Hydaelyn Role-Players
AST-related lore questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: AST-related lore questions (/showthread.php?tid=11244)

Pages: 1 2

RE: AST-related lore questions - BearCave - 07-03-2015

Well, I have the screenshot for the Balance constellation. 
But I'm not entirely sure how to insert it in the way that Jaques did, as I'm not very knowledgeable in the use of forums and such I'm afraid.

RE: AST-related lore questions - BearCave - 07-03-2015

So let's give this a shot. Here is the screenshot for the Balance constellation, thanks to Jaques for the assist on getting it posted!
Show Content

RE: AST-related lore questions - Goodfellow - 07-04-2015

Wonderful, thanks to you too!

RE: AST-related lore questions - Goodfellow - 07-16-2015

So we know that the Arrow, Balance, Bole, Ewer, Spear, and Spire are the major arcana of the Sharlayan tarot (or whatever you want to cal it).  I was wondering meta-textually if any of these correspond at all clearly with the real-world tarot, the Tarot de Marseille.  That is to say, the Spire pretty clearly resembles the Tower of Earth's tarot, so I wanted to know if the other five had clear inspirations in that vein and, if so, what those cards mean or how they're typically interpreted. 

I know some people are using the actual tarot in their RP, and that's cool, but for us laymen who think that just six is a good starting point...

RE: AST-related lore questions - Kaniko Niko - 07-16-2015

While not related to the lore specifically, the planisphere or "star globe" seems to be very much based off the feng shui luopan, a magnetic compass that uses multiple plates to chart stars and leylines. A number of plates and dials are used to line up with the flow of chi and is most commonly used in divination.

As for the arcana themselves: the Seven Heavens.

The Spire is very much the Manipura "jeweled city" chakra. The Bole corresponds well to Muladhara, the root chakra. It's a little vague, but there are definite parallels between the six base chakras and the six arcana of the Astrologian. The seventh chakra is almost explained word for word with the Seventh Heaven, about opening oneself up to the power cosmic of the universe.

RE: AST-related lore questions - Goodfellow - 07-17-2015

(07-16-2015, 11:41 PM)Kaniko Niko Wrote: While not related to the lore specifically, the planisphere or "star globe" seems to be very much based off the feng shui luopan, a magnetic compass that uses multiple plates to chart stars and leylines. A number of plates and dials are used to line up with the flow of chi and is most commonly used in divination.

As for the arcana themselves: the Seven Heavens.

The Spire is very much the Manipura "jeweled city" chakra. The Bole corresponds well to Muladhara, the root chakra. It's a little vague, but there are definite parallels between the six base chakras and the six arcana of the Astrologian. The seventh chakra is almost explained word for word with the Seventh Heaven, about opening oneself up to the power cosmic of the universe.

That's all an interesting take that I hadn't considered.  I noticed the parallels with the chakra, but I thought the Seven Heavens were more in keeping with the geocentric, Ptolemaic model, with there being on average seven translunary realms between the moon and the Primum Mobile.  I also took the planispheres and star globes to be more inspired by historical astrolabes and planispheres of astronomers and mariners with a more fantastical three-dimensional design.  Those being my thoughts, I naturally associated the cards with the historical tarot, but your insight is interesting and Lolotaru does always look for connections between aetheric schools, so an astromancy-arcanima-chakra connection works for me.

Your interpretation still leaves me a little in the dark for the purposes of cartomancy/fortune-telling, though.

RE: AST-related lore questions - Kaniko Niko - 07-17-2015

(07-17-2015, 02:28 PM)Goodfellow Wrote: Your interpretation still leaves me a little in the dark for the purposes of cartomancy/fortune-telling, though.

I could be on to something. You could be on to something. But I think the true answer lies right here.