Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay (/showthread.php?tid=3415)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - K'nahli - 08-09-2013

I won't be accepting it unless ultimately faced with it by someone else regardless. If others choose to use it then so be it. As long as it's not ridiculous I will accept it as a rarity but I find it very absurd. Just because it was written into the lore doesn't mean it's totally justified RP-wise, at least in my mind. If such a thing were rather common, then wouldn't everyone be able to make themselves look beautiful? Remove all possible appearance flaws and insecurities and imply that everyone in Eorzea is just the icon of beauty and perfection?

Sounds too silly for me. You're born the way you are and if it's that easy to fix things you don't like then it steals depth from my point of view.

And more importantly as others stated, it leads to too many possibilities of misuse and misconduct.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Moltove - 08-09-2013

I've never seen a RP community in any game debate or wonder the in-cannon nature of these appearance items. All games have them, they all have silly flavor text (because all items have flavor text, it's what we come to expect and know),  it's usually sold on a RMT program the game company has and changes all appearance options-- never (normally) the race and gender changer (those were seperate items).

In RP, it was hardly used. Most people were satisfied with their characters, but it was just another OOC tool in case something happened. Rarely RPed as part of a plot, it was just if people needed a reroll and used the appearance changer (or the race/gender/name changer) to make a new character and not start their EXP over.

I'm not quite sure why the passive aggressive back and forth is needed over such an item. No one's going to abuse it. If they do, you know not to talk to them anymore, I guess? At the same time I cannot see how some of you are taking this item so seriously, but perhaps you have plans for it.

But it's an item. Bickering over an item. >.>

(Lady2Beetle, your use sounds pretty interesting, compared to everyone else here, so you're expluded =p)

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Sarantali - 08-09-2013

[Image: wigger-15513.jpg]

I make no promises that the above picture isn't the real world equivalent of what Koren would "see" for someone who used that potion if it's taken IC. Laugh Aaand react accordingly.

I also add

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Ildur - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 02:48 PM)Knahli Wrote: If such a thing were rather common, then wouldn't everyone be able to make themselves look beautiful? Remove all possible appearance flaws and insecurities and imply that everyone in Eorzea is just the icon of beauty and perfection?

Sounds too silly for me. You're born the way you are and if it's that easy to fix things you don't like then it steals depth from my point of view.

The description uses the expression "Legend says". If it's something readily available, it wouldn't be a legend. So it's probably not going to be canonically easily obtainable, even if from a gameplay persepective it is. Also, by the wording, I think it's implied you don't necessarily wake up as the person you want. So you might end up even worse or ugler than you were.
I do not think we are going to have to worry about hordes of players using this IC, in any case.

It will be interesting to see people pondering about the implications that such a draught is possible, though.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Elisea Renyven - 08-09-2013

I'm guessing this is for those that wanted to redo their character... Off question here. I thought you could rename your Legacy characters? Does this Phial do that or something? I guess I'm royally confused now. All it says is appearance change from what I gather. (Assuming race and/or Gender)

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Moltove - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 03:19 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: I'm guessing this is for those that wanted to redo their character... Off question here. I thought you could rename your Legacy characters? Does this Phial do that or something? I guess I'm royally confused now. All it says is appearance change from what I gather. (Assuming race and/or Gender)

Legacy can redo their character completely at launch, but only once. I think to balance things out and give everyone a 'second chance' in case they end up not liking their character, they just made the a "Vet Reward".

If I didn't have the Legacy appearance change, I'd be grabbing that up. I made a mistake when fine-tuning my Char originally, but I'm sure a Barber would be enough to suffice.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Elisea Renyven - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 03:24 PM)Moltove Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 03:19 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: I'm guessing this is for those that wanted to redo their character... Off question here. I thought you could rename your Legacy characters? Does this Phial do that or something? I guess I'm royally confused now. All it says is appearance change from what I gather. (Assuming race and/or Gender)

Legacy can redo their character completely at launch, but only once. I think to balance things out and give everyone a 'second chance' in case they end up not liking their character, they just made the a "Vet Reward".

If I didn't have the Legacy appearance change, I'd be grabbing that up. I made a mistake when fine-tuning my Char originally, but I'm sure a Barber would be enough to suffice.

Ok that makes more sense. For some reason I thought this was our 'redo' the character at launch thing. Hope I didn't derail any discussion.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Clover - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 02:55 PM)Moltove Wrote: I'm not quite sure why the passive aggressive back and forth is needed over such an item. No one's going to abuse it. If they do, you know not to talk to them anymore, I guess? At the same time I cannot see how some of you are taking this item so seriously, but perhaps you have plans for it.

But it's an item. Bickering over an item. >.>

(Lady2Beetle, your use sounds pretty interesting, compared to everyone else here, so you're expluded =p)
Well, this topic has been opened for people to discuss about it, since some players want to use it ICly. There's no need to complain about people discussing something you personally don't care for... o.o?

I have no idea of how many people will use it, and neither do you. Some of us merely stated our hope for it not to become a common occurrence, and that's all.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - K'nahli - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 03:17 PM)Ildur Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 02:48 PM)K Wrote: If such a thing were rather common, then wouldn't everyone be able to make themselves look beautiful? Remove all possible appearance flaws and insecurities and imply that everyone in Eorzea is just the icon of beauty and perfection?

The description uses the expression "Legend says". If it's something readily available, it wouldn't be a legend. So it's probably not going to be canonically easily obtainable, even if from a gameplay persepective it is. Also, by the wording, I think it's implied you don't necessarily wake up as the person you want. So you might end up even worse or ugler than you were.
I do not think we are going to have to worry about hordes of players using this IC, in any case.

It will be interesting to see people pondering about the implications that such a draught is possible, though.

While that's true, it will fall down to the amount of people that choose to RP it however. That will be the true depiction of it's rarity. While some may act as though they had received it from a mysterious, traveling salesman, others might act as though it were readily available in the Ul'dah markets. Anyways, from a logical perspective it just wouldn't be a great addition to RP on a large scale. I guess we'll just have to see. I hope it won't be overused.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - lady2beetle - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 03:17 PM)Ildur Wrote: It will be interesting to see people pondering about the implications that such a draught is possible, though.

Oh, I've absolutely been considering the implications.

Hypothetical: wealthy elezen merchant heiress who might be in love with miqo'te boyfriend. Miqo'te boyfriend's enemy curses elezen, then leaves her for miqo'te to find.

Implications:
  • Does BF believe it's you? Does he assume this is all a hoax? Does he think his GF is dead?
  • Next, your sister. How do you tell your sister that you really are the elezen she knows despite having a tail and cat ears? How are you going to convince her? How are you going to avoid the shock, disbelieve, shame and embarrassment of the rest of your house hold?
  • Physically? Miqo'te have sharp hearing. Elezen have decent hearing, I understand, but nothing like the Miqo'te. That will take some getting used to. You used to be tall - now you are short. How annoying! And that tail! What the hell is a tail good for anyway?
  • Rumors spread quick and the evidence doesn't look good: Miqo'te is dating merchant heiress --> Merchant heiress disappears --> Miqo'te is now dating another miqo'te who claims to be merchant heiress. What would YOU assume to be happening? It's almost like that old movie Face Off, only different.
  • So what do you do? Do you stay and try to fight for your identity? Or do you leave to carve a new one? Whichever you pick, there are going to be people who constantly suspect that its a big scam and the real you has been a victim of foul play. And there's nothing you can do to prove otherwise...

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Ildur - 08-09-2013

I meant more about magical implications. As in, if someone could make a potion that 'remakes' a person physically, maybe less powerful variants can be made. Maybe someone will invent plastic magical surgery because of this, now. Or short-term shapeshifting powers, or disguise potions like those in Harry Potter.

Suddenly, there's a lot of things that can be considered in-lore thanks to this as long as they are many degrees less powerful than the original deal.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Eva - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 03:48 PM)lady2beetle Wrote: [*]Physically? Miqo'te have sharp hearing. Elezen have decent hearing, I understand, but nothing like the Miqo'te. That will take some getting used to. You used to be tall - now you are short. How annoying! And that tail! What the hell is a tail good for anyway?

Offtopic a bit, but I felt compelled to point out that Miqo'te have a heightened sense of smell, but normal hearing.  Some elezen (duskwight specifically) have sharp hearing.

These are good good situations to ponder over for someone who might actually use this.  It would certainly add complication.

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - lady2beetle - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 04:30 PM)Eva Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 03:48 PM)lady2beetle Wrote: [*]Physically? Miqo'te have sharp hearing. Elezen have decent hearing, I understand, but nothing like the Miqo'te. That will take some getting used to. You used to be tall - now you are short. How annoying! And that tail! What the hell is a tail good for anyway?
[*]

Offtopic a bit, but I felt compelled to point out that Miqo'te have a heightened sense of smell, but normal hearing.  Some elezen (duskwight specifically) have sharp hearing.

These are good good situations to ponder over for someone who might actually use this.  It would certainly add complication.
[*]
Haha! Thank you for the correction. Big Grin I shall incorporate it. My bad!

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - Aysun - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 02:32 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 07:32 AM)Aysun Wrote: I absolutely will not be accepting this as IC way of gender/race swapping.

I have to wonder... why not? When it's got lore behind it? Even if you think it's silly lore, it's still lore.

Strikes me as a little snobby to not "accept" such an excuse.

My personal preference, as I stated. People pick and choose which lore to acknowledge all the time, and often it's a lot bigger than a OOCly-needed item with flavor text, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe in my choice. If someone approaches Aysun, claiming to be x person who she knew before and used this potion, I will react ICly of course: write them off as freaking insane/stalker/wtfgoodbye. Smile

RE: A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay - rynsan - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 07:22 AM)CassandraJean Wrote: That's actually a really good point! I have no plans to use such a thing (though I will undoubtedly hoard it) but it could be really useful for those who wanted a change but couldn't figure out if they should do it in an rp setting!

I very much agree with this comment. I'd haord it. Like a treasure. Never to be opened. Just there to say "I have it". But yes, I can understand that it could be use in lore to help people change their 1.0 characters. Will it be a wish for such item? Will it be an accidental drink? The amount of different possible reasons could be humorous. Big Grin