Hydaelyn Role-Players
Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it (/showthread.php?tid=6287)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Naunet - 02-03-2014

As per synaesthetic:

Quote:blm advice in coil hmm? turn 1 nuke nuke nuke nuke try to stay awake. turn 2 switch to bard. turn 3 lol. turn 4 nuke nuke nuke nuke nuke OHGODSOLDIER RUNAWAY nuke nuke nuke NUKE turn 5 switch to smn.

^Pretty much accurate. Except you'd be BLM in turn 2 (synae goes BRD cause we only have one full time BRD and we want a second for easier interrupts xD), which means... well, at some point you'll break from nuking to pass Allagan Rot to the next person in the rotation and then you'll go back to nuking.

Caduceus is really as simple as it sounds. Unless you're assigned to deal with the slimes in p1, you'll do nothing but burn the boss and move off the glowing platforms. And try not to fall asleep. ^^

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - LiadansWhisper - 02-03-2014

Oh, and as a Black Mage...please try not to murder yourself by hitting the target with the reflect.

Please.  Sad

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - synaesthetic - 02-03-2014

Nau's reposting of my silly response from Skype aside, here's my advice:

Turn 1
This is really not a big deal for most of your DPS, except monks since they have to deal with the tail swipe (though even that can be strategically used in your raid's favor). Basically what you want to do is fling fireballs at the boss. It's really that simple. There are almost no mechanics for you to deal with as ranged DPS; you only need to avoid the snake spit every so often, which is easy and does very little damage.

If you do what I do on T1, which is to say, stand up on one of the higher platforms and drag a slime down if the top platforms flash (due to the placement, the OT can't get to them in time), it's still... not really any harder. Switch to the slime when it spawns, spam Blizzard on it until it's down to about 5% HP, and then just slowly kinda drag it toward Caduceus. He will spit on you, and your healers will need to keep you up. Help them out by burning Manaward.

Turn 2
As Nau mentioned I have only done Turn 2 on BLM a very, very few times. I've done this turn as Scholar and Bard far more often, so my advice is more general here.

This is an unfriendly fight for BLM, especially if you take the normal route and kill the Defense, Monitoring and Disposal nodes. Killing these three mini-ADSes will mean that the real ADS will have a buff that reduces magic damage dealt to it by 30%, so you're already kinda starting from a bad position. Ask your bard to use Foe Requiem about halfway through the fight, once the tanks have established a good threat lead.

None of the general-spammy AE (Vacuum Wave) should interrupt your casts. The main things you have to pay attention to are Piercing Laser (just move out of the way), void zones (just move out of them if one drops on you) and Allagan Rot. Ballast (the pac-man AE) won't affect you since you're ranged; just don't get too close to the ADS.

Allagan Rot is usually the mechanic that kills people on the ADS (assuming they don't derp on interrupts). Whatever number you're assigned in the rotation, always prioritize moving Allagan Rot to the person you're supposed to move it to. You need to hold the debuff until it has five seconds remaining and then move it to the person you need to hand it off to. Any earlier and their immunity will prevent it from leaving you. This is the primary mechanic of the ADS; Rot will oneshot your entire raid if it expires on someone without being passed.

(02-03-2014, 05:29 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Oh, and as a Black Mage...please try not to murder yourself by hitting the target with the reflect.

Please.  Sad

I've done that before, not realizing that I'm on the wrong one, wondering why the hell it's life isn't going down--ohhh... that's why...

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aldotsk - 02-03-2014

Imagine if BLM Limit Break LV 3 reflects the entire thing back...

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aysun - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 02:24 PM)Naunet Wrote: Regarding turn 2's "enrage method"... I really don't recommend it purely because it's a complete cheesing of the mechanics. The actual fight isn't hard at all and learning to deal with multiple boss mechanics is an important step in becoming a seasoned raider.

OT: THANK YOU.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aldotsk - 02-03-2014

I would agree and disagree on Enrage method. It IS an easy way out to clear Turn 2, but for those who have been running many times has still failed to clear it normally because of lack of gears and DPS. Honestly, the worst part is when you are trying to fight ADS withing 4~6 clicks and you can't seem to kill it in that amount of time. 

I would suggest to try and do enrage and do it normal way afterwards because with the way people want to get Allagan gears right now is just a milestone if you try it regular way.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - LiadansWhisper - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 05:53 PM)synaesthetic Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 05:29 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Oh, and as a Black Mage...please try not to murder yourself by hitting the target with the reflect.

Please.  Sad

I've done that before, not realizing that I'm on the wrong one, wondering why the hell it's life isn't going down--ohhh... that's why...

All it takes is like, TWO CRITS IN A ROW and suddenly you're going, "uh...wait...uh..."

(02-03-2014, 06:58 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I would agree and disagree on Enrage method. It IS an easy way out to clear Turn 2, but for those who have been running many times has still failed to clear it normally because of lack of gears and DPS. Honestly, the worst part is when you are trying to fight ADS withing 4~6 clicks and you can't seem to kill it in that amount of time. 

I would suggest to try and do enrage and do it normal way afterwards because with the way people want to get Allagan gears right now is just a milestone if you try it regular way.

Eh.  I'm pretty Lassiez Faire about the whole thing.  If you can't get past Turn 2 the regular way, you won't make it past Turn 4 anyway.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Sophia_Grave - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 06:55 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 02:24 PM)Naunet Wrote: Regarding turn 2's "enrage method"... I really don't recommend it purely because it's a complete cheesing of the mechanics. The actual fight isn't hard at all and learning to deal with multiple boss mechanics is an important step in becoming a seasoned raider.

OT: THANK YOU.

Typically I'd agree, but its incredibly tough to find a non-static willing to pass rot, and even fewer that are willing to teach a newbie to do it. Then, there's the players who became Coil-ready after enrage was discovered and don't even know what rot passing is.

Enrage is a snorefest, but its pretty much his only option unless he has seven friends willing to do and teach the hard way.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Kage - 02-03-2014

To be honest, I'll be watching the videos soon after I make a few CT runs...

But all day while I was at work the words "what in the world is allagan rot anyway?" swirled in my head. I pretty much joined in during the time my friends were wondering if Enrage method would be considered an exploit or not. (I have a vague idea of what it means from my friends and what people have posted).

(02-03-2014, 08:16 PM)ExKage Wrote: To be honest, I'll be watching the videos soon after I make a few CT runs...

But all day while I was at work the words "what in the world is allagan rot anyway?" swirled in my head. I pretty much joined in during the time my friends were wondering if Enrage method would be considered an exploit or not. (I have a vague idea of what it means from my friends and what people have posted).

This is my opinion, but I don't consider it an exploit.  I am of the opinion that Square has made many raid fights at this point.  They know the difference between a "hard" enrage and a "soft" enrage.

A "hard" enrage is essentially an insta-kill mechanic.  It's the, "You took too damn long, bye" moment.  There is a hard enrage in BCOB - Twintania has a hard enrage.

A "soft" enrage is generally when whatever mechanic kicks in at that point doesn't kill you, but makes it increasingly difficult to keep people alive - i.e. you're running out of time.  Examples of this in BCOB are Caduceus (your tanks will eventually run out of CDs, and your healers out of mana), Turn 2 (high damage AoE that doesn't outright kill but requires extensive healing that will run your healers out of mana), and Turn 4 (there's a very similar, but much less damaging, AoE that goes out if you take too long killing the last Dreadnaught, that will run your healers OOM and/or cause tank death (due to having to spam AoE heals to keep everyone else alive rather than healing the tank directly) if you don't kill the Dread ASAP).

Square knows what a soft enrage is, and they know what a hard enrage is, and if they intended for Turn 2 to have a hard enrage, it would have a hard enrage.  It does not have a hard enrage, and I can only conclude that this was an intentional decision on the part of the developers.  Did they foresee people using this as part of a strategy?  Hard to say.  Probably not, as this would not be the first time that players did something developers didn't expect.  That said, you are not "glitching" anything in this fight by employing the Enrage Strat, so it's not really an exploit.  Plus, if it was, Square would have already banned people just like they banned groups that killed Twintania by glitching her out.

As far as Allagan Rot goes, it's a mechanic in the fight that has to be passed around to ranged.  It's passed by proximity, and puts two debuffs on you.  One prevents you from receiving the Rot again for a certain amount of time.  The other is the rot itself.  The rot counts down (buff duration gets lower).  If it reaches 0 before you've passed it onto someone without the prevention debuff, everyone in the raid dies.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Naunet - 02-03-2014

I never said it was an exploit, just that the strategy cheapens the fight and really doesn't help you in preparing your personal raid awareness for the final turn. Especially if you're new to raiding, I think it's well worth learning to do it the "right" way.

(02-03-2014, 08:59 PM)Naunet Wrote: I never said it was an exploit, just that the strategy cheapens the fight and really doesn't help you in preparing your personal raid awareness for the final turn. Especially if you're new to raiding, I think it's well worth learning to do it the "right" way.

That's why I was responding to him. :-P  He specifically asked if it was an exploit.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aleister - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 07:40 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 06:58 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I would agree and disagree on Enrage method. It IS an easy way out to clear Turn 2, but for those who have been running many times has still failed to clear it normally because of lack of gears and DPS. Honestly, the worst part is when you are trying to fight ADS withing 4~6 clicks and you can't seem to kill it in that amount of time. 

Eh.  I'm pretty Lassiez Faire about the whole thing.  If you can't get past Turn 2 the regular way, you won't make it past Turn 4 anyway.
Pretty much what Liadan has said, sadly if you don't have 7 friends or a FC willing to teach the intended way of handling Turn 2 you won't get far in T4.

Just throwing this random piece of info out there but I noticed (yesterday to be exact) That Cad can be singled tanked with a WAR with 8k+ hp and can handle its own CDs well with the same raid comp idea for T2 enrage strat. Only discovered this after the MT died and I tanked a enraged Cad with 8 stacks for over a minute with two healers. XD But this wouldn't benefit raiders at all for the real fights like T4 and T5 unless they can do coil regularly without evening flinching.

Despite learning this and sharing it, I and hope majority here prefer to do raids as intended first and know it like the back of my hand and flawlessly kill the boss before even trying these cheap easy methods discovered to kill bosses easier. Its more fun and provides skills, no? Rolleyes

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Aleister - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 05:15 PM)ExKage Wrote: I don't know who the real lead is in it. Either our FC leader or one of my friends...

I tried to avoid the DL because its a cowl that woukd take up the hat and the chest. I'm really hoping a crimson vest pops up on me tonight
If you're looking to poke into Coil ASAP (Which Yoshi has stated its contents will be the hardest in the game for now.) I wouldn't neglect gear just because it has something you dislike for example, a cowl. Only gimping yourself and hurting the rest of the team plus it only requires philo tomes to buy it which.. aren't a big deal haha and you could easily just grind myth for 2 weeks and obtain the BLM i90 chestpiece which is better than the CT stuff. If you really dislike the cowl, you could just equip the DL gear for hard dungeons and raids only and then swap to something you prefer on downtime, I use to do that. Heck I still do, just with snowman gear now.

Always bring your A game to raid content you're progressing and even afterwards. That is how I see it though everyone has different opinions.