Hydaelyn Role-Players
What instrument would you use? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: What instrument would you use? (/showthread.php?tid=7515)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What instrument would you use? - Eva - 06-28-2014

Eva's voice is too soft for singing very effectively, but she did take several years of lessons with the concert-style harp (the big one, not the handheld kind) and is quite skilled.  Though has no aspirations to ever really perform publicly, she finds the activity relaxing and generally only plays when she's alone.  We had to get a harp for our FC house for this reason, but to date nobody's really commented on it apart from it being a sort of oddity in the office.  She's only dabbled a little bit with the more portable variety of handheld harp, however she doesn't like them and isn't as skilled since she never took lessons or learned.  This is the only instrument she knows how to play.  A friend's brother actually drew a picture for us of Eva playing her harp, pre-Calamity:
Show Content

Ben has no interest in musical instruments of any variety, or singing, or general merriment of any sort really.  He's kind of a stick in the mud like that.

RE: What instrument would you use? - C'kayah Polaali - 06-28-2014

C'kayah almost never sings anymore, but he's actually got quite a nice singing voice (about the same range as, say, Nick Cave or Greer Grimsley), and is musical enough to have once worked teaching a Hyur nobleman's daughter to sing.

RE: What instrument would you use? - ArmachiA - 06-28-2014

Armi is actually a bard but plays the Guitar. She is currently learning how to play the piano! She sings too!

RE: What instrument would you use? - K'nahli - 06-28-2014

K'nahli would play the banjoooooooooo.

Nah, she'd just sing... but only to herself.

RE: What instrument would you use? - John Spiegel - 06-28-2014

Since harmonicas don't seem to exist in the lore (I play harmonica), my characters have varrying degrees of experience on a tinwhistle. JJ (the father) can do a few diddys on them and his children can play a little too. More for home playing than anything.

RE: What instrument would you use? - Crisiet - 06-29-2014

Crisiet learned to play the harpsichord when he was young. He hasn't played properly since he left Coerthas, though.

RE: What instrument would you use? - Knight Kat - 06-29-2014

Kiht would play an ocarina. I have yet to see that instrument represented in-game, so I do not make that an IC thing yet, but I think it would fit her.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ocarina+music

There is an example of ocarina music. Most of the videos have meh imagery, so that is just a link to youtube search results.

RE: What instrument would you use? - Zhavi - 06-29-2014

Definitely rhythm based. If not a proper drum (one of the sort you'd hold between your knees or on your lap), then whatever is handy and available to beat on. :3

RE: What instrument would you use? - NordinTheLich - 06-29-2014

If I may pick three, (I can play five by ear in real life, to put it into context... Don't know what context, but yeah...) I'd say Nordin would play the violin, piano, and sing. Then he'd try to play the cello, saying "It's exactly like the violin!" Play a single note wrong from what he's trying to play, stand up, drop the bow, walk away, and say "Sod this, I'm going back to my violin..."

RE: What instrument would you use? - LiadansWhisper - 07-01-2014

(06-27-2014, 11:29 PM)Ragnar Wrote: It's like the title says, regardless of if you are a bard or not, what instrument would your character play were they musically inclined? Or maybe they would sing instead.

Alexei would play the ever majestic accordion, and Ragnar would likely sing, probably drunkenly.

Liadan sings.  She actually incorporates music into some of her magic.  Sometimes.

RE: What instrument would you use? - Gwenneth - 07-29-2014

Reima is actually incredibly fond of music, and has some skill with the wood flute.  There's a part of her that believes it brings her closer to the elements and to Hydaelyn, since there's always a natural music in the air.  She loves to sing, as well, but for her it's a very private thing (mostly because she doesn't think she's very good).

RE: What instrument would you use? - Aerghwab - 07-29-2014

Hwab can sing a mean sea shanty, yo.

What I really want, though, is to get my hands on a pair of bongos. (Giggity.)

RE: What instrument would you use? - Edgar - 07-29-2014

Edgar learned to play a very...bizarre instrument when he was young as part of Ser Baldan Gandervalt's obsession in molding him into a child prodigy.

[youtube]VbPnVQIIOlY[/youtube]

This is called a Mobile Carillion, or Glockenspiel, and originates in the 16th century. It would be pulled by Cavalry. The one, here, is separated into multiple parts for transportation.

My brother had the honor of seeing this very man play at a Medieval Fair. You might recognize him; he tried for America's Got Talent under the act "Cast in Bronze" and failed.

Interesting tidbit; he cannot see effectively in that mask. He is playing blind. This man has my respect.

RE: What instrument would you use? - Roen - 07-29-2014

Roen would play the piano. I've always loved playing it and hearing it, and it is such a solitary instrument that one can get lost in as you play.

And not the sultry singing piano, mind you.

Classics. Beethoven. Moonlight sonata. (everyone knows this one)

Or any of the Nocturnes from Chopin. My favorite is Nocturne No.2 in E flat, Delicate. Elegant.

Chopin Nocturne No.2 in E flat

RE: What instrument would you use? - Raz - 07-29-2014

String instruments are Cenric's favourite, and he likes listening to rhythm instruments. He's got an alright singing voice too, if not a bit off-key.

He'd kill a man for a bass guitar, though.