Hydaelyn Role-Players
Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Housing: Let our voices be heard! (/showthread.php?tid=9965)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Kellach Woods - 02-05-2015

Wait, so they said they want to make houses more useful... when a good portion of people don't even have access to one.

Please use the auto-translate function

Because I seriously do not get it.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Kage - 02-06-2015

Well clearly because the other servers are free it works just fine /s

Large houses feel empty because after awhile you hit the limit on how many furnishings can be placed. So they want to increase that capacity.

Whether or not that's true I dunno. I think I capped the amount of things i can put in my medium house and it feels empty.

But hey, lots of people are looking forward to Gold Saucer and shit so... :/ They probably won't respond anytime soon

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Reshie - 02-06-2015

This worries me. While I'd like to get a personal house I've put everything I have, as well as a few others, into trying to build up the funds to purchase a FC house. Now I'm worried we've been working our collective asses off for nothing... *sighs* Unfortunately, on Balmung the need has not been met and probably won't be for a while simply because of population density. I truly hope the ward situation isn't put on the back burner for any length of time since I know we're not the only ones in this situation.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Rosamund - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:48 AM)Reshie Wrote: This worries me. While I'd like to get a personal house I've put everything I have, as well as a few others, into trying to build up the funds to purchase a FC house. Now I'm worried we've been working our collective asses off for nothing... *sighs*

Same here. I'm not even interested in a personal house; I only want to get something for our company. We've been scraping together every penny and nearly have enough for a plot but is there even any point? Sorry if that sounds melodramatic, I was just excited about getting a house... Sad

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Kilid/Torhe - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 07:20 AM)Inarah Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 02:48 AM)Reshie Wrote: This worries me. While I'd like to get a personal house I've put everything I have, as well as a few others, into trying to build up the funds to purchase a FC house. Now I'm worried we've been working our collective asses off for nothing... *sighs*

Same here. I'm not even interested in a personal house; I only want to get something for our company. We've been scraping together every penny and nearly have enough for a plot but is there even any point? Sorry if that sounds melodramatic, I was just excited about getting a house... Sad

It's not melodramatic, I that sentiment.  It's... frustrating, that this is the situation they've gotten into when housing is such a standard feature in modern MMOs these days.  I mean, nice that they've tried, and what they have is nice, but only if you have one.  Feels a little like they've missed the mark here.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Kellach Woods - 02-06-2015

A lot of our problems stem from the fact that we're on Balmung.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Parvacake - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 08:37 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: A lot of our problems stem from the fact that we're on Balmung.
True, but just think of the other high congestion servers that are out there on both the NA/EU side and the JP side. Considering the amount of Japanese players compared to the rest of us, I wouldn't doubt that a lot of them are having just as bad a time as we are.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Enzo - 02-06-2015

Just thought I would mention the Japanese servers have a significantly lower population than the NA/EU ones. The highest population Japanese server is the 30th highest on the scale overall. Meaning there is 29 servers with higher populations. and there are EU servers TWICE THE SIZE of the largest Japanese server. The top five highest population servers are EU and the other five of the top ten are NA, none of those include Balmung or Gilgamesh. Balmung is the 18th most populated server and Gilgamesh is the 11th most populated server. Granted Balmung is a significantly more ACTIVE server. But based on populations alone NA/EU far outranks Japanese servers and are probably suffering from the same housing problems we are. Meanwhile Japanese servers probably have a much lesser problem with this. (Not saying it is non existent for them) The Japanese are going to focus on their home market. So the worries of their bigger market share may go ignored. (Not unheard, they will get to it eventually) I am sure the FFXIV EU and NA teams don't like this either. But there may not be anything we can do.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Clover - 02-07-2015

I posted as well to support this. Perhaps I should start becoming active in the official forums.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Parvacake - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 06:01 AM)Clover Wrote: I posted as well to support this. Perhaps I should start becoming active in the official forums.
I need to try as well. Especially when it comes to issues such as these, and Yoshi P. and friends are always emphasizing how they check out the forums.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Flickering Ember - 02-07-2015

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the technology to split up wards to go to different servers that need it more. Seems like it could be the case considering they couldn't even create personal housing. (What we got was FC housing with a single bow on top and they called it 'personal' housing)

(02-07-2015, 12:00 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: (What we got was FC housing with a single bow on top and they called it 'personal' housing)
Pretty much.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - Blue - 02-07-2015

Dazed

Oh, oh my... What's going on here? A thread to promote one of my threads?

Blush Thank you, I didn't expect this kind of support! Heart Thanks Lili, let me give you a big virtual hug and the highest amount of sappy smilies I've ever used! HeartHeartHeart

(02-07-2015, 12:06 PM)Blue Wrote: Dazed

Oh, oh my... What's going on here? A thread to promote one of my threads?

Blush Thank you, I didn't expect this kind of support! Heart Thanks Lili, let me give you a big virtual hug and the highest amount of sappy smilies I've ever used! HeartHeartHeart
<33333333

On another note.

If others want to make a post for this on the main forums, by all means! Though it's been mentioned already in other housing threads. But it likely wouldn't hurt.

RE: Housing: Let our voices be heard! - C'kayah Polaali - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 12:00 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the technology to split up wards to go to different servers that need it more. Seems like it could be the case considering they couldn't even create personal housing. (What we got was FC housing with a single bow on top and they called it 'personal' housing)

Sorry in advance if this gets a little esoteric...

You know, I was having an argument (in the civilized "debating an issue" sense of the word) with someone, and they brought that up. We both scratched our heads, because I've heard before that SE is struggling with a code base that's both old and unfamiliar to many of them. So we did some extrapolation:
  • We know that the neighborhoods aren't on the same servers as the rest of the server - they're instanced
  • We know that individual houses are instanced, with very little connection to the rest of the server you're on
  • We know that housing is a new thing for FF, so the actual code for housing doesn't fall into the "old and unfamiliar code" camp

I figured that what's probably going on is they have one or more wards running on a single server, with multiplexing code at the ward entrances to handle shunting you into the proper ward. All fairly basic stuff, the only new thing they'd have to add would be the actual multiplexer, as well as the neighborhood design.

Now, once you're in the ward, the only connection you have to the rest of the server is through chat and your various player groupings: party, friends list, linkshells, etc. And I'd be really surprised if these aren't all implemented through chat*.

This means that there's no real hardware limitation causing the number of wards to be limited per server. Instead, they've probably got a pool of machines that limit the total number of wards they can offer. Each ward's connection to chat would be nebulous - the client would connect to the proper chat system based on your server, no problem at all.

This means that all you'd really have to do to replace the current system with one where you have a pool of wards would be to change the ward-selection multiplexer to handle a variable number of wards, instead of a set number. Now, I don't know how their multiplexer works, but I'd expect this would be something you could hand to a junior developer and have done in a week. Two, with QA. That would give you one where they'd manually assign wards to servers. Adding an automated system to do this would lighten the load on their end, but considering we're only talking about a small number of wards (a few hundred, tops), they'd get more bang from their buck by simply having someone look at server stats every week or two and manually doing it.

Now, granted, this is all extrapolation from a position of ignorance, but seriously: If I could figure out a way to do this with a typical MMO server architecture using a team of 3 in two weeks, how hard can it be for them? Even if you assume that their architecture is especially Rube Goldberg-esque, you're only adding an order of magnitude to this. A team of 3 operating for the length of time it takes to do a major point release (2.4 to 2.5, say). That's still a cheap and easy win.

*SE is known for doing their own crazy thing, but if I were doing it, I'd have chat be an XMPP server, with all the groupings handled by XMPP contact management, linkshells as multi-user rooms, etc. Now I don't think SE use XMPP, but the basic concepts are the same for any chat system. Other games do this, which makes chat a no-brainer in them - Eve Online and Star Trek Online, for instance, are known to use XMPP.