Hydaelyn Role-Players
With beta right around the corner - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: With beta right around the corner (/showthread.php?tid=1691)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: With beta right around the corner - Vareal - 02-24-2013

Is there somewhere where we can talk about the beta privately without it being public knowledge? Because there's already a server list up on the beta forums, but I'm not sure if I should mention them...here?

**edit**
Oh...wait... I get it! xD nvm that I asked.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Rhio - 02-25-2013

Hope to see some folks there, possibly nursing the same grudge as everyone else.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Ryanti - 02-25-2013

That lantern is not there for light.

It is there for murder.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Rhostel - 02-25-2013

[youtube]T4xbQ4cywlM[/youtube]

OOPS WRONG THREAD. I JUST REALLY LIKE THIS BIT FROM THE LION KING.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Ryanti - 02-25-2013

*edit*

It's best I leave it this way. I'll come up with a safe post later on.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Darkfae - 02-27-2013

I think there should be far more coordination that "day of", or else we're just asking for a hornet's nest of drama to spawn; granted, it might not, but it is a terrible idea. I'm also very against the "Go to X number on the server list", especially if said number is in the 1 - 3 range or the last three or four servers in a list - lots of people make those kinds of decisions, and we could end up on an over populated server where we're the extreme minority (as we're likely always going to be a minority, but possibly not the smallest minority).

Beta 4 is an Open Beta, in which characters will persist through launch, which implies that the servers for that beta will be the live servers. Some people will be getting in for Beta 3 for the import testing, so those members of the site should work behind-the-scenes (cus NDA) to select a server at that time, in case they transfer over into Beta 4. At the point of Beta 4 opening, said server can be revealed and people can shuffle their characters there as they make them or possibly import them.

This is placing a lot of trust on the members of this site who make it into Beta 3, and will require a bit of work from them, but I think its the best direction to take in the matter. It will reach a lot more players, it is a lot more stable than saying "Go to X number server in the list", and hopefully we can end up somewhere that won't end up getting over populated.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Rhio - 02-27-2013

I believe this discussion chiefly concerns beta server selection, not live server selection. We've been told that the final server list will likely contain a server designated as the RP destination, and all players will be given the option to transfer as they wish, so I believe at that point life will be somewhat more straightforward.

That having been said, I could be wrong.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Ryanti - 02-27-2013

Am I the only one that thinks starting over is awesome?

It's a MMO that's reborn. Starting at 50 would kind of.. kill the process for me in regards to playing a whole different new game. I believe even if I was 50, I'd start over anyway, just because to me it's a whole new game.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Rhio - 02-28-2013

(02-27-2013, 11:50 PM)Ryanti Veanysus Wrote: I believe even if I was 50, I'd start over anyway, just because to me it's a whole new game.

See, I don't know that this is necessarily the same for everyone.

I'm definitely looking forward to all of the new things that start at level 1 and go from there. I've got several classes midway along the leveling path, as well, so there's going to be plenty for me to do on my non-50 options, and I've got an entirely new class to play as well. I also do intend to roll a couple of new characters along the way, to see things new from the ground up.

But starting over entirely is something I couldn't do, because that would mean leaving behind a character at the end of the old game. Leaving behind a character whose story ended with her alone, separated from every single person and place she loved, waiting for death in the desperate hope that it would give her life up to that point some meaning. You can argue that recreating her would be fundamentally the same, that I could just fudge it and say it's the same person, but she'd be missing possessions that matter, a history that matters, the time I spent playing her from launch until the game went cold and dark.

Starting fresh is really neat. But I'd rather be exploring a strange and yet familiar world with an old friend.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Deirdre - 02-28-2013

(02-27-2013, 11:50 PM)Ryanti Veanysus Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks starting over is awesome?

It's a MMO that's reborn. Starting at 50 would kind of.. kill the process for me in regards to playing a whole different new game. I believe even if I was 50, I'd start over anyway, just because to me it's a whole new game.

Personally, I have too much time (RP wise and grinding wise) invested in to my character to simply re-roll her. It would ax all the development I've made over the last 2 years, and make her less of a character for it, lacking those experiences.

Though I will be starting a secondary alt character, because I do enjoy experiencing the game.

As a note on the server selections, when 1.0 first came out we agreed on a server beforehand, and everyone on the RPC seemed to be on the same page. Same thing goes with beta. ^-^ Don't think it will be too big an issue.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Gerik - 02-28-2013

(02-27-2013, 11:50 PM)Ryanti Veanysus Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks starting over is awesome?

Psssssst, you should probably change your avatar. 

It's from beta, NDA and all.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Ryanti - 02-28-2013

Ah, didn't think about that.

Well I never made any progress with RP in 1.0 so I guess that's the difference there.

(02-28-2013, 12:25 AM)Gerik Wrote:

Psssssst, you should probably change your avatar. 

It's from beta, NDA and all.

Ah, Jesus. Really? Fine I'll change it back. I didn't get it from there though.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Rhio - 02-28-2013

(02-28-2013, 12:25 AM)Ryanti Veanysus Wrote: Well I never made any progress with RP in 1.0 so I guess that's the difference there.

Don't worry; you'll get plenty of time in 2.0 to roleplay and start getting all associative with your character.

It's not as creepy as it sounds.

RE: With beta right around the corner - Ryanti - 02-28-2013

(02-28-2013, 12:47 AM)Rhio Wrote:
(02-28-2013, 12:25 AM)Ryanti Veanysus Wrote: Well I never made any progress with RP in 1.0 so I guess that's the difference there.

Don't worry; you'll get plenty of time in 2.0 to roleplay and start getting all associative with your character.

It's not as creepy as it sounds.

I've gotten really close to my characters in other forms of RP.. so I'm already not as creepy as I sound.