Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Development: When is too much? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Development: When is too much? (/showthread.php?tid=1498)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Eva - 12-21-2012

This reminds me of a thread I posted a couple years back about what was termed "bandwagon" storyline elements from FFXI and other games. That is, character backhistory or plot points which may not be inherently bad or unoriginal. But, with repeated use by multiple characters, whether intentionally or through circumstance, begin to erode at that sense of uniqueness and often leave both the RPer as well as those who interact with him/her feeling a certain amount of disappointment.

I think from my own experiences that it's probably fair to say that the 'turncoat Garlean' and the 'Ala Mhigan refugee' have been done. That's not to say that a new RPer shouldn't pursue their character being something like that if they're well-read on the lore and passionate about it. But I've always advocated that newer arrivals to the RP community first get a sense for what's already out there before diving into anything ("first your ear, then your tongue"). Even something simple as a RPC post asking, "Hey, has such-and-such a concept been done before?" or to gauge how receptive other RPers might be to something is never a bad idea.

As has been said already, in the end each RPer should play their character(s) in a way that brings them enjoyment, but this should also be balanced with some awareness at least - if not respect - for how other RPers (who are also seeking enjoyment for themselves) will perceive that character.

Unless something is WAY outlandish, I'm pretty happy to RP with just about anyone. I do have my preferences, and OOCly there are some character or story elements I have found distasteful for one reason or another. But unless expressly solicited, I usually don't make it a point to rain on anyone's parade. And I think that's probably more important than anything else. Where there is mutual respect and tolerance for different styles of RP, there is room for a lot of enjoyment.

EDIT: As a footnote, the issue with bandwagon-type RP has less to do with the lore of the game than it has to do with the community. While having a solid understanding of the world you'll be RPing in is important, it's really only half of the equation. Often that lore can be twisted or interpreted in different ways anyway. With regard to RP, it may be prudent to keep one finger on the pulse of the RP community with which you will be interacting (whether via the RPC or the linkshell/company/group you're considering joining). I think this is so often overlooked and then RPers sometimes are left confused or wondering why ideas that seemed so great to them fall short of their expectations - often because a dozen other characters have similar stories.

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Satisiun - 12-21-2012

Vareal Wrote:I have another question; Isaac and Ailith were born in Ala Mihgo, they were both 6 years old when the Empire attacked. They managed to escape with the help of Melfina. Is that something that's plausible, or am I again missing something?

If you speak to the right NPCs in 1.0 [size=xx-smal](and even 2.0's Alpha)[/size], you can find that even now there are refugees arriving from Ala Mihgo to other city-states and the hamlets which surround them. Sati's family, in fact, left Ala Mhigo prior to its downfall, though his family was tipped off in large part because they are traveling merchants, and so they knew a great many people who had ears and lips in the proverbial grapevine to know the best time to depart before things got ugly.

The Silver Bazaar, for example, is mentioned in lore as a hamlet which took in a great many Ala Mhigans after it was overtaken by the Garlean Empire.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=25197">http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=25197</a><!-- m -->

Considering the plight of refugees escaping violent wars and civil strife in the real world, it stands to reason you would see the same thing in Eorzea. A lot of those refugees also seemed to head for Gridania or Ul'dah, so take that for what it's worth.

Addendum: Just remember, by the way, that you will not be able to please everyone with the character you make. And to quote my favorite author, Kurt Vonnegut, who I think is semi-apropos in this case:

"Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia."

While writing for a character that interacts with other characters not written by you does mean you need to consider external influences, just remember that you want to have fun, you know?

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Merri - 12-21-2012

Yssen Wrote:Cid was the son of a Legatus

Grand Minister of Industry, I think. Cid was actually named a Minister simply because his father was of such influence in the Imperial court. Of course, he eventually came around to realizing the terrifying neglect for human life that existed within the empire after the Boja Citadel incident, which involved the Meteor project accidently killing an unknown (but presumably massive) amount of innocent lives. Not to nit-pick, I just love the Garlemald lore, so I'll jump on the train!

Everything Yssen said about the brainwashing is absolutely right. Garlemald has always needed to apply it's wit and cunning to win it's battles. It was actually an incredibly small and impoverished nation, known as the Garlemad Republic. It wasn't until Solus zos Galvus enlisted in the military and rose to the rank of Legatus that things began to change. He ushered in the era of Magitek (after what I think we can safely assume was the reverse-engineering of Allagan tech, but who knows) and eventually found himself at the seat of the newly form Garlean Empire as it's emperor. The fact that a lone person was able to single handedly cause an industrial revolution and abolish the republic is an impressive feat in it's own right, but sort of serves as an allegory for the empire itself. Lots of deceiving.

Getting off tangent, though.

Another extreme aspect of the Garlean Millitary is that they are literally forced to at least kill something, be it humanoid or animal, every single day as to make it a habit and something they can do without question or hesitance. They are literally conditioned into killing machines and nothing more. Because of that, I'd like to think any rank and file members of the armed forces would literally be broken individuals should they leave. There's obviously room for interpenetration, but I like to think most, if not all of them would not be able to function in Eorzean society. There would probably be so many underlying mental conditions that it would take years and years of therapy to shake off even the tiniest bit. That's something to think about.

Secondly, magic and the empire. Yssen is absolutely right in the seventh legion being primarily made up of recruits from territories on the outer edge of Garlemald, as well as brainwashed Ala Mhgians. This is simply because full blooded Garleans are almost completely inept at magic. For whatever reason, Garleans cannot use magic well, if at all. We saw some magic users, namely healers, while the empire was assaulting Eorzea. These members could not have hailed from Garlemald in most cases as they simply cannot use magic. It's also mentioned that the empire is still incredibly small, despite it's vast territory. It simply doesn't have enough people in it's armed forces to cover and defend all of it's territory. They're stretched very thin, even more so because of the fact that they're locked in a massive war with a yet-to-be named far eastern kingdom, who isn't yielding any ground. Apparently the majority of Garlemald's forces are actually focused on that eastern front. The western front, being Eorzea, is not as significant for whatever reason.

Which brings us to the western front, being Ala Mhigo and Gyr Abania. I'd say it's a touchy subject, but obviously it's one of those things where if you want to make it work, you probably can. I'll just give the lore aspects. Ala Mhigo wasn't conquered traditionally. There was no protracted siege, nor a massive conflict. Ala Mhigo was actually conquered with minimal bloodshed. This is mainly because Ala Mhigo was already in political turmoil due to it's king having gone absolutely mad. He nearly succeeded in completely wiping the order of the Fists of Rhalgr (Ala Mhigo's largest religion and an organization with significant power in the city-state) off the face of Eorzea in a brutal slaughter, and began to execute any nobility or person he saw as a threat to his power. King Theodoric eventually commited suicide in lieu of being murdered by his citizens. The nation was a impoverished shell of it's former self, and there was a great deal of civil unrest. Van Baelsar was able to play on those feelings and promise the Ala Mhigans refuge under Imperial rule. Most accepted that without question, and the city was conquered in a matter of a day or two if memory serves me correctly. In all honesty, I'd like to think that life under Imperial rule was actually better than it was under King Theodoric.

Obviously some opposed, and they were either put down by Garlemald or managed to escape in some way, shape, or form. There are plenty of Ala Mhigan refugees about, and while I'm sure escape from the city would be difficult, the resistance probably has some means of sneaking people out.

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Vareal - 12-21-2012

Satisiun Wrote:Addendum: Just remember, by the way, that you will not be able to please everyone with the character you make. And to quote my favorite author, Kurt Vonnegut, who I think is semi-apropos in this case:

"Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia."

While writing for a character that interacts with other characters not written by you does mean you need to consider external influences, just remember that you want to have fun, you know?

While I full heartedly agree with you on this, I'm still a little apprehensive. If you remember, I was under fire about Eternal Darkness' original manifestation. While not all complaints were totally unwarranted, she was picked apart before I could explain her entire story. That hit me pretty hard and ever since I've second, even triple, guessed myself on characters that I've created and while I persevere and stick around, I've felt like kind of an outcast because of that. I'm positive that feeling that way is entirely my fault. All I've wanted was to just be part of the group and have a good time.

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Aysun - 12-23-2012

Vareal Wrote:While I full heartedly agree with you on this, I'm still a little apprehensive. If you remember, I was under fire about Eternal Darkness' original manifestation. While not all complaints were totally unwarranted, she was picked apart before I could explain her entire story. That hit me pretty hard and ever since I've second, even triple, guessed myself on characters that I've created and while I persevere and stick around, I've felt like kind of an outcast because of that. I'm positive that feeling that way is entirely my fault. All I've wanted was to just be part of the group and have a good time.

Sadly in the RP world, same as the world we live in now, the best way to "fit in" is to be common. The best way to stick out like a sore thumb? Be uncommon, elaborate.

But remember, common does not mean boring. Work WITH the lore we're given. Use your chosen race's traits, use the cities we know and are familiar with, use the religious aspect of the game, have fun with those aspects, etc.. Your character can be interesting and unique without bending the lore, having ties with someone in the storyline, and such. Having a personality, with both faults and strengths stemming from a character's experiences (written history and RP), is the most important thing to me and something I enjoy most in other characters.

You could have the coolest, best written, most involved backstory in the world, but if I RP with you and your character seems lifeless outside of when they're talking about their story, I don't want to RP with you. So then, what's the point of the backstory?

Re: Character Development: When is too much? - Vareal - 12-23-2012

Truer words have not been spoken. I sincerely hope I've hit the nail on the head, or at least close to it, with Isaac. I'm still working out some kinks, but I'm not going to give up on him. I've altered his story a little in the the past couple of days to accommodate him more into the game's lore instead of things I had created in the past. I have forsaken everything about my past characters and started anew. I'm really trying >.<