Hydaelyn Role-Players
Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly (/showthread.php?tid=9267)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Cliodhna Eoghan - 03-12-2015

[Image: K-on_Yui_scared_for_Blog_Ship_Post.gif]
and here i thought i was pretty dapper for having 5 atma gathered.....seems i best get myself in gear o______O;;;
*subscribes*

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Aris - 03-13-2015

Very helpful guide, thank you.

I've just collected my atma for my WHM weapon and am working on my first book. The grind begins! Let me know if any of you are on your books, chances are we'll be waiting on the same fates together.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Steel Wolf - 03-16-2015

With 7 of 12 Atma collected, I'm pretty well set on the idea that I'll be continuing this ride when I get my Dark Knight. I'm not doing the kind of content that demands my WAR be kitted out with a big bad axe, no matter HOW sexy Ragnarok looks.

Instead, I'll bank the Atma for my pending greatsword and continue on from there. I just hope that the books and other steps wells don't run dry with players suffering the same thing, or if everyone will be too fixated on AF2.

Decisions, decisions.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Melodia - 03-16-2015

I just started my animus books for my dragoon. As it's now my main....I am stepping into the waters of the zodiac grind. Wish me luck.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Gegenji - 03-16-2015

I'm about two-thirds through my Nexus dungeon items. I basically just need the ones from, like, Halatali HM and all the no-level-adjust dungeons because I started at the "bottom" and worked my way up. Still need 1600 more Soldiery for the last water I'll need and a HQ Eel Pie to round out the HQ crafted items, but everything else is sitting in my bags waiting to be useful.

So far, I can pretty confidently set this at "as bad, if not worse than" the books. At least the books were just monotonous stuff - kill X enemies, wait around for the FATE, run a couple dungeons ONCE. And a lot of my hatred for it is how... contrived it is from a story standpoint. Stupid girl is gonna throw the books away but - Oops, you need those! - better force a Soldiery grind! This was before Poetics were out too, so everything was twice as expensive as it is now.

Meanwhile, Nexus stage has you needing four high-cost GC seal items (which you can pre-purchase, and the new i100 dungeon items "vendor" for over a thousand each, which would've been nice to have earlier Blush ), four Soldiery-purchase items (which you CAN'T get until you're on that step, resulting in me dumping the Soldiery to keep away from cap while working on Lights), two HQ items each (that require a... two/three star crafter, I think? I just straight up bought them off the MB on Gogon), a 100k vendor item apiece...

And after all that, I've heard tale of people running a dungeon 20-30+ times before getting the drop they need. By comparison, I've been hella lucky, but I've also not been counting the number of runs I've done for my own sanity. Pretty sure I've done Halatali HM almost a dozen times in the past week-and-a-half, though.

The atma grind was obnoxious, but its drop rate has been upped. Light were monotonous, by the light values have been upped. It's just the books and the dungeon items that have remained unchanged, and it bothers me a bit since they're the most annoying ones. Laugh

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Warren Castille - 03-16-2015

It has long been my theory that the book portion and now the dungeon item portion are designed to keep people running through the Duty Finder. Nearly every book requires you to continually flag low, medium and (then) high level dungeons. The lights portions are typically done through primal farming. The new dungeon items keeps people going into dungeons no one wants to run (AV and DZ) as well as a number of entry-tier and farming-tier dungeons.

Remember, patch 2.1 forced players into Guildhests and made you forcibly run Qarn Normal. SE's been clever in masking how they keep people making the roulette run smoothly, but I don't think it's any secret these grinds are catered towards making sure everyone's got someone else to play with.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Gegenji - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 08:28 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Remember, patch 2.1 forced players into Guildhests and made you forcibly run Qarn Normal. SE's been clever in masking how they keep people making the roulette run smoothly, but I don't think it's any secret these grinds are catered towards making sure everyone's got someone else to play with.

Which I wouldn't have problems with if it also didn't mean we get the OTHER Atma/Nexus-level folks that want to just rush through regardless of group composition and experience. It's cool (and pretty awesome) if it's a full group of us and we're all on the level - steamroll the dungeon, get done, hope for drops and move on. It's not so great when it's just me and either a.) the tank or b.) ONE of the DPS and the other half of the group is new. Because, invariably, the other experienced folk is going to want to rush and not explain things, which leads to wipes and them complaining about how it's our fault.

And... I feel kinda mad at myself at times when I've been running the dungeons for a while and get into a sort of "automatic coast" mode. I find myself not bothering with switching to Cleric Stance to help DPS as much, grumbling if the DPS/tank is doing stuff I don't like (except if they're new), and generally being a grump on autopilot. It's usually when I hit that point that I go "welp, I'm done for the day" and switch over to Chachan to try and get me some RPs. Blush

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Uninstalldotexe - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 07:54 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: With 7 of 12 Atma collected, I'm pretty well set on the idea that I'll be continuing this ride when I get my Dark Knight.  I'm not doing the kind of content that demands my WAR be kitted out with a big bad axe, no matter HOW sexy Ragnarok looks.

Instead, I'll bank the Atma for my pending greatsword and continue on from there.  I just hope that the books and other steps wells don't run dry with players suffering the same thing, or if everyone will be too fixated on AF2.

Decisions, decisions.

If I remember correctly, the ATMA you've collected now will only be towards the current weapon you're working on. SE made it that we cannot bank ATMA, unfortunately.  I had the same idea for my own Dark Knight and greatswordness.

(03-16-2015, 11:20 AM)Jijiroga Wrote:
(03-16-2015, 07:54 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: With 7 of 12 Atma collected, I'm pretty well set on the idea that I'll be continuing this ride when I get my Dark Knight.  I'm not doing the kind of content that demands my WAR be kitted out with a big bad axe, no matter HOW sexy Ragnarok looks.

Instead, I'll bank the Atma for my pending greatsword and continue on from there.  I just hope that the books and other steps wells don't run dry with players suffering the same thing, or if everyone will be too fixated on AF2.

Decisions, decisions.

If I remember correctly, the ATMA you've collected now will only be towards the current weapon you're working on. SE made it that we cannot bank ATMA, unfortunately.  I had the same idea for my own Dark Knight and greatswordness.

Ah, unless they changed something, you could totally bank Atma. You just needed one of each type, so you could totally grind multiples to use for the next weapon in line.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Melodia - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 07:54 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: -snip-

I disagree, politely. I had three atma earned on my Warrior relic. Then got my dragoon relic and got the remaining 9 atma with that and then used all 12 on the lance to get the atma weapon.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Warren Castille - 03-16-2015

I believe the statement was inferring that the new jobs won't use this method of upgrading. I wasn't aware of that being confirmed, though. Time to dig for details.

Edit: My reading comprehension is worthless today.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Seriphyn - 03-16-2015

Don't see much point getting Atma if you're not going for Animus, considering the Atma stats are the same as Zenith.

The guide was extremely informative, but for me just reinforced the fact that I have no interest in investing this much time for relic. I feel folks are better of getting the Gerolt i100/110 weapons, maybe even SCOB ilvl115, then FCOB weapons. Seems to be less work. At least, my ilvl110 weapons have done me fine thus far.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Coatleque - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 01:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Don't see much point getting Atma if you're not going for Animus, considering the Atma stats are the same as Zenith.

Glamour.
The Curtana / Holy shield basic is silver.
The Zenith adds a slight glow to both.
The Atma is white/gold
The Animus adds a slight glow to both.

For the longest time I only wanted that White/gold holy shield sans-glow. So I ground another 12 Atmas just for that stage. I still have it.

If you are only just now considering doing a relic weapon (with roughly three months until the expansion) I would advise against it unless you are incredibly fired up about the end design. Even with increased soldiery bonuses, increased light progression and the overall higher item level to smooth out dungeons, it is still a lot of work before you see anything resembling a payoff.

For those of you who want it, need it, gotta have it anyway? Well, you don't need any coaxing. Just remember to take breaks if you feel the burn-out coming. The grind is real, and windows WILL be cruel if you're trying to sink time in on the weekend or something.

As Kale said, there's no need for anything beyond i115. The game works fine without killing yourself for a weapon that'll likely be outdated in a couple of months. Then again, the weapon is right there, and requires nothing but shoulder-down-now-push from a player. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.

RE: Relic weapons, grinding and you: A guide to killing yourself slowly - Uninstalldotexe - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 11:31 AM)Gegenji Wrote:

Decisions, decisions.

Ah, unless they changed something, you could totally bank Atma. You just needed one of each type, so you could totally grind multiples to use for the next weapon in line.

(03-16-2015, 11:32 AM)Melodia Wrote:
(03-16-2015, 07:54 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: -snip-

I disagree, politely. I had three atma earned on my Warrior relic. Then got my dragoon relic and got the remaining 9 atma with that and then used all 12 on the lance to get the atma weapon.

You know, I just remembered that you could get more than one specific ATMA.

I am definitely wrong.

Thanks guys.