Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Character Development" forum - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: "Character Development" forum (/showthread.php?tid=7308)

Pages: 1 2

RE: "Character Development" forum - Zhavi - 06-05-2014

(06-05-2014, 03:05 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: RPC has a very small amount of forums. Nothing outside the four general forums are used for discussion or planning since the other forums are mostly just archives. It may look like at a glance we have a lot of forums but actually we have few. 

The RP discussion needs to be cut down because half the time it tries to be a place to discuss the nature of RP and the other half it tries to be RP planning. I believe separating these kinds of topics into their own separate forums will stimulate activity as they are topics that are staples to any RP community. 

My opinion has changed somewhat: I believe that it would beneficial to first create a character connection forum and then see if a character development forum is still needed afterwards.

Ahh, hmm you make a good point. I guess to me when I had first supported it it wasn't supposed to be that active of a forum. It's a place you direct new people or those who are having difficulty parsing their characters; they might post in there, but largely participation would probably be mostly passive -- ie, you make use of the prompts without necessarily posting in them. Or, if you do, it's a place where you can easily find the older prompts without needing to dig through a bunch of other threads that aren't related. Likely you'd have more thread necros happening, but on the whole it wouldn't be as active as, say, rp discussion itself.

And that's great, imo. It's mostly just to be able to have an area set aside for, well, character development and the sorts of prompts and questions that make all rpers pause and think for a moment.

I dunno, I mean, I guess my own sense of functionality breaks down to visibility and ease of redirection. Even if forums slow down, it's a matter of being able to have a solid place and a solid link where you can go and look without hassle. But eh, that's just what I've gotten used to over the years. What, you're having a hard time finding rp? Have you tried posting in the ___ ? Have you tried looking in the ____? What, you're having a hard time with your character? Check out the ____ . Those sorts of things.

You could always nix the Balmung/Gilg event forums, roll that traffic into RP Discussion, have one Server Directory category with Balmung and Gilgamesh forums, and then add character dev and connections subforums to RP Discussion (because to me they are subforum type of categories, not worth forums of their own).

edit - alternatively, ditch the directories and direct that traffic to the wiki. Put in a form there, add some server categories, and there you have it.

'Cause honestly, when I'm looking for Balmung characters I go to the wiki. I have never gone past the first page in the directory.

RE: "Character Development" forum - FreelanceWizard - 06-16-2014

This poll will soon be over, so if you haven't voted yet but want to, please do so soon. Smile