Hydaelyn Role-Players
clio's sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: clio's sketchbook (/showthread.php?tid=8622)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: debating on taking orders :T - SessionZero - 01-29-2015

I've done a few gil-for-art pieces and for a colored one-character piece I usually charge about 200k gil. Uncolored pieces are less, more than one character is more. Part of it is personal comfort, part is also buyer generosity, but I'd say that's a comfortable starting price.

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Cliodhna Eoghan - 01-29-2015

right, i'm not looking for a crazy amount but i'm worried about undercharging like i did the last time i tried taking orders. i've been poking around the other threads as well trying to see what the "normal" rate is for something around this level too.

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 11:03 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: right, i'm not looking for a crazy amount but i'm worried about undercharging like i did the last time i tried taking orders. i've been poking around the other threads as well trying to see what the "normal" rate is for something around this level too.

You could do something like 50k-100k gil an hour of work or so? Find a balance that you like, that'd make it feel "worth" it for the effort.

(01-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 11:03 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: right, i'm not looking for a crazy amount but i'm worried about undercharging like i did the last time i tried taking orders. i've been poking around the other threads as well trying to see what the "normal" rate is for something around this level too.

You could do something like 50k-100k gil an hour of work or so? Find a balance that you like, that'd make it feel "worth" it for the effort.

....then it would go past 500k easily xD

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Ilwe'ran - 01-29-2015

I think setting a price is the most complicated thing to do, honestly it's what is the most painful for me whatever I'm offering. I'm sure it's the same for other artists.
It's hard to find a balance between what people would accept and how many time you need for each artwork you're drawing as many people have a little idea of how many work it is.
I cannot really giving you another advice than : Look at the other threads and think of the time you need for what you're drawing. At worse, open like.. 3 slots with a price to judge if this worth the pain then adapt the prices accordingly once those commissions are done.

(01-29-2015, 01:20 PM)Ilweran Wrote: I think setting a price is the most complicated thing to do, honestly it's what is the most painful for me whatever I'm offering. I'm sure it's the same for other artists.
It's hard to find a balance between what people would accept and how many time you need for each artwork you're drawing as many people have a little idea of how many work it is.
I cannot really giving you another advice than : Look at the other threads and think of the time you need for what you're drawing. At worse, open like.. 3 slots with a price to judge if this worth the pain then adapt the prices accordingly once those commissions are done.

exactly, that's my issue i don't want to list what would be considered "overcharging" but i don't want to list it at a price that feels i'm giving them away.
i'm gonna do a little more poking around and then possibly convert this thread into a shop thread a little later in the week. if i have to adjust prices after the first couple; people will hopefully be patient with me. :3

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-06-2015

so nako'li made me a nana bear for erik and i offered gil or a chibi as a tip, he picked a chibi o3o

[Image: nakoli_zpsd7tktdiw.png]

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Aya - 02-06-2015

Your style is so cute Clio, I think you should do commissions.  Just accept one at a time and do it at your own pace! ^^

If you take payment when you're done, you really don't have to worry about owing anything to anyone either!

(02-06-2015, 01:23 PM)Aya Wrote: Your style is so cute Clio, I think you should do commissions.  Just accept one at a time and do it at your own pace! ^^

If you take payment when you're done, you really don't have to worry about owing anything to anyone either!

aw for reals?>//u//< i've been kicking the idea around honestly but as you mentioned; payment is the sticking point.

i could do that, but there's always the off chance i do the art and not get payment after .---. i had that happened on the other site i used to do art on (back when i first started using my tablet) and i watermark my stuff when it's done/before i get paid...but i'd like to hope that if i were to do the work first; no one would back out of payment like that. :T then again; if i take payment first; i can always just give the gil back in the off chance i can't finish it for whatever reason.

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

Yeah, if you're concerned about someone taking the art and running, ask for the money first. Or, if you're not comfortable with the idea of having the money before having a product to give in return, you could always go for a half-and-half deal. Half at the start, along with what the commission is to be of... and then get the other half at the end once they're satisfied with the results.

So, even in the case of someone (read: a jerk) taking the art and running, you still got at least half the money for it. Not quite as good as all the money, but it's a decent alternative.

(02-06-2015, 01:35 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Yeah, if you're concerned about someone taking the art and running, ask for the money first. Or, if you're not comfortable with the idea of having the money before having a product to give in return, you could always go for a half-and-half deal. Half at the start, along with what the commission is to be of... and then get the other half at the end once they're satisfied with the results.

So, even in the case of someone (read: a jerk) taking the art and running, you still got at least half the money for it. Not quite as good as all the money, but it's a decent alternative.
i could do what i used to do...half first, then they're shown the watermarked version, then they get the "clean" version after i get the other half. it's a bit of a longer payment process and i don't want to seem as if i'm mistrusting of people (most everyone on here i've met so far is super nice x3) just having the hit n run instance before has made me a bit more apprehensive when payment becomes a possibility.

RE: debating on taking orders :T - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

Maybe do both? Offer both as an option - either pay in full at the start, or do half-and-half if they're uncomfortable (or unable due to financial crunches) with coughing up the cash first. That way, no matter what happens, you'll have gotten some manner of payment for your time and effort.

that's actually a good idea chachan. then i can always stash the payment on a retainer just to help keep track or even friend them/have the pm it for safekeeping that way till they get their art. :3 i really like that way of doing it.
hmm...i still have a couple of pieces i want to finish (both are in shading stages) but after that i think....i'll open up a slot to see how it goes. >u<

RE: open for orders soon(ish) - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-09-2015

oh man, i had meant to finish this ages ago! xD brought on by a conversation about how the mog mail system compensates when otto over-stuffs the mail with heavy starlight presents. (...tiny moogle hernias...)
[Image: expressmailsmall_zpsae5sbsi3.png]

RE: clio's sketchbook - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-13-2015

well in light of the recent "banning art for gil" thread; i guess i won't be offering to take on orders. :/