Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP vs. Game Play - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP vs. Game Play (/showthread.php?tid=4228)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Lren - 09-02-2013

Just finished getting to 50 with my dragoon but I dunno if I will really roleplay in game until after Wednesday. I've been booted by my own computer, ISP and, game. I'd rather not ditch someone mid RP because one of those three decided to rear it's ugly head ><

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Kyatai - 09-02-2013

^^^^^
That.
I have guildies complaining about lack of RP. But seriously- part of RP is being able to relax and enjoy it. I can't relax. And I'm not alone in this- other guildies feel the same- or are simply unable to get on. I'm stressed and feel pressured to 'hurry up and get a bit further before you get kicked again'.
I'm nearly L30, but have yet to open Toto or Hakke... and part of my IC story is being a Monk. I've had 3 good RP sessions since launch... and I'm happy with them. I have another RP session planned- but the other essential member of that RP hasn't logged in for days (and other members might be interested/included in the RP, but... well you all know that even on the BEST days, getting RPers on at a certain time and at a certain place is like herding cats. These are far from best days... so its just... impossible... til the servers are fixed).

So yeah... right now? Focusing on trying to advance... but really, really missing the RP. Sad

RE: RP vs. Game Play - LilMomoshi - 09-02-2013

When I do finally get in, I'm just going to take the approach I did with Wrath of the Lich King. I'd been roleplaying for years at that point, and sure, my guild would go off and RP out in the world... but I saw a lot of "Full Time" roleplayer tags that... well, didn't roleplay full time (later remedied by people having the option to make up and RP tag, and suddenly there being a million "veteran" or "mature" roleplayers). So I went out on my little gnomish deathknight (I love the little races) and as I adventured through Northrend for the first time, I did so completely in character. I'd wave and say hi to random people, if I saw an RPer at a quest hub, I'd walk around and make comments, and I actually got to enjoy some of the best RP ever just by doing that. So, when the time comes, and I get in game... come say hi! I'll be in character, even if my wife and I are grinding out levels. Worst case scenario is my character is in a rush to get on to the next job, and runs off really quickly with a few kind parting words.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Seamus O'Toole - 09-02-2013

I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to this. Like everyone else these server issues are kinda ruining my life, and so it seems when I do get on everyone is playing the game because who knows when you'll get 1017'd and then miss out.

RP in all it's places and forms are part of what makes the game fun. I feel like fighting all these things solo is missed RP opportunities. I haven't done any RP outside of random comments with a couple people and what good is

As far as level caps go I just need to find people who are fighting the same things I am so we can meet in the Tavern, have some drinks, then go fight things. Rinse and repeat lol

If anyone feels like adventuring in a group while being in character then go find Seamus O'toole and we'll kick it Fellowship style. Currently my MRD is 22 but can level some lower jobs if it works out.

PS: Lotro was amazing.

Having just mentioned it in my own thread, I now pitch the idea here! Using in-game housing parties to invite players over for tabletop RP. THIS MUST HAPPEN.

Seriously. In a world full of adventure and danger, glory and gold awaiting us, what better to do than grab some snacks and a few brews, head over to a friends, and pretend to go on adventures?

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Asyria - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 11:38 PM)LilMomoshi Wrote: Having just mentioned it in my own thread, I now pitch the idea here! Using in-game housing parties to invite players over for tabletop RP. THIS MUST HAPPEN.

Seriously. In a world full of adventure and danger, glory and gold awaiting us, what better to do than grab some snacks and a few brews, head over to a friends, and pretend to go on adventures?

You mean, aside from going on an actual adventure? Tongue

I love the idea of RPing D&D or something in a modern setting... but why characters in a fantasy setting would RP being in a different fantasy setting is beyond me. Then again, in these troubled times, Eorzeans are in need of escapism, I guess...

I figure they occasionally get bored... =P

RE: RP vs. Game Play - ArmachiA - 09-03-2013

Not to take a crap on the servers in yet another thread, but I haven't been RPing as much because of the server issues. I feel like if I'm on right now, I should be leveling, as I'm taking someone's spot who want to get on and level. I know, it's weird logic.

That being said, I've RPed a few times, though not as much as I would like. I'm just not really sure when to start RPing with my guild because most of them can't even get on and it would feel unfair to start a storyline without them on and...

I'm just so conflicted!

RE: RP vs. Game Play - LilMomoshi - 09-03-2013

Roleplay by yourself as you level! Remember, it's important to have a reason why you're massacring fields of cute things in order to gain some small favor from your teachers. And talking to yourself is only creepy in reality. Maybe.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Clover - 09-03-2013

I've only RPed in the forum so far because:

a) I got carried away by the initial hype for the game, since it was just released and I'm loving exploring it and learning many things.

b) My main character's story is stuck due to my partner's impossibility to RP with me *sweatdrops*. I'm going to give it a solution this week, though, as I want her to participate in this Sunday's event. My secondary character is still level 3 and stuck at Limsa Lominsa, while she's supposed to live in the desert *laughs*.

Hopefully, I'll be able to start my actual RP with both characters soon ^^

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Ronberku - 09-03-2013

I'm always the type of person who will at least do everything until endgame. Before actually roleplaying. Mostly because I like collecting all the armors and clothes that Ron can wear during roleplays. And also to explore the world and know every hidden corner of the world. That I could perhaps use in my roleplaying.

Like finding out that there are crates and other things you can /sit on without realising it.

And mostly, I tend to roleplay when I did most there is to do in the game. In a sense it provides me that extra game content during those times.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - LilMomoshi - 09-03-2013

I never hit level cap until near the end of Wrath of the Lich King, in WoW. I started playing it in January 2005. Roleplay first!

RE: RP vs. Game Play - E'irawen - 09-03-2013

I haven't really RPed much at all. Just once for a few minutes. Mostly it's been done over a linkpearl, but I feel a bit conflicted.

A fair amount of the groups have been RPing in higher level areas that I have no hope of getting to without being level 50 already, but both of my classes are only lv20 =\

I don't mind the outfits part so much. I can probably wing it as to why he's wearing a mustard yellow tabard with relish-green mittens that make him look like a personified hot dog.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Aleister - 09-04-2013

(09-02-2013, 08:12 PM)Remis Locke Wrote: I am a very strange case of Roleplayer. For some bizarre reason I feel the need to have reached the cap or at least obtained some amazing looking outfits before I can start roleplaying. Don’t ask me why, that must be my reward at the end, my end game.

On Final Fantasy XIV however, I’ve decided to throw that old-time tradition out of the window, I’ve just not got round to it yet. I’ve hit 30 and made myself a Paladin, as soon as the servers sort themselves out I’ll be putting all of my effort into getting Remis out there and meeting new people.

That and I need to search for a Free Company of like-minded roleplayers, I need to do some research.
This. I'm very much the same case. THOUGH I do tend to lean towards the PvE gameplay a tad more then the RP side but I get enough of both. I actually just recently finished the storyline of the game and just kinda goofing around post-game with crafting and what not because I haven't actually found any RP.. Well that is a lie I have found at least 3? But none of which I could jump in. We'll see after this maintance if I can get some RP and stop being a PvE addict for the time being. (Yeah.. I kinda blazed my ass from Early Access till now focusing on PvE cause of some reasons pointed out like the in-game issues and login though I did manage to collect storyline info and some important info from side quests.. If I forget I'll be taking my sweet time with my second character once he is made.)

(09-03-2013, 02:16 PM)Kaoru Wrote: I haven't really RPed much at all. Just once for a few minutes. Mostly it's been done over a linkpearl, but I feel a bit conflicted.

A fair amount of the groups have been RPing in higher level areas that I have no hope of getting to without being level 50 already, but both of my classes are only lv20 =\

I don't mind the outfits part so much. I can probably wing it as to why he's wearing a mustard yellow tabard with relish-green mittens that make him look like a personified hot dog.
Really now? I must be missing out.. I have not seen a drop of RP in the higher level areas.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Dubs - 09-04-2013

Right now RP seems to be a bit well....Roxbury. What do I mean by the Roxbury RP Analogy..well I'll narrate using this video listing certain time intervals to express my impression of current RP scenarios that I feel are going on at the moment for me anyways. RP is like a dance, it has to flow, there's timing and rhythm leading to cadence. Of course there are those uncomfortable tangents that get thrown into the mix....1017 for example...

Ya sometimes I feel like I'm one of these guys when observing RP.....
(NOTE: this does not reflect my personal RP etiquette, so if you get that impression...well that can't be helped.)

[youtube]rJSgpedXBpY[/youtube]
(REPLACE DANCING WITH RP)

1. 0:00-0:18s   Alright going to a Heavy RP eventSmile

2. 0:18s-0:31s    Wow RP everywhere, everyone's having a good time...where can I somehow insert myself and jump inBouncy

3: 0:33-1:02:  Send Tell: ((Wanna RP? No? *tries again* ((No? *again* Ok finally some action..HeartStarts RPHeart....then 2 other people come in already while you try to establish a foundation...@(&#@#!Frustrated

4.1:02-1:26 OK moving on to next venue, chastising my social awkward approach & deliveryDazed

5.1:26-1:35  Different event, somewhat more light to medium RPCool

6. 1:37-2:09    Let's try this again. /em Uses some emotes to facilitate an introduction and ease into it but unfortunately misunderstandings to who it's directed to ensue. Other RPers in vicinity confused and intercept but finally a response! No wait...those two are already RP'ing, you know what F it, I'm just going to interruptGeek Damn, just feels like I'm with the same 3 people the whole time- Uh oh kicked out of Host LS moderator.

6.  2:14-2:26  Basically how I feel about IC LS channel RP when everyone is all over Eorzea. It's like texting, only....not really immersive.

7.  2:30-       Interrupting an *ahem* intimate RP moment between two people. Gives it a shot anyways. Gets OOC bashed and ostracized.Tongue

8. 3:04-3:09 ERROR 90000Evil "What the hell is going on?" Log back in crossing fingers. No 1017 no 1017. QUE! 3:10 YES. All is well.

9. 3:13      Duty Finder dungeon RP attempts with non-RP people. Spoon feeding them insight into the multidimensional layered onion that is RP, but they look at you like you're crazy.......3:32 well don't know if I just settled or if I converted a non-RP person who might now want to dabble. SCORE!Huh I think.

3:39 Ooh I actually got a need on loot.Thumbsup