Hydaelyn Role-Players
What is gil worth to you? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What is gil worth to you? (/showthread.php?tid=16493)

Pages: 1 2

RE: What is gil worth to you? - Jana - 06-21-2016

I always find it helpful to use inexact phrasing as others have mentioned (enough for a meal at the CUL guild, enough for a chocobo porter to a distant camp, etc.) but when Jana hands anyone a large amount of Gil, I've made use of the promissory banknote as well.

I've also characterized her as someone who lives frugally but actually has a lot of money she's willing to drop on unexpected problems, so instances in which she pisses a lot of Gil away for a specific IC purpose are usually done with a banknote.

RE: What is gil worth to you? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-21-2016

(06-21-2016, 07:34 PM)Jana Wrote: I always find it helpful to use inexact phrasing as others have mentioned (enough for a meal at the CUL guild, enough for a chocobo porter to a distant camp, etc.) but when Jana hands anyone a large amount of Gil, I've made use of the promissory banknote as well.

I've also characterized her as someone who lives frugally but actually has a lot of money she's willing to drop on unexpected problems, so instances in which she pisses a lot of Gil away for a specific IC purpose are usually done with a banknote.

I typically use banknotes, or for large amounts, I describe it in other terms like:

Weeks wages for a laborer, years wages, a laborer could work for decades and never see such a sum. Small house, large house, mansion. Suit of armor, trained chocobo, food for a week, etc etc.

RE: What is gil worth to you? - Gabineaux - 06-21-2016

So, we could use Eastern Cherry Trees as a form of currency almost huh?

Laugh

As far as I'm concerned there's IC gil and OOC gil. I'm pretty flexible with how people RP it with me though. 7gil for a drink, 700gil for a drink, whatever. In both scenarios 2mil for a date is absolutely insane.

RE: What is gil worth to you? - Gegenji - 06-21-2016

Pricing things "appropriately" playing a smith character always has me second-guessing myself. I think the topic came up before, but no definite value was given then either. As Sounsyy said, it might just be something left nebulous and best handled by being vague as others have been. Still, I do like the 5 gil= $1 idea, and have always assumed there were larger denomination coins.

Though, truth be told, I usually make stuff up. I had Chachan ask for 50 gil for a letter opener he made, for example. And then just worry I picked a bad number until they pay it. Blush

RE: What is gil worth to you? - HonZoMon - 06-21-2016

Gil is my everything.

Don't care for raids/gear/pvp

This is my endgame.

Show Content

RE: What is gil worth to you? - Shoshopu - 06-21-2016

This was one of the Great Debates of the GW2 RP community (not just GW2RP, but-- the RP community of GW2) and I'm sure it's only harder to suss out in FFXIV, just on account of its... well... SE-ness.

Personally I don't have an IRL money comparison to make. When it comes to the infrequency IC gil usually comes up, consistency isn't terribly important, really- so most of the time you can just say "a little bit of gil", "a lot of gil", or "the appropriate amount of gil and a generous tip" or something like that, but if an exact number is necessary, I compare to the closest NPC equivalent I can find- armor vendors, food vendors, guildleve quest rewards, etc.

RE: What is gil worth to you? - Caspar - 06-21-2016

I use abstractions, but generally, because my character's earnings are entirely tied up in services and consumed goods, I don't really engage with this problem that often. To put it less delicately, she barely breaks even with all the traveling, eating and replacing gear. If I had other characters who were heavily invested in commerce, I imagine it would rapidly become a headache, because I *do* like to be exact from time to time.