Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur (/showthread.php?tid=3438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Colyer - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 11:50 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: My room mate has the Garlond goggles on his Lalafell with the shaved head, makes him look like a mini Riddick.

ha.. I wish they gave had a grumpy face option for the Lalafell - wanted to make a curmudgeonly white mage who would likely give someone a smack on the back of the head with his staff for being reckless after healing them of course.

And my vote tied it up at 17.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Ildur - 08-09-2013

I'm sure he's an adorable mini-ridick.

You shouldn't resist the Lalaification! You could make all the young women go 'dawwww!' just by entering a room! And you could be named something awesome like Ashren Snowen, or Ashashren Snosnoren.

Okay, maybe not that last one.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - DimmerMeerkat - 08-10-2013

I voted Hyur. I like the design you picked out for him more as a Hyur than the one picked as a Miqo'. There are tons of Miqo's obviously (and I'm not saying that you shouldn't roll one for that reason), and a lot of us look the same. In Phase 3 I think I encountered maybe 2 or 3 Hyur males, and uncountable Miqo'tes. For that reason it's harder to stick out as a Miqo--if sticking out is what you're going for.

[Warning: My unpopular point of view follows. Please skip if tempted to hijack the thread with another Miqo'te-related argument.]
Show Content
[End opinionated opinions.]

But all that aside, do what you think you'll enjoy most. What fits the character you have planned? What do you find more pleasing to play? At the end of the day, it's not really about pleasing other people--just yourself. I actually would recommend making a list of pros and cons for both and weighing your options if it's still a difficult decision.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Ashren Dotharl - 08-10-2013

The character idea I have could easily work for either Hyur or Miqo'te, so I would only need to change a few details to fit if I decided to go with a Hyur. As a Miqo'te he was refused a tribal name because of his appearance and his tribe trying to put as much distance between him and them as they could, he was eventually abandoned and then adopted which is where the name Ashren came from. Snow isn't his actual last name, but a nickname of sorts and could be used interchangeably with Ashren.

The issue of course that I'm having is I really like both looks, but I'm the type of person that hates having alts because I prefer to just do as much possible on one character, and expand my main in RP with more connections and more meaningful RP, so I'd rather pick one or the other than use both as a main and alt. Ashren is supposed to be severely pale (he's a albino in fact) and severely scarred, though none of the Miqo'te faces really have a lot of scars, the Hyur one did however. Neither one of them can really be... albino pale, so neither one of them really wins as far as that goes, but one thing I did notice was that the Hyur eye coloring works better for him being partially blind in one eye, for the Miqo'te it just looks like he has mismatched eye colors.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - allgivenover - 08-10-2013

The Hyur has a rather dramatic look to him. I also love that hair and was thinking of using it for an alt.

Also I'm not horrible fond of the Miqo'te hair, but it was the only one that looked kind of wild beyond the braids, everything else looks too posh.

So I find myself leaning a tiny bit more towards the Hyur because he really does seem to stand out a bit more as a unique looking character. Sadly this has a lot to do with the fact that Hyur have way more customization options than the Miqo'te do. For one they have a lot more face choices than the Miqo'te do, and each category (jaw, eyes, nose, etc) seems to vary a great deal more in appearance than the options for the Miqo'te, meaning that each Miqo'te face will only barely deviate from each other no matter how to customize it, while the Hyur faces tend to change quite a bit.

Still I do love my Miqo'te build, he has a very rough and gritty appearance that is not common for most of the Miqo'te I have seen, something that could definitely make him stand out a bit more. In either case I took a few more screenshots I'd like to share for any who is willing to give me some more input to help decide which of these two I'll end up using at launch.

Show Content

As you can see the Miqo'te portion of his history is only a minor detail, this can easily be retcon'd so I am in no way attached to the prospect of him being a Miqo'te for my story to work.

Now for the screenshots!

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Annaveil - 08-10-2013

lol! I love how this has become as big as it has. It's hilarious that we all agree that they both look great!

And humm. I still think the Miqo'te looks more battle-weary and such but the Hyur is definitely a hottie.

You could always make him a Were-Miqo'te and have him shift between the two!...

No?

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Falkner - 08-10-2013

Please make both, Mr. Snow, and then at launch you could get them to the barber and see who appeals more to you after additional barber-only haircuts, skin treatments, softlenses... Smile

(08-10-2013, 09:28 AM)Annaveil Wrote: lol! I love how this has become as big as it has.
I'm actually surprised this thread has gotten so much feedback, and I'm incredibly appreciative of all the votes and comments everyone has given. It's been pretty instrumental so far in helping me decide which one I want to use, though I'm still undecided. I'm definitely leaning a bit more towards the Hyur at the moment but my issue is that, as mentioned the Hyur looks a bit more world weary and battle hardened while the Hyur just has the scarred up look I was going for.

Ultimately I may have to wait until I can actually get into the real character creator where I can see both appearances in the Black Mage AF before I make my final decision.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Ildur - 08-10-2013

Pft! It's just because you made an anime pretty boy! *shakes walking stick dismissively*

I still think the Miqo'te has more personality. It's the beard, I tell you. Sure, Miqo'te may be overpopulated these days, but you can't argue with the appeal of BEARDS.

(08-10-2013, 10:10 AM)Ildur Wrote: Pft! It's just because you made an anime pretty boy! *shakes walking stick dismissively*

I still think the Miqo'te has more personality. It's the beard, I tell you. Sure, Miqo'te may be overpopulated these days, but you can't argue with the appeal of BEARDS.
Personally, as a person with a many chin curtain I can't disagree with this statement.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Dubs - 08-10-2013

Oh come on Ashren we all know your hyur is a Jareth wannabee!Tongue
[Image: David-Bowie-as-Jareth-from-Labyrinth-dav...46-401.jpg]
[youtube]ufrCIwNk1zc[/youtube]

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Annaveil - 08-10-2013

(08-10-2013, 10:19 AM)Dubs Wrote: Oh come on Ashren we all know your hyur is a Jareth wannabee!Tongue

LOL Ohmygod I didn't want to say anything before but I thought of the SAME THING!

Sorry Ashren, now I have to jump in on this Heartfabulous David Bowie train!Heart

(08-10-2013, 10:19 AM)Dubs Wrote: Oh come on Ashren we all know your hyur is a Jareth wannabee!Tongue
[youtube]ufrCIwNk1zc[/youtube]
You know if I could use THAT hair I totally would. David Bowie in Labyrinth does bare a strong resemblance to Setzer actually... suddenly I'm leaning even more towards the Hyur now.