Hydaelyn Role-Players
Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra (/showthread.php?tid=9569)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-06-2015

Well there were no ninja's in Eorzea either until 2.4, as far as I know. So that's equally lore breaking.

I think they're just going to handwave it.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Cato - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 02:40 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Well there were no ninja's in Eorzea either until 2.4, as far as I know. So that's equally lore breaking.

They were all in stealth. Wink

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Arelian - 01-06-2015

*Jazz hands* Maaaaaaaa~Aaaaaagic.

But! It'll probably just be ignored. Sad.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Gegenji - 01-06-2015

I get the feeling that they're probably have their own initial starting area that'll bring them into the MSQ somehow. It might be janky, but hopefully they'll have something that works.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Titor - 01-06-2015

I kind of hope they drop the MSQ requirement to unlock things all together. I really want to level another alt, and I have no issue grinding it up through fates or dungeons or anything, but the MSQ was not very fun for me the first time, I really, really, really do not want to do it a second time. If they remove the MSQ restriction to unlock pre-50 stuff (with the option to follow it if you so choose) that would be really nice. You would just automatically unlock dungeons at the appropriate level or whatnot. 

If they keep adding and adding and adding to the MSQ, new players and players who want to play alts are going to get really discouraged from making a new character due to the 322+ required quests to actually be able to get anything unlocked.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 03:57 PM)Jrakh Nunh Wrote:
(01-06-2015, 02:40 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Well there were no ninja's in Eorzea either until 2.4, as far as I know. So that's equally lore breaking.

They were all in stealth. Wink

It all makes sense now!

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Iex - 01-07-2015

./Creates a new character.
./intro scene... but instead of the adventurer guild contact you meet the Ultima Bard.

"Oh.. I have not seen you around, you look as though you fancy yourself an adventurer. Not all of those who do seem to make it. However, buy me a drink and maybe I will spin you a tale of someone such as yourself who arrived just like you, green and eager... who knows you might learn something."

./start 2.0 story line.

./Creates a new character

./instead of ship/carriage to a main city talking to the midlander carriage on carriage to Ishgard with the midlander.

"Oh... seems like the weather is getting bad, we might not make it there any time soon. But where are my manners, where are you from?"

(Ul'dah, Gridania, Limsa)

"Funny... I met someone on my way there once. He/she actually is part of why we are heading north now. Since it looks like we are going to be here a while... might as well tell you what I heard. Might help you when we get there."

./start 2.0 story quest
./end 2.0 story quest finish the ride to Ishgard (or wherever the hub will be)

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Blue - 01-07-2015

Unless the Au Ra were just created (I haven't been that far in the MSQ yet so I don't know), I find it perfectly plausible to believe that other Au Ras came to Eorzea before Yugiri, and simply weren't heard of or their traces were lost. Just think of how Columbus thought he was the first to dicover the Americas; today, we know the Vikings arrived there long before he did, no?

People travel, it's in our nature to be curious about what's beyond, and boats have existed for a looong damn time. That alone is enough excuses to believe a few Au Ras have been in Eorzea before.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Tiergan - 01-07-2015

I think Au Ra are unique enough in appearance that they would've created a stir visiting various Eorzean cities for the first time -- otherwise why would Yugiri go out of her way to hide her appearance out of fear of startling the populace?

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - TheLastCandle - 01-07-2015

Crouching Tiger...

(01-07-2015, 01:22 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I think Au Ra are unique enough in appearance that they would've created a stir visiting various Eorzean cities for the first time -- otherwise why would Yugiri go out of her way to hide her appearance out of fear of startling the populace?

-drops to a whisper- ...Hidden Dragon.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Blue - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 01:22 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I think Au Ra are unique enough in appearance that they would've created a stir visiting various Eorzean cities for the first time -- otherwise why would Yugiri go out of her way to hide her appearance out of fear of startling the populace?

Especially in a continent as illiterate as Eorzea, even if an Au Ra had been sighted, unless they had made a very big deal such as bringing miracolous medicines or destroying a city, it would've been hard for the news to spread everywhere. Imagine if one arrived at a small village on a coast, with little ways to connect to bigger cities and such, did his business and then moved along. Again, the native americans (nor Yncas, Aztecs or Mayas) did not pass down through generations the story of vikings visiting their shores. To know everyone and everything in this world it's a lot harder than you think.

In fact, it's even borderline impossible to claim to be the first at doing ANYTHING really, since in order to make that claim you'd need to be able to possess the knowledge of everyone, including people of the past. There's countless cases of things that we believe to be recent discoveries to have been invented in the long past and then be forgotten.

Think of the Padjal for example. We OOCly know that they're a thing and exist, but not everyone in Eorzea knows it. Again, I think that as long as Au Ra existed in the past and had means of travel, surely there has to have been at least a handful that managed to reach Eorzea before. They simply never were heard of.

I mean, I'm still in 2.1 MSQ and I've never met Yugiri yet. Does that mean that if I meet an Au Ra character before I do 2.4 and he/she tells me he's the first Au Ra to arrive to Eorzea, then he is saying the truth? ICly, 2.4 hasn't occurred for me yet, so Yugiri may be the second Au Ra that arrives in Eorzea to me, or the third, or the fourth, depending on how many Au Ra RPers I meet before I get to 2.4 (I am awfully slow, I don't expect to have even gotten to Leviathan by the time 3.0 hits). It's the same for everyone else in Eorzea. Plus, I doubt Yugiri knows every single Au Ra in Doma of present and past (or even not in Doma, what forbids them from travelling in other countries and procreating there?) and whether they ever saw Eorzea or not, so again her statement is iffy.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Tiergan - 01-07-2015

I personally feel that's stretching just how slow news actually travels in Eorzea, but that's just me.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Erik Mynhier - 01-07-2015

SE has proven before they don't really make the game with us in mind (RPers). I mean sure they throw us bones like glamour and or weddings, but at the end of the day they don't seem as concerned about bending or breaking the lore as we are. They wanna stick to lore, but when it comes down to lore or a cool/new/fun mechanic, the lore loses all the time.

Its not a bad thing, its just how it is.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Berrod Armstrong - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 06:53 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: SE has proven before they don't really make the game with us in mind (RPers). I mean sure they throw us bones like glamour and or weddings, but at the end of the day they don't seem as concerned about bending or breaking the lore as we are. They wanna stick to lore, but when it comes down to lore or a cool/new/fun mechanic, the lore loses all the time.

I kind of disagree with this -- I mean, I can log in, adventure with my friends in character, make almost any kind of expression I want with my character, RP-walk to the housing district, stable my chocobo, check my mail outside the house, have my toon smile at the decorations that we put up in the yard, then go inside and sit around a table with friends -- grab some food, maybe something from the wine rack, relax and talk -- while making lots of expressions on my toon again (and seeing his mouth move when he talks, too!). After that, I can head down to the basement and have my toon take a shower before going back up again and chatting with the group. That's BEFORE he goes into his private quarters to lounge on his couch, or sleep in his bed (or take another bath if he wants!). 

I wouldn't say that they don't make the game with us in mind -- they cater to us far more than I've seen many other games do. It's just that the mechanics of bringing out a new race with an already established storyline can be a bit tricky, so WE have to keep THAT in mind, and work around it.

RE: Something Just Occured To Me About Au Ra - Kismet - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 06:53 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: SE has proven before they don't really make the game with us in mind (RPers). I mean sure they throw us bones like glamour and or weddings, but at the end of the day they don't seem as concerned about bending or breaking the lore as we are. They wanna stick to lore, but when it comes down to lore or a cool/new/fun mechanic, the lore loses all the time.

I don't think that's giving SE enough credit, personally. FFXI was one of small handful of MMORPGs were lore was taken pretty darn seriously. (To such an extent that it actually annoyed me when I was younger...) I don't think they'll be throwing anything or anyone under the bus come 3.0, Au Ra included.

For 14, a lot of lore is broken (or dodged, as I think is more appropriate to say) for the sake of making you and your character feel extra special. But that's a majority of MMOs. They have yet to write anything that makes us largely unable to function as RPers, so I think we're gonna be okay.