Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pros and Cons of Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Pros and Cons of Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=15178)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Kage - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 08:10 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 08:04 PM)Edda Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 03:56 PM)Faye Wrote: Pros:

- Less gold spam/bots than other servers
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more often.

Remember back at launch when, if you left shout chat on, when you ported in to Ul'dah, your chat box would be inundated with 60km/s gold bot spam? Back then you had to manually blacklist them too, and there was no system in place to curtail chat spam. I remember making it my VOCATION to go out and kill bots in the field with my crafty tricks.

These days you see a pack of bots and think "Hm wow, Balmung must have been open for about 5 minutes at some point this past week" and then forget about it.

Funnily enough, this pro for us is also a pro for the gold farmers. They can basically charge whatever they want for gil on Balmung - seriously, go compare server prices if you find the time. It's hilarious.
On the other hand prices are a lot lower here. Things that sell for 99gil here are 5-10x that on servers like Gilgamesh. 

So things seem to be better all around economy wise (unless you gather)

Think Edda meant RMT gil. Like, people paying real money for gil?

Cause yeah Sounsyy has mentioned the Hyperion prices for stuff and how Balmung is much cheaper.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Caspar - 02-10-2016

Balmung is indeed way cheaper. Stuff doesn't get crafted as often, especially RP favorite glamor itens, and they end up being rare and quite a bit marked up on Hyp.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Edda - 02-10-2016

Yes, it is an odd situation to say the least.

Balmung's in-game item prices are relatively cheap, due to being a massive server with healthy activity in each section of the economy - RPers buy items that would be seen as more of a commodity on other servers.

But because it's such a massive server and now near-impossible to get into, RMT prices for Balmung are absolutely ridiculous compared to other servers.

But... since the in-game gil prices are cheap... why buy gil?

Housing.

Yep, that's it.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Parvacake - 02-11-2016

(02-10-2016, 08:53 PM)Edda Wrote: Yes, it is an odd situation to say the least.

Balmung's in-game item prices are relatively cheap, due to being a massive server with healthy activity in each section of the economy - RPers buy items that would be seen as more of a commodity on other servers.

But because it's such a massive server and now near-impossible to get into, RMT prices for Balmung are absolutely ridiculous compared to other servers.

But... since the in-game gil prices are cheap... why buy gil?

Housing.

Yep, that's it.
Considering there's sub-reddits for house buying and some people are willing to fork over 30 million+ for a small (not to mention what they'll fork over for a medium), it's very likely. Especially if they can't find or get a house in the area they want I'm sure they'll just spend the gil on other things.

Which can some times crash markets, then stuff gets relisted at differing prices that would otherwise be ridiculous, and so on and so forth.

We're both lucky to have the server economy we do and also very unfortunate.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - C'kayah Polaali - 02-12-2016

Honestly, if the housing scarcity problem can be solved (Instanced housing? Dynamic creation of wards ala LOTRO?), the bottom would drop out of the RMT industry on Balmung. Like Edda and Lili both say, it's pretty much solely about housing right now. With very few exceptions, there's nothing else that's out of the range of your average person with a max level character.

RE: Pros and Cons of Balmung - Parvacake - 02-12-2016

(02-12-2016, 03:42 PM)Setoh Aliapoh Wrote: Like Edda and Lili both say, it's pretty much solely about housing right now. With very few exceptions, there's nothing else that's out of the range of your average person with a max level character.
^^^ This

I've yet to meet a high level character/player who can't get some of the things they strive for. Sure it might take a little time if they aren't into crafting but a few weeks (at most) of some casual dedication (at least) is usually all it takes. A few special exceptions to this are super expensive items like the Hunting Hawk (which was 10 million+ last night when I checked), new glamour recipes when they first come up (we all remember the thav set prices at the beginning), etc. Even then it just takes time and the market usually drops during the course someone saves. Because the pros of a big server economy!

Cons? Housing is also going to be the big one. Even after I had like 40 million for my medium and all the licenses and shit, didn't do much when I didn't have a house to show for it. But other servers have this problem as well.

Another pro? Roleplayers, overall, are super nice people. Some housing that people have obtained have been turned into public spaces for people to use. Some (like myself) turn their personal house into an FC hub until FC housing can be obtained. I remember when I was in CLAN when someone's small house was used as a safe house during a storyline. It was nice to see property opened to people like that in a game where it's such a scarce commodity. While other servers (like Gilga) do this as well, I see it most prevalently on Balmung.

Another con. As nice as the people here are, there's too many of us. Makes it all the more difficult for more nice people to join us.