Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Coast in the Desert (Finished) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Coast in the Desert (Finished) (/showthread.php?tid=3457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - Rue - 08-13-2013

"F-f-flames?"

She blinked before lowering her chin, but her gaze at the sudden notation she wasn't alone, her chocobo now standing behind her in fear as she reached out for the assistance finding herself to weak to stand herself. She forgotten how long she had been running.

"I fear I'm not."

She felt the fur in her ears fickle as she was completely venerable to the beings around her. She seemed a little paniced unknowing their purpose. As she felt herself pulled to her feet she barely managed to stand nearly toppling over once more btu catching herself with her right leg as her ears titled completely forward, her face redden from the rush of blood to her face from all sorts of emotions flooding her and the sudden stance on her feet.

"Y-you're not b-bandits, you sure don't look like them... A-are you?"

Her bangs seemed to naturally over her right eye as she looked around herself at them all. Her eyes seemed to be a bright ocean filled aqua flowing through them.-

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - S'demyx Tia - 08-13-2013

The male Seeker glanced the female over quickly before returning his gaze to Desmond. He nodded, completely removing his hand from his weapon and allowing himself to relax - if only slightly. He crossed his arms over his chest.
"S'demyx." He stated simply. He hissed with every 's' sound he made, and a heavy tribal accent made his speaking a bit difficult to understand. 

His ears perked forward, listening in on the conversation of the female while standing to the side of his new comrade in arms, smirking as he addressed him further, "You fight well."

Truly not one for many words.

He held his gaze on the Hyur, Delwyn, watching as he continued speaking with the female. "Though he fights like a cub learning to hunt." He smirk widened briefly into a small, humerous smile, but he held back the will to chuckle. After a pause, he spoke up once more.

"Tell me, Desmond. Why have you sought these bandits. Honor? Glory? Or just for money."

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - Desmond Aryll - 08-13-2013

It was a heavy accent. Desmond had to focus to catch every word. He didn't have much experience dealing with the more tribal Miqo'te. He got the sense that when this one, S'demyx spoke, it was worth listening.

He paused for a moment, then offered, "I have no other choice but to fight, my friend."

S'demyx regarded him impassively, arms across his chest. He was the same size as Desmond, which was above average for a Miqo'te. All of a sudden he was glad this one hadn't spoken up first when he challenged the group to spar. He was fairly certain of the outcome had things been different.

Turning to the other Hyur, he said, "Delwyn, help her over there," he began walking towards where his pack and armor lay. "We can give her water and food." Then turning to the little female, his voice softening, "I apologize but I'm afraid we can't allow you to leave. At least not yet, this is a dangerous area and your life would be at risk if you continue on your own." 

The sun was dipping in the sky.

S'demyx seemed to become a bit agitated at Desmond's coddling words. He walked over to the largest rock in the oasis after the aforementioned Hyur moved to his pack. He sat down, leaning against it. He removed the satchel from around his shoulder, allowing it to drop carelessly to the ground.

After a minute shuffling, he swore under his breath and unsheathed the massive weapon from his back, allowing it lay before him. The edges were slightly worn and cracked from numerous battles, but it held up all the same. 

He rose, dragging his heavy axe along with him as he approached Desmond. "Whetstone." Was all he offered.

The red eyed man nodded, reaching into his bag to retrieve it. While he looked, the Miqo'te male offered a few quieted words,

"Do you really think it wise for her to stay, Hyur?" He glanced over towards her, sneering at her meek appearance before turning back, a glare in his eyes. "She clearly cannot fight."

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - doctorgalactic - 08-13-2013

Kayle smiled calmly at the woman as she rose, hoping to disarm her fear.  "No love, we're not bandits.  Truth telling, there are worse things to fear out here though.  We've been conscripted by the Sultanate in Ul'Dah to bring some stability and peace to the area, by order of the Immortal Flames. Come, sit a moment with us by the water.  It's cooler in the shade, and your poor bird looks like it could use a drink."  He made a clicking noise at Redwind, and patted his thigh as he led the young woman to Desmond's rucksack.  The bird calmly sidled along side to his right, looking curiously at the Miqo'te's mount.  

"It's young, I'd wager?" Kayle asked her, motioning to her chocobo.  "Quite playful that one.  Try spending some time with it; playing, walking.  It's still not used to you scent or intentions.  Here, give it some of these" he said as he reached into his belt and produced some pungent roughage, slightly wilted.  "They're pickled and dried, but Redwind loves them just before I brush her down for the eve."

Her trepidation hung thick over the group as Kayle valiantly tried to assert their intentions to ease her mind.  "You know, love, there's something about the edge of the water that's always calmed me."  He led her to the edge of the oasis and removed some of his gear from it's place on Redwind.  He pulled a small bit of dried fish from his pack and offered it with a grin to the young woman.  He passed his gaze between the two men and held up what appeared to be the remainder of his food to them as well.

"I didn't grow up here, you know.  I used to live far, far North.  Farther North than I can remember, truth told.  My family and I, we started travelling when I was very young, and we never settled in one spot for too long.  One day, we came to a small harbor village on the Eastern coast.  There wasn't much to see there, but as it happens it's where the folk from the area migrated to.  There was laughter, trading of goods, and people knew what it meant to be happy despite the world around them."  Kayle's gaze traveled away from the group to the water, and beyond.  "You know, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of that place, but I remember the driftwood.  It gathered at the water's edge, much like the people, arriving from Twelve know where, gathering with others like it.  Waiting for a new life, to make use of themselves.  Withered and beaten, they huddled together and made a home."  

Kayle looked up from his daydream to find the group blankly staring at him.  He felt the blood rush to his cheeks as he embarrassingly stood and tried desperately to divert attention elsewhere.  "Ah, you see!  There now."  He motioned to the young woman's bird as it padded over to her and playfully cooed before settling next to her and resting it's head across the woman's shoulder.  "Does it have a name?"

-Stared towards Desmond a moment telling her that she couldn't leave. But with the sun settling behind her, she glanced back. She'd rather spend the evening with company then alone with all the creepy crawlies of the night. Nodding merely, though she glared at the other Miqo'te after being called defenseless. Little did he know she had tricks up her, well even with the lack of sleeves. Tricks. Just like her sensitive ears that rotated to even the smallest sound, when she wasn't distracted that is.

She followed Kayle then towards his own chocobo taking the stinky veggies into her hands. She looked over to her own chocobo whom follow near yet and placed it's jaw on top of her head. Which looked rather silly. She closed her eyes a moment before pushing his jaw up and offering the vegetation to the large bird who gobbled them down and swooned soon after and remained close now the sun had fell.

"Yes, he is young. I've had him since he was a egg. He just isn't keen on being riden..."

She remained somewhat silent as they settled along the oasis's edge, her tail coiling around her skirted legs as she did not reject the offer of fish. She held it before taking a bite while he spoke. Her ear shifted upwards as she seemed interested in what he was saying, but tilted when he was finished as if to think of what to say,

"Oh... His name is Firefly."

She finished her bit of fish before finding her lap now filled with the head of her chocobo as she lightly ran her fingers over his feather tuff. Then down over his crown and down his neck, till his large dark eyes closed to fall at ease. She felt her ears tilt back as she looked towards Kayle whom been so kind so far as she spook with a soft and nearly quite tone. Finally offering a very small smile.-

"Thank you for your generosity."

"It might hurt our case to allow her to go her own way. It is better for us to know where she is than not," he said to S'demyx, who clearly did not approve of the female.

Listening to Delwyn talk, he looked at the people gathered in the oasis, 'Is that what we are? Driftwood? Washing up anywhere without direction?'

It was funny, here they were, sharing food and comfort, when soon they would be offering something very different. They would be offering the men over the ridge death. 'What makes them so different from us. Any one us of could've washed up in that camp.' It was a bitter thought.

The female's chocobo rested it's head in her lap, she caressed it's neck. 'Well, most of us anyway.' A hint of a smile touched the corners of his mouth and he felt a little better.

Desmond picked up his leather haubergeon and slipped into it, tightening the straps with practiced efficiency. "I don't believe anyone else will be coming to aid us." He looked from one face to the next. "They keep two sentries at all times but they are undisciplined, I can take care of one of them, Delwyn, you take the other."

He turned to face the big Miqo'te directly, "Once they're down, S'demyx can attack openly. While you have their attention diverted, Delwyn and I can attack from behind. With skill and some luck, we can win the night without injury."

Remembering their guest, Desmond looked down into her face, one big blue eye peering out from behind her bangs staring back at him. "I think you should stay here with Firefly, little miss. We would not want you hurt."

The female Miqo'te made a face, as if she had something to add. Desmond raised an eyebrow.

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - Gideon Aryeh - 08-13-2013

Amaare looked over past the rocks in the area he was sleeping during the day. He loved this place, it was a great resting place and good spot for hiding away from angry ...friends....yeah friends.  As he looked up still half asleep from his morning sleep his Couerl Braxas gave him a gentle lick on his face as she also awoke.

"Ah girlie you always make sure to give me a rightful good morning kiss"

He looked at the big Couerl with a playful smile as he scratched between her ears. She purred in return as he stood up and stretched. Braxas was barely an adult, big for her age but definitely not the biggest by far. Amaare had found her during the Calamity still by her dead mother's side who had suffered from Bahamut's attack like everyone else. He decided to take the baby Couerl with him on his way to Ul'dah after losing his ship to the dragon's attack.

Standing up and looking out over the oasis he lit his pipe and patted the big animal gently.

"Alright hon, its getting dark don't min fightin and all, but ain't in the mood fa getting surrounded by dem beastfoik. Lets go find ourselves some'in ta fill our bellies eh?"

Braxas's ears then pick up the noise of chattering in the distance and turns her head in that direction. she begins walking as she picks up the smell of fish.

"Well now looks like you mighta found breakfast, lead the way babe"

"Hn." 
The tribal male grunted in approval of Desmond's tactics, eagerly awaiting to be able to charge into battle. He sauntered over to his pack, picking it up and quickly bringing it over to the two men.

He reached inside. Though the dingy bag was mostly empty, he managed to scavenge out two thin viles that held a strange concoction. The liquid was thick and slimy, and dark green in appearance. It appeared to be more like sludge than anything else, though it was far from it.

Each of the viles were shoved into both of the Hyur's hands. Reaching in once more, he withdrew a purple vile. This one however moved within its encasing like water as opposed to the thick grimey movements of the green viles. This one, he brought to the Miqo'te female. 

He frowned, before passing it to her. She seemed to hesitate, especially at his cruel demeanor, but took it all the same.

"They're healing potions." He said to everyone at once, dropping the now near empty satchel the ground by the girl before returning to take his place to the other men. 

He took ahold of his newly sharpened axe, waiting for Desmond to continue instruction. 

Curiously, his head turned behind him, ears flattened against his head warily. His large lion-like tale swishing to and fro in anticipation at the sound of what he assumed to be someone approaching. Though he was unsure.

-She remained silent all the same for quite awhile to hear out Kayle responses as she noticed a small cut, but her thought interrupted as the vile appeared before her face. She did in fact hesitate but lightly grasped it with her fingertips. Her mine wondered, "Why would I need this?" Then it came to her realization, they knew nothing of her but her chocobo's name. She placed it on the thin leather belt holding her linen skirt to her hip, it was lined with small straps it seemed for several uses.

She looked up toward Desmond, he would read her face as her right eye even hidden under her bangs. That she was hesitating with the haze of disapproval coming from the male counterpart. Then her gaze looked down at the chocobo as if shamed. Then with a gasp she raised his face to tilt toward her. A small cut was on his jaw. She raised her right hand slightly.

Then a small white light glowed softly under her fingertips, tilting her hands so it kept to a soft glow and didn't brighten. She traced her fingertips along the small wound healing it. Smiling softly to her bird she pet where the small cut was. He cooed softly and laid his head next to her lap as if to sleep. But it proved that she could in fact heal.-

Desmond stuck the vile into his gauntlet after eyeing it for a moment. 'Might be useful, we don't have a heal-' he didn't finish the thought as he noticed a faint white light coming from the fingertips of the female Miqo'te as she petted her bird. 'Twelve, she's more than she appears.'

He crouched beside her as she finished taking care of some small wound on the chocobo's face. "You can heal," he said softly, more a statement than a question. She turned her face to him after caressing the bird. She nodded once.

'Well, that changes things somewhat,' Desmond weighed the ethics of risking someone's life who hadn't contracted with the Grand Company. Besides, she was exhausted and they had to attack the camp very soon. 

Just then he noticed that S'demyx had picked up on someone coming. His greataxe giving off a whirring noise as he hoisted it onto his shoulder. It looked like the female had no choice, she was involved already.

RE: A Coast in the Desert (Open to all!) - doctorgalactic - 08-13-2013

Kayle watched his companions as he finished securing his buckler to his arm.  "Right then, I guess that's settled" he said with a soft smirk.  He immediately directed his attention to the young Miqo'te.  "Sweet girl, stay behind me.  Swiftly, now!"  he said with an urgency in his tone that the party had not heard before.  I'll have her name by the end of this night... 

"If you've the inclination to see tomorrow's sun you'd best stay out of site."  His face was kind, but the words were stern. The desert is no place for a coward; strong men die here like dogs everyday.  Hard men.  The poor kit doesn't even have the means to flee he thought.

He watched as his companions drew their blades and followed suit.  "Nothing moves that fast in the desert twilight without motivation.  Be it friend or foe, we must be cautious."  He squinted in the direction of the tribal's gaze, but saw only a cloud of dust, shimmering and dark in the distance.  "S'demyx, what do you see?" His tone had not changed.

-Rose to her feet, keeping back slightly as her ears tilted forward to listen. Her chocobo had already fled back away from the group as the tiny female Miqo'te seemed to be readying herself. She had grown up in the desert, and knew a bit of fighting herself.

She pulled her pack off and reached in pulling out a long staff, it was decorated with dark green gems. She looked up towards the men before her as she stood with it. She exhaled, more out of focus and seriousness that crossed her face. Her bangs moved from her face a split second and her right eye was a solid silver tone iris vs her aqua left one. Her bangs fell back over her eyes as she nodded in her ready state. She had to prove her worth.-

S'demyx's eyes flicked back over his companions carefully, noting that the young woman had decided to tag along. He rolled his shoulders forward. This wasn't the time nor place to continue his disagreements. If she could prove herself, then by all means. If she died, it wasn't his fault.

His gaze flickered back to the horizon where a small light could be seen. The sky, now a purpleish color from leaving sun making it illuminate brighter than usual. 

He hissed, puffing out his chest, and tightening his grip on his beloved weapon. A light talking could be heard to his Miqo'te ears, causing him to frown. The light disappeared back once more into the distance: signifying whomever it was seemed to be either up for a late stroll, or scouting the area. 

Turning back instantly to face the group and his frown deepened. His eyes passed everyone over before finally landing on Desmond. A growl erupted from his throat as he spoke,

"Are they sentries or scouts, Desmond?! If we linger here any longer we will no longer have the upper hand." He turned to address Delwyn, "I suggest you two do whatever it is you plan to do."

A smirk broke on his lips, "I am eager to spill some blood."

S'demyx, was right.

"Follow me, but not too close." Desmond said to the others before climbing the hill that overlooked the oasis. He pulled his gladius slowly as he went. Reaching the crest, he hid behind a bush and peered through the branches. 

There was a big man approaching, his gait was too casual for a scout and they were too far off for him to be a sentry. There was also the little detail of the massive coeurl loping just ahead of man. Desmond was taken aback.

Just then S'demyx skulked over and crouched beside Desmond. He looked the Miqo'te warrior in his shining eyes, he was grinning, Desmond could hear the tendons stretching in his hands as he gripped his greataxe.