Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra - How will your character react? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra - How will your character react? (/showthread.php?tid=11858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - X'nath - 06-01-2015

I would expect people to be unnerved or something of the like when around the Au Ra.. one side of them being rather isolated and the other side being skilled and versed in tribal war.. realistically, and even with Eorzea being open to the races there now, these individuals are literally just appearing...

What's rather saddening, is that when Yugiri showed her face, besides the initial shock, the WoL and Alphinaud[sp?] were just 'oh okay'.. My whole level of trust would've been thrown off a bit... and now? A whole clusterf*ck of them are migrating into the scene that look like voidsent/dragons... 

I guess I'm part of the minority that would find it odd to just be curious and wanting to know them versus 'there's possible demons or a race that could be tied to the dragon conflict, how do we know if they're really here for us or to lead Garlemald into Eorzea for more problems or to add numbers to the Dragon side?'

Just random ideas there really. I'm both anxious and curious to see the reactions I'll get with my Au Ra.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Fox - 06-01-2015

I tend to think that there has been au ra sprinkled about up to this point. It's sort of like dealing with "SUDDENLY CATHAR" in SWTOR for example. I tend to believe they already existed in some locations. And considering Yugiri came to us before release of Heavensward there's more of a chance for the Raen from that. As for Xaela I tend to think because they are nomad some do exist.

This as an aside for personal thoughts;
My main C'sien has met one, she thought they were void-sent because of the horns and scales. Though C'sien also thinks a lot of things that are different, not in the norm for her are voidsent. She didn't really think of them as dragons as she's not really met many dragons anyway. More voidsent.

She was very hesitant and uncertain but calmed down when she was told they weren't voidsent infact. She's very shy around them, but it's why I chose the 'reserved' option first as her first initial view of them was uncertain. She'll be actively curious about them from here on out but not overly curious.

My second 'main' is an au ra. On her perspective, she's been traveling for a long time, people are weird, even other au ra. That's about I will give. XD

(06-01-2015, 12:59 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 12:31 PM)Gegenji Wrote: But yeah, on the whole, it seems most PCs are relatively open to things... so I see the Au Ra assimilation being (perhaps disappointingly) painless. There will likely be spots of conflict here and there - but likely from characters who would naturally react that way... or planned interactions with an Au Ra that wants to RP that sort of difficulty.

This is the feeling I'm getting in general. It seems like a minority of player characters will give this more than a shrug of the shoulders.

It's a shame because the sudden appearance of the Au Ra seems to have a lot of RP potential in terms of racial tensions and attitudes.

The NPC lore might address a lot of this, though, by giving an overall sense of the world's attitude towards Au Ra.  That is, if any of the NPC dialogue addresses it.  I hope (and expect) that the story missions will shed some light on the cultural context of Au Ra in Eorzea.  So even if we have a majority of player characters accepting Au Ra with open arms, they won't necessarily be a majority from an overall population perspective.

I believe that they actually addressed this with the NPC. That they will not see them as dragons-or-dragon-ilk, or actual demons (as things were explained to have a demonic motif) at all and likely will not really be hostile. Afterall SE doesn't want to alienate a race they specifically made either. I'll see if I can find the quote for you but I remember seeing this either here or on Reddit.

Followup:

The Au Ra group is made with the image of the devil. Their designs are inspired by demons, not dragons. Because of this, even though they have a similar appearance to dragons, they won't be especially persecuted by city residents. (Oda)
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125487-Niconico-Super-Conference-Famitsu-Summary-Translation-(4-25-4-26)?p=6407050#post6407050

Though I do assume this means Ishgard but yeah. I think it's rather safe to say for NPCs they won't so much bat an eye.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Blythe - 06-01-2015

Even though I am going to be maining an Au Ra, my hyur (that I am NPCing) currently would be slightly skeptical of this new race. Would she outright be hostile towards them? No, but considering all that's happened in last decade or so, she'd be wary what this new race is doing here. If they treat her good, she'll probably have a positive view of them. If they do her wrong, she'll have no problem getting on a step to punch one in the face. (And ultimately having to face the consequences by running away.)

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seriphyn - 06-04-2015

(06-01-2015, 08:13 PM)Foxberry Wrote: Followup:

The Au Ra group is made with the image of the devil. Their designs are inspired by demons, not dragons. Because of this, even though they have a similar appearance to dragons, they won't be especially persecuted by city residents. (Oda)
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125487-Niconico-Super-Conference-Famitsu-Summary-Translation-(4-25-4-26)?p=6407050#post6407050

Though I do assume this means Ishgard but yeah. I think it's rather safe to say for NPCs they won't so much bat an eye.

I think some key words are being missed. The "speculation" that Au Ra are the progeny of dragons is disputed, not refuted. This means that there is still a split on agreement. Moreover, them not being "especially persecuted", well I think the key word there is "especially". They can still be persecuted. 

Given the more realistic themes of FFXIV, I am pretty sure it is more than possible that many Eorzeans will be discomforted by the presence of Au Ra, as either being voidsent or dragonkin. It is a shame that only a minority of us will actually roleplay out these tensions...because do we really think in a world where there is still racial divides (Elezen vs Hyur, Gridanians vs Keepers, Ul'dahns vs Highlanders), that the mass arrival of Au Ra will be met without a bat of an eyelid?

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Lilia Lia - 06-05-2015

(06-04-2015, 05:18 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: It is a shame that only a minority of us will actually roleplay out these tensions...because do we really think in a world where there is still racial divides (Elezen vs Hyur, Gridanians vs Keepers, Ul'dahns vs Highlanders), that the mass arrival of Au Ra will be met without a bat of an eyelid?

Consider also that these Au Ra will be arriving so suddenly in such a short timeframe.  In a single day, about half a dozen of the people you know will transform into Au Ra, or reveal that they secretly were them.  More of them will start turning up. 

I only hope Au Ra players are prepared to deal with this kind of reaction IC.  It has the potential to deepen their RP, if nothing else.  But I could see some inexperienced RPers finding it frustrating or an obstacle that there are other characters who want nothing to do with them.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seye Qhesu - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 01:57 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 05:18 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: It is a shame that only a minority of us will actually roleplay out these tensions...because do we really think in a world where there is still racial divides (Elezen vs Hyur, Gridanians vs Keepers, Ul'dahns vs Highlanders), that the mass arrival of Au Ra will be met without a bat of an eyelid?

Consider also that these Au Ra will be arriving so suddenly in such a short timeframe.  In a single day, about half a dozen of the people you know will transform into Au Ra, or reveal that they secretly were them.  More of them will start turning up. 

I only hope Au Ra players are prepared to deal with this kind of reaction IC.  It has the potential to deepen their RP, if nothing else.  But I could see some inexperienced RPers finding it frustrating or an obstacle that there are other characters who want nothing to do with them.
I currently RP my Au'ra with the nickname Flower. She is unglamoured and walking about in broad daylight. I have gotten several different reactions. Most of them are tension based and from isghardians who though she by the statement of SE is not like a dragon, still looks like one and gets treated like dirt.

She has been Icly
Spat on/at
Chased with a lance/pitchfork/had rocks thrown at her
Been called a lizard lady
Was told if she was any less humanoid looking she would be eaten (by a miqo'te)
Called Ugly, hideous, etc
Generally accepted
Heavily questioned by someone curious about what she was
Had a tuning fork struck against her horns in a testing manner by a lalafell (she did not like this one at all)

I'm happy with the results and can't wait for more Au'ra to actually pop up!

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Caspar - 06-05-2015

The "I've read about you, but never met in person. Now let me pull your tail. I hear they come off and you can grow another." approach. Being an honorary Doman, this should be the natural reaction for her.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Gegenji - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 02:27 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 01:57 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote:

I currently RP my Au'ra with the nickname Flower. She is unglamoured and walking about in broad daylight. I have gotten several different reactions. Most of them are tension based and from isghardians who though she by the statement of SE is not like a dragon, still looks like one and gets treated like dirt.

She has been Icly
Spat on/at
Chased with a lance/pitchfork/had rocks thrown at her
Been called a lizard lady
Was told if she was any less humanoid looking she would be eaten (by a miqo'te)
Called Ugly, hideous, etc
Generally accepted
Heavily questioned by someone curious about what she was
Had a tuning fork struck against her horns in a testing manner by a lalafell (she did not like this one at all)

I'm happy with the results and can't wait for more Au'ra to actually pop up!

... Kinda curious what will happen if/when Judge is ever seen without his helmet now.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Star Lin - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 07:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Kinda curious what will happen if/when Judge is ever seen without his helmet now.
Ah, Judge doesn't have to worry about John's reaction to him.  He's already meet his first Au Ra when he help deliver a baby Au Ra.  He also may be meeting his second soon too.  He knows Judge, might blink at the horns, and then get upset that Judge might have thought John would treat Judge badly.

John Waterstrike: Sir Judge, did you think so little of us, that we would turn away, just because you have horn?  That you could not trust us, after all the time that you have help oversee at the Grindstone.

And if Judge is off his horse, John would grab Judge around the waist in a hug and tell him that it wasn't fair that Judge had to hide who he was because of the way he looked.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Makyn Loneseeker - 06-05-2015

Makyn would be blink at the sudden appearance of so many Au Ra, and so many people he'd know that are now Au Ra. But they're still the same people, and still regular people, so he wouldn't care very much.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seye Qhesu - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 08:57 AM)Star Lin Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 07:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Kinda curious what will happen if/when Judge is ever seen without his helmet now.
Ah, Judge doesn't have to worry about John's reaction to him.  He's already meet his first Au Ra when he help deliver a baby Au Ra.  He also may be meeting his second soon too.  He knows Judge, might blink at the horns, and then get upset that Judge might have thought John would treat Judge badly.

John Waterstrike: Sir Judge, did you think so little of us, that we would turn away, just because you have horn?  That you could not trust us, after all the time that you have help oversee at the Grindstone.

And if Judge is off his horse, John would grab Judge around the waist in a hug and tell him that it wasn't fair that Judge had to hide who he was because of the way he looked.
And then a Ghostly hand of Bri would come down and slap John for being so clingy.

I kid,  I kid! I can't wait for Judge to take off his helm. He is totally going to be Flower's father figure.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seriphyn - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 02:27 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I'm happy with the results and can't wait for more Au'ra to actually pop up!

I mean it when I say I am genuinely pleased that you welcome the sort of conflict I am proposing. I'm not confident all Au Ra roleplayers will encourage it, and that's fine, all a matter of taste. I do worry about that whole "kicking the puppy" business, where I'll attempt to incite conflict with Au Ra in-character, only to fail to realize the other player is probably not looking for such an intense sort of roleplay as I am!

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Scorpio Shirica - 06-05-2015

My character grew up isolated in some caverns somewhere. That Duskwights are often the victim of racism and that he saw how racist some of his own kin were to outsiders, he won't be continuing the cycle of racism to any new races he encounters. Even if that means one will likely end up turning him into a pancake.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Gone. - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 08:09 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 02:27 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I'm happy with the results and can't wait for more Au'ra to actually pop up!

I mean it when I say I am genuinely pleased that you welcome the sort of conflict I am proposing. I'm not confident all Au Ra roleplayers will encourage it, and that's fine, all a matter of taste. I do worry about that whole "kicking the puppy" business, where I'll attempt to incite conflict with Au Ra in-character, only to fail to realize the other player is probably not looking for such an intense sort of roleplay as I am!

I really don't understand this and maybe I'm missing something, but what is there that's enjoyable about being treated like a racial minority circa late 1800s?

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Lilia Lia - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 08:53 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: I really don't understand this and maybe I'm missing something, but what is there that's enjoyable about being treated like a racial minority circa late 1800s?

It has story potential.  The need to prove yourself to people who fundamentally suspect or dislike you.  Being misunderstood/distrusted and having to win the trust of those around you.  As Seriphyn pointed out, not everyone will welcome this kind of conflict but many people will see it as the beginning of an interesting story.