Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rumors in the Air (Discussion) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Rumors in the Air (Discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=12359)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Site Suggestion: Rumors Directory - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-06-2015

I should perhaps note that creating such a thread doesn't require mod or admin approval.

Adding to It to the "Important Threads" section would.

I would suggest making the thread and if it has prolonged use, like the Bulletin Board thread, a mod can pin it to the important section.

RE: Site Suggestion: Rumors Directory - Blue - 07-06-2015

I just wanted to know where to make it. It's an IC thread, but neither Town Square nor Tomberry's Lantern seem areas it'd be put in. If not given other directions, I'll put it in Town Square and see if a mod sticks it or moves it elsewhere, I guess.

RE: Site Suggestion: Rumors Directory - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-06-2015

Town Square should be the most appropriate place. These are rumors that should be taken ICly, are they not?

RE: Rumors of Balmung (Discussion) - Blue - 07-06-2015

All right, I have renamed this thread to be used for discussion should further questions arise regarding the rumors that will be posted in the actual thread, so to keep that one strictly IC and clean of OOC commentary.

I will also make that thread stickly for Balmung rumors. RPers from other servers are welcome to make their own, though!

RE: Rumors of Balmung (Discussion) - Blue - 07-06-2015

And done: here's the link http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12447

If someone could sticky it, that'd be adorbs Heart

RE: Rumors of Balmung (Discussion) - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-06-2015

[[steps in as a mod]]

I've opened discussion with the other mods about getting it pinned to the top, next to the Bulletin Board.

Personally, I'd like to see if it takes off first (stays active) before making a decision. But at the same time, it could also be said that by pinning it now, that would be the necessary action to give it the exposure it needs to become active.

Just waiting for a few more mods to chime in on the subject so we can make a formal action. Smile

[[steps out as a mod]]

In the meantime, I've got a rumor or two I can probably add in

RE: Rumors of Balmung (Discussion) - Jana - 07-07-2015

Would these rumors be necessarily about your own character(s), sort of as a hook for getting others to seek you out? Or would they be about the results of others' RP to kind of inform others?

Or am I overthinking things at 2:30 AM?

RE: Rumors of Balmung (Discussion) - Blue - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 03:23 AM)Jana Wrote: Would these rumors be necessarily about your own character(s), sort of as a hook for getting others to seek you out? Or would they be about the results of others' RP to kind of inform others?

Or am I overthinking things at 2:30 AM?

They can be both. They can be things that you have roleplayed and that you feel NPCs would notice enough to talk about, or they can be foreshadowings of an event you're setting up (ex: your character is about to get married? "I heard that merchant's daughter finally found a bachelor!"), or they can be things related to your character (ex: your character is an Au Ra in Mor Dhona? "It seem a large number of those horned humanoids has arrived in Mor Dhona..."), and so on. It is a tool to both allow others to hook to your plots, as well as to give people something to talk about at taverns even if they won't ultimately participate. It's nice to see our own stories become acknowledged by other RPers, I feel it makes it a bit more realistic.

Of course, if you spot rumors that are in conflict with your own view on lore or background, your character is free to not believe them.

Here's a quick copy-paste of one of the FAQs, in case you missed it in your 2A.M.-driven zombieness. If that still doesn't answer your question, I will try be more specific.

(07-06-2015, 12:18 PM)Blue Wrote: What rumors can I post? Rumors that are strictly related to your own character (and thus wouldn't be heard of from people that didn't ICly know you) should be kept to your wiki, but of course if you don't make names you can post it here. If your character is a merchant and he gets attacked by beastmen, go ahead and say "It seems beastmen have been getting more and more aggressive. Another merchant's haul was stolen the other day in Thanalan!". The purpose should be to involve others into your side-plots while at the same time not making the rumors all about yourself. If someone is interested to learn WHO is the merchant who got attacked by the beastmen (sellsword seeking for hire as bodyguards, perhaps?), then they should privately contact you and figure out how their character may learn about your merchant's identity and find him.

"Well yeah, then I can just post all my personal rumors by turning them nameless!" Not exactly. When deciding what to post, simply ask yourself: would people in this area actually talk about this? Were there enough witnesses? Was it enough of a big deal? Nobody will likely talk about "hey, it seems a chick got sexually harassed at the Quicksand and threw a glass of ale in the face of that rude Lalafell!", because that happens all the time there. But if a famous singer slips off during her performance on the stage, or an unpredictable underdog wins at the Grindstone? The locals may very certainly laugh/talk about it for a little while.

Posting rumors about things OTHER RPers did is fine, but you may probably want to OOCly inform the owner of those characters first, to see if they are okay with it becoming common knowledge and if they agree with the version of the facts that you are going to post (Which doesn't necessarily have to be true, as per the Chinese Whispers rule. An Au Ra suddenly appearing in a village's abandoned house where no one's ever seen one before may turn into "A DEMON! I saw the face of a demon peeking from that old, dusty house, I swear it!")