Hydaelyn Role-Players
Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Will miss not knowing more of the original story (/showthread.php?tid=1504)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Darkfae - 02-27-2013

(02-27-2013, 01:08 AM)Bernini-Martini Wrote: Edit: Oh. Brainstorm!  There's a pretty big problem nobody's addressed yet.  All of the 'heroes' of the battle got put into a Doctor Who-esque Time Lock, or something similar.  The world goes on without them, develops without them, adjusts without them.  Suddenly, they all return.  That's great and all.  The heroes return.  But that's a pretty huge population spike in the span of a few days. A crippled world that struggles enough on its own suddenly has to support more people!  That could be a hell of a socio-economic crisis.  Nobody wants to disrespect the heroes or disregard their needs, but where were they while we rebuilt?  Can they support themselves, or did their heroic skills wane?  Do they even have any money or family to support them?  What if their old homes survived, but new residents took it over out of need?

I doubt any of their skill degraded. Supposedly, even though five years passed in the world, it was mere seconds for those who were sent into the rift. They would be capable of what they could do previously, and while they would create an additional pull on the food supplies, they're actually quite a boon for the world.

They saw first hand what Bahamut was like, and can provide clearer information than those who were bystanders or not even present at his attack site(s). They also can fend off the ferocious monsters that have appeared, and many might have been skilled craftsmen or gatherers; they might not even put as much of a strain on the food supplies if a good percentage of them were gatherers too.

With the Grand Companies being largely destroyed, there's a lot of need for heroes and strong spirits (which might not yet have been heroes, per se), so they're likely a welcomed addition.

RE: Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Merri - 02-27-2013

Not to mention that while it hasn't been directly addressed, I don't believe (and mind you, this is my own personal opinion. Others may differ) that there would be anywhere near a large population spike.

Bottom line, lore-wise I'm pretty sure only a few parties of adventurers were teleported by Louisoix. Yours, the one from the cutscene, and maybe a few others. I don't believe it was ever played up that thousands and thousands of people were instantaneously teleported. Sure, that's what's literally going to happen with the game, but that's across multiple servers and doesn't correlate entirely with the main story.

As far as the main story is concerned in-game, our "characters" were the lucky chosen few.

Now, in line with that, I'd like to believe that the people who were teleported, more or less, are those who actually roleplayed it happening. All the other people who don't roleplay are just sort of bodies that weren't a part of that, and that cuts down on the tens of thousands of others.

With that in mind, those that were teleported might well be under a 100 people, which seems much more plausible. A mass teleportation spell that could send thousands of people into the future seems kind of silly, since Louisoix would have been able to just save everyone present. I think it's inferred his magic could only save so many, so he chose the bravest among them, as is mentioned in this:

video.

As far as skills waning goes, you can simply watch the "A New Beginning" trailer to get a feel for what happened. They literally pop up still in the poses that they were in before they were teleported. I believe it's inferred that to them, it was the blink of an eye. Our bodies were perfectly suspended in time, which is why we haven't aged. We will be the exact same as when we left from that battlefield.

Lastly, us that were teleported will actually be unique in the lore of the world. It has been mentioned that those of us that were teleported will be known as "Hollow beings" or "Hollow ones" by the general public. What exactly this means, and why we're referred to as this is unknown yet. However, they most likely won't be able to just "blend" back into society for some reason or another. At least, that's what I believe is being implied. We won't exactly be normal.

RE: Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Rhostel - 02-27-2013

I figured Louisoix's spell affected anyone present who was touched by the Echo. In fact, that it was the Echo that made it work. Therefore the numbers could be anything.

Of course, those with the Echo not present at the battle wouldn't be sent. The spell had a radius. Thus Minfilia and others (Rhostel >_>) who were elsewhere would still take the slow path to the future.

Of course, that's a problem for those who RP as not having the Echo but want to be timeskipped. :\

RE: Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Rhio - 02-27-2013

I've never liked handwaving things with the Echo; I assumed that Louisoix pretty much sent every living non-Garlean on the field forward, because even John Failspear the Level 0 Crowd-Surfer is going to do more good in the distant future than the immediate future. (The immediate future at that point consisted of getting killed by Bahamut.)

By my reading, at this point Louisoix had a lot of power without a lot of scope or time. He had the physical strength left for one more cast (funneling the power of gods through a mortal body is always going to result in some serious fatigue, just like running 10 gigawatts through a 6 watt fuse), and he had to make it count. So he scooped up everyone in range and shoved them forward.

Of course, that's only half a step away from assuming everything just works at the speed of plot. (Who did he pick to send into the future? All the people that got sent into the future. Doy.)

RE: Will miss not knowing more of the original story - Darkfae - 02-28-2013

Another thing to keep in mind...

I worked in the MMO industry before I got sick, and there was a common thing the developers always wished people would remember about their characters (especially RPers) - we are technically the minority in the world setting. Even though we don't always get to see them (less the case now a days with tech advances but still), there are thousands more NPCs than we know of, your average Joe who isn't and adventurer.

Where I worked, we sort of decided without really talking about it that the player populace was somewhere between 1% - 5% of the population; the average agreed upon was 2% - 3%. Some games may have more of the population be the player populace - I could see something like City of Heroes/Villains being more like 5% - 10% because of it's setting information. But for the more part, every game setting assumes the player populace is a low percentage of the actual populace.

As Merri mentioned, we can also sort of cut out anyone who isn't an RPer coming over or coming back, since they're not really all that involved with our calculations as a whole, and likely don't give a shit about it. That would bring down the percentiles even more!