Hydaelyn Role-Players
SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. (/showthread.php?tid=12295)

Pages: 1 2

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Thorgar - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 02:12 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 12:29 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: So.  Uh.  While Scalia is a laughable clown...Thomas is...legitimately unhinged and scary in a dark and frightening way:

JUSTICE THOMAS WHO SITS ON THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 
Quote:Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.

[Image: readImage?iid=18174314]
wow.... im not sure if he was trying to convey something good and just botched it or needs to be lynched.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - cherrybomb - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:29 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: JUSTICE THOMAS WHO SITS ON THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 
Quote:Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.
Haha, goddamn. Gotta love it when a member of the Supreme Court is running around saying stuff that looks like random garbage plucked right out of Stormfront.

(and by "love" i mean "feel the hate flow through, bitter and warm, like a shot of cheap whiskey")

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Erik Mynhier - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:29 PM)Hammersmith Wrote: So.  Uh.  While Scalia is a laughable clown...Thomas is...legitimately unhinged and scary in a dark and frightening way:

JUSTICE THOMAS WHO SITS ON THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 

Well remember Thomas was the man that taught a country what sexual harassment was. I am older then a lot of you and I remember when he was accused of harassment when his name went up to join the court. A lot of people in America either had never noticed such behavior, or had never put a name to it when they had.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Alderique - 06-26-2015

It's getting chipped away at, and is going to still take a long, long time.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Jana - 06-26-2015

[Image: wieliczka_salt_mine_7_gnomes.jpg]

The funniest part is how many people are threatening to move to Canada!

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Moonlit - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 04:25 PM)Jana Wrote: [Image: wieliczka_salt_mine_7_gnomes.jpg]

. . .I do hope it isn't to get away from gay marriage because, uh, well, you see. . .
Congratulations America. <3

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - K'hatos - 06-26-2015

I thought Scalia was just an old wives' tale.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Zyrusticae - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:44 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: About time. Now maybe we can start working on trans rights so hopefully I'm actually considered a human being within some period of my limited life span.

p.s. who wants to marry me?

That's the dream, ain't it?

A lot of times it feels like it just ain't happening in this lifetime... but then stuff like this happens. Maybe there's hope after all?

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Sylentmana - 06-30-2015

(06-26-2015, 04:25 PM)Jana Wrote: [Image: wieliczka_salt_mine_7_gnomes.jpg]

The only reason one should move to Canada is for the bacon.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - Enla - 06-30-2015

(06-26-2015, 06:44 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 12:44 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: About time. Now maybe we can start working on trans rights so hopefully I'm actually considered a human being within some period of my limited life span.

p.s. who wants to marry me?

That's the dream, ain't it?

A lot of times it feels like it just ain't happening in this lifetime... but then stuff like this happens. Maybe there's hope after all?

With how fast social change has been coming in the last hundred years, let alone the last -ten- I wouldn't be surprised if something akin to trans acceptance starts gaining more traction in the coming decade. Hell, approval of gays jumped in the near decade since the whole recent debacle started in something that was almost nearly unprecedented. I had honestly thought that back when all this was happened and when Prop 8 was passed that I would never see gay marriage legalized until I was well and into my twilight years. Yet look at how far we've come. It's not perfect and we should never settle until gay marriage is simply known as marriage within the population at large and enjoys full equality across the country, but that sort of sweeping change in public opinion is almost unprecedented at any other time in history. It isn't just the issue of gay marriage either, so many other social issues are having sweeping changes in the court of public opinion to the point where I'm rather interested to see what things will be like in another decade.

I will say though I'm honestly laughing at how so many states are trying to circumvent the ruling. At least two are debating removing the option to issue marriage licenses entirely while the rest are hurrying to pass laws that assure their constituents that -yes- people don't -have- to marry someone who they have religious objections to marrying. Why anyone would want to be married in a religious setting where the person marrying them has an objection to who they are is beyond me. I wouldn't want to ruin that sort of occasion by having, say, the pastor spit fire at me with their gaze throughout the entire ceremony. Though I'm not sure of the legality when it comes to governmental workers who are just issuing the licenses.

RE: SCOTUS rules in on gay marriage. - T'caska Khevo - 06-30-2015

I just wanna pop my head in here real quick to give a congratulations. Its not my bag to talk politics with anyone as for the most part I don't understand it and as aside from a few issues, I could kinda care less about the American government.

But being gay myself, I wanted to give a thank you to those within the RP community who supported this and still do. To those that don't support it, I respect you and love you anyway.

Cheers everyone, have a great day.