Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting (/showthread.php?tid=9300)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Kage - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 11:19 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Okay so now I have a relevant post to add to this thread, since my prior post was complete and utter garbage.

Sorry for a threadsteal Kage--I'll leave you alone soon I promise. >.>
Okay I'm going away now I'M SORRY I'M USING THIS THREAD!  *zip*
Don't feel bad. Use it! WORK IT :< I like getting help but giving is just as great and I'm sure there are others who want it.

It wasn't total garbage, I wasn't very clear with what type of exp (or not) I have :3 It's still helpful.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Gegenji - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 11:20 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I was wondering if $1000.00 could get me something that could run DA:I properly and still give me pretty Final Fantasy-ing.
You can make a decent machine surprisingly cheap if you get the components, yeah. It's been a while since I last put together one, though. Folks wanted to get me something as a college graduation gift and I ended up with an Alienware machine that's working just fine for me right now.

... Sliiiiiightly tempted to crack open the case at some point just to see where everything is so I can add more RAM and such if such things are needed at some point. Dodgy

$1000 should be close. $1500 is the max you should need. Assuming you don't need to get a new monitor, keyboard, sound system.

Even then you might still get it at $1500.

I'd need to look at the specs for DA:I to confirm but I think $1000 will get you a decent once if you're doing a build. A Glorious Gaming Rig[sup]™[/sup], I haven't kept up with prices.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 11:20 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 11:11 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: @Berrod, bodybuilding is hard, but PC building is easy. 

Bribes work great for PCs. 

If you have a price range, I'm pretty sure we have enough people here that could get you optimal parts for a build. (And computer building is like playing with LEGO blocks. ...most things only go in one way)
Oh, well knowing where the parts go is easy! My problem occurs when the tiny sparkly machine tidbits are too tiny and delicate for my massive hairless-gorilla hands. Handling tiny parts is just not my area of expertise, I might as well be punching it. It takes an hour of sobbing, preparation and pep talks for me to even attempt to seat a stick of RAM. Ask me to put in a processor and I'll cry in the shower for days. I'm clumsy with it and I don't trust myself. 

I was wondering if $1000.00 could get me something that could run DA:I properly and still give me pretty Final Fantasy-ing.

I'll just threaten the lives of my friend's family and pets offer my friend a meal in exchange for putting it all together. With his knobbly, thin and deft spiderfingers, he'll be able to get it done!

What do you currently have as far as computes go? You might be able to get away with some modest upgrades.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Berrod Armstrong - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 12:27 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 11:20 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 11:11 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: @Berrod, bodybuilding is hard, but PC building is easy. 

Bribes work great for PCs. 

If you have a price range, I'm pretty sure we have enough people here that could get you optimal parts for a build. (And computer building is like playing with LEGO blocks. ...most things only go in one way)
Oh, well knowing where the parts go is easy! My problem occurs when the tiny sparkly machine tidbits are too tiny and delicate for my massive hairless-gorilla hands. Handling tiny parts is just not my area of expertise, I might as well be punching it. It takes an hour of sobbing, preparation and pep talks for me to even attempt to seat a stick of RAM. Ask me to put in a processor and I'll cry in the shower for days. I'm clumsy with it and I don't trust myself. 

I was wondering if $1000.00 could get me something that could run DA:I properly and still give me pretty Final Fantasy-ing.

I'll just threaten the lives of my friend's family and pets offer my friend a meal in exchange for putting it all together. With his knobbly, thin and deft spiderfingers, he'll be able to get it done!

What do you currently have as far as computes go? You might be able to get away with some modest upgrades.
Ah, I'm not looking to upgrade, want to buy anew, passing my old one to someone else, but keeping the peripherals.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - allgivenover - 12-16-2014

1000$ will get you an amazing build. But if you just want to max out FFXIV and DA:I it's overkill. You could do that on 700$, maybe even less.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Berrod Armstrong - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 12:59 PM)allgivenover Wrote: 1000$ will get you an amazing build. But if you just want to max out FFXIV and DA:I it's overkill. You could do that on 700$, maybe even less.
*quietly moves $300 to the clothing fund*

(12-16-2014, 01:01 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 12:59 PM)allgivenover Wrote: 1000$ will get you an amazing build. But if you just want to max out FFXIV and DA:I it's overkill. You could do that on 700$, maybe even less.
*quietly moves $300 to the clothing fund*
I'm not sure where the current prices are, but maybe I just want the thingnao, that sometimes the best deals will have to be waited on.

Depends on when you buy things, what you're content with etc.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - allgivenover - 12-16-2014

I'm not even thinking about deals. 

Unless you do a lot of photo/video editing or working with development an i7 is wasting your money. In gaming it has severe diminishing returns over an i5. 

So yes you could spend more so you can have the very best, but in real world performance you will see single digit FPS improvement. The HT that an i7 provides is very unlikely to ever make a difference in gaming now that AMD runs the console world.

You guys make me realize how clueless I am when it comes to this stuff lol.

You are of course right. I barely ever watch prices. To be honest I go intel because I know it. I don't know AMD at all.

For reference berrod, I went on newegg just now and just randomly added things to a shopping cart.

i5-4570 + a mobo that I just threw in cause it had the same socket + supported the ram I know (Corsair Vengeance LP) (2x4 8 GB) + BD Drive + SSD (250 GB) + HDD (1TB) + GTX 760 + Windows 7 Pro + a case I like + 750W PSU + CPU cooler = $822

That's just me fuckin around so I'm sure actual people who know what they're doing for the best bang for your buck will tell you much better.

edit: And it's sounding so nice when I look at this cart xD;

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-16-2014

Yeah as far as price ranges go. My current computer runs FFXIV on ultimate, and cost me 1000 dollars.

4 years ago (I made it to play skyrim).

I suggest the 1000 dollar range, just to futureproof yourself for a bit.

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Warren Castille - 12-16-2014

Time to be cheap at Christmas. Poppa needs a desktop.

(12-16-2014, 01:52 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: 4 years ago (I made it to play skyrim).  
This is what I told one of the sales associates at Fry's.

Bad idea.

This is how my build became $1300 (I needed keyboard+mouse and got upsold on the msi z77a-g45 and the i7-3770 thinking I'd futureproof myself and end up LOLNOPE SUCH A FUCKING WASTE)

RE: Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting - Zhavi - 12-16-2014

I need to get a new SSD... mama wants more gigs. Thanks for the reminder that prices are a lot nicer now then they were when I got mine. : x