Hydaelyn Role-Players
Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. (/showthread.php?tid=3391)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Myxie Tryxle - 08-13-2013

Mostly I was speaking from what I imagine to be a game designer's point of view, not that of individuals with individual preferences. Personally I love the way thaumaturge plays. I plan to start phase 4 as an arcanist, since the way I've been roleplaying Myxie is very scholarly and bookish, but if it doesn't play the way I'd like, I'll be right back to fireballs and blizzards. My point was that having one class with twice the potential of the seven other classes is going to skew game balance to make that class more attractive, at least until other classes also have options. In general, the MMO community tends to react strongly to even slight perceptions of class imbalance. One class = one job is likely the fairest way to balance it until all eight classes have multiple job options.

RE: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Naunet - 08-13-2013

(08-13-2013, 06:34 PM)Myxie Tryxle Wrote: Mostly I was speaking from what I imagine to be a game designer's point of view, not that of individuals with individual preferences.

I wasn't talking about individual preferences at all. I was talking about actual class mechanic balance.

RE: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Ashren Dotharl - 08-13-2013

(08-13-2013, 05:04 PM)Naunet Wrote: Base classes don't share stat points with jobs
I just wanted to clarify that based on the information given by Hvirine in the post I quoted, this is no longer the case. Whatever stats you put into your class are going to be the stats you have for your Job, this is why Scholar and Summoner will share attribute distribution.

As far as I see it, Jobs are basically your talent specs and you can only get the most out of them if you decide to spec completely into one area, though nothing stops you from splitting between the two of them. As far as stats go, the devs have commented several times how they do not use different stats from WHM and BLM, so you will need to pick between INT and MND.

(08-13-2013, 10:06 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: I just wanted to clarify that based on the information given by Hvirine in the post I quoted, this is no longer the case. Whatever stats you put into your class are going to be the stats you have for your Job, this is why Scholar and Summoner will share attribute distribution.

That would be exceedingly silly and not intuitive at all, considering ACN is a dps class, while SCH is a healer. If your points don't change when you switch to a job from a class, you're going to have a lot of people leveling ACN and finding out that they wasted 15 or so points on INT.

If that is the case, it is a very, very poor design decision.

RE: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Ashren Dotharl - 08-13-2013

(08-13-2013, 10:15 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(08-13-2013, 10:06 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: I just wanted to clarify that based on the information given by Hvirine in the post I quoted, this is no longer the case. Whatever stats you put into your class are going to be the stats you have for your Job, this is why Scholar and Summoner will share attribute distribution.

That would be exceedingly silly and not intuitive at all, considering ACN is a dps class, while SCH is a healer. If your points don't change when you switch to a job from a class, you're going to have a lot of people leveling ACN and finding out that they wasted 15 or so points on INT.

If that is the case, it is a very, very poor design decision.

Hvinire Wrote:In version 1.0, stats could be allocated for both the class and for the job. However, in A Realm Reborn, you will now only be able to allocate points for the class itself.

Based on this statement, that is in fact how it will work. Yoshida also commented that it won't be possible to just change your stat allocations whenever you want, so I'm assuming it will require an item that is relatively difficult to obtain (like it was in 1.0) or it will be exceedingly expensive. In either case, consider this thread a warning to spend your points wisely when leveling Arcanist, because the choices you make are the ones you're stuck with regardless of which Job you pick.

Very unhappy camper. >:/

RE: Arcanist Attributes and future jobs. - Sounsyy - 08-14-2013

Ashren beat me to it already, but to clarify the point for any skimming over. There is only one set of allocation points. This is for classes. You get 30 points and 30 points only. 

Separate from allocation points, when you switch from class to job, your base stats will alter to reflect your job. (Example: In 1.0 when you switched from GLA to PLD you got a huge boost to VIT and MND but took a hit to your INT stat.) I image that Arcanist will have an about even MND to INT ratio, with INT maybe coming out a little higher. When you swap to SMN, your base INT rating will increase. When you swap to SCH your base MND will increase. Again, this is separate from allocation points.

Show Content