Hydaelyn Role-Players
Random Idea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Random Idea (/showthread.php?tid=5344)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Random Idea - LeCard - 11-05-2013

(11-04-2013, 11:01 PM)Madda Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 10:54 PM)Alothia Wrote: In reference to wanting to strictly be a healer, and not use offensive spells, I can tell you that Conjurers are the ones who tend to be more healer based, but they look down on people who use conjury to only heal. (This is revealed in that storyline).
I think that if you want to go that route, it could make an interesting story. But yes, Con is a much better healer choice than Arcanist, at least until you can get Scholar unlocked (But I haven't run those quests yet, so I can't tell you much other than that).
Hehe. Sorry for the confusion. Madda is back from learning more about them.

Madda was aiming for either an offensive spell caster (Black Mage, since Madda can't spell whatever class comes before that) or a Summoner.
The only problem I would have with a Child learning Arcanist spells by just asking around and not devoting themselves to any sort of Proper study is that Arcanist spells are based on Aetheric geometries(meaning high level math type stuff) While a child could learn to Chanel the elementals power for Conjuration (or even follow in the footsteps of the Child caster from the Conjuror quest-line) OR they could learn to Chanel their own Aetheric energies into Thaumaturge spells for black magic for some comic effect/damage. But the whole basis of the Arcanist line of casting is to understand the principles and math behind their geometries to cast their spells.

Though regardless of what Caster class is pursued from what I have seen here the child would be more of a comical effect character and likely not even be able to properly cast the level 10 spells. If you have played the Conjuror quest-line you will know that this can lead to some really terrible consequences. Simply put, magic isn't something that is safe in this world, every time you cast a spell you risk killing either yourself or something around you. While a child may be able to somewhat learn magic in the manner you described it would be very dangerous for both those around the child and the child themselves.

Edit: on the note of being a Summoner: To be a summoner one must first have defeated the Primal in battle and then call forth their essence for yet another battle to (for lack of a better term) enslave the primal's essence. this would require the Child the IN Character to have not only battled with a primal, but WON. Simply put I could never take that seriously.

frankly, any mage that would teach a passing child magic like it is a parlor trick in this game would be a terrible person and not likely to exist in this game for that reason.

RE: Random Idea - Raccoon - 11-05-2013

(11-04-2013, 10:36 PM)Madda Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 10:00 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm not entirely sure that I would be comfortable being around a child character.
Not to sound defensive, but can you explain why?

In addition to Liadan's reply, nobody's going to want to include the child character in anything. If you just want it for aggravating people in the Adventurer's Guild and all, that's one thing. But nobody in their right mind (and do you really want a kid around someone who's not?) would take a kid along on a fight with a Primal or into a dungeon.

Also, though I've never heard of it happening, I imagine there's the risk that playing a kid could get all kinds of uncomfortable invitations from the ERP crowd. Unless that's your thing, in which case... ew.

RE: Random Idea - Freemoon - 11-05-2013

While I don't really have a problem with the idea of someone playing a child character, I just don't think this game lends itself all that well to the idea.  I could see someone in the young/mid teens (maybe 14 to 16), but any younger than that seems a bit iffy for a multitude of reasons, several of which have been stated.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play the idea, just that it might not get the reception you are hoping for.

RE: Random Idea - Madda - 11-05-2013

*scribbles notes down*

Madda sees.

Now, what if this child character were just one that wished to become "the greatest *insert melee class here* ever"?

RE: Random Idea - LeCard - 11-06-2013

(11-05-2013, 08:15 PM)Madda Wrote: *scribbles notes down*

Madda sees.

Now, what if this child character were just one that wished to become "the greatest *insert melee class here* ever"?
still the issues listed above by a few people of a child being around. But it is not  so dangerous for some Pugilist(for example) to teach a kid in passing how to punch properly, or kick. Far less dangerous than teaching them Fire 1. And plenty of kinds play with wooden swords, or a staff as though it were a spear. Archery or Ax wielding on the other hand would be awkward to try and teach a kid in passing.

RE: Random Idea - Raccoon - 11-06-2013

A little Lala kid tried shooting Seth and another member of the Tower during Early Start or soon after release with little wooden pointed sticks. It was annoying to put it lightly. He would have drowned the thing if he could have gotten ahold of it and there were fewer witnesses.

RE: Random Idea - Sil'tel Ferima - 11-08-2013

(11-05-2013, 02:54 AM)Raccoon Wrote: Also, though I've never heard of it happening, I imagine there's the risk that playing a kid could get all kinds of uncomfortable invitations from the ERP crowd. Unless that's your thing, in which case... ew.
Wait... "ERP"? Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what is that? Erotic? ...

RE: Random Idea - LiadansWhisper - 11-08-2013

(11-08-2013, 03:22 AM)Sil Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 02:54 AM)Raccoon Wrote: Also, though I've never heard of it happening, I imagine there's the risk that playing a kid could get all kinds of uncomfortable invitations from the ERP crowd. Unless that's your thing, in which case... ew.
Wait... "ERP"? Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what is that? Erotic? ...

Role-Play of a sexual nature.  "Erotic Role Play" is the technical term, I suppose.