Hydaelyn Role-Players
What age is adulthood for all the races? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What age is adulthood for all the races? (/showthread.php?tid=12044)

Pages: 1 2

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - allgivenover - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 09:16 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Funny enough, one of the intro quests in Limsa Lominsa has you refueling the street lamps with oil. So, at least there, the lamps are oil powered and have their own oil stores. Presumably, someone goes to light them at night and we simply don't see it in game. I don't recall if they specify the type of oil that's used in the quest item description.

This is the quest I was referring too, thank you.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Sounsyy - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 08:27 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 06:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: As for Padjal, they are born Hyur or Elezen and stop maturing physically when they reach puberty. They will look like children the rest of their lives. The length of the Padjal's horns is their only indicator of age. The only reason Kan-E looks older is because she's altered her appearance so the leaders of other nations take her seriously. Kan-E is in her early twenties.

Where on Earth did this information come from? O_o To my understanding the age at which Padjal cease to physically age varies from child to child, hence why we have the older Kan-E-Senna versus, say, her younger siblings.

Las Vegas Lore Panel

This was actually one of my questions that got answered at the Lore panel:

Quote:Q: How old is Kan-E-Senna? Why is she the only adult looking Padjal?

A: Her age is- and I wrote this down - she is in her late twenties. But again, that's her spiritual age. As you know, the Padjal all physically stop growing at about 10-11 years old. That's why they all look like children. But they live full lives so you'll have people who look like children but are actually 40, 50, 60 years old. In the case of Kan-E-Senna - and up until the end of 1.0 it was E-Sumi-Yan that was the Elder Seedseer that was in control of Gridania, but when the Grand Companies came out, Kan-E-Senna, who was in the forest communing with the Elementals at that time, came back to take over the Grand Company.

The thing is... ...in the other city-states you have Merlwyb, y'know kickass, and in Ul'dah you have Nanamo who is Seventeenth in her line, you got Raubahn who's like rrrrrrrrrrr! And so you have these really strong leaders in the other city-states and then here... Y'know people in Gridania understand that their Elder Seedseers are really powerful but for the rest of people they're like 'that's just a kid you can't take these people seriously' and so again, her making herself appear older is to present herself to the people of the other nations so they will take her seriously. She's basically making herself look older than she really is so people will take her seriously. Spiritually she's in her late twenties. Physically in her early teens.

This was also hinted at in the 1.0 quest Disorganized Crime, in which Raya-O-Senna finds her sister Kan-E in the Woods at the center of a mass murder of Elementals. Raya-O does not recognize her sister. We at first assumed this was because the Padjal of Gridania rarely enter the city and spend most of their time in the Wood. While this is true, we learned from the lore panel that she changed her appearance. The information about the horns came from a 1.0 NPC.

You can find further lore about the Padjal (and how they come to be Padjal) from this Padjal Naming Conventions lore post by Fernehalwes.

_________

As for "coming of age" we do have some specific ages for at least two of the Eorzean city-states. In the Sharlayan Tales from the Calamity, we are specifically told that Sharlayan children are considered "of age" at 16.

Tales from the Calamity Wrote:Recent graduates of the Studium, the twins were now sixteen summers old─old enough to be considered of age in Sharlayan society.

Sixteen also appears to be the age of adulthood in Ul'dah as well, based off Nanamo. While it's true that Nanamo Ul Namo ascended to the thrown at just 5 years old, the 1.0 quest There Might Be Blood shows a 15 year old Nanamo accompanied by her Regent, Marcechamp. However, Marcechamp never appears again in the present day (pre-Calamity) when Nanamo Ul Namo is 16 years old. In every cutscene hence, she is seen acting alone in the political theatre, lending to the idea that, at 16, Nanamo was considered of age to rule alone.

_________

Back to my original post, I couldn't link the lore before, but here's the explanation from Fernehalwes on the differences between the Elezen and other races aging:

Quote:Q: What are the age scales of every race? How long do they live and how long does it take them to become an adult?

Fernehalwes: Okay, yeah I asked about this and I was told that age-scale wise the five races biologically they can live about- they have the same lifespan as we do here on earth. They can live one hundred, one hundred and twenty biologically. The thing is, here we have modern medicine, we have jobs that don't take us on to the battlefield, we have food in refrigerators not sitting in a barrel. And so we can live that long, whereas, in Eorzea its a much harsher realm. I mean you've got raptors roaming the jungle. "I need to go out and pick an ogre pumpkin!" "Oh sorry, daddy got eaten by a raptor as he was picking our dinner pumpkin so it looks like we're having nothing for dinner tonight." And so daddy dies of raptor and children die of starvation because they couldn't get the pumpkin.

On top of that you have wars and people are fighting Ishgard, I wouldn't expect most people would live longer than like thirty years. That's the thing, so you get an average lifespan that is a lot shorter, y'know in the forties, fifties. I mean there was the one quest about, back in 1.0... there was the Lalafell that was put in the Oubliette in Ul'dah, and he was in there praying and because he was this zen thing and he focused and he slowed his breathing and he lived for hundreds of years or whatever. Other than that people aren't going to live that long.

That said, Elezen actually do have a longer lifespan than the other four races. And this also appears in the- when they go from child to puberty to adulthood. So which is why you'll see in the- in 1.0 there was a bunch of Elezen children that appeared in some of the quests and they appear again in 2.0, and they're still children. And you think well it's been five years why are they still children? It's because again that childhood for Elezen can last much longer. And they end up living longer as well. Um, but for the most part it's pretty much just the same as us, but with more... fatality.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Aysun - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 10:26 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
Show Content
/drools over lore

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Mae - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 08:27 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: Eorzea is a modern civilization, though; there's plumbing --
Plumbing has been around for thousands of years. Not only did the ancient Romans, Greeks, and Persians have sewer systems and indoor plumbing for sinks and bathtubs, they even had water-flushing toilets. About the only things that are modern to the whole thing are water heaters, electric well pumps, detachable shower heads, high-efficiency particle filters, and honey trucks...

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Seriphyn - 06-14-2015

16 seems the most appropriate. Perhaps it is worth looking at...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent#Traditional_attitudes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age#History_and_social_attitudes

Level of technology has very little to do with social attitudes, as well. Even in the 19th century, it was still pretty damned low. We shouldn't wrinkle our nose at the possibility that the age of majority being less than what we're comfortable with in real life, because Eorzea is not real life, and closer to history.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Kage - 06-14-2015

Considering people die early, the younger age set for being an "adult" makes sense.

RE: What age is adulthood for all the races? - Rahal - 06-14-2015

Throughout most of history, especially in Europe, around 20 is considered adulthood. Betrothals of children among noble families are of course common among nobles and royalty, as were marriages, but actual sexual activity? Not much as recorded before adulthood. As for commoners? Early 20's again is the most common age according to Church records (you know, the people that would have kept records of Births, Deaths and Marriages before formal Civil Registry Offices came about).

Besides, the the whole debate for FFXIV is pointless. It was confirmed at 16 in the Tales of the Calamity journals.