Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra - How will your character react? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra - How will your character react? (/showthread.php?tid=11858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Aaron - 06-05-2015

"So you're Elezen with horns? "

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Uther - 06-05-2015

Amadeus doesn't care what you look like or where you're from. He's seen weird shit. He isn't surprised easily.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seye Qhesu - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 09:25 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 08:53 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: I really don't understand this and maybe I'm missing something, but what is there that's enjoyable about being treated like a racial minority circa late 1800s?

It has story potential.  The need to prove yourself to people who fundamentally suspect or dislike you.  Being misunderstood/distrusted and having to win the trust of those around you.  As Seriphyn pointed out, not everyone will welcome this kind of conflict but many people will see it as the beginning of an interesting story.
I am with Lilia on this. It has potential. Some players do not like conflict or would love for their characters to be instantly accepted in to society. My Au'ra, I don't want her to just be accepted as if she is the girl down the street. She is still new to Ul'dah and her people aren't seen elsewhere but though the MSQ right now. I am a firm believer that people fear what they do not understand and I am certain people will fear Au'ra at first because they do not understand them. Especially with how the beast tribes are and well...she has been called a Lizard girl several times.

I see this as a way for her to grow and deal with the IC strife players can give her rather then just working off her past as her only conflict in life. If people do not feel comfortable with their characters being treated as such they are always able to walk their character away from the conflict. The player always has the power in the end.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Gone. - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 08:53 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: I really don't understand this and maybe I'm missing something, but what is there that's enjoyable about being treated like a racial minority circa late 1800s?

It has story potential.  The need to prove yourself to people who fundamentally suspect or dislike you.  Being misunderstood/distrusted and having to win the trust of those around you.  As Seriphyn pointed out, not everyone will welcome this kind of conflict but many people will see it as the beginning of an interesting story.

What is there to prove? Au Ra were born like that, it's not their problem to begin with.

Racial tension is one thing, sure. It's there in the game (and much more tasteful in comparison), but lets be honest; a lot of this is just a glorified excuse to bring OOC feelings about Au Ra design into RP just like with the Miqo'te before them. It's going to burn bridges, not build them.

Besides, it's insulting and disrespectful to those of us that actually have to deal with being a minority. I get enough harassment in real-life as-is; I certainly don't need any of it here, not when I'm trying my hardest to escape from my worldly woes for at least an hour or two.

Edit: For the record, I'm fine with fictionalized conflict, but only when it's actually justified. This isn't.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Lilia Lia - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 10:18 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: Edit: For the record, I'm fine with fictionalized conflict, but only when it's actually justified. This isn't.

Have you read the comments in this thread?  We've given a lot of very solid reasons that Au Ra might not be readily accepted.  Namely, they are foreign and never-before-seen, they are suddenly springing up, and in the RP community many of them have secretly been concealing their identities.

I can't speak for everyone but at least in my case, there's no OOC hatred of the race.  I may make an Au Ra someday, especially if they have interesting race lore.  If this seems to you like an OOC-ly motivated backlash against the new race, then I'm sorry, but I sincerely think we all have good intentions and are just thinking about what makes the most sense RP-wise.

It also seems like most of us accept that not everyone will be open to this kind of RP, so as long as you are up front with people about not wanting to play your Au Ra as a "persecuted minority," I think people will probably be willing to make compromises for you.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seye Qhesu - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 10:18 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:

What is there to prove? Au Ra were born like that, it's not their problem to begin with.

Racial tension is one thing, sure. It's there in the game (and much more tasteful in comparison), but lets be honest; a lot of this is just a glorified excuse to bring OOC feelings about Au Ra design into RP just like with the Miqo'te before them. It's going to burn bridges, not build them.

Besides, it's insulting and disrespectful to those of us that actually have to deal with being a minority. I get enough harassment in real-life as-is; I certainly don't need any of it here, not when I'm trying my hardest to escape from my worldly woes for at least an hour or two.

Edit: For the record, I'm fine with fictionalized conflict, but only when it's actually justified. This isn't.
Forgive me, but I am confused as to what you are trying to pull from the conflict idea of rp. What personal matters are going to be brought forth by players that NPCs most likely will not say on their own?

"Has horns, probably a void sent!" ?
"Looks different!"?
"Looks untrustworthy!"?
"Is a beast that will still our children off in the night!"?

I feel as if this is suddenly more personal for you then it should be; as if you are linking your past experiences with something ingame that should not be linked. Perhaps, if this is an issue for you it might be best that you take a breath and step back for a moment.

[youtube]LOHTvwTu59w[/youtube]

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - U'roh Tia - 06-05-2015

Roh will see these new visitors with curiosity, he sees that they are beings much like himself and will treat them with such respect as they deserve and will want to learn of their culture. But he will also be suspicious of their reasons for hiding so long. But with recent events in his life anyway U'roh is already fairly suspicious.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - shotgunbadger - 06-05-2015

Zutoto's 100% interested in them and eager to learn more.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Edgar - 06-05-2015

Edgar is a bit of a unique character. Edgar has a tail, furry ears on the top of his head, and fangs. His eye is broken, and topping it all off, he is considered a rarity among his own species due to a mixed heritage. As a result of all of this, he can empathize with the state of Au Ra as "strange" or "out of place" in Eorzea, and will probably not judge as much as endeavor to learn more about them. The worst he may do is tap their horns to see if they're hollow or not. 

Koporo, however, may be less conditioned. Although he is not racist, he has a nasty habit of calling things as he sees them ("SCALY LIZARD FELLARS WIT THEIR HORNS"). For his sake, the Au Ra in question better be patient.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Seren - 06-06-2015

Storyline wise my character is first meeting an Au Ra when he comes to collect a bounty on her. (my friend's character obviously)

So she is going to throw lots of rocks at him.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Orlog - 06-06-2015

Jacq is going to be somewhat curious, but largely neutral on the whole thing. In her lack of experience with the world, she pretty much assumes that there's a lot of places and races out there that she has yet to actually see for herself.

There's going to be a lot of confusion on how they actually work, biologically, though. Those horns are RIGHT on the temples. Give that shit a good shove and you've got yourself an easy kill.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Arter Wood - 06-06-2015

Depends on how well they're acquainted in Coerthas. If they're against The Holy See and all, that means my character will probably be downright hateful of it.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Verad - 06-07-2015

(06-05-2015, 10:18 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: What is there to prove? Au Ra were born like that, it's not their problem to begin with.

What defines a justified fictional conflict?

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-08-2015

(06-07-2015, 10:51 PM)Verad Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 10:18 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: What is there to prove? Au Ra were born like that, it's not their problem to begin with.

What defines a justified fictional conflict?

One supported by the lore and the story of the game.

For example, if they created true blood garleans as a playable race. Obviously tension between them and other PCs would make sense given the lore, it would be a justified fictional conflict (I don't really like that nomenclature though)

Reacting with hostility to the Au Ra is kind of unjustified though, unless your character has a personal reason for doing so. They're just newcomers to a new land. I can see shock, interest, curiosity, but any large scale hostility (except maybe for things like THEY'RE GONNA TAKE OUR JOBS, or the other bits of generalized discontent immigrant populations tend to bring) seems manufactured to me.

Yes they look kind of... beasty, but so do Miqo'te. Other beastlike tribes are perfectly accepted in Eorzean culture, so I just don't see most people being all that freaked out.

RE: Au Ra - How will your character react? - Verad - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 12:10 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: One supported by the lore and the story of the game.

For example, if they created true blood garleans as a playable race. Obviously tension between them and other PCs would make sense given the lore, it would be a justified fictional conflict (I don't really like that nomenclature though)

Reacting with hostility to the Au Ra is kind of unjustified though, unless your character has a personal reason for doing so. They're just newcomers to a new land. I can see shock, interest, curiosity, but any large scale hostility (except maybe for things like THEY'RE GONNA TAKE OUR JOBS, or the other bits of generalized discontent immigrant populations tend to bring) seems manufactured to me.

Yes they look kind of... beasty, but so do Miqo'te. Other beastlike tribes are perfectly accepted in Eorzean culture, so I just don't see most people being all that freaked out.

By that definition, I don't think we can say much one way or the another about conflict being unjustifiable, because we don't know much of anything about their lore or their story - only their appearance.

If it turns out that there's longstanding antipathy between Ishgard and the Au Ra clans, for example, suddenly there's a justifiable in-setting conflict, one that a number of Ishgardian RPers are going to need to incorporate. I don't know if that's likely or not, but it's a possibility. Or maybe they have very harmonious relations and then there's even less justification. 

But that's one possible definition. Vetiver's definition seemed to have more to do with whether it might make other players uncomfortable, or whether the conflict served some kind of thematic purpose. So to continue in that vein, if we find it's possible that this kind of conflict is justifiable through in-game lore, is it still unjustified for other reasons?