Hydaelyn Role-Players
"We Should RP" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "We Should RP" (/showthread.php?tid=12930)

Pages: 1 2

RE: "We Should RP" - LadyRochester - 08-11-2015

I say the same, but unless my character has a strong relationship with a character or their interactions are highly intellectually stimulating, I usually dread "casual" RP where all they do is talk about the weather. I'm talking about a time in the relationship where they are past the "getting to know you" phase, and if the characters have little to no chemistry (Intellectual or otherwise), there's nothing my character or myself can gain from the RP, so I refrain from it.

However, I do want to catch up with friends, as long as the RP isn't horribly monotonous.

RE: "We Should RP" - Kiur - 08-11-2015

Kiur stands next to a barrel in the Forgotten Knight and says crazy shit like "You are a nice barrel. There are many like you but you are mine".
If that doesn't get an approach, try again in 20 minutes.

RE: "We Should RP" - Aaron - 08-11-2015

Aaron can be any and everywhere really because that's how I made his personality.

If you tell him he can't go somewhere or meet somebody he's gonna give you that old " t-_-t " look and go wherever he wants to go.

RE: "We Should RP" - Kage - 08-11-2015

Right now most people who want to RP with me already know my character is in certain areas. The conversation goes along the lines of:
"Wanna RP?"
"Yaaaas AAAARRRRRPEEEEE"
"When?"
"Now?"
"Ok where what?"
"let's do grump times."

Proceed talk of WHAT PLACES CAN WE USE?!, choosing a random location and then...
Kage swoops around Falcon's Nest and drops on friend. Friend takes hand from ear and goes "I was about to call you!"

Proceed hour+ RP.

Other times, "Wanna RP?"
"Sure!"
Proceed talk of wanting to RP but both being super shy about wanting to set up the scene but not quite knowing how to the point where it doesn't quite happen.

This has led me to believe that since I would rather be able to RP with people, and don't particularly care about needing 100% concrete everything, I just need a small context.

RE: "We Should RP" - Caspar - 08-11-2015

Yea i want to rp even with some people in here, but I'm busy so often. If Vira is MNK w/ an eyepatch on, I'm ic. But since I come from pbp, I also am fine with working out a scenario in tell, even if it's nothing particularly complex like a chance meeting on the airship. If it seems like something both characters will do I'm ok with it, usually.

RE: "We Should RP" - Oli! - 08-11-2015

I'm fine with no context. The reason why is because sometimes things just happen with little or no context.

As an example, I recently, randomly bumped into an old teacher of mine from New York on a Chicago L station. He and his new girlfriend were in town for a singing festival. Neither of us was expecting to find the other. We didn't plan to meet up.

Sometimes things just happen. There's no need for everything to be a part of some serious, overarching master plan. If you're in town, and they're in town, and you can come up with some half-reason for them to both be there, that's all you need.

RE: "We Should RP" - Nyx Bajhiri - 08-11-2015

I try to be pretty flexible and bend some aspects of Nyx in order to get a plausible setting for RP. She's pretty much keeps to herself and avoids crowds but if there's an event I think is really interesting, I'll come up with a reason she would attend. Most of the time I can come up with something.

I get the whole "We should RP sometime" thing too. I like to have a reason the characters are interacting or else it tends to fall into the small-talk realm of "Oh hey, funny seeing you here" kind of thing. It doesn't need to be anything epic or sweeping, just the tiniest of hooks. Most of the time the people I chat with about this are totally fine with hashing it out for 2 seconds and coming up with some starting hook that would fit both our characters.

I like the idea of thinking in big general umbrellas and narrowing it down if needed.

RE: "We Should RP" - D'aito Kuji - 08-11-2015

I'm fine with RP without specific context.  I don't have to obey my own character's timeline.  I do prefer to RP in real time but I can't ask that of people since it's my own slice of insanity.  So I will violate my character's cause and effect and RP with another person and then resolve it after the fact.

A while ago (i've been having computer issues) I RP'd a bit with someone from another zone, knowing that my character would not have been in that zone based on the timeline.  D'aito Kuji is currently freezing in the north while doing whatever it is she does, presumably step & fetch while bounty hunting.  But I don't pass up on RP very often, especially when I'm not the one starting it.

Later, I mentioned the interaction on my IC blog and placed the adventure in a different spot on her timeline, before her journey to the north.

This might not work for everyone, but since I'm the author of her journey, I don't see why I can't tell her story out of sequence.  I might say that I was inspired by Pulp Fiction but to be honest, it was Durarara!

RE: "We Should RP" - Kage - 08-11-2015

(08-11-2015, 12:23 PM)Oli! Wrote: Sometimes things just happen. There's no need for everything to be a part of some serious, overarching master plan. If you're in town, and they're in town, and you can come up with some half-reason for them to both be there, that's all you need.
I think being in town is part of what people hang up on even though for me that's all I need now with just a tiny bit of flesh to the hook. "They're both gonna go here. Maybe one is looking for so and so. Good? Kay you ok to RP now?"

It's just as in your example. My brother and his wife went to the OC Fair in California. We live in Orange County so it's expected. That same night they went, they ran into the neighbors we have from Los Angeles cause they too wanted to go to the Fair. The OC Fair lasts like over a month. The one night, they one time, they just ran into each other.

RE: "We Should RP" - Rising - 08-11-2015

Like the OP, I prefer context. I am not a tavern/bar RPer and for the most part dislike the cities. My characters are always the 'outdoorsy' types that prefer adventure & travel. So built in already is the ability to take my character ICly almost anywhere but she's not likely to meet someone in a tavern.

That being said, if I want to RP with someone I can usually find a way. I will not break character to be somewhere but within that is still a bit of leeway. Time can be a bit fluid though I travel by mundane means ICly. There's usually enough going on in the world that I can make an excuse for her to be in a particular area.

Don't forget the other side of the coin, that the other person is just as accommodating with location as you are. If they want to RP with you, they should have a similar mindset and not mind working out a good place for both characters. If I'm ICly involved in another RP, I will usually say something regarding that and then offer up the logical places my character would be while in that situation. There's usually a place in that list that the other says,  "Oh... I can be there!"

RE: "We Should RP" - C'kayah Polaali - 08-12-2015

The big problem, for me, with trying to squeeze random RP in the middle of an arc is that the arc usually takes far longer to play than it's supposed to take for C'kayah to live. Something that might be 3 days for C'kayah could take weeks to play. This creates a continuity problem that makes it hard to do other stuff during the arc.

What I've ended up doing is pinning the end of the RP arc to the day we finish it, and then tracing back, instead of pinning the start of the arc to the day we start. There are still continuity problems (i.e.: it's hard to reference the arc to other people in RP before it's done), but it makes it far easier to work other RP into it. Those 3 days don't actually start until 3 days before the day we finish them, so there's no reason for C'kayah to be unavailable during the weeks we're playing the arc.

RE: "We Should RP" - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 12:05 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote: The big problem, for me, with trying to squeeze random RP in the middle of an arc is that the arc usually takes far longer to play than it's supposed to take for C'kayah to live. Something that might be 3 days for C'kayah could take weeks to play. This creates a continuity problem that makes it hard to do other stuff during the arc.

What I've ended up doing is pinning the end of the RP arc to the day we finish it, and then tracing back, instead of pinning the start of the arc to the day we start. There are still continuity problems (i.e.: it's hard to reference the arc to other people in RP before it's done), but it makes it far easier to work other RP into it. Those 3 days don't actually start until 3 days before the day we finish them, so there's no reason for C'kayah to be unavailable during the weeks we're playing the arc.

I just try not to worry about strict timelines if it seems like the RP won't be something super serious.

If Evangeline does an RP of a few hours lecturing someone on the injustices of Eorzea, how the gods aren't real, and her taste in romantic literature, it doesn't matter exactly where it happens on her timeline.

The next time she meets the person I just treat it as having happened an indeterminate point of time in the past. I don't worry about the details unless the person is planning to get involved in her current story.

In order to foster this I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed, so generally the random RP is rather lighthearted, and is more for introducing characters and relaxing rather than plot development.

RE: "We Should RP" - Coatleque - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 12:49 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: [. . . I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed . . .]

I like to use the same time-bubble that is used to explain aging and the MSQ. I can be involved in multiple plots simultaneously in each corner of Eorzea and not have them cross. Some of this is due to Coatleque being a Sultansworn tied to Ul'dah - what some see as a limitation works to my benefit here.

For example, in the longest running story she is involved in, Coatleque is actually leading a small team into Coerthas to setup unobtrusive recon for Thanalan. Last night I did a photo shoot with Spahro for Dubious Distributions in the Goblet. In my mind, that took place before she left the city and there is no connection between the two events to say otherwise.

RE: "We Should RP" - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 01:35 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 12:49 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: [. . . I generally don't have her bring up the more serious stuff that she's dealing with in plots unless it is needed . . .]

I like to use the same time-bubble that is used to explain aging and the MSQ. I can be involved in multiple plots simultaneously in each corner of Eorzea and not have them cross. Some of this is due to Coatleque being a Sultansworn tied to Ul'dah - what some see as a limitation works to my benefit here.

For example, in the longest running story she is involved in, Coatleque is actually leading a small team into Coerthas to setup unobtrusive recon for Thanalan. Last night I did a photo shoot with Spahro for Dubious Distributions in the Goblet. In my mind, that took place before she left the city and there is no connection between the two events to say otherwise.

Yep! Most things sort of just happen in floaty time, and if needed they can be snapped into a timeline after the fact.

Until then I don't really worry about it. Evangeline had a hour long discussion with an Au Ra about horn socks, to keep their horns warm in Ishgard.

I doubt an exact accounting of its start will ever be needed.

RE: "We Should RP" - Gegenji - 08-12-2015

Yeah, I'm trying to get a bit better with my use of floaty-time. Which meant having Gogon at the Runestone even as he was "supposed" to be in Dravania on a dungeon delve. I just timey-wimeyed it to be just before he left, and even used it to mark when he actually left to meet up with the group. And, since it's been going on for a couple days now OOC... if I have him interact with others, I'll also probably place it at some other point and time.

... I just need a few moments to wrap my mind around where they would all fit together... Blush