Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur (/showthread.php?tid=3438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - sanguineFenrir - 08-10-2013

I've been reading through some of the replies that were posted when I was asleep, and I do agree with Ashren's statement about the eye colors being more representative of an albino. I'm sure this has been brought up, and I know that cataracts have a blue tint, but you could also just use a white eye for the blind one. I also think that the scar crossing the Miqo'te's facial markings looks just a bit odd.

Either could work for his backstory, although I can't say if a Hyur would be more accepting of their son being albino in Eorzea. It would have to depend on the background and opinions of his birth parents--you could write them off as superstitious or closed-minded, which I assume is what you'll do.

For "Albino" pale, you might have better luck making him a Keeper, as they get grayish or paler skin colors--Kevaraan is a Keeper for this reason, because I wanted to make him as pale as possible. It's less noticeable in my avatar. 

The only races that do that sort of paleness very well are Sea Wolf Roegadyn (where you can make an albino, they can literally be bone-white) and Duskwight, which would be a less close sort of second. However, those body types would be a lot different from the way Ashren is now--Midlanders and Miqo'te of both clans have similar heights and such--and you'd also have to redo the backstory.

He'd look really cool with that hair though--almost reminds me of a game I may have seen a similar style in; can't remember which.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Isilme - 08-10-2013

Well, not knowing the backstory, and going purely by appearance, I had to toss my vote in for Miqo'te.

Now, normally I would agree with Aysun, that players as midlanders are a bit rare, but... the miqo'te seems to have more personality. The hyuran seems almost half asleep there, whereas the miqo'te has sort of a roguish air. Prolly the beard.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Ildur - 08-10-2013

At least midlander males have eyebrows, contrary to highlanders.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Ashren Dotharl - 08-10-2013

One of the other things I'm considering is Ashren is supposed to sort of have a gambling addiction, and he's kind of a mad scientist (Thaumaturge + Alchemist) so I'm wondering just how well those things would translate as a Miqo'te vs. a Hyur, for some reason they seem like they might be more something a Hyur would deal with, especially the gambling bit.

RE: Character Decision: Miqo'te vs. Hyur - Aysun - 08-10-2013

(08-10-2013, 09:57 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: One of the other things I'm considering is Ashren is supposed to sort of have a gambling addiction, and he's kind of a mad scientist (Thaumaturge + Alchemist) so I'm wondering just how well those things would translate as a Miqo'te vs. a Hyur, for some reason they seem like they might be more something a Hyur would deal with, especially the gambling bit.

I don't know if a gambling addiction would be distinctly Hyur or Miqo'te myself, but the mad scientist part definitely feels more Hyur. xD

(08-10-2013, 09:59 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(08-10-2013, 09:57 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: One of the other things I'm considering is Ashren is supposed to sort of have a gambling addiction, and he's kind of a mad scientist (Thaumaturge + Alchemist) so I'm wondering just how well those things would translate as a Miqo'te vs. a Hyur, for some reason they seem like they might be more something a Hyur would deal with, especially the gambling bit.

I don't know if a gambling addiction would be distinctly Hyur or Miqo'te myself, but the mad scientist part definitely feels more Hyur. xD
Yeah, for some reason I have a difficult time imagining a Miqo'te in a lab coat (the Alchemist lvl 50 gear), it seems much easier to imagine the Hyur in one, especially with his crazy hair.

Oh, and the cataracts thing! I actually tried using the lightest shade of blue available when I first started (after doing some extensive image searches on blindness in the real world) but the problem was it just made it look like he had one light pinkish colored eye, and one light blue colored eye. From what I've found cataracts causes not just the iris to change color and become bluish gray, but it also causes the pupil to become milky and white as well, something that isn't possible using the character creator. Typically in animate or video games, blindness is represented simply by the eye being colorless, so I opted to go with that instead since it gave the best impression of what I was trying to convey.

(08-10-2013, 10:08 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:

Yeah, for some reason I have a difficult time imagining a Miqo'te in a lab coat (the Alchemist lvl 50 gear), it seems much easier to imagine the Hyur in one, especially with his crazy hair.

Miqo'te in a labcoat you say.... Gerik provides. lolol

(08-10-2013, 10:15 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(08-10-2013, 10:08 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:

Miqo'te in a labcoat you say.... Gerik provides. lolol
XD that's actually kind of funny, didn't expect someone to throw out a pic like that. Still though, not exactly the mental image I have in mind. The Alchemist gear is very mad scientist looking and the whole look of it seems very hard for my to picture a Miqo'te wearing as their typical RP outfit. I'm not saying they couldn't, just that in my mind I have an easier time picturing the Hyur in it than the Miqo'te. So I think I'm definitely leaning more and more towards the Hyur, but I still have this nagging feeling I might regret it no matter what I pick. Huh

[Image: charapic_001.png]

I know what you mean, I was just messing with you and that picture popped into my head. xD

I don't think you'll regret your choice if you make it based on the character and YOUR leanings rather than ours. Set your mind on "Okay, he's a Miqo'te" and then see how it feels. Then try Hyur. If either one feels awkward to YOU, then you'll have your answer.