Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! (/showthread.php?tid=14651)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Cato - 12-18-2015

(12-18-2015, 10:45 AM)Vyce Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 09:20 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Miqo'te aren't actually cats.

I don't like the fact that the biggest derogatory remarks going around right now are "Quicksand" and "catboy", and I wish the behavior associated with those remarks would disappear.

I don't like it either - but in many cases it's a matter of people exploiting them as convenient scapegoats. There's not as many Highlanders as there are Miqo'te but I've encountered far, far more sex crazed Highlanders than I have sex crazed Miqo'te.

People generally roll their eyes and distance themselves whenever it's a Miqo'te presenting themselves in that manner. Though that doesn't generally happen as much with some of the other races.

It was the same back in WoW with blood elves. They were one of the most popular races and conventionally attractive...and so a lot of people focused way too much on the negative and didn't realise that despite some of the other races being less popular the proportion of people using them for blatant ERP purposes was fairly similar.

...and if we're dealing with the 'animal trait' aspect? That isn't limited to Miqo'te either. There's at least one Highlander 'werewolf' and a fair few Au Ra 'Dragons'. Which, as expected, are largely played that way for the sake of what I refer to as 'ERP baiting'.

As far the OP's suggestions go...it feels rather tame in comparison. I don't believe that Miqo'te are anything more than 'mostly human' in terms of their behaviour and appearance but I could see the more eccentric individuals acting in such a manner. So long as this sort of thing remains headcanon and isn't pushed as the norm, however, then it's a lot easier for people to stomach.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Warren Castille - 12-18-2015

Individuals is one thing. Advocating overtly-feline behavior as a potential normal action for an entire species is a bit more. It's one thing to say "My tribe did this!" and another to suggest all tribes could or should.

nofunallowedrobot.jpg

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Vyce - 12-18-2015

I totally see what you mean about the Highlander thing. I suppose in my head I acknowledge Highlanders as the jockbro barbarian archaetype. Most of them are rough and tough and either hedonistic or very traditional. I think of ancient Greece and gladiators. They are also the most commercially attractive race, with their curves, musculature, and facial structure. They meet current real world beauty standards to a large degree, and I am more able to shrug oddities off. The thing about Hyur though is that they are an expansive and diverse race that is present in almost every society through history. They are canonically able to have a vast array of views and habits that would be highly uncommon in other races.
It's not the sex-crazed thing that bothers me  about Miqote though, since reproduction IS a big part of their culture. It's the accepted mainstream twisting of a race to justify cringeworthy behavior that ends up like this:

[Image: tumblr_meoi65BwHZ1qbld5c.png]
[Image: 040313_mermaidguyobsessionvidfeat-600x450.jpg]

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Meishali - 12-18-2015

Show Content

On a more serious note, let's keep in mind that this thread is a headcanon thread. What does the Urban Dictionary tells us about headcanons?

"Used by followers of various media of entertainment, such as television shows, movies, books, etc. to note a particular belief which has not been used in the universe of whatever program or story they follow, but seems to make sense to that particular individual, and as such is adopted as a sort of "personal canon"."

That's it! It's just what OP is 'thinking about'. The problem is that with headcanons people fear that if most players accept it, acknowledge it and play it, they might have to roleplay it as well because of peer pressure even if they don't like it. But it isn't true! Remember, you roleplay what you roleplay, and regardless of what you do, you'll always find people to play with you.

People posting headcanons here (and OP does it pretty often last time I checked?) just put them there for other to experiment if they're interested. I know that posting on the RPC anything at all is asked to be whipped by unhappy, frustrated people behind the screen, but I don't think OP asked or expected short comments such as "Miqo'te aren't actually cats". (Hello Warren)

There's a lot of stigma around Miqo'te, but I think to say that this might push the whole 'miqo'te /ARE/ cat people, look at me, I say NYA and make cat puns!' kind of crap is going a little too far. I think it's viable and makes perfect sense, as Miqo'te well... Have also culturally a very... Cat-like behaviour?

> They're territorial, careful, and barely mix with the other races.
> Males are often breeders with multiple partners. 
> Males fight for dominance.
> Female hunters. Hell ye.
> They have powerful legs and do pretty cool-ass jumps for humanoids.
> By the Twelve, look at the way the males stand and sit.
> Spitting and hissing sounds in names, probably maintaining the idea that some more traditional miqo'te can actually growl and make really really feline like growls, and spits.

I think it's pretty cool as it makes Miqo'te even more far away from the other humanoids, and makes sense if people don't actually like them/estrange them from society.

I RP a fifty-something Seeker who used to be a Nunh for quite a while, he can barely read and write, is gruffly as hell. "Gruffly dad is an adventurer" could be his character dynamic. If OP says it's mostly inspired by Lion-like behaviour, I'd say it's even more acceptable for traditional Seekers... Like my old man. Keepers being more like wolves, right?

In any case I hope more headcanons happen for other races because I'm a little disappointed to see that Miqo'te have the richest stuff, although, let's be honest, half the people who play them are not into actual RPing but into cybersex. And like my good friend said on skype earlier, "as soon as the au ra came out, half of the miqo'te race changed".

I do wish Miqo'te were 'uglier' sometimes. But SE can't make ugly people, it's scientifically proven.

TL;DR MEISHALI YOU TALK TOO MUCH, NICE HEADCANON!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Valence - 12-18-2015

Keepers share some of the traits shown by wolf packs yes (especially wandering unpaired males that mate with promiscuity with unpaired females of some packs before moving to another). 

But Keepers also do not seem to share the "paired for life" monogamous lifestyle shown by wolves, especially considering the ratio of males (if anything, males are more numerous in wolves, which tends to the opposite).

Though maybe, could it be argued that each Keeper family (being of similar size to wolf packs) actually has one sedentary alpha male staying with the matriarch, while all the other males are de facto wanderers?

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Mia Moui - 12-18-2015

Playing Miqo'te was my main reason for choosing to play FFXIV and there's nothing wrong that I can see with OP's headcanon.  It's not one I personally share but I don't play my Miqo'te as especially cat like.  But I also don't play her as the equivalent of a human wearing a cat ear headband and a strap on tail.

Mia sees very, very well in the dark.  She has very acute hearing. Can track scents.  Can run fast and jump high. Has exceptional balance.  Her ears and tails are reflective of her moods or even her thoughts. Has sharp teeth.  Kills game for sport (but tries to resist that).  Mia is also aloof and not much into social gatherings and does not trust easily. She can't roar but she can growl (which in my mind sounds more like caterwauling), and she hisses with H sounds.

Most of all that is supported in the lore of the game.

Some specifically cat like things:

In theory, Mia can purr but doesn't.
Mia does like to wedge herself into tight spaces, not necessarily boxes but...
Finds the highest vantage point in an area, if possible.
Can identify others by scent but is embarrassed to talk about it
And is fastidious about keeping her tail in perfect condition.

I play Mia as critical of Miqo'te who are sex workers because of how it might contribute to the belief that all Miqo'te are sex crazed and because she believes many of these Miqo'te are doing the work against their will.  She suspects that's exactly what happened to her sisters.  She's also not a fan of any Miqo'te fetish that some seem to have.

I honestly don't mind the idea of head bopping.  It's easy to believe that some tribes and families of Miqo'te practice that sort of thing.  But as someone said, some Miqo'te probably try to downplay any cat like equivalencies if only because it plays into the stereotype of them being descended from actual cats.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Naoh'ra - 12-18-2015

I would like to thank everyone for all varied replies and ways of thinking about the headcanon I posted first and foremost! I appreciate any and all feed back and while I disagree that people should limit the cat like behaviour in miqo'te, I also agree to a certain extent but it's easily avoided. 

If someone RPs something you don't enjoy or even cringe at you just don't RP with that person, and I respect that if you choose not to RP with me! It's an experience that is meant to be positive for all involved no matter how it's played! 

That said this is only my own personal headcanon that I'm not saying everyone should do, but I am inviting those who do like it to use it if they so choose to! It's not for everyone, and I understand if you think that it's a silly concept or 'too cat' for people to play, but I do think that belittling it or others who do RP cat like miqo'te is not okay.

Sure, the nyaaah and fetishisations go far, and can even hinder other RPers who do not do this because of the general stigma, but it's hard to ignore that miqo'te are cat like to an extent and will act in certain ways depending on who you're talking to as they're so spread out, cultures within tribes are so different and individuals are different!

I humbly ask that you respect your other RPers for how they choose to RP, whether it be strict to the lore or with a mix of that and further headcanons they took the time to come up with! 

Thank you once more for reading my post, and I admit I am disappointed that my post got derailed, however, I did ask for opinion and feedback and I do appreciate to hear what others had to say. 

Thank you!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Valence - 12-18-2015

Personally, if the lore never stated in the mi'qote description "feline characteristic", and seeker did not have those eyes, I would never especially have said "THOSE ARE CAT PEOPLE!". 

If anything, I might even have turned to canines rather than felines... I even thought at first that Keepers were inspired by the former.

To me it's of little consequence in fine, since they are primarily one of the many human races, with specific societal ways that are neither cat nor dog ways.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - AvalonBright - 12-20-2015

(12-18-2015, 07:34 PM)Valence Wrote: Personally, if the lore never stated in the mi'qote description "feline characteristic", and seeker did not have those eyes, I would never especially have said "THOSE ARE CAT PEOPLE!". 

If anything, I might even have turned to canines rather than felines... I even thought at first that Keepers were inspired by the former.
Huh

No offense but do you... "get" animals? I'm reminded of the infamous Pokemon "Legendary cats/dogs/beasts" argument, but... not realizing miqo'te are distinctly feline... ??????????

In any case I agree with some of the stuff mentioned late in this thread. I feel like people who don't want to say miqo'te are feline are people embarrassed by the cliches and such but still want to play one for some reason. Which is pretty silly. They're catpeople. They're some of the most catlike people in any anime/game out there.

Their emotes are feline, their attitude in speech boxes is littered with catlike behavior, their culture is feline, the list goes on. They're obviously catlike, what's up for debate is to what extent.

In Ashe's case she absolutely hisses and purrs and has a habit of wrapping her tail around another of her race when being affectionate. We've got the eyesight thing. Hearing, scenting, etc. She doesn't fill her speech with "nyas" and mews or whatever else.

But I mean, she's a cat person. Of course she's going to act like a bloody feline.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Aaron - 12-20-2015

(12-18-2015, 02:11 PM)Meishali Wrote:
Show Content

On a more serious note, let's keep in mind that this thread is a headcanon thread. What does the Urban Dictionary tells us about headcanons?

"Used by followers of various media of entertainment, such as television shows, movies, books, etc. to note a particular belief which has not been used in the universe of whatever program or story they follow, but seems to make sense to that particular individual, and as such is adopted as a sort of "personal canon"."

That's it! It's just what OP is 'thinking about'. The problem is that with headcanons people fear that if most players accept it, acknowledge it and play it, they might have to roleplay it as well because of peer pressure even if they don't like it. But it isn't true! Remember, you roleplay what you roleplay, and regardless of what you do, you'll always find people to play with you.

People posting headcanons here (and OP does it pretty often last time I checked?) just put them there for other to experiment if they're interested. I know that posting on the RPC anything at all is asked to be whipped by unhappy, frustrated people behind the screen, but I don't think OP asked or expected short comments such as "Miqo'te aren't actually cats". (Hello Warren)

There's a lot of stigma around Miqo'te, but I think to say that this might push the whole 'miqo'te /ARE/ cat people, look at me, I say NYA and make cat puns!' kind of crap is going a little too far. I think it's viable and makes perfect sense, as Miqo'te well... Have also culturally a very... Cat-like behaviour?

> They're territorial, careful, and barely mix with the other races.
> Males are often breeders with multiple partners. 
> Males fight for dominance.
> Female hunters. Hell ye.
> They have powerful legs and do pretty cool-ass jumps for humanoids.
> By the Twelve, look at the way the males stand and sit.
> Spitting and hissing sounds in names, probably maintaining the idea that some more traditional miqo'te can actually growl and make really really feline like growls, and spits.

I think it's pretty cool as it makes Miqo'te even more far away from the other humanoids, and makes sense if people don't actually like them/estrange them from society.

I RP a fifty-something Seeker who used to be a Nunh for quite a while, he can barely read and write, is gruffly as hell. "Gruffly dad is an adventurer" could be his character dynamic. If OP says it's mostly inspired by Lion-like behaviour, I'd say it's even more acceptable for traditional Seekers... Like my old man. Keepers being more like wolves, right?

In any case I hope more headcanons happen for other races because I'm a little disappointed to see that Miqo'te have the richest stuff, although, let's be honest, half the people who play them are not into actual RPing but into cybersex. And like my good friend said on skype earlier, "as soon as the au ra came out, half of the miqo'te race changed".

I do wish Miqo'te were 'uglier' sometimes. But SE can't make ugly people, it's scientifically proven.

TL;DR MEISHALI YOU TALK TOO MUCH, NICE HEADCANON!
That spoiler tag made me go fucking hysterical LMFAO

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Valence - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 12:26 AM)AvalonBright Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 07:34 PM)Valence Wrote: Personally, if the lore never stated in the mi'qote description "feline characteristic", and seeker did not have those eyes, I would never especially have said "THOSE ARE CAT PEOPLE!". 

Huh

No offense but do you... "get" animals? I'm reminded of the infamous Pokemon "Legendary cats/dogs/beasts" argument, but... not realizing miqo'te are distinctly feline... ??????????

In any case I agree with some of the stuff mentioned late in this thread. I feel like people who don't want to say miqo'te are feline are people embarrassed by the cliches and such but still want to play one for some reason. Which is pretty silly. They're catpeople. They're some of the most catlike people in any anime/game out there.

Their emotes are feline, their attitude in speech boxes is littered with catlike behavior, their culture is feline, the list goes on. They're obviously catlike, what's up for debate is to what extent.

In Ashe's case she absolutely hisses and purrs and has a habit of wrapping her tail around another of her race when being affectionate. We've got the eyesight thing. Hearing, scenting, etc. She doesn't fill her speech with "nyas" and mews or whatever else.

But I mean, she's a cat person. Of course she's going to act like a bloody feline.

Whao, whoa there, let's drop the assumptions for a moment. I have animals and i'm pretty much attached to them... 

I don't care the slightest what they are inspired from ultimately. I'm repeating what lore shows to me, and lore doesn't show me more feline stuff than anything else beside the eyes of the Seekers. Maybe I missed something obvious though? Do you have any NPC in mind that would prove me wrong? Ultimately I see a race of men with tails and ears with unique habits and culture. Do they go around the night purring and calling for mates? Do they perch themselves on roofs while mewling? Do they pee everywhere to mark their territory? Well, maybe, but I have yet to see than portrayed in game...

I can find as many differences as you would find similarities. So equating them to mere cat-people is doing the lore a great, great disservice I think, where they seem to be a lot more than just that.

As for animations, seriously, they look more moe to me than any actual animal behaviour... If your cats are behaving that way with such manners, i'm wondering where they come from... And let's be honest, that's pure fan service here.

Note: cats do not have a monopoly on scent, eyesight, powerful legs, etc.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Meishali - 12-20-2015

Show Content

Thank the Twelve I made a mini-summary of why the Miqo'te are a cat-like race. Dodgy

No, Valence, it's not fanservice. They are a feline race. That is incontestable, no matter what you think, prefer, would like, and dislike about it. They have feline traits. And unlike "fanservice-y" races seen in anime and japanese pop culture in general I think they have more animalistic trait and were made that way 75% because the dev find it an interesting lore-dynamic. Imo.

This thread is not the place to discuss it in my opinion, but I suggest you open a RP discussion thread about how the Miqo'te aren't "cat-like" if this is something you think is very important to discuss. I'll gladly join you there.

I'm going to hop out from the thread and unsubscribe. I want to see more headcanons from Naoh'ra though! Big Grin

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Valence - 12-20-2015

Ah well I think we may be misunderstanding each other there.

Nowhere I claim they do not have feline traits. Actually, it's written in the basic lore description. 

ffwikia Wrote:Miqo'te (ミコッテ, Mikotte?) is a feline race from Eorzea in Final Fantasy XIV. (ffwikia)

lodestone Wrote:Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails.

Prosperlain Wrote:The Keepers of the Moon are the more numerous of the two Miqo'te clans you will see here in Gridania. Even so, their kind are few enough, as many and more care not for life in the city.

They have the characteristic feline eyes and long swaying tails and I daresay that in comparison to the Seekers of the Sun, they tend to be a bit more reticent and reserved. Time was, our own Gods' Quiver used to clash with the Keepers that were out hunting in the Twelveswood. But these days we deal with them friendly enough, trading what crops and hides are to be had.

I took that for granted since day one, and yet, you really have to look for it to see clear allusion to "feline traits". The first one is just the general non official wiki, and the second ones actually speaks about the tails and eyes, not even the whole. And even for the tails and ears honestly, half of them visually are as much as canine than feline ingame...

So... yeah.

Now then, i'm not going to nitpick around that as it's rather obvious that a certain part of the visual and fluff for the graphic depiction of the race has feline characteristics. I don't think anyone tried to deny that. 

I may also have overlooked or don't remember various tidbits encountered in the story or sidequests that depicted them as feline as well, either obvious hints or whatever else.

The thing i'm contesting however, is that people tend to assume out of very, very little clear allusions to specifically feline things (the lodestone allusion to tails, seekers eyes, hissing sounds for the names maybe?), and again, things I don't contest here since it's written in the lodestone, that because of those few specific feline things, everything about the race therefore HAS TO follow the wonderful world of cats.

Territorial behaviour? Cats yes, but dogs, even more.

Lone, reclusive wandering males? Wolves, not cats.

Alpha males and fights for mating? Lions, true, especially for seekers, but also wolves, etc.

Even that put apart, there is a strong layer of metaphor and transposition too. We are not speaking about cats, we are speaking about a human race that isn't elezen, hyur, etc, but mi'qote. Some of their cultural traits are inherited from felines, or else, but never on a literal level.

Never at all. That's a disservice to the lore, and I find it a bit disingenuous, or wishful thinking.

Do they purr? Maybe, not stated anywhere.

Do they hiss? Not really, only stretched clue could be the 'h' in their naming conventions. Doesn't mean that they hiss at hostile people.

Do they spit? Not seen any allusion to that. 

I could go on and on, really. 

Now then, you are free to do whatever you like interpretation wise of course. I'm certainly not going to tell you how to roleplay them, and if that's what floats your boat, go for it!

I'm just trying to explain my point of view here, and how I think people are making a lot of assumptions.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Naoh'ra - 12-20-2015

Hey everyone, OP here.

Please take discussion about how miqo'te are cat or dog like or anything unrelated to the first post to another thread. I posted to share a headcanon that others can use and talk about that specific headcanon, not get into an argument about miqo'te being catlike or not. 

I thank you once again for the replies that were on topic, but I would appreciate my thread not being so derailed and off topic discussions being taken elsewhere.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate the passion some have for the race and I do take this into account and have read all the posts about it on my thread, but it was derailed from the start and I humbly ask that if further posts are made here they be about the OP and the topic at hand specifically.

Thank you!

--OP

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Momoka - 12-20-2015

if miqote were racoon people instead Id fantasia EVERYTHINg.