Hydaelyn Role-Players
★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ (/showthread.php?tid=6282)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - LiadansWhisper - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 12:56 AM)Rinette Wrote: I'm surprised no one as mentioned that you can buy one on one time with the hosts and maids for gil or that they are referring to everyone as "masters and mistresses". That gives off ERP vibes to me. It's nice to see that there are RPers on other realms aside from Balmung and Gilgamesh but, in my opinion, it's events like these that give RPers bad names. A massage shop with happy ending options would be more subtle than this.

I didn't catch the gil part, but yeah, they're calling everyone Master or Mistress (emphasis on the capitalization, btw).  This isn't RP, or even ERP.  It's basically cyber...they have clubs like this in Second Life, too. lol

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Almil - 02-04-2014

^ Yup I was surprised that they have prices listed, and I assume it's real gil and not the RP kind. However I was too lazy to go read the thread on the official forums to see how it was mentioned which sex the player needs to be IRL.

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Oli! - 02-04-2014

Quoted from an organizer on the third page of the original thread:

Quote:While we have not finalized our Rules & Guidelines as of yet-- when we do please refer to this post we've already reserved. We will be taking extreme actions when it comes to ANY type of explicit sexual conduct. We're completely fine with flirtatious and innocent displays of affections. But we do not condone or support any sort of explicit cybering or player harassment.

We will be following FFXIVs ToS when it comes to harassment for not only our Maids & Hosts but also our Masters and Mistresses.

Thank you for your concerns ~Nari

Come on guys, let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt here, no need to dismiss it without so much as a 'good luck.'

(02-04-2014, 01:06 AM)Oli! Wrote: Come on guys, let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt here, no need to dismiss it without so much as a 'good luck.'

Sorry.  Any time verification of RL gender is "necessary" for an "RP" event, it's not RP.

RL Gender should have absolutely nothing to do with an RP event. And if they're so concerned about protecting the workers from player harassment, they would never be verifying their RL gender in the first place. That's a huuuuuuuuge opening for harassment.

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Rinette - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 12:58 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I didn't catch the gil part, but yeah, they're calling everyone Master or Mistress (emphasis on the capitalization, btw).  This isn't RP, or even ERP.  It's basically cyber...they have clubs like this in Second Life, too. lol

It's in the second post on the official forum. 3,000 gil gets you 10 minutes with a maid/host who is readily available and 5,000 for a maid/host of your choice. They should've just followed the trend of date auctions.

(02-04-2014, 01:14 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 01:06 AM)Oli! Wrote: Come on guys, let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt here, no need to dismiss it without so much as a 'good luck.'

Sorry.  Any time verification of RL gender is "necessary" for an "RP" event, it's not RP.

RL Gender should have absolutely nothing to do with an RP event.  And if they're so concerned about protecting the workers from player harassment, they would never be verifying their RL gender in the first place.  That's a huuuuuuuuge opening for harassment.

As far as what I can see in the posts, nowhere does it say it's an RP event. It looks like it's open to people of all servers and play-types. It's fine if you don't want to go (and honestly, it's not my type of thing either), but seeing as it's quite clear that they put quite a bit of time and thought into constructing an event the way they want to, I think it would be nice to at least respect what they're doing here.

As for the gender thing, I'll just post in this comment what I thought earlier.

Oli! Wrote:I can only speculate, but considering the nature of the event, the fact that the event is on a non-RP server and is welcoming to all players (and not just those who RP), and is not (at least where I can see) explicitly stated as being an RP event (just that it could be if people wanted to show up and RP there), the reason for the gender confirmation would be for those who do not RP and are looking for companionship of some sort, would be my guess.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing at all, I don't think.

That's all I'll say on it, really.

EDIT: As an afterthought, on the flipside, it could also simply be because providing someone's real gender would provide the necessary OOC buffer needed to prevent people getting too far into things, which could be uncomfortable for those who are hosting the event.

So I suppose either possibility would be applicable and appropriate.

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Cato - 02-04-2014

(02-03-2014, 11:28 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 11:22 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: It's said to be an RP event, and hey, I'm sure there's RPers on Sargatanas. If they'd like to advertise their event here with a one-shot post, I'm fine with it, personally. Smile

Mmm.  Any event that has to verify the RL genders of the players isn't an RP event.  At least not in my book.  But, that's just my opinion!

If nothing else I think it's well worth advising those interested to be cautious. As much as I'd love to give people the benefit of the doubt the grim reality is that a lot of shady stuff goes on in MMO's. Across a number of MMO's I've unfortunately witnessed a lot of these seemingly innocent events end up being revealed as cleverly disguised attempts to lure people into engaging in ERP.

Now, ERP itself isn't something I'm necessarily against provided it's between consenting individuals of an appropriate age and level of maturity. It is, however, something that really doesn't need to go beyond the game itself. There's no shortage of potential for drama that can turn very nasty pretty fast.

Hopefully it all turns out well and everyone who attends has an enjoyable and drama free experience, though!

(02-04-2014, 01:20 AM)Oli! Wrote: EDIT: As an afterthought, on the flipside, it could also simply be because providing someone's real gender would provide the necessary OOC buffer needed to prevent people getting too far into things, which could be uncomfortable for those who are hosting the event.

I'll be honest...I have no idea how this could act as a buffer to such a thing when they specifically say the Hosts and Hostesses have "no preference" as to gender.

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - E'zentsa - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 12:56 AM)Rinette Wrote: I'm surprised no one as mentioned that you can buy one on one time with the hosts and maids for gil or that they are referring to everyone as "masters and mistresses". That gives off ERP vibes to me. It's nice to see that there are RPers on other realms aside from Balmung and Gilgamesh but, in my opinion, it's events like these that give RPers bad names. A massage shop with happy ending options would be more subtle than this.
I have to disagree. Calling people mistress and master isn't ERP at at all in fact it is proper for a maid to reply to the person she is serving mistress/master. There are several on Balmung that call the people they work for mater but don't ERP. ...Including myself..

(02-04-2014, 02:15 AM)E Wrote: I have to disagree. Calling people mistress and master isn't ERP at at all in fact it is proper for a maid to reply to the person she is serving mistress/master. There are several on Balmung that call the people they work for mater but don't ERP. ...Including myself..

It's less to do with master/mistress and more to do with Master/Mistress.

I'm really not sure how to get any clearer than that without being explicit.

(02-04-2014, 02:12 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 01:20 AM)Oli! Wrote: EDIT: As an afterthought, on the flipside, it could also simply be because providing someone's real gender would provide the necessary OOC buffer needed to prevent people getting too far into things, which could be uncomfortable for those who are hosting the event.

I'll be honest...I have no idea how this could act as a buffer to such a thing when they specifically say the Hosts and Hostesses have "no preference" as to gender.

As in, someone attending the event being extra pushy, thinking that they'll score (in whatever way) because the female Miqo'te serving them is an actual girl, when that may not be the case. Although one could argue that revealing genders makes others easier targets for said people, one would assume that the fact that they know what this event is about, and the fact that they are participating of their own free will means that they are prepared for that sort of situation, while the gender-identification eliminates the other, giving them less awkwardness to deal with. This could especially be the case given that often people feel "betrayed" when a character is a different gender from their player, as silly as one may find that to be. I've seen quite a few threads in a myriad of communities about that sort of thing, and there may even be a few here (though I haven't taken the time to look). Even if the servers have no preference, it can still get awkward in a myriad of ways.

No Preference Within Reason, one could say.

(02-04-2014, 02:25 AM)Oli! Wrote: As in, someone attending the event being extra pushy, thinking that they'll score (in whatever way) because the female Miqo'te serving them is an actual girl, when that may not be the case. Although one could argue that revealing genders makes others easier targets for said people, one would assume that the fact that they know what this event is about, and the fact that they are participating of their own free will means that they are prepared for that sort of situation, while the gender-identification eliminates the other, giving them less awkwardness to deal with. Even if the servers have no preference, it can still get awkward in a myriad of ways.

No Preference Within Reason, one could say.

Okay, but it wouldn't be an issue at all if they didn't reveal the RL gender of the participants.  Seriously, I don't know if you understand exactly how creepy and OOC and just...oh my god, that is so fucking creepy.  >.<

Revealing RL gender is the first step towards people "expecting things" from you in an OOC capacity.  Either this is an RP event, or it's not.  If it's not an RP event, it should not be advertised on an RP forum.  If it is an RP event, OOC genders of participants should never have been revealed.

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Asgarn - 02-04-2014

Somebody said... Massages with happy endings? o.o *Is intrigued*

But in all seriousness, I for one am quite glad to hear of this event. Of course, the whole ERP-implications and gender verification things raise some eyebrows (my own included), but it's progress. And I suppose it opens up these sort of events to non-RPers, also. (Take that as you will. Could be good, could be not.)

It's not my sort of roleplaying, unless I'm feeling extremely camp, I turn FABULOUS on Saturdays. So yeah, I guess I'm glad it's not on Balmung. But at the end of the day, as it's not on Balmung or Gilgamesh, it's not really any of my business and I wish them luck with the whole thing. Moogle

(02-04-2014, 02:33 AM)Asgarn Wrote: Somebody said... Massages with happy endings? o.o *Is intrigued*

Eh hem.  Yes.  Happy Endings.  The Little Death.  The Big O.

Thumbsup

RE: ★ ~* Love Love Star Maid Café *~ ★ - Faye - 02-04-2014

Even if it's not exactly an RP event... the real life gender thing is still weird. If the event doesn't have sexual implications, why does real life gender matter? Why would anyone care? I'm fairly certain giving away someone's real life gender would encourage people to harass them rather than deter them in most cases. We all know the stereotype about female gamers attracting attention, and it's rooted in some truth. On top of that, I know men who play female characters who have attracted admirers, told their admirers that they're a man in real life in hopes it would deter their admirers, and only been accused of lying instead. I've also known male players who were harassed by women (and other men). I don't see how disclosing anyone's real life gender could deter harassment in most situations.