Hydaelyn Role-Players
Where do I start? :D - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Where do I start? :D (/showthread.php?tid=9754)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Where do I start? :D - Caspar - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 05:35 AM)Bontee Wrote: Hmm... The issue I'm having now is... er... Well, I've met a lot of nice and awesome people, and lots of people are willing to help me advance, but I'm now able to go to the other main cities and such, and... I can access the main game content just fine and people are always friendly and willing to help, but when it comes to RP, I just can't find anyone in-game... I found that "quicksand" place, but... No one noticed me, and I am really shy, so... I dunno, I'm just having trouble with it all. I joined an OOC linkshell, but I can't find any in-character ones, or any FC at all... (Plus the nature of my character, he's supposed to be shy, so it's difficult to initiate any dialogue because of that as well Sad)

I don't know, it may just be that I'm new, or not looking in the right places... (and the extreme shyness doesn't help either...) but thank you for all the help and advice you guys have given me so far Big Grin I really appreciate it! Moogle
My character is also not exactly sociable. It has been a struggle making connections, and without the help of a few players it's unlikely I would have been able to do it too easily.

I initiated conversation at the start by emoting at people. Like say, using the command /em will narrate what your character is doing in a different color than using /say or /tell, etc.

So if I put "/em watches <t> nervously" into the text bar, that will make "Virara Wakuwa watches (the person I'm targeting) nervously" appear to others in the area. That is a way I initiate conversation without actually having the character talk. If the player is receptive to walk up RP, they can use that as an opportunity to talk with your character. There are also the emotes from the emote menu that have animations associated with them; /em just does custom emotes with no animation, but it'll get the job done.

Of course it's not guaranteed everyone will notice, so you can also /tell the person ahead of time that you want to start a conversation, but your character is shy, and would not initiate. That way, you can create a situation in which he would talk with them.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kurt S. - 01-25-2015

C'mon don't be shy, Keil doesn't bite and neither do I. /tell Keil Amalle Hi right now if you're in-game.

* refer to my post before this if you want my two cents, organized in a passionate manner. Big Grin *

RE: Where do I start? :D - Adeya - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 05:35 AM)Bontee Wrote: Hmm... The issue I'm having now is... er... Well, I've met a lot of nice and awesome people, and lots of people are willing to help me advance, but I'm now able to go to the other main cities and such, and... I can access the main game content just fine and people are always friendly and willing to help, but when it comes to RP, I just can't find anyone in-game... I found that "quicksand" place, but... No one noticed me, and I am really shy, so... I dunno, I'm just having trouble with it all. I joined an OOC linkshell, but I can't find any in-character ones, or any FC at all... (Plus the nature of my character, he's supposed to be shy, so it's difficult to initiate any dialogue because of that as well Sad)

I don't know, it may just be that I'm new, or not looking in the right places... (and the extreme shyness doesn't help either...) but thank you for all the help and advice you guys have given me so far Big Grin I really appreciate it! Moogle
As someone else who’s shy, I’ve found that OOC communication can really help matters. If the Quicksand doesn’t quite work for you (or if you just want something different), try using the linkshells you have or this site to set things up with people. While it can require a bit more legwork since you have to track people down, it does mean that you can be pretty sure that you will actually get a response. Sending people /tells can also work, especially if they’re hanging around the Quicksand or have RPer in their search info. Even just saying hi and asking if they want to RP can be enough to break the ice a bit.

That said, Caspar’s suggestion about emoting at people is a good one. It tends to be much easier to get people interested if you give them a hook of some kind, even if it’s as simple as going to sit next to them at a bar or whatever. While it won’t always work, it’s usually better than waiting on people to approach you.

Also, feel free to say hi if you see me on, especially if you need any help or want to RP.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Bontee - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 05:40 AM)undefined Wrote:
(01-25-2015, 05:40 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: TL;DR TELL TO WIN!

LOOK FOR KEIL AMALLE RIGHT NOW. IF YOU'RE ONLINE. 

You know you can also send a tell to me and I will drop whatever fate, quest, whatever I'm doing and port to your face with an idea most of the time. If I had your IGN and a list of times you're on, I will personally look for you and engage in jolly cooperation...I mean RP. Timezones be damned! 
I know the feeling of not being noticed, it sucks and I will do what I can to make sure you have yourself a fun time RPing. 
TL;DR TELL TO WIN!

"and engage in jolly cooperation" Dark Souls! Cool

Sorry about not messaging you right away, I posted here then went to sleep, as it was 4:30am my time when I posted... I'll definitely message you when I get on, and... Thanks again!

(01-25-2015, 05:44 AM)Caspar Wrote:
(01-25-2015, 05:35 AM)Bontee Wrote: Hmm... The issue I'm having now is... er... Well, I've met a lot of nice and awesome people, and lots of people are willing to help me advance, but I'm now able to go to the other main cities and such, and... I can access the main game content just fine and people are always friendly and willing to help, but when it comes to RP, I just can't find anyone in-game... I found that "quicksand" place, but... No one noticed me, and I am really shy, so... I dunno, I'm just having trouble with it all. I joined an OOC linkshell, but I can't find any in-character ones, or any FC at all... (Plus the nature of my character, he's supposed to be shy, so it's difficult to initiate any dialogue because of that as well Sad)

I don't know, it may just be that I'm new, or not looking in the right places... (and the extreme shyness doesn't help either...) but thank you for all the help and advice you guys have given me so far Big Grin I really appreciate it! Moogle
My character is also not exactly sociable. It has been a struggle making connections, and without the help of a few players it's unlikely I would have been able to do it too easily.

I initiated conversation at the start by emoting at people. Like say, using the command /em will narrate what your character is doing in a different color than using /say or /tell, etc.

So if I put "/em watches <t> nervously" into the text bar, that will make "Virara Wakuwa watches (the person I'm targeting) nervously" appear to others in the area. That is a way I initiate conversation without actually having the character talk. If the player is receptive to walk up RP, they can use that as an opportunity to talk with your character. There are also the emotes from the emote menu that have animations associated with them; /em just does custom emotes with no animation, but it'll get the job done.

Of course it's not guaranteed everyone will notice, so you can also /tell the person ahead of time that you want to start a conversation, but your character is shy, and would not initiate. That way you can create a situation in which he would talk with them.
I've tried most of that, except I'm too nervous most of the time to try /tell 'ing people... But I'll try! And, by the way, your character wiki page has inspired me, I'll try setting one up soon, too! Hehehe... Thanks! Big Grin

Edit: Had to shorten some of the quotes to make the post shorter... :O

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kurt S. - 01-26-2015

Ah it's all good. Just look for any of the 3 characters in my sig really. Well not now though, internet is dead for me atm and I'm just using the crappy LTE in my country.

I'll also give this tonberry since you got the reference.Tonberry
If you and your character are at least interested I could even BS some way to drag you out into field.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kamome - 01-26-2015

This is kind of a silly method, but it's how I've always gotten people to RP with me, at least, on some of my more outlandish characters... Have a really weird or comedic conversation with an NPC! Have an argument with a Brass Blade, flirt with Mylla the pretty Highlander gladiator boss, heckle Franz the Fair--it's a great way to show your RP availability without putting people under pressure to RP with you. Usually, they will hop right in. Orrr they will think you are crazy and ignore you. But usually the former, in my experience.

The first time I ever MMO-RP'd was with an NPC in Selbina in FFXI--the weird old fisherman dude who you could barely understand. Good times.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Caspar - 01-26-2015

Quote:I've tried most of that, except I'm too nervous most of the time to try /tell 'ing people... But I'll try! And, by the way, your character wiki page has inspired me, I'll try setting one up soon, too! Hehehe... Thanks! :D

Edit: Had to shorten some of the quotes to make the post shorter... :O
If you're referring to my wiki page, I'm flattered. :) I feel I share too much information in some areas and not enough in others, but if you liked it, that's promising. Thank you. I look forward to seeing yours!