Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pros and Cons of Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Pros and Cons of Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=15178)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - LiadansWhisper - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 01:05 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: There's an issue with those statistics.

They report on characters created. Not characters logged in. Or characters most actively used.

When 2.0 came out, nearly everyone I knew had a male Miqo'te because that was the shiny new thing. (Female Roegadyn too, but people wanted cutesy races :< ). Just like now, we've got a mass surge of Au Ra from 3.0. If additional races are added, you can sure as bet good money there will be a huge influx of people who fantasia over to it.

At the same time, people should be able to play the race/gender they want. The game lore gives us what the world expects, but that can't adjust what the players want.

Yep. Technically I am contributing to the statistics because I have a Miqo'te alt I created to tend the garden in a friend's FC (who has never been actively played, mind you) and a Lalafell alt who I made as a joke but might someday play. Laugh

Edit: Also, OP, I'm not sure that anyone cares all that much about ERP. I know that certain people are saying that it's "heavily sitgmatized," but in truth, most people really don't give a shit about what other people do in the privacy of their whispers or party chat (or their houses). Just like in real life, most people understand that it's no one else's business.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Warren Castille - 02-10-2016

In fairness, SE has stated that miqo'te are supposed to be something of a rarity and that no one in Eorzea is very familiar with Au Ra.

This was pretty stupid to do, given what they know about FFXI's demographics.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - SicketySix - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 01:13 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: In fairness, SE has stated that miqo'te are supposed to be something of a rarity
And yet they threw in tons of them as NPCs.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - LiadansWhisper - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 01:16 PM)Rtah Tia Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 01:13 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: In fairness, SE has stated that miqo'te are supposed to be something of a rarity
And yet they threw in tons of them as NPCs.

I think that goes back to Warren's statement that it was a pretty stupid move on their part.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Edgar - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 01:13 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: In fairness, SE has stated that miqo'te are supposed to be something of a rarity and that no one in Eorzea is very familiar with Au Ra.

This was pretty stupid to do, given what they know about FFXI's demographics.

Make anything a rarity and everyone will want to play it. Nothing wrong with that, and hell, if you play it off as if the people you don't interact with don't exist in your personal canon, technically, you're just as rare as they said.

What I take issue with is when people get all confrontational when the devs stick to what they said so they can feel justified in playing it. It's weird, how, in trying to be unique or special, they try to make it so nothing can be. 

Play what you want and have fun with it, sheesh.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Burd - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 12:41 PM)Cosma Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 07:38 PM)Minevato Wrote: Hello everyone! I know that obviously this is a very Balmung and Gilgamesh-focused website since those are the main RP servers, however I was wondering what your Pros and Cons for Balmung would be? I am considering making an alt to transfer there but I just want to basically know a little of what to expect before I spend the money. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I ended up moving and deleting my RP characters from Balmung, leaving just an old legacy character. The main reason was a lack of diversity. All FFXIV Worlds are skewed against certain races, but Balmung takes the NA average and completely inverts it. Based on December Lodestone data, 32% of all characters >Lv20 are either Miqo'te or Au Ra females. That's one in three... among almost 30000 characters.

While I grant it's a fantasy game not fully tailored to Western sensibilities, and it's a flawed game that is nonetheless fun to play in many respects, the demographics of Balmung made no sense in the context of Eorzea's lore and were so boring to me that I tired of seeking out the kind of content I wanted.

Judging by your avatar, this is not a problem for you, but it is a point some may want to consider.

In any case, best of luck to you.

I'm putting the blame on Square for the Miqo'te population. If you're going to declare in the lore that a particular race is uncommon/rare, don't make it a playable race. You can't expect players not to roll them, especially when that race was designed to have such a high appeal to the target audience. You also have to account for the non-RPers who make up a good chunk of that population and are going to roll a cat girl/boy regardless of what the lore says. So there will be lots of them running around. It's unavoidable, so I really don't take issue with it.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Sylastair - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 03:22 PM)Burd Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 12:41 PM)Cosma Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 07:38 PM)Minevato Wrote: Hello everyone! I know that obviously this is a very Balmung and Gilgamesh-focused website since those are the main RP servers, however I was wondering what your Pros and Cons for Balmung would be? I am considering making an alt to transfer there but I just want to basically know a little of what to expect before I spend the money. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I ended up moving and deleting my RP characters from Balmung, leaving just an old legacy character. The main reason was a lack of diversity. All FFXIV Worlds are skewed against certain races, but Balmung takes the NA average and completely inverts it. Based on December Lodestone data, 32% of all characters >Lv20 are either Miqo'te or Au Ra females. That's one in three... among almost 30000 characters.

While I grant it's a fantasy game not fully tailored to Western sensibilities, and it's a flawed game that is nonetheless fun to play in many respects, the demographics of Balmung made no sense in the context of Eorzea's lore and were so boring to me that I tired of seeking out the kind of content I wanted.

Judging by your avatar, this is not a problem for you, but it is a point some may want to consider.

In any case, best of luck to you.

I'm putting the blame on Square for the Miqo'te population. If you're going to declare in the lore that a particular race is uncommon/rare, don't make it a playable race. You can't expect players not to roll them, especially when that race was designed to have such a high appeal to the target audience. You also have to account for the non-RPers who make up a good chunk of that population and are going to roll a cat girl/boy regardless of what the lore says. So there will be lots of them running around. It's unavoidable, so I really don't take issue with it.
This brings up an interesting question though, while some may choose to leave for the sake of immersion, have others begun to ignore or 'forget' that piece of lore or justify it with headcannons as to why we see so many more than there should be? This question isn't really in line with this thread, but I think an interesting discussion nonetheless.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - FreelanceWizard - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 03:29 PM)Flynt Knoltros Wrote: This brings up an interesting question though, while some may choose to leave for the sake of immersion, have others begun to ignore or 'forget' that piece of lore or justify it with headcannons as to why we see so many more than there should be? This question isn't really in line with this thread, but I think an interesting discussion nonetheless.

I know I'm not helping with being on-topic and all, but it's worth noting that PCs are tiny percentage of the overall characters that exist in Eorzea. That two particular "rare" races may be over-represented in this set isn't really non-compliant with lore; it actually indicates that there's a selection bias there that makes PCs not representative of the population. Given that PCs are largely class-wielding doers of derring-do, I think it's safe to say they're already not representative of the population. Tongue I'd also note that you can have a rare event happen in a larger population without throwing off the overall statistics, and that a fair coin can flip heads five times in a row without being an unfair coin. There's your explanation; no headcanon is required. Smile

To the original topic, I think most of the pros and cons have already been stated. I can't underscore enough, though, the difficulty of getting onto Balmung. Yes, you can blow $18 for a server transfer, but you'd best make sure you have all of your alts already created or you'll find yourself stuck should you ever want to play a different character. One con (or, I suppose to me, a pro) that I didn't see mentioned is that, because of the large RP population on Balmung, there's no single unified "community" of RP. While Balmung is well-represented on the RPC and, so I'm told, Tumblr, there's a pretty large set of RPers who don't use either of those things. This is a pro in that there's no "community standards" to attempt to enforce specific views on RP, and in that you can, with some searching, find whatever RP you like; it's a con if you would prefer a more tightly-knit RP community where stories interconnect much more.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 03:29 PM)Flynt Knoltros Wrote: This brings up an interesting question though, while some may choose to leave for the sake of immersion, have others begun to ignore or 'forget' that piece of lore or justify it with headcannons as to why we see so many more than there should be? This question isn't really in line with this thread, but I think an interesting discussion nonetheless.

I just assume what we see in game is only a small fraction of what would actually be available. A city that could be ran through in a matter of minutes would be a pretty small city, after all.

So...sure, we see a lot of "rare" races in our playtime, but there's likely far, far more of the more "common" races to fill it out in the background.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 03:46 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

I just assume what we see in game is only a small fraction of what would actually be available. A city that could be ran through in a matter of minutes would be a pretty small city, after all.

So...sure, we see a lot of "rare" races in our playtime, but there's likely far, far more of the more "common" races to fill it out in the background.
You can look at things like the ARR cinematic, which has what appears to be thousands of soldiers fighting.

The actual scale of things is much larger, but in order to make the world fit on a PS3, some sacrifices had to be made.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Faye - 02-10-2016

Cons:

- Occasional short login queues
- Housing is full/overly expensive
- Difficult to join without transferring
- Difficult to make alts here without transferring
- Community is large and established, so if you're coming here expecting to make a big name for yourself on the server with minimal effort, good luck.
- Big population means more people to hate

Pros:

- Less gold spam/bots than other servers
- Large, active, established RP community
- Plenty of linkshells and FC's to choose from
- Lots of community events and open RP
- Big population means more people to love

Mod edit: Disruptive/off-topic commentary removed. Please stay on topic, thank you!

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Kage - 02-10-2016

I know that I'm not posting a list of pros and cons, other people have gone on to describe that enough.

Think of joining Balmung as joining a new place of work. Perhaps I was just -too privileged- when I went to high school but the comparisons are just laughable to me.

You are always going to gravitate towards a specific group of friends. You're going to be friendly with a very large group of people but you cannot just hang out with each and every single other person. What it is is personal dissatisfaction. You want -that- person or -that- group to be your close friend or your tight-knit family. Unfortunately, that isn't always going to be the case. It's human nature, not all of us will perfectly jive with one another.

Most people are not going to go on a personal smear vendetta campaign unless you've actually wronged them* (tumblr mobs aside and these have been in very specific cases). You do not harass a player. You do not act like a creeper. You don't do that? Good, you have no need to worry about having your name besmirched. No one really wants to pursue drama; it takes way too much energy to be that negative. Very few cases out of the multitudes of people there are on Balmung. It's just that because you have lots of people you will get lots of types.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Maril - 02-10-2016

/Modhat on

Please keep the tone decent in the thread. I am going to do some cleaning to remove off-topic and disruptive posts. 

/Modhat off

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Edda - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 03:56 PM)Faye Wrote: Pros:

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more often.

Remember back at launch when, if you left shout chat on, when you ported in to Ul'dah, your chat box would be inundated with 60km/s gold bot spam? Back then you had to manually blacklist them too, and there was no system in place to curtail chat spam. I remember making it my VOCATION to go out and kill bots in the field with my crafty tricks.

These days you see a pack of bots and think "Hm wow, Balmung must have been open for about 5 minutes at some point this past week" and then forget about it.

Funnily enough, this pro for us is also a pro for the gold farmers. They can basically charge whatever they want for gil on Balmung - seriously, go compare server prices if you find the time. It's hilarious.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 08:04 PM)Edda Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 03:56 PM)Faye Wrote: Pros:

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more often.

Remember back at launch when, if you left shout chat on, when you ported in to Ul'dah, your chat box would be inundated with 60km/s gold bot spam? Back then you had to manually blacklist them too, and there was no system in place to curtail chat spam. I remember making it my VOCATION to go out and kill bots in the field with my crafty tricks.

These days you see a pack of bots and think "Hm wow, Balmung must have been open for about 5 minutes at some point this past week" and then forget about it.

Funnily enough, this pro for us is also a pro for the gold farmers. They can basically charge whatever they want for gil on Balmung - seriously, go compare server prices if you find the time. It's hilarious.
On the other hand prices are a lot lower here. Things that sell for 99gil here are 5-10x that on servers like Gilgamesh. 

So things seem to be better all around economy wise (unless you gather)