Hydaelyn Role-Players
Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause (/showthread.php?tid=9443)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Warren Castille - 12-29-2014

Once I was silly enough to think I'd do a second relic. My long-abandoned Dragoon has a spear and... That's it. I don't think I could do this again.

I know of some random japanese player who has already completed four Zodiac weapons. Kill me.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Kellach Woods - 12-29-2014

I never viewed the Relics as something you did because of the stats unless you just want an i90 weapon to start doing some higher grade stuff off the bat (since that chain is easy as pie now).

You do it because you want the Zodiac, whether for looks, because you want a Zodiac with a precise set of stats, or just to say you have the friggin' thing.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Eva - 12-29-2014

Might as well throw my 2 gil in here. My own opinion on this is sort of tenous lately. I've seen how many hours that could have been spent enjoying RP have been instead thrust towards the various relic grinds. My time to play FFXIV has more recently been scaled back, so I've felt a bit more pressure as a result with these past two relic steps (specifically Nexus and Zodiac). I was usually pretty competative with my peers (I consider those in my more relaxed coil static group to be about on the same pace, though lately I've been the last in our group to finish). A lot of it has been finding time, and having to give a certain amount of priority towards progression with it. For me that sometimes means it comes at a cost, and I'm hesitant to forsake RP or other stuff for the sake of a grind I don't truly enjoy. In short, I want to enjoy the journey as much as the destination, and if that means I don't have my shiny new <whatever> before my friends and peers, so be it.

As others have said, I think it's more of a status thing than anything really important. I think I'd do just fine with the i110 UAT+Sands staff instead of my Thyrus, and the few stat boosts and iLevels is not - by itself - game-altering. I'm not one of thos relic-holders that totes that "omg must have to be the best". I don't have time for that.

What the relic quests do give me is something to do with my time when there's no RP or anything else going on. Combined with my own decreased time for playing the game, I've also been trying to reach out a little more and RP with different groups and broaden my horizon, which in turn narrows down my time even further for this.

I would say if you're extremely passionate about your job (and for my part I'll confess I do love White Mage) it may be worthwhile to you to undertake this process, if you're willing to sacrifice that time - and it is a timesink. If you're considering another job with Heavensward on the horizon, I'd just scrape by with whatever alternatives you're able to get your hands on (Shiva EX or Soldiery or w/e) and save your energies for what you are really passionate about. Of course if you find yourself with an abundance of free time and nothing better to do with it, I say go for it. Just realize that all of this stuff is probably going to be rendered obsolete a few months in the future.

I tend to think of the relic process as appealing more to the people who have been around and working on it all along. It's paced steps with each relic update patch which, individually, isn't terribly overwhelming. However when you look at it from the scope of a new level 50, having to get the atma, and do the books, and get the alexandrites, and farm the lights, and do the dungeons, etc... it's pretty ridiculous. I suspect - as others have also suggested - Heavensward will bring us another sort of "relic" tree which we can climb a branch at a time, or a way for some to continue the first. Final Fantasy has always been good about giving lots of variable options for this sort of thing.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Zyrusticae - 12-29-2014

I wouldn't be surprised to see the entirety of the relic quest nerfed considerably come 3.0. 100% Atma drop rate, Animus FATEs changed to pop independently of other FATEs every 15 minutes like Beast Tribe FATEs and mob kill requirements cut down to 3 of each enemy type, Novus nerfed to require 10 Alexandrite, Nexus nerfed to require 200 Light, the following step nerfed to have 100% dungeon item drop rate and much lower soldiery, gil, and seal costs for required items...

I don't foresee them simply forking it off into an entirely different relic weapon branch when they can just nerf the previous steps to near-irrelevance and let people catch up that way. The whole point of the relic quest is to serve as a massive timesink in the first place. That intention is transparently obvious just looking at the various steps as they stand.

I, personally, started working on a second relic out of obsessive compulsion (because I was doing my Alexandrite daily on a regular basis and that Alexandrite just keeps piling up....) but eventually stopped after realizing I actually don't give a toss about having ALL THE RELICS. There's already too much for me to do as it is; wasting time with this stuff is not much in the way of fun or productive.

I say just work on one Relic at a time, at a casual pace unless you just want it RIGHT NOW, let it work as a long-term thing for you to just build up over time. You'll burn yourself out trying to do it fast anyway, so I don't recommend it.

(It does kind of suck that I'm going to just throw that bow away when Machinist comes out, but, eh...)

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Warren Castille - 12-29-2014

That's certainly a possibility, but I don't think a blanket nerf is coming. Well, right now. I'm very wishy-washy on my opinions about this.

Could SE nerf the crap out of it and make it so anyone with a passing interest could have every job wielding a zodiac weapon? I suppose, but with presumable 130 weapons being accessible from CT3, I'm leaning towards them not adjusting until after 3.0 is live. Yoshi's said previously that they're meant to be bragging rights rewards given to those who stuck with the content, and I think that will remain the hallmark for now. The game already hands out gear towards the end of a patch cycle, and I don't expect relics to become any more easily grabbed from the door than, say, folks who never set foot in coil wanting Dreadwyrm stuff.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 04:00 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: That's certainly a possibility, but I don't think a blanket nerf is coming. Well, right now. I'm very wishy-washy on my opinions about this.

Could SE nerf the crap out of it and make it so anyone with a passing interest could have every job wielding a zodiac weapon? I suppose, but with presumable 130 weapons being accessible from CT3, I'm leaning towards them not adjusting until after 3.0 is live. Yoshi's said previously that they're meant to be bragging rights rewards given to those who stuck with the content, and I think that will remain the hallmark for now. The game already hands out gear towards the end of a patch cycle, and I don't expect relics to become any more easily grabbed from the door than, say, folks who never set foot in coil wanting Dreadwyrm stuff.

I think they will remain status symbols. Compared to coil nerfs, Relic's have hardly been touched at all. They only lowered the soldiery requirement for the books, and increased Atma drop rate. I don't forsee them lowering the bar that much.

However as others have said they are completely not needed. FCOB up to turn 11 can easily be beaten with Soldiery and High Allagan weapons, and once you get there you get the tomestones for the magitech weapons.

So I would suggest just doing the relic on your favorite class, even if you might not use it. Worth it to look cool.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Kellach Woods - 12-31-2014

(12-29-2014, 04:17 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think they will remain status symbols. Compared to coil nerfs, Relic's have hardly been touched at all. They only lowered the soldiery requirement for the books, and increased Atma drop rate. I don't forsee them lowering the bar that much.

However as others have said they are completely not needed. FCOB up to turn 11 can easily be beaten with Soldiery and High Allagan weapons, and once you get there you get the tomestones for the magitech weapons.

So I would suggest just doing the relic on your favorite class, even if you might not use it. Worth it to look cool.

I plan on doing it on MNK because I like the look of it. That's it. Same with WAR.

Besides, you KNOW people will wanna glamour into the Zodiac.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - TheLastCandle - 12-31-2014

I just want Longinus and Excalibur/Aegis Shield, then I can retire from Zodiac hunting forever.

And maybe Ragnarok because it looks metal as fuck.

(12-31-2014, 01:48 AM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I just want Longinus and Excalibur/Aegis Shield, then I can retire from Zodiac hunting forever.

And maybe Ragnarok because it looks metal as fuck.

You know the best part about the Zodiac relics?

YOU CAN DYE THEM.

and yes Ragnarok is metal as fuck and I need it on Kell just to add to the metal factor kinda.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - ProvaDiServo - 12-31-2014

Meh, I'm not really bothered to continue the relic until MNK weapon is like, barefisted or something...Then and only then, will it be on.

I have Glanzfaust right now and looks wise I thoroughly regret it. Any of the cestis do not look good.

The claws are good though, and I like Sphairai's look. Haven't looked at the Kaisers.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Melkire - 12-31-2014

Closest we PGLs and MNKs can get to bare-fisted right now:

http://xivdb.com/?item/1686/Brass-Knuckles

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - ProvaDiServo - 12-31-2014

I'll just stick to the Bone Hora

>.>

I wish there was an invisible glamour

I like the Vintage Hora - it looks like you've got some Aquamarines on 'em so you punch ass with actual bling.

RE: Of Relic Weapons and the Heavensward Pause - Seriphyn - 01-01-2015

Think people may have missed a detail? It seems like Steel Wolf said they have a ilvl70 weapon? In which case, I would totally go for just standard relic, and then zenith, for ilvl90. Takes no time these days, and no gil. Onwards from that, I would consult the prior posts here.