Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra Naming Conventions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra Naming Conventions (/showthread.php?tid=12122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Griffith! - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: Ok did I really read one tribe has sex with horses ooooooorrrrrrrr did I drug myself and not know it?

Haha... no, they just marry the horses. They draw lots to see which Au ra mates with which Au ra. They don't actually mate with the horses.

Ambiguous English for the win, amiright?

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Aris - 06-18-2015

There are some interesting ideas here! I'm really excited. I just hope people remember that the things mentioned only have to be a small feature of the clan and don't have to define it or your character.

To me that seemed like the biggest problem with Seeker tribes - everyone was so focused on the Nunh & breeding part of things, but there would be lots of other factors that made up the tribe too.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Ritual - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: Ok did I really read one tribe has sex with horses ooooooorrrrrrrr did I drug myself and not know it?
They only marry them, from the description, it says reproductive mates are chosen from a lot, this I think kinda implies they just put their names in a hat and pull out an Au Ra female and males name, now they go make Snu Snu and I assume it's the same for the horses, though ofcourse a bit more of an Auri themed lot than the hat idea.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Magellan - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 09:56 AM)Ritual Wrote:
They only marry them, from the description, it says reproductive mates are chosen from a lot, this I think kinda implies they just put their names in a hat and pull out an Au Ra female and males name, now they go make Snu Snu and I assume it's the same for the horses, though ofcourse a bit more of an Auri themed lot than the hat idea.
So... do they know how to ride a horse or not?

Oh gods, I am going to have such a hard time taking X'aela seriously...

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - K'nahli - 06-18-2015

Don't let misunderstandings turn Au Ra into the next, lame Shiva joke pleas ;_;

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Caspar - 06-18-2015

That's so cool that they're Mongol-esque names.

I think the marriage to the horse thing is a symbolic ceremony that gives you an idea of how seriously that tribe takes horsemanship. I'm not going to make fun of it, as it seems pretty inspired by the Mongols.

Damn that would be the most awkward first night though. Both man and woman draw lots, enter a tent and doubletake. "Aw hell no!" in unison.

And the Gesi tribe use atlatl, practically. That's exciting. I want to see a character wield an atlatl IC someday.

Questir is hardmode rp. I dare you to play one of those.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Ritual - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 09:59 AM)Magellan Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:56 AM)Ritual Wrote:
So... do they know how to ride a horse or not?

Oh gods, I am going to have such a hard time taking X'aela seriously...
Depends on the... type of riding you're refering to... I'd assume the regular horse back riding is something they practice from an early age... the other kind? Well, as with all civilisations I'm sure there are a few... creative people lets say.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Gone. - 06-18-2015

Glad to know Vetiver Kaji and Foxglove Kyo will blend right in without having to change a thing. :3 I just can't let go of my traditional flower/herb/spice forename + actor surname, not when I've rolled with it for the past several years.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Gegenji - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Caspar Wrote: I think the marriage to the horse thing is a symbolic ceremony that gives you an idea of how seriously that tribe takes horsemanship.

Oh definitely. Horsemanship seems to be quite important to the Xaela - or at least for those in environs that support them. After all, we have one tribe that's famous for taming even the wildest horses, one that weds them, and one that spends almost all their life in the saddle.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Mercer - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 10:12 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Caspar Wrote: I think the marriage to the horse thing is a symbolic ceremony that gives you an idea of how seriously that tribe takes horsemanship.

Oh definitely. Horsemanship seems to be quite important to the Xaela - or at least for those in environs that support them. After all, we have one tribe that's famous for taming even the wildest horses, one that weds them, and one that spends almost all their life in the saddle.

Given the Mongolian roots of the race, that much is for sure.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Martiallais - 06-18-2015

Boy they sure took it down to the wire, eh? But it's a lot of good stuff so I can't complain TOO much. Big Grin

Now to go brainstorm furiously. I'm already super picky with my names, so this may take a while.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Cato - 06-18-2015

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of the naming conventions. Mostly due to personal preference. I'm hoping there's clear examples of Au Ra working with the Garlean Empire so I can shamelessly give mine a Garlean name instead...

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Mercer - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 10:20 AM)Graeham Wrote: I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of the naming conventions. Mostly due to personal preference. I'm hoping there's clear examples of Au Ra working with the Garlean Empire so I can shamelessly give mine a Garlean name instead...

Given the nature of Doma's destruction I doubt any Garlean aligned Au Ra would be looked at fondly.

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - K'nahli - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Caspar Wrote: I'm not going to make fun of it, as it seems pretty inspired by the Mongols.

*Whoosh* !

I honestly didn't even realise the connection until you mentioned it, hahaha. Nice, very nice >w<

I guess I will definitely look into getting a Sleipnir mount(though I sincerely hope they release a lot more feasible horses like the Frontline version, only with without the barding).

Edit:
*fixes numerous typos ;  *

RE: Au Ra Naming Conventions - Cailean Lockwood - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 10:25 AM)K Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Caspar Wrote: I'm not going to make fun of it, as it seems pretty inspired by the Mongols.

*Whoosh* !

I honestly didn't even realise the connection until you mentioned it, hahaha. Nice, very nice >w<

I guess I will definitely look into getting a Sleipnir mount(though I sincerely hope they release a lot more feasible horses like the Frontline version, only with without the barding).

Which makes me think Odin was a Xaela of the Goro tribe, and Sleipner is his wife.