Hydaelyn Role-Players
Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] (/showthread.php?tid=17399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Melkire - 01-15-2017

Arrzaneth Ossuary had, in his experience, always been a dreary place. That it was “dull” was not something he could claim. The seat of power for both the Order of Nald’thal and the thaumaturges’ guild was anything but dull. The trouble, he’d found, was not his lack of interest in the texts, the studies, the techniques, sometimes even the laws… but rather in the atmosphere of the place. Walking into the Ossuary always felt like leading your own funeral procession. Fittingly so, aye, but it was discomforting all the same, even for one so intimate with death such as himself.

This sun was no different. Mages scurried this way and that across the floor, and a line of supplicants eager to devote their souls -- and their gil -- to Nald could be seen standing before his effigy. The guards at the doors looked him and his companion over; there were a few raised eyebrows and some shifting of feet, but they allowed Osric Melkire to pass, and the Lominsan led Aya Foxheart inside. At least they were no longer out in the open; dark clouds had blanketed the sky all sun long, and they promised an inevitable deluge of rain.

“Hisa,” he said to her as they moved further in. “Was all the man gave me. No description… but it sounds ‘fellin.”

Hisa had, in fact, been the name he’d been given when he’d approached the captain helming the Golden Fleet vessel. He’d been shocked to recognize a galleon of Ul’dah in La Noscean waters, and given the circumstances he’d felt obliged to inquire after their business there. Alas, he’d been turned away and told that he’d have more luck speaking to an official if he wanted to know anything about their orders.

“That or Doman….”

That drew him up short; he’d been about to retort, but on second thought she had a valid point.

“Hadn’t thought o’ that, I must admit.” He chuckled. “See? Knew bringin’ you was a good idea.”

She nodded at him. He grinned at her, so she beamed back. “Of course it was!”

They ended up spending the better part of a tenth-bell asking around; Lalafell were the most populous race in Ul’dah, rivaled only by the Hyur; that distribution was even more apparent here in the microcosm that was the Ossuary. At last, though, they found themselves in one of the far back corners of the main chamber, looking down at….

Her lalafellin ears perked up as they approached, and she turned towards them. Her dress was not at all modest compared to the adepts that bustled about; the garments were decidedly Near Eastern in appearance, and the turban that covered her head and veiled her face looked thick and expensive.

“Ah.” Osric pulled up short again. “Excuse me, s--”

He paused as he noted the dress. Dress. Not a robe, not a vest with slops or breeches, not leathers… a dress. A revealing one, in fact.

"And who might you be?"

"...'pologies, miss, but I was pointed 'ere t'ask after a Madam or Miss Hisa? We've come a long way, m'friend 'n' I...."

He bowed to her, even as the Lalafell turned to regard him. Aya cocked her hips as she settled into a resting pose. The blonde winked playfully to the little woman with a knowing grin.

"I am Miss Hisa. What does a ill-dressed man needs with me? And you must be Miss Aya Foxheart. Far from the Quicksand, are you?"

"--ahh,” Osric glanced over his shoulder at Aya. “Shite, you been back that long? Thought mayhap y'came straight from Limsa, same as I did...."

Aya glanced back at him. "Ah! I've been back and forth so much lately! But Madame Momodi doesn't let me miss every shift!"

The Lominsan rolled his eyes and turned back to Miss Hisa. "We were hopin' t'inquire after the Golden Fleet's interest in current on-goin's on Vylbrand."

Miss Hisa stared at them in silence for a moment or two. "What do you need? We're only protecting our interests in the region. As you may know, Ul'dah does not share a peaceful history with the dirty pirates of Limsa."

Osric's lips twitched. "No... no, they don't."

"Then it would be reasonable for Ul'dah to protect her own coin and countrymen, as well as her fellow member of the Eorzean Alliance."

The woman sneered up at him. It was barely visible, given the veil, but it was there. It showed in her tone, as well, which made it impossible to miss… but he let it pass without comment, and only nodded. Aya, however, seemed to be fighting to hold onto a warm smile as she asked--

"Protect from what, Madame?"

Hisa looked over at the woman, "From renegade pirates and scum. The admiral can barely control her own hounds, much less the wild wolves that prowl the Sea of Jade. Suns ago, a few pirates decided to lay themselves down in front of Syndicate investments in Costa." She frowned deeply, and then that frown twisted into another sneer. "Of course, that problem was apparently dealt with."

"Yeah...?" Aya’s eyes opened a little wider. "What happened?"

"Heard about this,” said Osric. “Some ghost ship settled matters, aye?"

"Yes,” said Hisa. “A most intrepid 'pirate', typical of the lot. Saw his chance to make a name and blew the other pirate to the Traders’ Realm."

"That sounds so familiar...!” Aya seemed genuinely interested. “But that wasn't a Golden Fleet ghost ship was it...?"

"I've heard this is a common means of 'succession' among the pirate folk,” said Hisa. “And no, it was not."

"Nahhh,” said Osric, “some folks've been claimin' it was the Revenge. But that's hogwash. Damned thing doesn't exist."

Hisa stared up at Aya for a moment. "The captain was named Simb'a Fuckintia, if I recall."

It took all of Osric’s not-so-inconsiderable willpower to keep a straight face as he turned back to Hisa and bowed again. "Puttin' aside the matter o' Seeker scum, miss, we were actually lookin' t'help, in a manner o' speakin'."

"In what way?" The Lalafellin woman looked agitated.

Aya blinked, and looked a little as if she'd missed something entirely, "So pirates dealt with the pirate problem.. and the Golden Fleet is... dealing.. with.. the pirates...?"

"The Golden Fleet deals with Ul'dahn investments,” Hisa explained. “We cannot allow shipments… we cannot allow our trade to be jeopardized."

Aya looked a little satisfied with that for the moment, if not entirely so, so Osric grunted and barged onward.

"Have it on good authority.. 'n' not the Admiralty's kind--" He sneered at the mere thought of Merlwyb. "--that a shipment o' ceruleum was delivered t'Limsa not too long ago. The independents who claimed 'n' paid for the lot... well... records 'n' logs have 'em as Gridanians."

"And?" Hisa sneered at him again. She seemed overly fond of sneering. He was tempted to warn her that her face would freeze that way. He didn’t. "You still haven't told me exactly what you are asking for, Mister... Red Shirt?"

Osric waved his hands, idly musing for a moment on how many folk seemed inclined to identify him by his clothes rather than his features. "Now hold on, let me explain, aye? Might've been born a son o' Limsa, but I grew t'love the Jewel. I don't want trouble brewin' between the two of 'em, but someone's seen fit t'smuggle ceruleum from some new field somewhere onto Vylbrand 'n' then off to the Twelveswood. Is it truly in the best interests o' Ul'dah for Gridania t'come to the fore? Think of it: another field out there somewhere, t'rival the rivers 'n' deposits o' Northern Thanalan...."

Miss Hisa, thank the gods, finally looked a little interested. He sighed with relief.

"Ain't good. Ain't good at all. No profit. Missed opportunities, 'n' swellin' rivals."

"And what do you propose, Mister Red Shirt…?"

He smiled. "Tracked down the name o' the family what owns the venture. Figure I'd point the Golden Fleet towards 'em 'n' let a proper family sort matters out."

"And the name?"

Osric looked up and over his shoulder at Aya. "Eglantine."

Miss Foxheart was listening intently, of course, though an expression halfway between a friendly smile and slight confusion marred her features. She met Osric’s glance with her own at the mention of the Eglantines. Miss Hisa, however, looked very confused, so he went on.

"...prominent family with long lineage, settled on Vylbrand ages ago. They're some o' the few who could be considered merchant-nobles, if they were Ul'dahn."

"Never heard of them." She stared up at him with a straight and almost unmoving face.

He grunted. "Was worried about that. What would it take t'convince you t'look into the matter 'fore Ul'dahn interests begin t'lose their footholds in Limsa?"

"Who said we have footholds? Ul'dah is a member of the Eorzean Alliance. We respect national boundaries. At the moment, there is but a single ship in Limsa. It is there to protect our interests, but jurisdiction still falls to the Maelstrom."

He didn’t buy her denial, not even for a single moment. That she wasn’t in deep with criminal elements? Passing up profit was not Ul’dahn. That said, he allowed his face to fall even further, as though he were genuinely dismayed.

"Boundaries... o' course you do. Apologies for insinuatin' otherwise. I've... tried to take this to the Maelstrom. They won't hear me out. Too much coin, too much pressure from the thalassocracy."

"And what do you have to say? What proof do you have of your allegations?"

Aya’s seeming confusion manifested again as she asked, "What's the ship doing there, anyway..?"

"It is there to protect my and other Ul'dahn investments, since the Maelstrom is... preoccupied. Something about a mutiny and a hanging."

"From what... unnamed pirates?"

"From renegade pirates, from Sahagin and their Serpent Reavers, and others."

"Rioters, too,” interjected Osric. “The whole o' Limsa is up in arms about this, each 'n' every deck." He shrugged. "Things were... unpleasant, when I left."

"Those Lominsans should hurry up and hang whomever it is, so that everyone can get back to business,” Hisa mused. “A few of my associates were displeased when they learned that the hanging had been delayed."

"Sounds like a normal day in Ul'dah," Aya all but groused.

Osric chuckled. "You asked for proof. I've the pages from the ledger what logged the Gridanian merchantman. Follow the names 'n' the coin long enough, 'n' you'll come to the same conclusions I did. I can't prove that the ceruleum was there... but you'll note that she docked for all of a sun, 'n' for nothin' noteworthy. Not even shore leave; they had plenty o' that huggin' the coast the whole way there."

Miss Hisa held her hand out, and Osric reached into his shirt and pulled forth several loose pages of parchment that looked like they’d been gently ripped from whatever bindings had once held them. He passed them over to her, and then stood in silence as her large eyes scanned the contents.

The pages were, in fact, torn from actual Maelstrom ledgers. The Gridanian vessel was easy to pick out, as the name did not fit the usual conventions for sloops and brigs of Limsa Lominsa. There were accompanying pages that linked the vessel to prominent merchants, fences, servicemen, nobles... to those in high society, it was telling that many of those individuals shared a single association in common. Eglantine.

The information seemed legitimate, and matched the Hyur's claims. There was, as he said, no proof of ceruleum, but the rest was there.

Hisa’s faced remained emotionless as she perused the pages. At last, she looked up. "I see. This is, in fact, authentic. However, there is no mention of ceruleum. Most ceruleum is processed and moved by rail or airship. It would also seem strange that Gridania has a ship registry at all, considering how much wood it would take to build a ship."

"Does, don't it."

"They won't let us poke one of their trees, much less allow others to carve a galleon out of them."

Osric crossed his arms. "There's a field out there somewhere, on the seas. Hells, put aside the ceruleum for a moment. They were clearly there for somethin' o' worth."
She gazed up at him and seemed to reflect on that. "And you want my… you want our ship to help you secure it?"

He shook his head "...I'd like your help in seein' to it that Gridania leaves Limsa t'clean up its own mess, free o' interference. Ain't right that the Twelveswood should profit off the turmoil when it's causin' business woes for Ul'dah."

"So you want us to open up discussions with the Twin Adders? Regarding a ceruleum field?"

"Regardin' a field, aye. M'friends seem to think it's out on the east coast somewhere, 'long the Sea o' Jade. The field... 'n' regardin' the Vylbrandi family what forwarded the capital for the venture."

"Under the Eorzean Alliance, if said field exists and disputes arise, it would be treated as a collective resource. At worse, they'll float a platform out there and have each of the Grand Companies maul each other for resources, as they have been doing."

She laughed at the insanity of it all, and Osric smiled.

"That's all we want. Fair shares 'mongst Eorzeans."

"And so.... what do you want me to do?"

"...pull strings? You were the lady we were pointed at, when we approached the Fleet regardin'... y'know."

"I have a lot of strings. Some I can only pull once. Others take a little more force. You need to be more precise, Red Shirt Man."

"A letter of complaint!” Aya looked rather enthused and adamant as she spoke up. “That seems the Ul'dahn way!"

The Lominsan couldn’t help but bark a laugh at that. "Suffice t'say that we'd like you t'look after your own interests. Just so happens that ours coincide, 'n' so I wanted it brought to your attention. What you do with it is up t'you, in the end."

"I suppose so,” said Hisa. “On the other hand, what do you know about a mysterious metal beast that's been prowling around the area?"

Osric's eyes widened a little and he grunted.

Aya’s eyes widened a little, too. "Sounds mysterious!"

"...Garlean-make, 'swhat I hear. Folks shouldn't sail 'long the shorelines o’ Rothlyt Sound. It's why enlistin' the Adder's help would be better, in the end."

"Some drunken sailors from the 'ghost ship' have been spreading rumors,” said Hisa, “and there are whispers from up north about a recent encounter."

Osric smirked again. "Aye. I was there for that."

Aya did not seem convinced. That she didn’t roll her eyes was, in Osric’s opinion, a minor miracle. "Oh yes, ghost sailors and their rumors!"

Hisa looked a little skeptical, but not too skeptical. "... I said it was a beast. You means to tell me... it was a Garlean contraption?"

He shrugged. "What else? Leviathan's been stilled again 'n' again. Damned thing is keen on wreckin' Limsa, not some coastline malms to the north. 'n' besides Llymlaen's Serpent, I can't think o' any other beasts what'd match. Ain't no kraken, that's for certain."

"Is it another of their autonomous machina? A sea serpent-like mammet?"

"It could be some ancient monster..."

Osric shook his head at Aya. "Leanne got a good look at it, 'n' so did I. I trust her eyes, 'n' mine are rarely fooled."

"Would an Allagan monstrosity look any different?”

"Mayhap it would."

"Who is Leanne?" asked Hisa in the most innocent tone imaginable.

He glanced at the Lalafell. "A friend. Apologies, Miss, 'n' thank you for your precious time. We've other business t'see to, 'n' our own time grows short. If you'll pardon us...?"

She nodded to him, even as she stepped forward and held something up for him to take. She laughed a little as he took it from her and looked it over. A smile lit up his face, and he too nodded.

"You have a very interesting story, Red Shirt Man. I'll be sure to pass it along."

“M'thanks. Nald favor you, Thal look elsewhere, 'n' may your Scales always find their Balance, Miss Hisa."

Miss Hisa motioned to dismiss the two, like a proper pompous rich girl was wont to do.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Madame!"

Hisa nodded to Aya even as the part-time waitress bowed her head politely and offered a partial curtsey.

Osric Melkire led Aya Foxheart back out of Arrazeneth Ossuary and onto the streets. His eyes scanned the shadows as they walked. Soon enough, the clouds overhead proved good on their promise, and their walk turned into a jog as they sought out shelter. The overhand they found wasn’t the most private of spaces, but it would have to serve. He had one final word to share with Aya, with regards to this business, and it was important.

The man who’d once been Dirk Problemsolver was fairly certain that, at some point or another during his youth, he’d taken on at least one job -- one mark -- at least one contract that had either been drafted for or else requested by Eamon Eglantine. He’d never been able to prove it, but it seemed far too coincidental that, every so often, he’d hear rumors that the reclusive family had somehow benefited from the mysterious disappearance or the untimely passing of so-and-so, wasn’t it a shame, too bad so sad. So he was familiar, to an extent, with how careful and how shrewd the head of household could be.

If the Eglantines truly were involved, then they needed to be taken off the board before they could make matters any worse than they already had. He had no confidence in his ability to persuade, threaten, bribe, blackmail, or otherwise influence Eamon. It would have to be Edda, his daughter, that they appealed to, and they would have to hold fast to hope that she’d be able to convince her father to change course. Osric showing up on the family’s doorstep himself was sure to cause a scandal… so he’d send Aya, if she was willing.

It turned out that she was.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Verad - 01-16-2017

Slaeglac’s Island

“Hannah, You bastard. You swivin’ bastard of a whoreson.” Everard had rarely seen his captain sweat as much as he was right now, as rivulets of perspiration poured down Slaeglac’s face, collecting in his scars and following clear and simple patterns. The weather couldn’t account for it - it had to be stress. The crowd surrounding the confrontation surely did little to help matters.

“Don’t tell me you weren’t expecting this, Captain.” Hannah Half-Gil flashed a brilliant smile, the gold in her teeth managing to catch sun even on a cloudy day. The Lucky Lord had only made its way into the colony harbor not twelve bells ago, and she had already made her move. “You know I don’t play without an angle.”

“Damned if that ain’t so, Hannah. Wildest gunner I ever had, an’ even this’s a longshot.” Slaeglac paused to wipe his brow, and raised his hand to the sky for a too long of a moment before bringing it back down to the earth. Everard had little faith, despite the hopeful gesture. The captain had only two moves left to him, and neither promised an easy victory.

The crowd gasped. Even Half-Gil looked shocked for a moment. “Thordan? When in the seven hells did you get him in your deck?!”

Slaeglac said nothing, a smug expression on his face as card after card shuffled from red to blue in the captain’s favor. “And what’s the trouble with that? It’s a reliable card! And the rest is your own damn fault for wanting to play with Same.”

Frowning, Hannah threw down her last, a mere chocobo. Fallen Ace ensured she captured Thordan, but it was a poor comfort in the face of the upset. She pushed away the board and shoved a small sack of gil in its place. “Double or nothing?” Her words were almost unheard amongst the cheers of the colonists.

“Ohhh no, Hannah. I know better’n to play more’n one round of anything with you. You can fleece anyone else in the fleet if they haven’t the sense to say no, but that’s it.” Forcing himself to his feet with a grunt, he helped the captain of the Lord up and clapped her on the back as the crowd broke apart to their normal duties. “Glad you made it. After the Dirge ne’er showed I feared the worst.”

“Like I’d pass up this kind’ve bet, Slae. No, we caught wind of a Sister in the ranks on the way back from Garlean waters, had to sail in circles till we found ‘er and tossed her over. An’ a good thing we found you, hey? Guardin’ the place with but two sail an’ some sunken tin-can.”

She sucked on one of her teeth as she glanced out to harbor. Everard silently agreed with the assessment, but did not share Half-Gil’s confidence that her arrival would make all the difference. The Lord made the last of the invited vessels. The Dirge’s continued absence suggested she had declined, as had all of the crew of the Warbull save Balther Wright. And the tragedy of the Maiden’s Wound had come to them over time. Slaeglac had excused himself and drunk himself half-sick that evening.

All told, they had half a squadron amongst themselves for defense against the Maelstrom’s nine and the Foreign Levy’s hordes. The Garleans lent a hand, as they’d promised. The captain seemed satisfied with that - secrecy, distance, and whatever chaos was roiling in Vylbrand as brewed by the Merchant and the Marine seemed to be helping.

In Everard’s view, it couldn’t last. Limsa was chaotic, but if they felt a threat severe enough to threaten their sovereignty, the ships would come together, and that would be the end of it. All the more reason to ensure their resources were sufficiently indispensable by the time the Maelstrom’s troubles settled.

“Sawyer!” The captain’s bark brought him out of his thoughts. “Check on the reapers, would you? I heard some of the crowd grumbling that they’re not moving like they ought. He’s a head for these things, you know, Hannah. Old Syndicate engineer. Fine thing I found him at the right moment, isn’t it?”

“Stands to make us all some good coin, I’ll wager.” Half-Gil grinned. Everard hadn’t noticed how much of her teeth were actually gold until just now. “I’ve some good coin for him myself, if he’s willing.”

“If you’ll excuse me, captains,” said Everard, whose legs could not move quickly enough. “I’ll just be off to check on the farms.” He caught a few traces of conversation.on his way out.

“How’d y’find this place, anyhow? Freestandin’ ceruleum an’ no Syndicate?”

“Aye, well, you remember that island we rousted on our first voyage? One wi’ all them odd sahagin?”

“No, this’s the same? Gods, it’s been years... “

And then it was gone. Everard exhaled in relief, and slowed his pace, taking in the state of the colony. It had grown nicely in the past moon. Any fear the sailors and their families had towards living in homes built from Garlean steel had passed after the first hard rain, and now they went about their business as if nothing was awry. The pirates had grumbled about farming at first, but faced with that or living on shipped supplies, they’d taken to a few crops that seemed to suit the climate: popotoes and other root vegetables, things that grew quick and had a high yield.

Unfortunately, they had to be dug up, and that made matters a little difficult for the modified reapers the Merchant had shipped to them to aid the harvest.

Coming upon the farms, Everard immediately ran forward, arms outstretched. “Stop, stop, stop! Stop now.” The pilot of the reaper at the edge of the farms paused, and its legs halted mid-stride, wobbling slightly before coming to rest. A few farmers lingering at the edge of the fields, still afraid of something that was, to them, little more than a weapon of war, began edging forwards again.

“Let’s see.” Everard glanced under the reaper’s chassis, just between the legs. The modifications had been significant, outlined by the Merchant in instructions provided with the shipment. With the magitek cannon and photon stream removed, the interior had been gutted to allow for a rotating popoto fork and sieve for sorting out dirt. Between that and a removable sack meant for holding the harvested crop, the reaper could, in theory, carve out a row of popotoes in a fraction of the time it could be done by hand.

In theory. In practice, the damned thing was better for threshing wheat and millioncorn with blades in place of the spinning fork. The rotation mechanism had a tendency to scrape underneath the cockpit’s chassis, and the last thing Everard or the pilot wanted was to see a suddenly uncomfortable and traumatized farmer unable to sit again, to say nothing of damage to the reaper itself.

“Everything all right down there, Sawyer?” Everard ignored the call, tapping his finger against the belly of the beast. Some sort of extension mechanism, perhaps, with a smaller fork, and some way of sieving out the dirt attached to the extension . . . yes, that could work.

“Sawyer?”

“It’s fine. Dismount, and finish the row by hand.” He slapped the belly of the reaper. “I’ll pilot it out, and we’ll see about fixing it later.”

The man wasn’t one of the Tumult’s crew, not one that Everard recognized, but he followed the order fairly enough. One concern of his that had been allayed was how to handle command with first two, and now three captains in one colony. But there’d been no problems - people took the tasks that interested them, or that they were at least skilled enough to handle, and disputes got handled with arguments, compromises, and the occasional brawl. It was no real system of governance, he thought as he climbed into the pilot’s seat,  but as small as the island was, did it need to be?

“First mate! A moment, if you please!” A few seconds of reacquainting himself with the controls of the reaper, and Everard found himself distracted by a pair of figures approaching from further afield. They weren’t hard to recognize - there weren’t but a few elezen among the crew, and even fewer of those were duskwights. Slaeglac had picked them up as unrated seamen six moons ago. They were nowhere near able, but did their work well enough as long as they were kept as a pair.

A quick turn of the reaper’s key and the thrum of its engine died to better hear them as they drew near. “Help the two of you? No problems clearing out the western field?”

The woman of the pair only glared - Everard had never seen eyes that could kill the way hers did - but the man squeezed her shoulder companionably, and she glanced away. “No trouble ‘tall, Mister Sawyer. Only she and I were wondering - when’s the next supply boat?”

“Captain has the knowing of that better than I, sir. You want something from it, best submit it to him.”

The man shook his head. “Oh, nothing like that, Mister Sawyer. Only we’ve a mind to be on the next one when it leaves.”

Everard’s eyes narrowed. “You’re not thinking of turning tail, are you?” The captain had been clear anyone unhappy was free to leave on the supply runs, no questions asked, so confident was he in their security, but none had yet taken him up on the offer. It made sense that no true sailors would be the first.

The woman’s eyes narrowed, and her lip took on something of a sneer. “Easy, pet, easy,” said her companion. “He means no harm. No, Mister Sawyer, only - there’s a woman, from that crew the Captain let pass.a moon back. We’ve a mind to speak with her, see if she’ll see some sense.”

Sawyer grumbled to himself as he turned on the reaper again, taking some comfort in the rumble of its engine. “Let me get this out of the field, Guerrique. Then we’ll have a word with the captain.”

Prison Hulk Cobalt, Limsa Lominsa

Dominic Morris was thankful for one thing, at least, since his life had been saved after the wreck of the Wound: The Maelstrom had placed him in a hulk at sea rather than one on land. With its masts broken off and its rudder stripped, the Cobalt was no true vessel, yet it still swayed in the water with the movement of the tides. Even that was only a very slight thing, but it was enough to help him sleep.

Nothing else about the vessel was a comfort, but that was to be expected. Once he had enlisted on a trading ship hired out to a Monetarist very concerned with efficiency and profit margins, slashing costs on the vessel to squeeze out every last gil. The bunks had been tightly packed and the rations meager, and the captain had worried about every last missing grain from cargo as if rats did not exist. It had been a miserable cycle, and yet it paled in comparison to his present circumstances.

He found himself wedged between two roegadyn convicted of peddling somnus with nary an inch above or below. Half a biscuit in the morning, and half again at night. Once a sennight he received part of an aurochs cheek for meat. Some of the prisoners chose to ration it until it spoiled; he made a point of consuming his straightaway. The less said of the water, the better, especially given the lack of good spirits to cut it.

And the waiting, the waiting. On a proper ship, at least one busied oneself with the necessary tasks of staying alive. Leaks needed to be sealed, water pumped, sails and rigging maintained. There was work, and there was comfort in that. Here, it was nothing but waiting and wasting away.

But at least there was the swaying of the water. That, and the sense that the waiting would be over soon. Morris closed his eyes and tried to focus on the movement until he could focus on nothing.

“And that’ll be the last. I hear one more word from ‘er . . . “

“He can’t . . . gone too far . . . “

“Another step, and it’s gone . . . “

“She won’t fall alone. Not for this, she won’t . . . “

“Are we agreed?”

“Rise and shine, you jolly wards of the state you!” It was customary to wake the prisoners by smashing a metal rod against a broken bell until they awoke. There was no particular reason for the custom, save that it annoyed the shite out of the prisoners. There was little cause to keep them awake, save for its own sake entirely, but wake them they did. “Rise up, rise up, and greet Azeyma for the day!”

Morris groaned and cursed as he rose from slumber. His hands went to his beard, as if he could track its growth by the day. He could feel little change in the way of length, although there was surely a new infestation of vilekin every day. He had since gone numb to the itching.

“Line up, line up, and get your victuals!” Morris struggled at the call for mealtime to work out of his bunk. His upper and lower neighbors had the advantage by dint of position and bulk, and the act was a struggle until the last of them were free and clear of their hammocks. He had his knees out of the sackcloth and his feet near the ground when a stout club pressed against his chest and forced him back.

“Not you, Morris.” His guard leered. Morris had hoped that there would be something to distinguish them apart, that this would matter in some way. One would talk about his wife and one would wax philosophical about the Twelve, something to make them stand apart from the harsh blows and the cruel shouts. He had not been disappointed in this regard, but he had been to learn this didn’t matter in the face of the circumstances. “You’re breaking fast at the Mizzenmast.”

He coughed as he recoiled from even that light blow; the hulk had done poorly for his constitution. “B-beg pardon, sir?”

“Aye, Morris. The time has come. Transferring for the martial. All are in place. Even hear Haelstyrmm will be presiding. Came all the way from the Sea of Jade to see you! Now that’ll be a hanging worth the wait.”

The leer with a guard attached widened, hoping for a reaction. Morris had none to give, and the guard resurfaced, cleared his throat. “Now’n, the Admiralty wants this done proper, so I am to inform y’ you may request members of the Levy and learned folks for your legal advisement an’ defense. But you’ll be declining that, won’t you?”

It would be easier, certainly. His confession still held true, whatever else the Maelstrom’d learned on the wreck of the Wound after all the delays. The trial was little more than a formality, something to show the Admiralty had a tight hold on the law of the land.

“Actually,” he said, his voice a rasp after a month without real speech. “I have a few names to submit. Descriptions.” He’d hang. He was sure of that. But he’d show them how little a grip they truly had.

The Immersabilis, Sea of Jade, 1576 Yalms Depth

“Prepare to dock.”

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - LystAP - 01-20-2017

Limsa Lominsa - The Night Before

The night before the trial. The city was silent, unnerving, like a graveyard after a burial. The festering underbelly of Limsa’s shadows flicked around the darkness, like carrion vilekin skittering and feasting in the damp recesses of a long derelict hull. Tomorrow, a man will be tried under a crimson banner; vicious untamed wolves feasting under the sham of a trial. Chakha was familiar with the like, guilty or innocent, it didn’t matter to these savages. The outcome of the trial was clear, any master of shadows can taste the tension in the air. 

She walked the streets shrouded by shadow, among silent whispers and drunken shouting of the filth that skittered through the rotting decks. Her horn shudder and she briefly looked up at the towers of the city-scape, it was only for a moment, but she continued on, uninterested in the petty crimes of the city, such as vandalism. Although, it reminds her of a time a centurion caught a Ala Mhigan Resistance member openly writing badly phrased graffiti in old Garlean. It is said the imperial centurion forced the insurgent to rewrite the graffiti in proper Garlean grammar from dusk to dawn. 

She passed a group of housewives walking home with a escort from the Sanguine Sirens, they were in discussion about what clothes they should wear for the inevitable hanging of Morris. It appears be a family event, alike the spectacles of Noxis in the Coliseum. She preferred the Order of Nald’thal’s executions, often a simple toss off Highbridge for the condemned. She moved towards the Aftcastle and noted a few individuals encamped at the area, willing to spend the night to save a place in the crowd overhearing the trial. 

She cased the area, noting potential hiding places she spotted from her earlier reconnoissance of Limsa. Chakha smiled under her cloak and her right hand grasped a handle. A newly constructed pistol, single-shot, but very alike the pistols utilized by the pirate scum of this nation. She learned an ideal use from that riot a few suns ago, a match for the tinder calling for blood to mend a wound. Her smile twisted further as she recalled her daggers slipping into the back of Zanzan, the Despised One. Mayhap he’ll appear, and she would have the opportune to finish her work. 

She has changed, since meeting with Emee. Was she trying to save her sister? Was she ridding the world of a evil voidsent? Mayhap. Or mayhap it wouldn’t matter at all. Her colors were twisted into a void that demands affirmation, a wound that needed to be mended. She giggled softly as she backed up against a railing near the Aftcastle, leaning back and dive into the ocean, a soft splash unheard by the twisting tension that may only be sated by blood.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Melkire - 01-20-2017

The gales came and went. The view wasn't particularly spectacular: there were glimpses of La Noscea to be had here and there on the fringes, and Limsa itself could be seen down below if he'd but draw close enough to the edge, but otherwise all that could be seen from this vantage was ocean.

Think. Think!

He sat towards the back of the relatively small recess in the marble tower, a small rucksack of spare clothes at his side. Not for fear of heights was he this far back, mind, though his shelter was hundreds of fulms up from sea level... but out of respect for the cold. He sat huddled in the grey rags that passed for his cloak, the very same rags that had served to conceal him as he scaled Limsa's beauty. Seven summers... a little more than that, aye, that's when he'd last resorted to this alcove. He'd witnessed the Calamity from this hollow.

Liadan Summerfield... Tiergan 'n' Lurial Vashir... Gallien Vyese... 'n' W'chaza Yheli... damn you to the seventh hell for gettin' me dragged further down into the ruttin' Deep, Tengri.

He shouldn't have cared. It shouldn't have mattered that a man was going to hang. He'd gotten Thomys out, had pulled his own brother from the fire. He should've been long gone. What he was considering wasn't worth the risk. He had two daughters that were depending on him, and Kanaria... it'd break her heart if he were to never return.

But Morris--

"Don't want to die."

"Did they?"

--Dominic swived-by-the-Twelve Morris was another man in the wrong place at the wrong time, by all accounts. Osric himself had once been in a similar position, although his had been of his own making. He'd been shown Mercy. Here, an opportunity to pay that debt forward... and now came Nald 'n' Thal for their due.

He wasn't sure if they had the evidence and the arguments to clear the man. He was certain that they didn't have the time to collect and gather more, especially not after he'd wasted the better part of two nights vandalizing the white towers of Limsa to get the locals asking questions and to get the old deckhands asking them of the Upright Thieves. He might've... been a little more patriotic and a little too... loose... with the insults and slurs that had survived long into the morning bells, but that didn't matter now. What mattered was enough political maneuvering to spare Morris and Striker the gallows, to spare themselves the ire of all of Limsa, and to spare his own gods-cursed self the Justice that he'd eluded for the better part of a decade.

It could be said that he had a talent for that sort of thing.

THINK, DAMN YOU!

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Aya - 01-21-2017

Simple Plotting

Aya stood on the balcony overlooking the lantern-lit quay below.  The longshoremen went about their business around the clock.  If a ship needed loading, or unloading, it wouldn't wait for a better time.

This was C'kayah's apartment.  Standing empty and idle, it served as an easy and comfortable perch for her forays into the life of Limsa Lominsa: the city of white stone.  There was an irony in this that only C'kayah and Osric would fully appreciate.

Between her teeth she clenched a long, slender pipe stem, stained with lipstick marks.  Feminine fingers grasped the bowl, smoldering and fragrant, well away from her face.   She hadn't slept.  The bag of finest pipe tobacco had been nearly emptied by the night of contemplation.  A wispy string of gray-smoke rose lazily toward the heavens in the calm morning air, catching the first ray of rising sun.

It was only the most strenuous moments that brought forth the vice, but none could deny that this evening had struck just such a desperate chord. 

"Where is a Dirk Problemsolver when you really need one...?"

Osric was in jail.  Brash.  Foolish. What had he been thinking?

She turned the basics over in her mind once more:
  • Morris, accused mutineer.  Had acted to resist the Garlean threat.
  • Osric Melkire, a.k.a. Dirk Problemsolver, publicly defended him and is now paying the price.
  • Both, arrested, standing trial: punishment to be hanged until dead.
  • The city quaked, divided on the matter of Morris.  Half wished him dead, the other were not so sure.
  • Elements of the 8th and 9th Squadrons were already preparing for a joint strike against the island, center of the Garlean foray and its pirate allies.
The politics:
  • The Admiralty was unconcerned with justice, or innocence.  Only the well-being of the Maelstrom, and Limsa Lominsa would weigh upon their hearts.  The members would act in accordance with their duty toward their charge: no different than if it were a ship, or a fleet.
  • But the Captains are prideful men and women.  Nothing could sting them more than the threat of humiliation.  One weakness.  One crack into which a lever-arm could be thrust with enough precision.

"Where is a Dirk Problemsolver when you really need one..." she wondered aloud in her light voice, the tone of rich Ishgardian accent playing upon every soft, sighing note.

If such a man were to make a grandiose appearance, it could complicate matters for the Admiralty  who thought they had the elusive fellow in their cells...

But what of Morris.  She sighed.  The fate of Morris had not meant much to her - but it clearly meant something more to Osric and their collective friends.  Perhaps, she wondered, Limsa Lominsa could not withstand the Garlean incursion if it began by extinguishing those who took first blood on their behalf.  But that was all too romantic a notion - still, when they cared, she could not help but care as well.

The mob was angry--furious.  She knew such energy was not, quite, directionless, but that it could be channeled more easily than it could be diffused.  It was not inconceivable that anger toward the mutineer could be redirected into anger at the Admiralty.  An Admiralty that pulled the wool over the eyes of the people of Limsa Lominsa.  That obscured the Garlean threat, in a poorly-conceived bid to maintain order in the city.  An admiralty that played loyal Officers as pawns, and loyal citizens as dupes to be fooled.  It had the added benefit of being true - Haelstyrmm having readily confirmed it during the proceedings.

She shifted the pipe, nearly chewing on the mouthpiece as the familiar taste hung upon her lips.

What Morris could use--what this city could use, is a demagogue. 

"Where is a Dirk Problemsolver when you really need one...?"

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Verad - 01-23-2017

Items of Interest in the Harbor Herald

The Battle of the Gilded Ship

One of the top stories of international interest not currently related to the buildup of forces along Baelsar’s Wall is what is becoming known as “The Battle of the Gilded Ship,” in which a crowd gathered at the Aftcastle to hear the verdict in the Dominic Morris trial devolved into first a riot, and then an international incident in which security forces aligned with the Immortal Flames attacked Limsan citizens, and a ship registered to Ul’dah’s Golden Fleet fired shots at the city itself.

The most likely cause of the initial riot, according to the article, comes from agitation at the hands of the Hellfist Foundation, a group pushing for improved rights for privateers in honor of their titular leader, the deceased pirate Jenny Hellfist. This agitation led to the blaming of Hellfist’s death on Ul’dahn merchants. Limsan citizens began accosting the merchants, only to be set upon by members of Ul’dahn security teams before the Yellowjackets could intervene. Fighting was eventually quelled by the arrival of multiple Maelstrom crews following the trial’s conclusion.

Further investigation found no damage to the city following the ship’s cannonade, which is now believed to have been nothing but smoke and powder meant to intimidate the crowd. Both the ship and the security teams have been traced to East Aldenard Distribution, Inc.,  a subsidiary consortium of the East Aldenard Trading Company.

Commentary from captains and representatives of the Maelstrom cannot be printed because of the extremely liberal amount of uncouth language. A spokesman from the East Aldenard Trading Company has expressed regret for the actions, attributing them to “Independent and misguided action by low-level executives of the subsidiary.” Both the ship and its command have been recalled to Ul’dah, where Hihijewa Cacajewa, head of the subsidiary, is expected to face severe punishment. “There is no excuse for nepotism in the effective management of a business,” claimed the spokesperson.

The Syndicate is expected to provide compensatory funds for damages to the Aftcastle and injuries to the crowd, both Ul’dahn and Limsan alike. The general assessment is that this gesture has gone a long way towards smoothing over what could have been a souring of relations between two members of the Alliance at the worst possible time.

Morris Imprisoned

The court martial of Dominic Morris has concluded after two days of deliberation between a five-man board of Maelstrom captains and Morris’ legal counsel, headed by Lieutenant W’Chaza Yheli of the Maelstrom. Ironically, the fate of the accused, which had captured the interest of Limsan citizens, is given only minor attention in the current issue of the Herald, which is now focused on Baelsar’s Wall and the Battle of the Gilded Ship.

The court reports that Morris has been found guilty of participating in violent mutiny on the open ocean - a serious crime because of the risk it poses to ship, crew, and cargo - but was determined not to have been one of the original conspirators. This has significantly lessened his sentence, and he is expected to receive one hundred lashes in a public ceremony at the Aftcastle, followed by imprisonment in Limsa’s prison hulks. A formal date for the flogging has not been set.

Asked for comment, Captain Holskstymm Faezsyngson of the 3rd Squadron replied “I am happy we found an appropriate sentence for the accused in light of the circumstances on board the Wound while still respecting the laws of Limsa Lominsa.” Defense counselwoman Yheli agreed, adding “I hope this suffices for the people of our fair Vylbrand. With the trial settled, we may focus on greater goals for our peoples and ensure both our freedoms and improving the economy for Limsans of all backgrounds.” 

The presiding judge, Commodore Haelstyrmm Eynarhmsson of the 9th Squadron, declined to comment.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Anstarra - 01-23-2017

Dear diary,

Anstarra immediately tore the page from the journal, crumpling it up and tossing it aside. So trite! As if a journal had anything useful to say. You wrote journal entries to yourself, after all, in order to review later, and understand your thoughts.

She dipped the pen in the inkwell, and started again.

Dear Anstarra,

"Ugh!" Rip, tear, crumple, toss. That was even worse, talk about self-indulgent. Not a trait she wanted to admit to herself, certainly not in any long-term capacity like this. Dipping the pen again, stirring it, she let it drip as she frowned at the sheet. Then looked around the room. At her semi-luxurious quarters, inside her own ship. The rewards of effort, of station, of... fortune. Luck.

A new frown (she was frowning more lately... no, don't frown about that, too!) as she considered this train of thought. Questions of whether she deserved her post, her rank, had rarely crossed her mind. Life was too haphazard, too filled with terrible highs and lows... she remembered well the day she had been offered Captaincy, and a ship. So soon after the terrible battle in the sky, the laying low of Ratatoskr's Summoned countenance... it had the air of reward, and that reward was, of all things, consistency. For being a Captain was something that had always seemed, to her, to be a desk job, removed from the mad whirl of happenstance.

Fingers drummed. Here, then, was her desk... yes, it was nailed to a ship, and hardly a mundane ship, and that ship plied the waters of the inner sea. She had not yet requested a privateer's commission, though some of her men had hinted at it. She understood them. The Iron Bitch was a fine ship, and surely would do well against Garlemald's own. And yet... yet here was the consistency she had craved. The mundane roll of patrols. The necessities of logistics. Reports, charts... logs.

Captain's Log. First Entry.

I have long considered myself a true child of the Alliance. Adopted to Gridania and living in Ul'dah, trained in Ishgard and serving Limsa Lominsa. Any who know me, however, will understand where my heart truly lies, and that is where I give my personal allegiance, to the city above the sea whose call of freedom embraced by loyalty was the one I heeded and have not been given cause to regret. Limsa Lominsa is my home, as much as any place can be.

In becoming a Captain in the Maelstrom's fleet, I have come to understand greater depths of what makes up this great nation, and found

She stopped, staring at the paper. What was she writing? What was she going to write, just now? Flashes, through her mind, of the courtroom. Of the dusty light, of the stoic, formal clothes and uniforms. Of the coldness and practicality with which had been weighed and measured the fate of a man.

Just a man. How many had she killed, in the past? Why did it matter so much? But she knew the answer. It mattered because of how it was done, it mattered because of the formality, the deliberation

"One hundred lashes, and three years' imprisonment."

the finality with which a gavel was dropped. Was this her world now? Could she do... that? She closed her eyes, and envisioned herself, sitting up there in Haelstyrmm's place, casting judgment. Based on whims, based on fine argument, on bits of evidence... or lack thereof.

And shivered, because it was easy.

and found

She stared at the half-completed journal page, feeling... sick. Troubled. Confused and.. afraid. What if this log was found? Read? Things she wrote could be used against her. She could end up where Dominic Morris had sat, just as easily. Accused. Tried. Condemned. Truth manipulated or presented in convenient lens... was this the Limsa she knew? The city she loved? The place of harsh but fair justice, and liberty?

Yet... what would protest avail her? Branded an enemy. A traitor. So obvious now, how quickly it could happen. Never mind that agents had stirred them to this... you could not exploit flaws that were not there. And more, she had others, beyond herself to worry about. Nihka, Sehki. Her crew, two hundred and fifty brave and loyal souls. She could not fail any of them, could not give reason for doubt. It would be irresponsible... disloyal, even.

She should only write fine things. Brave things. Inspiring things.

and found

Ink dripped from the tip of the pen, marring the page.

What did a journal matter, anyroad?

Just write. Something.

and found

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Melkire - 01-23-2017

“NO! NO, DON’T YOU RUTTIN’ DARE, DON’T YOU-- GET THE SWIVIN’ HELLS--”

He twisted his grip. A bone snapped with an audible crack. Someone screamed in pain, even as the bellowing all about him rose in volume to match his.

“Keep ‘im still!” “Hold him down, hold the bloody fool--” “Navigator’s Breath!” “--m’arm, sir, he broke--!” “Marauders to the fore!”

Some blasted coeurl placed the barrel of a pistol beneath his chin. He wasn’t having any of that. He planted a foot on that someone’s chest and pushed.

“--OFF ME!”

The unfortunate Seeker went flying into two of his fellows; they collapsed onto the stones, even as the Miqo'te struck the far wall of the cell. The room was well lit, despite the late bell and Menphina’s soft glow… despite the utter lack of a torch. Chakras… his aether… like a beacon. If he could just… he heaved with his right arm, and another three or four links in the chain snapped--

Something tugged at his center, as if someone had reached into his chest and pulled at the very heart of him. What followed was an all-too-familiar sensation, and his eyes widened as he felt it happen, felt his aether leaving him… just as what looked like a half-dozen Sea Wolves surrounded him and bore him down to the floor of his cell. To his knees he dropped and, though he struggled to look up with what strength was left to him, the steel vise of a hand clamped down on his head and kept him from staring anywhere but at the stones. The pain was staggering, and it drove any thought of protest from him; his jaws seized up….

“Please,” he heard, if you’ll just allow us to sedate him--”

“No,” answered a booming voice, as if it had risen from the Deep itself. “I’m wantin’ him-- ahem. Pardon. I want him awake for this. A man should know what his folly has cost him.”

The distinct sound of someone leafing through several pages. The clearing of a throat. The kindling cadence of words enchanted, incantation or evocation. The press of a hand between his shoulder blades.

Cold. Wet. Vile. Something wormed its way into him, found the hollow cavity within him and spread, reaching out through his limbs and up through his neck. Everywhere it went, he felt violated, even as those portions of his flesh and bone grew numb with the cold. The… thing... the intrusion… it sank its fangs and claws in, drank of his blood and his marrow, and what it took of his strength it then used to lay down roots. It settled. Took hold of him. Over him.

Bile rose in his throat, and his stomach fell away as reality set in. There had been no mistaking the bastard’s words.

”Give him the Spot.”

Footsteps squelched, and he found himself staring down at a pair of enormous boots. The pressure on his head vanished, even as the massive Roegadyn before him dropped to his haunches and seized Osric by the throat. A twist of the Wolf’s wrist brought the Lominsan’s chin up, and his eyes met those of a true jackal.

“How did you put it, Problemsolver? Your exact words… ahhhhh, yes, I remember now…..”

Commodore Haelstyrmm Eynarhmsson favored him with a smug little smile, but the glint in the officer’s eyes promised endless oceans of suffering.

“...'even if I were to never return'.”

Osric Melkire’s jaws slackened, his voice came back to him, and he screamed his anguish.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Leggerless - 01-24-2017

------- One day later, elsewhere... (( After this post )) -------

At the base of the Waterspire, leaning up against the stone wall with both arms crossed and resting on the cold, limestone top, Yheli stared out into the Strait of Merlthor. Stars a plenty lit up the clear, night sky, coupled with the lights of buildings and lamps nearby shedding light to areas the moon's light could not touch.

Her nose also picked up the faint, salty smell of the seas in additional to what smelled like a late-night barbecue session at a neighbour's house. The smell of food distracted her, as she couldn't help but wonder at the ingredients present. Buffalo meat... garlic... onions... a hint of black pepper... and more salt. Perhaps a side of tomato sauce to dip the grilled meat in later?

Spectacled, silver eyes calmly scanned the waters around the beach as her mind went away from the food. There was something about the waves she saw that calmed her; the push and pull of water hitting against the docks, cliffs, and sands continuously, with no end in sight. Due to the high tide, most beachgoers were on the raised platform around the Seagaze Markets rather than the sand themselves. She saw the occasional couple, the lone merchant, and shaded individual in her gaze, but paid them no attention, as she had her own demons to tackle.

Lieutenant W'Chaza Yheli. The head of the defense counsel whom reduced Morris' sentence to a mere 100 floggings and three years imprisonment with the help of a rag tag team of individuals. Two of them were requested by the accused, along with Yheli; Tiergan and Liadan. The three brought along Leanne and Gallien, as well as a hunter whose stench received reprimand from the Board.

Most she met in passing or in more pleasant situations, but the hunter... she didn't know. An unknown variable in her machinations for solving the case at hand. She kept her wits about him, but she soon realized his strategic and tactical potential as it was by his hand they survived the first day and managed their victory in the next.

The hunter? Dirk Problemsolver... or, perhaps as she would call him. Osric Melkire.

Former Sergeant of the Flames. Murderer-for-hire. A man of the people.

There were many phrases fit for a man of his deeds and reputation across all of Eorzea. However, Yheli didn't fixate on his criminal past or what he did that was wrong. What mattered most, in her mind, was his assistance to her cause. In her mind, Yheli could only describe him simply as...

A friend.

Not just any ordinary friend, either. No... he was a most useful friend, even in Yheli's calm, silver eyes. His acumen was admirable, his disguise was impeccable, and his courage was commendable.

When he took off the mask, proclaimed a threat greater than Morris to all present, and brought the Board to its knees--if only for a moment--it was then Yheli knew that Osric was a man able to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Here was a wanted criminal, throwing away his self-preservation--for reasons likely unknown to the woman--and... she chuckled. This was the card up his sleeve. A riskier and bolder plan than any... were it not for the fact he was sent away to prison right afterwards.

She lowered her head and gazed downwards at the stone railing, letting out a heavy sigh. Of course, the woman knew most of Limsa's laws, however unrefined they were, and she could've prevented his removal.

Saying a separate case is required. Saying he was part of the defense counsel whom held critical evidence pertinent to the case. Saying he was allowed to stay for the duration of the trial due to prior agreement by all present. Anything.

And yet, the words couldn't come out of her mouth. She stood, ready to object, and yet Haelstyrmm stood above the rest and even her; his willpower holding sway and presenting a difficult and life-threatening choice. To defend Melkire and herself taken to prison as well... or to sacrifice him so she may fight another day?

She closed her eyes and clenched her right fist as she leaned her body up on the railing, controlling her breathing. Despite her feelings, she kept herself composed, deeply exhaling, relaxing her fingers, then looking back out to the sea with a sad smile strew across her face.

"Of course... the moment I start blaming myself for someone's death is the moment I cannot come back from it all."

An odd chuckle sneaked past her voice, and her face went plain once more, thinking about the trial. In the end, she and her fellow associates won over the majority of the board and prevented a hanging. She won, afterall. A victory indeed, but not one without sacrifice.

Her lips contorted, trying to make sense of what all of it meant, especially combining the fact an Ul'dahni ship openly fired inside of Limsan territory at Limsan citizens. Before her mind drifted, she collected herself and stayed focused on the matter of the man at hand.

She gazed out into the sea, mulling over what could and would happen next, as if planning out her moves several steps ahead of whatever adversaries lurked behind the scenes. A few minutes later, she heard a 'plunk' of a letter to the right of her. Her head turned right, glanced about the area, yet found no person who stood out as the messenger.

"...Strange." Yheli couldn't say much more than that, given the circumstances. She waited a few more moments before picking up the letter and examining it more closely. "...Wax seal. 3rd Squadron. Merlthor." It took her a few moments to put together the pieces in her head. It made sense for the 3rd Squadron to be near the Mists, as it bordered the Strait, but Yheli belonged to the 1st Squadron; letters like this don't--

"Captain Holskstymm? It can't be..." She hurriedly slashed open the letter with a knife stashed on her boot and unfurled the paper within, scanning it and absorbing all information present. "Dirk Problemserver deported... sentence reduced... information stays confidential... don't let him set foot in Vylbrand again?" She raised an eyebrow at the last part; that didn't sound like a polite exile but rather a warning in her mind.

"Well. Shite." Yheli blinked, glanced around the area, then use a small lighter device to ignite the paper she read, setting it down on the ground until it fully burnt out, then stomped it down, and let the indistinguishable bits take flight in the wind. She turned her body around, crossed her arms again, and looked up towards the night sky deep in thought. Yheli held this pose for more than a few minutes, before she looked towards the fountain of the Waterspire with a face full of determination.

"No better time to pay back his favor and advice to me than now then!" She pushed her body up and off the railing and turned herself 60 degrees to her left, putting her hands on her hips and and giving one more glance at the shoreline behind her. She lets out a sigh, followed by a small smirk.

"Been a while since I disobeyed orders, sers. Yheli, out." She gave a half-baked salute off into the night sky, grabbed her blade, and went back to her own apartment, preparing herself for the conflicts to come.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Leanne - 01-24-2017

Gulp, gulp, gulp.

Within the Drowning Wench, on the top of an old, battered wood surface, an half-empty mug of rum were to be found.

"Is this the price we had to pay to save a man's life?"

The redhaired seeker groaned deeply, her hand clutching onto the handle of the mug with a death grip. She never tried to disguise the anger she was left with by the revelations and events that happened in the two grueling long days of trial now past her. Everyone, against all odds imposed, saved Dominic Morris. They managed to bring him into the gentle hands of mercy, away from the claws of damnation. Yet, the success that should've left her in such elated state had such a bitter taste to it she could hardly think of anything else. It simply didn't sit right with her. The actual farce that was the trial. Almost sentencing a man to death, in an attempt to pacify a crowd of bloodthirsty folks and blind their eyes to the true threat looming by. A trial led by a sadistic man with no empathy for anyone except himself and others of his ilk. The sacrifice made by Osric in a bid to humble the panel of judges.

"My fault...my stupid fault." she shook her head. "Make an example for your brother, I said. Walk the right path. Be a good man." she grunted. "And that was his reward."

She growls in anger, finally releasing the mug to recline into the wood chair she had herself on top of. Crossing her arms, her irritated expression only mellowed into sorrow.

"I didn't want to. He had to pay his debts. But in another way. Not like this." she draws a breath, her relucent golden eyes boring into the table in front of her. Osric's last words echoed in her mind, and refused to leave her.

"Tell Thom I'm paying my dues."

She pursed her lips. Raising herself, she left the bar at a briskly pace, only left a salvo of coins on the table, alongside the unfinished drink.

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - Verad - 01-26-2017

Firmitas Launch Deck, Sea of Jade

Yga Cen Thunderfell was a hugger in better circumstances. While normally the picture of a Garlean citizen's restraint and discipline, as befit a member of the Upper Citizenry, twenty years of camraderie between she and Ulf, from the streets of Ala Mhigo through its restructuring into a proper Imperial holding, meant things were a little less formal between the two of them. It occasionally meant a hug, especially when the Pilus had been away from the province in training to become an officer of the Legions. Ulf endured all of this when it happened in front of his security team with outward embarrassment and a hidden sense of relief that things between them were as they always were, siblings of circumstance until the bitter end.

His expectation of a repeat performance was why the punch caught him entirely off-guard and sent him sprawling across the deck of the Firmitas. Yga was no trained soldier, but a child on the streets after the revolution became an untrained scrapper very quickly. Between that and the fulm's height she had on Ulf, he had a sense, once he was able reacquaint himself with the positions of the sky above him and the deck beneath him, that this was going to leave a mark. Better to leave the helmet on for future speeches.

"You utter bastard!" she spat, taking another step forward. She had hardly stepped off of the gunship before laying him out, and her hair, short and already prone to tousling, was made worse in the blow-back from the vessel's engines. She raised her fist, and Ulf had to raise his in kind - not to stay her, but to keep his guards from drawing their blades.

"Those orders weren't mine," he said, forcing himself onto one knee, then his feet, trying to mitigate the ringing in his skull. "The Architectus insisted - "

"But you gave them!" She set her jaw and clenched her fists. "The Shadows were only supposed to observe the markets and track what I told them. Instead you had them starting riots, and now one's in Maelstrom custody for his trouble. And people got hurt, Ulf!"

"Pilus Hartsblood," he said, glancing over his shoulder to his guards. Familiarity could inspire the troops, but too much could undermine authority.

"Fine, Pilus," she amended. "People got hurt, and there very well could have been deaths. If Toyomo hadn't tied the shooting to the mutiny of the Wound the items could have wound up on the Admiralty's list of proscribed goods, and then where would the plan be? All because Gravis - sorry, the Architectus," she added with a sneer, "Couldn't be bothered to fit whatever he's doing in the deep into the patrol schedule!"

"All right. All right." Ulf held out his hands to stay her. "I understand. We're due to meet with the Immersabilis for maintenance today. You can have it out with him then. We'll speak of this away from the gunship after your report."

Her fists remained clenched, and for a moment Ulf tensed up, fearing another strike. "All right. Fine. I'll talk to him." Her anger didn't exactly dissipate, but she seemed to have spent enough of it trying to break Ulf's jaw that she could relax enough to regard him with a tilted head. "Not too hard? You're fine?"

"I'm fine. We'll take your report in the staff ro - "

Ulf abruptly found himself crushed near to death in a tight embrace, and silently wished she'd taken another shot at him instead. He patted her back all the same. 

While Yga had provided cursory reports of her activities throughout her trading enterprises within Limsa, this was the first time she'd had the opportunity to file something in detail. Any lengthy reports within Vylbrand itself were subject to interception, and so details had been kept vague until a face-to-face was possible.

Once her anger had finally settled, Ulf took her word on most matters in the state - he had no choice but to do so, given the lack of contact otherwise. He also took her gifts, and regarded the biscuit she'd given him with suspicion. People told stories about Eorzean food. Too much aether in their meals, and something that was a "beast tribe specialty" as she put it could only be suspect. It could poison a person. She insisted it was fine, but it lay untouched on the staff room's central table.

"Sorry," she said, noting his suspicion with a dismayed frown. "I would have found something a little more interesting - even safer, for your sake - but once it was clear it wasn't Toyomo on the communicator I booked the first ferry out of the city."

"It's fine. Truly." He picked up the biscuit and took a tentative bite. When his death failed to immediately appear, he took another. "So, you think they're receptive?"

"I know they're receptive, Ulf. They were mobbing their marketplaces for this stuff. The Miniature Wave Oven in particular, but everything sold well. They want magitek. Not just their sellswords, but the common man. And not just that - they want the order we can offer."

He raised his eyebrows, which was an uncomfortable act. Since becoming an officer, he had stopped shaving them to fit in, and it was strange having hair just above his eyes at all times. "Order? That's a bold claim. Reports from Ishgard suggest they want less of it."

"I'm not speaking about Ishgard, Ulf, or Ul'dah, or Gridania. Just Limsa Lominsa. They want order. When that mutiny happened, may Conner rest with the Emperor, people were demanding it, howling for it. And most of the time their city obliges!"

Ulf's eyebrows raised higher. "Limsa Lominsa. Obliging them."

"Yes."

"The beating heart of the privateer army."

"Yes."

"Scourge of the Garlean merchant-marine and all seafaring trade."

"Yes. I know what it looks like on the outside, but the old die-hards, the old privateers are fading away. Hells, there may well be a third of them with Slaeglac on the island! Their Admiral banned piracy, and people grumbled, but she acted rightly - people are getting used to it. I think it's a matter of years before they fold the privateers into their own fleet, especially if they can't control them easily. And then the city is practically asking to be a province of ours."

"That doesn't guarantee much," said Ulf once he had finished his biscuit, dusting a stray crumb or two from his gloves. "It might just mean more trouble for Garlemald."

"That's where we come in." Yga had a hard time sitting still when going over her plans, and rose to pace the office. "They have the order, but they don't yet have the benefits of it. Their magitek industries are fragmented. Von Garlond's Ironworks and the Manufactory can't keep up with demand, and the sellswords tend to keep what they make for their own use. None of it is centralized, and there is no standardization. Magitek designs very based on who made it and who's selling it. It's all craftsmanship - which, well," she pointed to herself. "I can appreciate that, but it's hard on their smallfolk. We can offer them standardized products that greatly improve their lives at a scale beyond what any of the city-states or sellswords can offer."

"And when we get them used to their presence, we can take them away," he remarked. Yga beamed at him as if he were a slow pupil getting a rare difficult answer right on the first try.

"Right. I've already been talking to our suppliers on this side of the Wall about effecting that. And then I heard something about some nonsense with a warship - tensions between the city and Ul'dah - that should help considerably. Make them miss what they've lost. They'll demand the Admiralty ease tensions on their own, and the Alliance be damned."

Ulf ran his hand across his chin, frowning. It flew in the face of Garlean doctrine. Then again, many things in this expedition did so. A vessel that sailed below the waves when the average Architectus had his eyes fixed to the sky. A plan to buy their way into Eorzean dominion after years of failed conquests. A disdain for the superweapon in favor of the soldier, and pirates selling their freedom because, as their leader had once remarked to Ulf, he'd never felt more like a slave than when he was utterly free.

"Can you implement this? Even after being compromised?" Taking her seat again, Yga drummed out a mindless marching rhythm on the table with her fingers. Even sitting, she was never truly still.

"I think so. I'll need you to take me to the island, though."

"They might object to the Firmitas sailing into their harbor," he scoffed.

"If we can rendezvous with one of the supply ships, that's fine. Or we can take one of the gunships if you can spare one. But I need to work with them directly. Shouldn't change your orders, Ulf - keep your ship at the defensive line, whatever that is, and let the Architectus tinker with his whale-ship."

"Pilus Hartsblood!" The voice was tinny, screeching, and coming through his communication device. Ulf recognized Virgil's voice, distorted through the walls of the whale-ship, but only just. He held out a hand for Yga to wait a moment as he received the call.

"Sir?"

"We are proceeding to dock. Meet me at the staging point while we change crews. There's something you should see."

Despite his rank and training, Ulf had never had cause to interact with much that looked like Allagan technology. Some of the autonomous units of the legions were drawn from their designs, of course, but these had been refashioned in the style of Garlean aesthetics. His experiences with the "real thing" had been quite brief, in the form of examinations of deactivated models of those floating "nodes" they seemed to have in all of their facilities. The only way he could clearly identify something wrought by the hands of Ancient Allag was if it was covered in sharp, straight, luminescent lines.

The object Virgil was having the crew extract from the hold of the Immesrabilis was riddled with them. Squat, vaguely rectangular, and completely covered in the stuff. There were no immediate clues as to its function, and the lack thereof made Ulf come to a second conclusion - unidentified Allagan technology should be treated as dangerous and life-threatening to all members of the crew until proven otherwise.

He had switched the safety off of his gunbaghnakhs and taken aim at the device before he'd even realized it because of that conclusion. His own soldiers stared at him in shock, frozen in place with the device carted between them. "Put it down," he said. "Put it down slowly, legionnaires, and come to my side. The same for the rest of the crew."

The soldiers obliged, and hastened to Ulf's side of the docking bay. "Tell the rest of the men to seal off the bay. Be prepared to evacuate the Firmitas if anything goes awry."

Silently, he cursed. What else would Virgil find down there? He had pried into the object of the Architectus' search, and been met only with polite rebuffs that said the information was not available to a Pilus, and little else. But what else could it be but Allagan spoils? They had sought to dominate the world, after all. Why wouldn't that include the seas?

"Ulf," Yga began, having come by his side to "have it out" with Virgil as he'd threatened. "What is that?"

"I don't know, Upper Citizen. Please leave the bay immediately." There were vagaries of rank here, given her attachment to the Special Expeditionary Cohort, but Ulf would take no chances. "Inform my security team they're needed immediately." His attention returned to the Immersabilis. Its entry hatch had been opened wider than normal to allow for the cargo's removal, but there was as yet no sign of Von Gravis. "Architectus? Are you present? What have you put on my ship?"

"Hold on, hold on." The crew of the whale-ship, gathered near its hatch, parted to let their commander through. Ulf's stance relaxed, but only just. "It's fine, Pilus Hartsblood. It's fine."

"Tell me what you've put on my ship, and why I shouldn't dispose of it."

If Virgil had said anything like what he expected the Black Wolf must have heard in making his devil's bargain to take control of Ultima, Ulf would have shot him and suffered the consequences. He could fantasize the possibilities: "Power beyond Garlemald's wildest dreams." "The final solution to the Eorzean Problem." A dozen other statements of similar grandeur, and similar delusion.

Instead, Virgil's response was, "It's not a weapon." And only then did Ulf lower his own. "It's a resource, but not a weapon. But I wouldn't shoot at it - I have no idea how much stress the container can take, not pressurized as it is."

The knowledge that Ulf was staring down a potential explosive made him wary again. "Explain, Architectus."

"You don't need to trouble yourself with - "

"Explain."

Virgil flinched, but interposed himself between the soldier and his cargo. "Ceruleum. Stable - unless you shoot at it of course - already refined, and concentrated. No estimates on its energy potential yet, but only yet. If my understanding of the systems of the facility are correct, then - " He inhaled, his chest swelling with pride. "Then I expect that this is but the first of many gifts we can expect from Dagon."

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - LystAP - 01-27-2017

A single step… every one with a burden. The Thanalan sun shone overhead as the adherent stepped forth… one by one. Under the unflinching eyes of onlookers and alert guards, a re-enacted punishment for a daughter of Ul’dah.

It went so wrong…
However, she was still a scion of Ul’dah. And she must always be aware of her breeding and responsibilities, for good or ill.

“I am disappointed in you.” The first and only words stated by her father upon her return from Limsa. She stared blankly first as he walked away, surrounded by panicking retainers and managers. She continued to stare in his general direction as he disappeared into the doorway out the streets. Shock ripped through her body, whom never has known such emotions of distress. Her heart felt as if it stop and her body quivered, her eyes shimmered and she fell to the floor.

The guards had left the area, accompanying her father, but the glum lighting seem to reveal shadowy figures, like a jury staring down a guilty defendant. Tears dropped down from her emerald eyes, splattering the marble floor of the spire with her regrets. In the middle of the hallways, she did not appear the confident daughter of Hihijewa Cacajewa, heir to the family’s magical legacy, but a miserable creature curled up in a web of her own making.

It is said superior breeding created a superior individual, but Hisa felt anything but superior. Even in Ul’dah, where everyone presumed that each individual was responsible for their own lot in light, the aristocracy persisted, although now determined by wealth, alongside blood. Many of the old aristocracy were part of the Royalty Faction, and the power of the Monetarists grew regardless of the walls thrown up by the old nobility. Hisa’s brothers and sisters have gone their way, and she as the youngest, sought to make her mark on the world.

The sinner continued to walk. Every step with purpose, yet growing weight on a body unused to prolonged physical activity. The crowd jeered at her, watching a highborn of Ul’dah brought low, throwing mud and objects at her. The Blades largely kept them back, if she were to fall, it would be through the own limits of her body. Some of the Blades sneered as well, sure of her failure.

In the end, it ended like this, in a moment of youthful panic and implicit arrogance. With one panically order, one confused officer, and one volley of powder, the fate of her father and all that her family built, stood on the precipice of the world of darkness. She recalled the angry rebukes from her siblings, the glaring stares of their retainers; she recalls her brother’s angry, but smug sneer, directly at her.

Her heart was grinded and crushed as her father mouthed the words, his eyes looking into her face and dragging her soul into the seven hells. She curled up on that dirty floor, her gold dress wrinkled and her veil dropped to the floor, as her pride, her large glorious pigtails, flowed out of their bindings. The light reflected off her blonde hair, damped by black highlights.

The display contrasted with her face, tears streaming down, makeup twisting with liquid and sorrow as she cried in despair. Her lalafellin features curled with her body, creating a vision of a sorrowful curse doll from the Far East as she sobbed for a bell, then two, laying on the floor like the peasants she had looked down upon. Her cries rebound off through the halls, the voice sounding upon a statue of Nald’thal. The Traders have their way of equaling the scales for the conceited.

She panted, but never broke her stride. She slowed down at points, but continued onwards regardless. The sun rose and fell, as replaced by the moon, and the cold Thanalan night. The crowd gradually dissipated; while it was amusing to watch a supposedly pampered daughter of a Monetarist punished, her name was barely of note in the wider scenes. The next day, a big Coliseum event drew most of the onlookers, leaving only grumbling Blades and herself, a sinner trotting the steps of sin.

Hihisa looked up at the door of the Chamber, where the Executive Council of the Eastern Aldnarld Trading Company met. Lolorito himself was absent, gone on business, but his aid was present, alongside a special link pearl connecting him with Lord Lolorito. Alongside representatives of every subsidiary, the actual heads couldn’t be bothered with the pleas of a low-level executive, even though she was partially to blame for the fiasco.

She was dressed in a jet-black traditional tunic, none of the gold-threaded robes she wore during the Limsan Disaster. Hisa was still dressed in relative finery, she could still not embarrass herself in front of those who would decide her father’s fate.“Madam Hihisa Hisa, you may enter,” A stern Brass Blade stated.  She took a breath, adjusted her long-flowing pigtails, and entered the room. Eyes centered at her figure, it was intensive; the pressure could be felt physically, and it took all of Hisa’s breeding and training to remain standing. She scanned the room and identified persons of interest, those who would benefit from her father’s removal, those who still supported him, placing the fault on the person before them. “Miss Hihisa! You come here to appeal on your father, Hihijewa Cacajewa’s behalf,” spoke the aid of Lolorito. “Indeed, good ser,” she curtsies promptly.

“What do you argue?” he spoke promptly and briskly. Hisa bows before the committee, “I ask that you reconsider the decision to remove my father from his position as president of EADI. The actions of the Limsan Incident are not his… it was my own independent action, created by my inexperience and loss of self-discipline.”
“But it is true that Mr. Hihijewa appointed YOU as the field manager of EADI’s Limsa Division, and it was under HIS auspices that a ship of the Sultana’s Fleet was dispatched to Limsa during such times,” the aid retorted. With each statement, Hisa slightly flinched as the aid’s words rammed into her psyche. “Above all, it can be questioned as to the whole purpose of the dispatch! What reason was the ship sent, other than to shore up his own personal interests, represented by YOU, outside of the intent or vision of the EATC!”

A sun has past, but she continued her punishment, the crowd largely gone, only members of her own retinue remain. It was strange, why are they still here? She was nothing now, another sinner serving her penance. However, many of her servants are here… are they mocking her? Mayhap… but their faces lacked any sign of sneering or disdain.

Hisa clunched her fists, her hands, normally soft and silk, have become slightly callused, quite quickly she might add. “My lords and ladies, there is a reason for the deployment of the ship to Limsa. Mayhap, you’ve heard the rumors regarding the ceruleum shortage in Limsa, or the influx of magitek household goods into the common market - outside of the EATC’s or Syndicate control?” Hisa stated. “Yes and?” the aid spoke dismissively. Hihisa continued,“It appears the magitek goods originate from a wide variety of vendors throughout Eorzea; however, the ceruleum that fed them comes from an alleged ceruleum deposit in the Sea of Jade.”

Hihisa continues onward, “One red-shirt man, and accompanied by a Aya Foxheart of the Quicksand, contends that there is a ceruleum field located in the Sea of Jade, currently under contest. There is evidence that Gridania is involved.” Hihisa held up a pile of documents in her hand, pieces of a ledger from her meeting with the red-shirt man, and handed it over to the committee aid. He passed it over to the aid, whose lalafellin eyes briefly scanned the pages, and his eyes briefly widen, before reverting to their normal shape. Hihisa noted this and her spirits soared somewhat.

She continued, “There has also been sightings of a mechanical beast in the area, the red-shirt man contends this is a Garlean-construct. I surmise a mammet-like underwater machina that hunts down ships in the area. This may have implications for Ul’dah and EATC’s Far Eastern trade.” Whispers could be heard among the committee, as well as into the linkpearls of the various aids and representatives around the room. The aid, after finishing his discussion with the other end of his link pearl, realizes that the others were also whispering all around the room, signaled for silence. The silent conversation continued regardless and he had to bang the ebony wood table to get the attention of the other representatives and aids.

It was a wonder she could move still. She had an advantage that the namesake of this path did not, she was a Thaumaturge, expert at manipulating the aetheric energies within herself. Her training unconsciously helped maintain and ration her body’s dwindling aetheric reserves. Mayhap the consigners of this fate did not believe she truthfully passed her studies. Nevertheless, this was still a punishment, and a throbbing pain was persistent throughout her body as the aether that sustained it was exhausted by persistent repetitive activity.

“These findings are of interest to the Eastern Aldernald Trading Company, and of value to our future planning. But they do not absolve you nor your father of your blat violation of the Sultana’s grace and our Alliance relationships,” the aid declared, adjusting his glasses dramatically. “But you say they are of use! If you were to condemn my father, you would lose one of your most experienced managers, with extensive experience of our Far Eastern trade routes! My family has been in the naval trade for generations! When all else were still bribing the Ala Mhigans, our family braved the Limsan pirates for the riches of the Far East!” Hihisa retorted.

“My family have served Ul’dah for generations! And now you want to throw them away as refuse! My family will survive this. Our knowledge is bound to Belah’dia and the /Legacy/ that came before, it is knowledge that cannot be priced!” [Hisa spoke with conviction, determination and a hint of desperation. “Even if you throw them out! My family will wait in the shadows, for moons or generations mayhap, but they will return to our place in the jewel of the desert! Silence fell over the chamber, the committee members simply stared at her. After talking into his linkpearl, the aid shrugged. “That will be all, Miss Hihisa Hisa. Please wait in the lobby while we discuss our options.” In shock, she curtises once more and leaves the chamber. The wait was long, and every moment, her heart pounded against her chest. Her lalafellin skin was covered in goosebumps and her legs slightly shook. It was strange… what she dreaded the most now, was what would happen to her family.

Her beloved father of course, but also her mother, and even her siblings, whom she saw as competitors. Her father emerged in her mind, a jolly fellow who always looked out for his employees. A rarity among the often-stereotypical caricatures of the Monetarists, barring the upper members of the Syndicate, such as the Prioress, and the incomprehensible Manderville. A eternity passed and the words came, “Miss Hihisa, the Committee will see you.”

Hihisa Hisa, a sinner under the Traders, consigned herself to her fate. “Miss Hihisa Hisa, minor executive of the Eastern Aldernald Distribution Inc., you are hereby demoted to entry-level manager and Ser Fufurito be forced to give up his previous and ongoing bonuses, however, he shall retain his position in the EATC, upon successful completion of a punishment selected by committee and with Lord Lolorito’s recommendations. If you fail to accomplish said punishment, you and your father will be removed immediately from the employment of the EATC,” the aid declared. He then read out the chosen punishment, “Do you accept this contract?” Hihisa stood there for a moment, before stating,“I do.”

The Eighty Sins of Sasamo, the memory of a daughter of Ul’dah who was punished for plotting to seize the throne. Mayhap it was a fitting punishment for a daughter who plotted and failed to seize the limelight, the depths of her mind mused. She walked and walked and walked, and at last, she reached the end of her journey, not a single step missed, not a single sin forgotten.

Two suns had past. Two suns was the punishment. Only treason against the Sultanate allowed more. Her punishment was conducted in public, so not only could the citizenry see her repentance, but so would the other members of the Alliance. It was noted that she completed the punishment without complaint, without hesitation, nor any behavior that the populace expected of a supposedly spoiled rich girl. Nevertheless, with war looming over the border, new crises and gossip popping up all over Eorzea, the event barely warranted a footnote in the Mythril Eye. That said, the event did note a bigger section in Limsa, although the artist’s bias and self-image of lalafells twisted Hisa’s image into a one substantially different from her true natural doll-like face.

Hihisa Hisa looked out over the city from the top of her family's spire, the cold Thanalan wind blew past her face and her precious long-pigtails blew in the breeze. She was dressed again in her golden dress, the reflective surface reflecting the city lights. Her legs were still wrapped in bandages, and it was a medical miracle she could still walk, despite essentially being starved of food and water for two days climbing the Sins of Sasamo. Her aetheric training proved a boon, worth the days when she had entertained the notion of paying her way to success. 

Nevertheless, as in the past, there was no shortcut to the desired future; all needs to be achieved with her own hands. For this, another change is needed. From her golden robes a dagger was drawn forth, not unlike one used by her serv... her friend. She needs to re-established contact. As another wind blew, she brought the dagger up and sliced off her beloved pigtails. As the blonde hair blew away in the night, she looked up at the moon. "And so we begins again..."

RE: Merchant, Marine [Semi-Open] - LystAP - 01-27-2017

Mysterious Happenings in Limsa - Post-Battle of the Gilded Ship

The night shimmered as the moon reflected in the night, a group of hooded figures alongside a few local drunks could be seen moving about. Chanting “Vengeance for Hellfist!” in a semi-drunken fashion they moved towards Swiftperch. The lights flicked briefly and went out, “Huh?,” one of the figures stated… and noisy chaos, then nothing… the light came on and only bodies remained, their wounds cuts on the neck. By the morning, local wildlife had mutilated the bodies further and the scene was discovered by a chocobo wagon bound for Swiftperch.

The Maelstrom investigated the incident and assigned the blame to nearby Serpent Reaver activity. The Maelstrom would remind citizens to travel during the day and/or under armed escort.

———

“Me will see you lasses later,”  declared a large Roe leaving a modest looking home. “Me’ll be back after the protest,” he stated to the two former prostitutes, “We’ll be waiting, hun.” “Why are you bothering with them bunch?” one of his wives stated. The roe looked back, “We got to take Limsa back from the big crews, from the leashed dogs (rogues), and remind the admiralty just where the red that dyed th’a flag came from! And me intends to show me and mine support to these Hellfist fellas!” He smiled lewdly at them and waved to head off. Only after a few yalms, did he turn back and his eyes widened. The house was on fire. “NO! ME LASSES! ME SONS!” He screamed and ran towards the house, just as he broke down the doorway, he felt a prick on his neck… and feel face forward into oblivion.

After the fire consumed the home, the Yellowjackets investigated and concluded that the fire was caused by a malfunctioning ceruleum oven. Formally, officials warn citizens to avoid using alternative fuels for their magitek devices (such as beer), in lieu of actual ceruleum.

———

A hallway full of shouting Limsans and well-doers, pounded against the magistrate’s door at Aleport. The magistrate adjusted his spectacles and looked out at the crowd. “Justice for Jenny!’, “Privateer Justice Now!”, and similar slogans were painted on the signs. He sighed and turn around towards the Yellowjacket officers standing in the halls, “I want these fools away by the next bell!,” he stated, looking back at the crowd, full of workers from the nearby docks. They had come to protest the admiralty’s recent legislation restricting the privateer license process, as well as a recent increase in taxes drawn by the military buildup by Baelser’s Wall. As he turned around to regard his officers, a sudden crash could be heard outside, alongside mass screaming. “Nymeia’s Teets! Report! REPORT DAMNS YOU!”

Harbor News Report: A section of the retaining wall around Aleport collapsed on a protest by local citizenry, against recent restrictions in the issuing of new privateering licenses as well as a general tax increase levied by the Admiralty. Casualties were moderate, five dead and ten wounded. Ultimately, the cause was identified as general wear-and-tear of the retaining wall, which suffered recently from a Sahagin seaborne attack. The foundations were found to have been weakened, although the sanctioned repair company argued that the foundations were structurally sound the last time that they were evaluated.

———

A group of farmers working the field outside of Summerford, “Me thinks Hellfist was a victim of the Admiralty, they probably paid that Simb’a Fuckintia a good amount of gil to silence that Jenny,” states a worker, the workers around him nodded their heads. “All this patriotic activity, it be mummery. Mummery so that the Admiralty can put all else into lockstep, like we be Garleans or somewhat!” The group cheers. “If me knew about Miss Jenny back then, me would have join their crew and show that Admiral’s lapdog, Fuckintia, what he should really be #(@#$*,” roars of laughter accompanied that statement  Afterward, they sat down for lunch while talking about their plans for protest. A choke, than many more.

Latter, a foreman discovered the bodies of the dead workers. Apparently, they drank from a shared barrel of wine. Inside the barrel, the corpse of a deadly viper was found. Authorities determined that the snake slithered into the barrel and drowned, poisoning the beer.

———

Two small figures ran through the street, from a distance, they appear to be children, but closer examination identified them as lalafell. “Hurry! It’s behind us!”, they continued to scamper in the rain. Turning left, right, left, left and right… they head into alley and find themselves trapped at the end. “No good! We gotta go back..!” A sharp whirl whistle in the air and one of the lalafellin women fell to the ground. Closer examination found that she was dead, “OH MY GODS, YOU KILLED KEKENY! YOU BASTARD!”, the other lalafellin woman roared in a rage and unsling her axe to face their mysterious pursuer. A brief clang of steel rung out, then gurgling, then silence.

In the morning, a local boy discovered the corpses of the lalafellin women. There was signs of a battle, but ultimately the Yellowjackets dismissed the case, citing lack of evidence and the fact the two women were known as local vandals with a long-list of possible assailants, including a theft that violated the Rogue’s Code.

———

Hidden in a cove, was the vessel, Night Plunder, now Hellfist’s Revenge. What remained of the crew sung chanties and slogans, alongside local supporters from the Summerford Farms. The crew had brought some of their families and curious onlookers into the ship and they worked alongside their husbands, wives and children to keep the ship in tip-top-shape, alongside unveiling a banner they planned on showing in a sail by Limsa.
A sentry overlooking the cove turned and caught very briefly movement in the rocks, but further investigation turned out nothing. As night fell, the families gathered onboard the ship, singing more chanties and generally enjoying each other’s company.
“Ship ahoy”, a sentry called out and the deck swarmed with activity. They had been discovered, but by who? A sudden BANG was heard in the distance, and a volley of shells slammed into the ship, slaying indiscriminately. The crew attempted to bring up a white flag of parley, but another volley cut impacted the deck, beehive shells inspired by adventurer designs ripped into the spoken upon it, slicing men, women and children alike into mincemeat. Another volley slammed into what remained of the ship, igniting what remains of Hellfist’s Revenge into a blazing splintered inferno.

Later, the ship responsible for the vessel’s destruction was identified as registered under the Foreign Levy. The Maelstrom Command received a very detailed tip about renegade pirate activity along the Middle to Western La Noscea shoreline, a place reputedly full of shipless pirates and Serpent Reaver activity; the 'Serpent’s Folly', under the command of Loriri “Balls-hacker” Riri, entered the area and intercepted the alleged renegade pirate ship. She reported that the vessel was destroyed, with no survivors, after failing to submit to the Galadion Accord and Limsan justice.