Hydaelyn Role-Players
Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified (/showthread.php?tid=7076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Zhavi - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 12:53 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: Honestly... I'm going to be flamed and hated for this statement but... if you know how to make gil. It's significantly easy to raise. I'll give an example, I coordinated with my FC what I needed done. In -one- month we raised over 53m with just 15 players. I made some mistakes and discovered even better ways midway in the month otherwise I could have seen us raising 100m. Granted, I spent ALOT of time in game doing stuff to set up for this agenda. It was worth it. I can tell you there is all sorts of ways to make gil. Also if your worried about gil on alts. Have a friend you trust, transfer gil or use a dummy FC like a bank. There is alternatives. If some folks need pointers on how to make gil, I'd be more than happy to help. I'm a bit shocked on legacy a large is going to be 2m, that's going to be difficult for any new FC trying to buy a large down the road. Unless personal is going to be designed in a different system. Either way, feel free to pm me if your curious, I'm more than happy to help out for those concerned on gil.

Nahh, no hate. I think the issue is just time investment, and where you're willing to spend your time. I've made decent amounts of money in various games over the years, but compared to people I know who always are rich compared to the average player, I've never been as willing to put in that time or get as skilled (though, I think most of the time it's just attention to detail and being aware of where the market will go). Especially with FFXIV, it's more that if I'm in game either I want to be casually leveling or rping at this point in time. I'm just not dedicated enough! But I always did admire people who put in the effort and are able to sustain the little daily necessities to make lots of money.

And ehh, I play a poor character anyways, so unless they offer crappy looking housing it's probably better that she remains without a permanent home. Wink

(Though Sastra -- your offer of innrooms would probably be perfect for Zhi, so long as they're not too nice. I mean, she's like as not to get places infested with fleas or lice. Heh heh heh)

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Elisea Renyven - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 01:25 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 12:53 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: Honestly... I'm going to be flamed and hated for this statement but... if you know how to make gil. It's significantly easy to raise. I'll give an example, I coordinated with my FC what I needed done. In -one- month we raised over 53m with just 15 players. I made some mistakes and discovered even better ways midway in the month otherwise I could have seen us raising 100m. Granted, I spent ALOT of time in game doing stuff to set up for this agenda. It was worth it. I can tell you there is all sorts of ways to make gil. Also if your worried about gil on alts. Have a friend you trust, transfer gil or use a dummy FC like a bank. There is alternatives. If some folks need pointers on how to make gil, I'd be more than happy to help. I'm a bit shocked on legacy a large is going to be 2m, that's going to be difficult for any new FC trying to buy a large down the road. Unless personal is going to be designed in a different system. Either way, feel free to pm me if your curious, I'm more than happy to help out for those concerned on gil.

Nahh, no hate. I think the issue is just time investment, and where you're willing to spend your time. I've made decent amounts of money in various games over the years, but compared to people I know who always are rich compared to the average player, I've never been as willing to put in that time or get as skilled (though, I think most of the time it's just attention to detail and being aware of where the market will go). Especially with FFXIV, it's more that if I'm in game either I want to be casually leveling or rping at this point in time. I'm just not dedicated enough! But I always did admire people who put in the effort and are able to sustain the little daily necessities to make lots of money.

And ehh, I play a poor character anyways, so unless they offer crappy looking housing it's probably better that she remains without a permanent home. Wink

(Though Sastra -- your offer of innrooms would probably be perfect for Zhi, so long as they're not too nice. I mean, she's like as not to get places infested with fleas or lice. Heh heh heh)

That's actually a big part of it, seeing how market prices fluctuate. You don't want to flood the market on one resource. I usually do a few things and this may help others. Gathering is king of gil making for most part. I look at specific items used frequently in crafting, and then I sell those on the market board. There's other tactics, but that's something a person can do for maybe an hour, get some resources sell it.. make 20-30k, if not more. Depending on the gathering level etc.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Zhavi - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 01:29 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: That's actually a big part of it, seeing how market prices fluctuate. You don't want to flood the market on one resource. I usually do a few things and this may help others. Gathering is king of gil making for most part. I look at specific items used frequently in crafting, and then I sell those on the market board. There's other tactics, but that's something a person can do for maybe an hour, get some resources sell it.. make 20-30k, if not more. Depending on the gathering level etc.

Mhm, and that's probably why I never could sustain stuff like that for very long -- it always feels like an obligation to me, and feeling like I'm obligated to do something in a video game every day or every few days eventually kills off all desire to even log in. Even not related to making money -- the dailies for Mists of Pandaria eventually aggravated me to the point that I burnt out on raiding. Granted, there was other stuff going on irl for me that contributed to the burnout, but I hated those dailies. Comparatively, I love farming and doing background administrative tasks, but I would do that because I liked helping my guild. I was never asked or felt obligated to prepare stuff for raids.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - cuideag - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 10:24 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: ^ IT's going to be both. A personal apartment in 2.3 and then your own house shortly after.

There was an article the other day that said this:

As for personal housing, you’ll need a level 50 character and get up to a certain rank in the Grand Company. This will be introduced sometime after the Free Company’s personal rooms are made available in Patch 2.3, and the size will be a little larger than the ones at the inns. The prices will be around 850,000 gil, which Yoshida says might be a bit too much, so it could be lower.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/01/final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborns-marriage-system/#7JP7MTH5PttrsQw0.99

850k, if they all aren't one size, is probably for the small house. I have enough for the medium house on Armi, though if I wanted to push it I could get her the large. That's of course they don't decide housing is going to be all small houses only. Loki is more of an apartment girl so my plan for her is to live off the FC house. I'm not sure if the apartment is the same price? It's not clear if they are charging for the FC apartment at all.

Anyway, it doesn't really bother me, the price. Shockingly, there aren't THAT many money sinks in this game and unless you're burning through all the crafts like a boss you're just not spending your money (I have one craft to 50, and I mostly just sit on the money I make if I'm not donating to the Guild Bank) so it does not surprise me at all that housing is going to be the big money sink for people. Other games that have Free Housing probably have other money sinks at the end of the game to compensate. This one really doesn't.

It's also a little easier to make money now-a-days with the gil rewards FOR EVERYTHING, so I'm actually glad they gave us this much notice so people can save up if they want one.

^ ^ ^ This, basically. I'm not bothered by it. Makes sense to me to put time in and actually play the game to take advantage of some of the perks. But I suppose I'm the type of player who doesn't like seeing MMOs turn too casual friendly. Chances are I won't be buying one for my alt but ICly she isn't the type to settle down, anyway. Jajara will hopefully get herself a cozy little place in Ul'dah once she stops spending all her gil on stupid hats and things.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Kailia - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 11:48 AM)Naunet Wrote: @Kailia: The land can't possibly be under Grand Company "jurisdiction", because the Grand Companies are not governmental bodies; they're simply military units. And even if they were, it shouldn't matter because this is fluff content and it should be accessible to everyone from the start.

No actually the housing areas do fall under Grand Company Jurisdiction. Outside the Goblet, the npc is a member of the Immortal Flames. He sends you into the housing area to meet another flame npc. The company set aside the land for adventurers, in the hopes of getting adventurers to settle down in their land and become citizens to fight for their cause.

Why do you think Free Companies HAVE to be rank 6 or higher to even purchase land for their house? And personal housing, you HAVE to be a certain rank to even get a house as well. The above goblet example, echoes to the serpents and maelstrom. A level 1 is an unknown to these Grand Companies. So they aren't going to just hand out land that they control, to some unknown entity. So naturally, you need to prove yourself. So you need to be level 50. Easy to achieve. Next you have to be a certain rank in your chosen grand company. These are all perfectly reasonable requirements.

And nothing is ever free in Eorzea. So if you want to buy land, better have the gil to do it with. Two of my friends have 900k saved up already. Me, I'm going to as I said, take a personal room in the FC cottage for my character. IC, she's a kid who has very little gil, so doesn't make sense for her to even have land of her own. Maybe later down the road. But even if she ICly had the gil, her story is keeping her around mist, where as, I'd prefer her to have a house in lavender beds. So since her story isn't taking her to living in the shroud, and the FC cottage is in mist, makes sense for her to stay there.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Naunet - 05-03-2014

Like I said, I don't care if the game presents housing as owned by the GCs, or owned by the Primals, or as freakin' communes. It doesn't matter. It's a game feature. It's fluff content.  It has no business being restricted to level 50 characters behind a GC rank wall and costing crap tons of money.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - C'kayah Polaali - 05-03-2014

I totally agree with Naunet here. I can understand the point of view of folks who say "It's not so bad", and "there are already so few money sinks in game", but at the same time it just feels like needless stinginess to me.

I've played a lot of MMOs. In some of those I've grown quite wealthy. In Final Fantasy, on the other hand, I've mainly just RPed. I have a level 50 character, and I do some endgame content, but I mainly play the game to RP. I think my bank topped out at about 100k, but I donated most of that to my FC as a symbolic gesture towards getting a bigger FC house. There's simply no way I'm going to be able to afford personal housing without radically changing the way I choose to play, and it's simply not worth it to me to do so. Which is a little sad, because personal housing is really a piece of fluff content which is right up the alley of a roleplayer.

It is interesting to compare housing in FFXIV to housing in other games. Someone already pointed out FFXI. In Lord of the Rings Online, you can buy a small house with the money you get from questing up until level 50 (the level cap at the time housing was introduced), even assuming you spent a bunch on gear along the way. If you spent a very little amount of time farming, you could afford a deluxe house. EverQuest 2 gave you a free inn room, and larger houses were easily affordable by characters far lower than max level. Star Trek Online doesn't have housing, but you can enter your ship, invite others and roleplay without spending a dime. So what is it about SE where they feel that the only way to buy housing is to farm gil? Nothing against farming gil, but it's not why I pay to play this game.

(05-03-2014, 01:51 PM)Naunet Wrote: Like I said, I don't care if the game presents housing as owned by the GCs, or owned by the Primals, or as freakin' communes. It doesn't matter. It's a game feature. It's fluff content.  It has no business being restricted to level 50 characters behind a GC rank wall and costing crap tons of money.

That then, is where we differ on opinions. To me, games are about the journey. Set a goal, journey and work to reach the goal. World of Warcraft made one major mistake. They cut the journey out and made it so casual friendly there's 0 challenge, and now thanks to their recent decisions, people can skip from level 1 and go straight to level cap of 90, by tossing them $60.

Yes, housing is a game feature. Yes it is fluff content. But if one wants to have fluff content and access features such as this, then it needs to be earned. Even games like lord of the rings online, made you work for a house. You couldn't get a house till level 15, and even then, you needed gold to even get one. Gold was, the last time I played it, pretty difficult to get.

Overall, I feel SE is doing housing right. In this game, we are adventurer's and hinted from the story, we are from distant lands, complete strangers in Eorzea, even if our characters IC, are from Eorzea. So we have to earn our lands, our houses, our glamours, everything. It's all part of an adventurer's life.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Naunet - 05-03-2014

To add to your list, Rift provides starter dimensions to everyone who completes the unlocking quest (which you can access at like level 5 or somesuch), which are small but just as functional as any other dimension, and you can earn "better" ones by completing content or earning plat. WildStar provides everyone with their own land plot at level 10, and though it does cost some money to fill up the various plugs, a small house is extremely cheap and more than affordable for a level 10. ArcheAge housing is available as soon as you have enough gold to purchase a deed, which can be quite early in the game as some are fairly cheap. I'm sure there are other examples out there, as well.

@K'ailia: I said nothing about being unwilling to put effort into a feature, but the "journey" does not need to be entirely frontloaded. The journey is best experienced when you are actually experiencing the content - i.e. when you're decorating/upgrading/etc your home. Don't make me jump through hoops just to be able to START the journey. SE has done fluff content horribly, horribly wrong almost without exception.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Magellan - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 02:15 PM)Naunet Wrote: . Don't make me jump through hoops just to be able to START the journey. SE has done fluff content horribly, horribly wrong almost without exception.

This. In all of its content, SE has appeased exclusively to the grinders. There is a rather large casual market out there folks, with active real lives, who don't want to spend the limited amount of time they have in game doing nothing but farming gold for perks other games give out cheaply or free. Fifteen bucks a month should give us access to the game's content regardless of how many hours we are able to put in on a given day.

It should be fun to decorate a house, not a thankless chore that feels like a job just to get the house in the first place. Because this is a game, not real life. I shouldn't feel like I have to take out a mortgage in a virtual world.

(05-03-2014, 02:15 PM)Naunet Wrote: To add to your list, Rift provides starter dimensions to everyone who completes the unlocking quest (which you can access at like level 5 or somesuch), which are small but just as functional as any other dimension, and you can earn "better" ones by completing content or earning plat. WildStar provides everyone with their own land plot at level 10, and though it does cost some money to fill up the various plugs, a small house is extremely cheap and more than affordable for a level 10. ArcheAge housing is available as soon as you have enough gold to purchase a deed, which can be quite early in the game as some are fairly cheap. I'm sure there are other examples out there, as well.

@K'ailia: I said nothing about being unwilling to put effort into a feature, but the "journey" does not need to be entirely frontloaded. The journey is best experienced when you are actually experiencing the content - i.e. when you're decorating/upgrading/etc your home. Don't make me jump through hoops just to be able to START the journey. SE has done fluff content horribly, horribly wrong almost without exception.

Not every game is going to do things your way or ways you like. To me, there are multiple journeys. All start like so:

- Oh there's a goal I'd like to meet!
- What are the requirements to get to this goal?
- *begins working to meet requirements*
- Yay met the requirements! Now I am halfway there!
- *Gets land and house*
- Awesome! Almost done!
- *Decorates till satisfied*
- Yay! Goal met! I am a happy camper!

The journey doesn't start at decorating. The journey starts the moment you decide you want a house, and you begin the journey to achieve that goal. I think SE has done fluff content superbly.

There should be no shortcuts in games. These rules aren't harsh either. Anyone can get to level 50 easily. And you can easily rank up in grand companies with some effort. And gil wise, dailies, roulette, and selling on the market board, has netted me 200k in 1 weeks time. We've got 3 months before 2.3, that's more than enough time to get up 850k or more, for a plot of land.

Not to sound rude, or flamey, but every time they announce a fluff content, you always bash the way SE does it, and point to rift as your shining beacon that SE has to ripoff to satisfy you. FFXIV will never be rift. And I prefer it never to be a rift clone. XIV stands out on its own, has its own rules and feel. And if XIV is causing you so much grief, then you should ask yourself, why do you play a game you obviously hate?

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - allgivenover - 05-03-2014

I made over a million gil in April just leveling my retainers, doing maps occasionally, and selling drops from daily roulette. It's gotten even easier to make money now that my retainers are level 50 and I'm sending them on the highest level exploration venture - they bring back several allaghan silver coins and sometimes an item worth 100k or more.

If I wasn't so busy with graduation coming up I'd be able to actually do some crafting and make real cash, but seriously 850k is not that hard to come up with at all and I'm not convinced of the translation confirming anything as the meaning of his words was rather ambiguous. 

I've been in games where housing was very easy to obtain and as a result no one really cared about it, the players value it much more when it's harder to get, and I agree with that approach. When you finally obtain an FC house you really value it - I spend all of my idle time in game there.

I don't understand the huge comparison to other games, if Rift/Whatever is so great why arn't you playing that instead?

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - FreelanceWizard - 05-03-2014

Please don't make me turn my Admin Gaze of Stone on this thread. We can disagree and debate without calling names.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - LandStander - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 05:02 AM)Naunet Wrote: Too much, IMO. I come from an MMO where the basic intro house for personal housing is free, and the effort and journey comes from either decorating that, or saving up to get a bigger one and decorating that.

But nope. Apparently SE is anti-fun when it comes to fluff content. -_-; And horrendously alt-unfriendly. I'd even say alt-hostile.

In all honesty Naunet, this game is not designed for alts in mind. I mean they literally let you become every single class on one character unlike any other game I have come across before. It defeats the purpose for ever making an alt unless you are an RPer. 

I personally think 850k sounds good, but I remember reading something where he Yoshi-P feels like even this might be too high (probably thinking of that FC housing fiasco). Also its not a house, but just a room that will probably be about the same size as the original small FC house (before they added a basement) because that is about how large the Mog House was in FFXI.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - synaesthetic - 05-03-2014

Classy.

You whiteknights do realize that most of us who complain a lot do so because we're unwilling to accept a second-rate experience. If you just take everything a company--which exists purely to generate profit by the way--does or says as the best thing since sliced bread, they're going to keep giving you less and less until they find a point where you won't tolerate less anymore.

Then they'll hover right above that tolerance threshold.

Square's goal with FFXIV, like any MMO developer, is to spend the least amount of money possible while making the most amount of money possible. That means they spend a considerable amount of effort trying to determine the bare minimum of content and fluff that the players will still pay for.

Ya'll are making this real fuckin' easy on them.

Be a discerning consumer. Be picky as hell. Don't ever be satisfied. Be as hard to please as possible.

Whiteknights kill games.