Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing (/showthread.php?tid=9999)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - K'nahli - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:24 PM)Faye Wrote: And I'm sorry if calling it "weird" seems antagonistic, but that's just how it is. I'm not sure what words would be better. Sketchy? Strange? Shady? Suspicious? Sexist? All have pretty negative connotations that may upset someone, which makes sense, given that it's a negative feeling. It's difficult to find positive words for negative things.

Ah, it was more to do with the original OP's replies up to that point. I was of the firm impression that he was feeling ganged up on regardless of everyones' intent(not that I can blame him). In such a position, it's far easier to feel offended by terms with negative connotations - particularly so when they're being echoed repeatedly by multiple posters.

No need to apologise though, I didn't mean to imply you were anywhere near in the wrong for doing so. You were just expressing your opinion, but it just didn't seem like something that was being received very well no matter how kindly you or anyone else put it.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Kage - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:23 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: ...the inferred tone in this thread seems to be aggressive towards an opposing viewpoint. Fuck, my post said you aren't wrong, which you seem to be okay with, but then you reiterate the whole debate over the other half of my point being that he's not wrong either. I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

The "general opinions" in this thread are borderline hostile. Repeating them, moreso.
First bold: Isn't that the point of discussions? I mean, if everything was the same we wouldn't ever... have a discussion? One point of view is argued through, discussed, etc?

I'd only made 2 posts in the original thread this was split from.
First: Just don't talk about real life gender suggestion.
Why? Because you then get to make the judgment on the quality of the RP and not on the genitals behind a screen. If that's really what it is.

Second: Bringing up an event thread from a year ago that is an example of the type of negative feedback one might get with this type of mentality, that this type of RP may not be what some people here would encourage, want or participate in. Why? Because it's the same as mentioning casually to people that not everyone will really quite like a Mary Sue/Gary Stu in RP that wants to be the main character in everyone's RP.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Desu Nee - 02-06-2015

My philosophy is always "If you're not comfortable, don't do Romance RP"
I generally don't care, it's RP. I know, late for opinion and I don't add nothing, but it's the ROLE of PLAY. ROLE. NOT YOU. ROLE

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Faye - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:33 PM)Knahli Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 04:24 PM)Faye Wrote: And I'm sorry if calling it "weird" seems antagonistic, but that's just how it is. I'm not sure what words would be better. Sketchy? Strange? Shady? Suspicious? Sexist? All have pretty negative connotations that may upset someone, which makes sense, given that it's a negative feeling. It's difficult to find positive words for negative things.

Ah, it was more to do with the original OP's replies up to that point. I was of the firm impression that he was feeling ganged up on regardless of everyones' intent(not that I can blame him). In such a position, it's far easier to feel offended by terms with negative connotations - particularly so when they're being echoed repeatedly by multiple posters.

No need to apologise though, I didn't mean to imply you were anywhere near in the wrong for doing so. You were just expressing your opinion, but it just didn't seem like something that was being received very well no matter how kindly you or anyone else put it.

I can't blame him for feeling ganged up on, especially at this point after this was split into a separate thread... Just gonna say that was a mod and not me and I don't think this was the best decision. x_x Not that this is a topic that shouldn't be discussed, but rather, it shouldn't be opened with calling him out by name and using his quote in particular. I think that's only going to distract from the actual conversation of RL Gender vs IC Gender and make it all still about his statement. Seems like his thread was locked just so the poor guy could become the focus of another, brand new thread solely centered around his words...

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:32 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 04:29 PM)Gegenji Wrote: That's kinda more what I mean. While some of the way it was presented leans one way, that doesn't mean what he intended. However, it's easy enough for the thread to derail into the topic of what he said rather than what he meant. Which leads to "skeevy" (i.e. sketchy, dangerous, flame-attracting) discussion over the importance of who is sitting behind the other screen.

My apologies, sir!

No worries! I was more frightened that I was being misunderstood. Blush

(02-06-2015, 04:32 PM)OttoVann Wrote: People who may not be able to easily rp with other men on catgrills might not be ready for romance RP.
(02-06-2015, 04:32 PM)OttoVann Wrote: men on catgrills
(02-06-2015, 04:32 PM)OttoVann Wrote: catgrills

[Image: 1202273970898-1.gif]

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Maril - 02-06-2015

Personally I do not care. I've been in the position where I've thought that RP'ing the gender that isn't yours was a bit weird - not because it felt wrong, but because I couldn't at the time put myself in the mindset of the opposite gender. But it is something that I've gotten over if you would, from simply being around people who do it. I am a female IRL. 
About a year ago I jumped into playing a male character for the first time, which in some ways saved me from the worst end of an RP burnout because it challenged me in a completely new way. My first reaction to it has always been "But I hardly know how a you-know-what-works!". I enjoy playing the character greatly these days, but I live in paranoia about other RP'ers cutting the contact to mine because of it - Which has happened. And I know, you can say that "They're just bad people then!" but like.. It doesn't ease on the discomfort of it. I'd rather get tips and tricks on how to do it better, than just get walked out on. 

And if I might be honest.. When I see someone requesting a specific ooc gender it's a huge red flag for me. You might not mean to sound like it matters because of romantic elements that may or may not cross into the realm of OOC, but that is exactly what you end up sounding like, to me - because of past experiences and even the folk that blatantly state such to be the reason.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Melkire - 02-06-2015

Disclaimer: below are my personal views, and do not represent any official RPC stance or position on the matter.

Let's just put it out there instead of dancing around the issue: people reacted negatively (and are still reacting negatively) because of fears of sexual and/or emotional predation.

Personally, I am aware of at least one recent incident within this community that involved male-to-female abuse, and would not be surprised that that incident is what had everyone on edge earlier today. That said, I'm very, very disappointed that members of this community would, as someone else so colorfully put it before I did, preemptively reach for the torches and pitchforks with regards to a simple request made by a completely different member of the community who, as far as I'm aware, is unassociated with the aforementioned incident, or any incident, for that matter. I am especially disappointed because, in this case, clarifications had already been made.

Mob mentality. "Guilty until proven innocent".

Yech.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - SessionZero - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 03:31 PM)Kage Wrote: You can just avoid stating what gender the player is behind the character.

I think some people still think I'm a guy after RPING as tiny Lala Kage for a while.

<-- Totally thought Kage was a dude until this post.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Faye - 02-06-2015

Maybe I'm... insensitive or can't read or something, but most of the posts I've seen criticizing the guy have been pretty tame and not exactly closed-minded or jumping the gun...? Most people have expressed confusion or suspicion, which I'm fairly certain implies they're not only open to explanation from the OP but hoping/asking for one. I haven't seen anyone scream at the dude, "You want OOC sex/romance and nothing you can say will prove me otherwise, let's get 'em guys!!"

Personally, I was hoping for an explanation because I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe his initial claim of not pursuing any OOC romance. But the only responses he gave were pretty much "It's what I prefer" and "I SAID PREFERABLY!!" Those replies didn't exactly help me understand where he's coming from any better.

(02-06-2015, 04:37 PM)Faye Wrote: I can't blame him for feeling ganged up on, especially at this point after this was split into a separate thread... Just gonna say that was a mod and not me and I don't think this was the best decision. x_x Not that this is a topic that shouldn't be discussed, but rather, it shouldn't be opened without calling him out by name and using his quote in particular. I think that's only going to distract from the actual conversation of RL Gender vs IC Gender and make it all still about his statement. Seems like his thread was locked just so the poor guy could become the focus of another, brand new thread solely centered around his words...

*nods*

I was only about to click onto the second page when I realised that it had been closed and split so I can't speak for the intent but I think you're right in that he shouldn't really remain the subject of the matter, even if he is no longer reading it. Having said that I'm sure it simply wasn't anticipated ^^

*Quickly flicks back through thread*

Edit:

(02-06-2015, 04:44 PM)Faye Wrote: Maybe I'm... insensitive or can't read or something, but most of the posts I've seen criticizing the guy have been pretty tame and not exactly closed-minded or jumping the gun...? Most people have expressed confusion or suspicion, which I'm fairly certain implies they're not only open to explanation from the OP but hoping/asking for one. I haven't seen anyone scream at the dude, "You want OOC sex/romance and nothing you can say will prove me otherwise, let's get 'em guys!!"

Personally, I was hoping for an explanation because I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe his initial claim of not pursuing any OOC romance. But they only responses he gave were pretty much "It's what I prefer" and "I SAID PREFERABLY!!" Those replies didn't exactly help me understand where he's coming from any better.

It's subjective I think. From an outside point of view you can say that nothing particularly accusatory or mean was said but the tone of the messages, particularly so when they occur in bulk, can definitely be taken as harsh. At the end of the day, I personally don't think it's anyone's fault since everyone had the best intentions. Misunderstandings happen.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Melkire - 02-06-2015

Thread's been pruned. Took me a while to get to it, since I'm doing this from work.

(02-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Melkire Wrote: Thread's been pruned. Took me a while to get to it, since I'm doing this from work.

Miii, sorry! I got a little caught up in myself. I should have done so sooner in your stead.

In any case, let's try to keep to the topic in a general sense as opposed to the specific instance involving the other user ^^

In which case, to add my own very, brief input.... I must admit I am slightly of the opinion that I'd be wary knowing there was a male behind the screen of another female character if said female character was of a certain.... style. I'm a male myself so it's nothing to do with the gender itself but unfortunately it usually does seem to be male gamers that come off as creepy when it comes to certain areas.... and I say that as someone with zero experience with romance RP; just the general things you encounter in the wonderful world of online games - and perhaps the internet in general.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Desu Nee - 02-06-2015

I think the thread served it's purpose really. Can't we talk about awesome crossdressers now?

[Image: freddie-mercury-crossdressing.gif]

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - OttoVann - 02-06-2015

Otto looks fucking amazing in a skirt. Ive posted proof before, shall I do it again?

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Edvyn - 02-06-2015

looking for a black mage who also practices black magic OOC

zazas zazas nasatanada zazas Cool