal naming convention for Midlander Hyurs... So whoops! ><;

Wa'gozah'a Nunh is probably a mouthful to some because I wanted to somehow incorporate the hint of Gozah being a Keeper, but raised with Seeker traditions...all while trying to follow the naming conventions typical for Miqo'tes. So it should be something like, (WAH-go-zah-AH NOON) ...Gozah is actually just the name twist around to be similar to Gomez.... There was once a character named Goza, who was an Elf race in another game called Mabinogi... They're not quite related, but their similarities is that they will start out and be more focused with magic-related stuff.

.....So yeah, ehehe.... Nothing special ^^;;

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Erik Mynhier - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:32 PM)Cynel1 Wrote:

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.

(02-22-2015, 11:47 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.
Yeah there are some questions best left unanswered.

RE: Your Characters' Names! - QueenFrejyalen - 02-22-2015

Frejyalen's first name is a variation of the Norse goddess Freyja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja) though that might've been pretty obvious to most.

Her surname is that of her home kingdom, Ruyalen.  It isn't based on anything - just made up to sort-of fit the naming conventions.  I was originally going to name her kingdom Ru'yalen to mirror how Ul'dah sounds, but decided to nix the apostrophe for I don't remember why.

Basically her name should read as "Frejyalen of Ruyalen" but upon traveling the rest of the Realm it became her surname - easier than trying to explain the "of" to anyone.

My elezen alt Miounne Rondelet's name was taken straight from the name generator, because I did not know enough about Elezen lore to name her myself.  =]

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Erik Mynhier - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:54 PM)Cynel1 Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 11:47 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

Yeah there are some questions best left unanswered.

[Image: meme-faces-rage-wallpaper-1-300x174.jpg]

[Image: 4f72ced615524.png]

Ok, I'm done.
[Image: neutral-poker-face-no-text-l.png]

RE: Your Characters' Names! - MadWater - 02-23-2015

Oh boy. I will preface this by saying I never really intended to be consumed by the RP like I have been.

I had been playing my non-RP main on FFXIV for about eight months before I got bored and decided to try out RP. My main's name is Gipsy Danger, and that is the name of one of the Jaegers (mecha) from the movie Pacific Rim. Yeah, I was fanboying over that movie pretty hard when I made my character. At some point I thought, "man, Jaeger names kind of sound like Hellsguard Roegadyn names, that's what I'll go with for my RP toon." One of the other Jaegers from Pacific Rim lore was Horizon Brave, but after some research I switched that to Brave Horizon since Roegadyn names seemed to follow a "Adjective Noun" format.

... once I realized that RPing wasn't going to simply be a passing interest for me, I had to find some way to explain it. I made my character's birth name Bhaldswys, which is Roegadyn for Brave Sister. While she was evacuating from Ala Mhigo at age four, she had this conversation with her guardians:

Quote:"How come the sky isn't closer?
"What, dear?"
"We keep walkin' at the line of the sky, but it don't get closer."
"It never gets closer, Brave. No one can walk to the sky."
"Hmph. Well, I can."
"*laughter* Maybe one day you will brave the horizon."

And so, she became known as Brave Horizon. Yup. That's what I came up with.

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-23-2015

Franz's name actually has quite a bit of a story to it. Get him in a state to explain it, and he will, as it's best left IC than OOCly explained.

I will say that 'Franz' is not his real name. And he makes it a point to never -ever- give out the 'nil Renatus' part to most people.

(So yes, he'll never introduce himself as 'Franz Renatus'. It'd be 'Franz nil Renatus', if he did. But the likelihood of that is extremely rare, and there are no documents tying the name to him.)

RE: Your Characters' Names! - Gurren Dai - 02-23-2015

With Solaire, I just really liked the sound of the name. I hit randomize for the last name, and "Solaire Stark" Just kind of rolled off the tongue. Also, I'ma bit of a Dark Souls fan so...er...yeah.

With my other main, Ali Magia, it's actually a name I use for that kind of character quite often! It started from my Elder Scrolls: Oblivion game. Ali has a lot of meanings, but I picked it because I liked the way it sounded with her last name; Magia. That one is a reference to an anime OP, as well as latin for "Magic". Which is amusing, considering she's a pugilist.

RE: Your Characters' Names! - FreelanceWizard - 02-23-2015

I thought the name Lyta fit L'yhta and sounded good, so I "miqo'teized" it. It's as simple as that. Smile

Most of my characters have names that just sort of... pop into my head and happen to sound good and fit the character, at least in my mind. If what I'm thinking of doesn't fit the naming conventions in lore, I'll either ditch it or modify it accordingly.