Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? (/showthread.php?tid=4975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Cato - 10-10-2013

Heh, it's good to know that Square-Enix are well aware of what a /sleep and lengthy /kneel emote would most often be used for. I'd suggest a compromise of a harsher stance on players caught with their character's pants down, though given what I've seen a good many of the role-players found upon this very site getting up to then I fear we'd lose a very large chunk of the population.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 10-10-2013

Edited:--Actually, in retrospect, totally not worth the time it took to write the response I had. ^.^ To each their own.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Cato - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 03:12 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Edited:--Actually, in retrospect, totally not worth the time it took to write the response I had. ^.^ To each their own.

I'm intrigued. I love a good debate, so if you reconsider - and assuming your reply was going to be in response to my previous post - feel free to go ahead with it.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Ildur - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 03:00 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: Heh, it's good to know that Square-Enix are well aware of what a /sleep and lengthy /kneel emote would most often be used for.

I'm curious as to why your mind went directly to that place and, what's more, I'm even more curious of why you stick your interpretation of the matter as if it was Squee's. It's more problable they couldn't bother to implement emotes as toggles because they have a thing for arbitrary restricitons (see: bank space, airship travel, dyes) and not because they were thinking how those pesky players would be abusing them in childish manners.
Unless they specifically stated that is the reason, of course.

Anyway, they shouldn't be worrying about what the players do with their emotes unless it somehow breaks the game somehow (see: SWToR's old dance glitch).

(10-10-2013, 03:44 PM)Ildur Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 03:00 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: Heh, it's good to know that Square-Enix are well aware of what a /sleep and lengthy /kneel emote would most often be used for.

I'm curious as to why your mind went directly to that place and, what's more, I'm even more curious of why you stick your interpretation of the matter as if it was Squee's. It's more problable they couldn't bother to implement emotes as toggles because they have a thing for arbitrary restricitons (see: bank space, airship travel, dyes) and not because they were thinking how those pesky players would be abusing them in childish manners.
Unless they specifically stated that is the reason, of course.

Anyway, they shouldn't be worrying about what the players do with their emotes unless it somehow breaks the game somehow (see: SWToR's old dance glitch).

I was responding to Swift Nightclaw's post on the previous page, particularly this part:

"A /sleep or /liedown emote.
They’re working on figuring this out, but Yoshida has urged caution to the artists as it can be used to create inappropriate imagery they do not want in the game."

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Ildur - 10-10-2013

Ah, I see! So they do think that. How odd to worry about players being idiots, though, considering in this game there's a non insignificant ammount of innuendo between NPCs lying around for anyone to see in the open world.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Swift Nightclaw - 10-10-2013

There may be other considerations to take into account, such as expectations, regulations, cultural stances, etc, etc in Japan.

Keep in mind that they ARE developing with their Japanese base primarily in mind with the addition that it's going out worldwide.  Gaming culture is extremely different in Japan and you've got genres of visual novels and others that can get downright hentai.  From a Japanese developers' perspective, there may be some desire to avoid any such associations from visual depiction.

Japan's a much more open society in terms of sexual censorship and they get away with far more, but they also have particular nuances about what is and isn't okay.  Visual depiction may be more questionable than verbal innuendo.  I'm not certain, but it's something that sprang to mind as a possibility.

More likely, I'd imagine, is the fact that sexual innuendo in text is probably humorous in Japan while visual depiction of such acts is considered more graphic and not just for laughs.

Either way, I'm pretty confident the cultural difference accounts for a lot of their decisions.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - K'dath - 10-10-2013

If Square was really worried about players abusing various in game effects to emulate innuendo, they would have been more careful with the auto-translate function...

[Image: ctyLsIS.png]

I admit, that one made me smirk, but there were a thousand more unfunny ones from /shout in Costa del Sol all night not so subtly implying they were doing terrible things to themselves in public. It made me wonder what possible, proper situation would (long time) be used for in-game.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Naunet - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 01:12 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: A /sleep or /liedown emote.
They’re working on figuring this out, but Yoshida has urged caution to the artists as it can be used to create inappropriate imagery they do not want in the game.  And if that is a concern for them, I willappreciate a lack of /sleep and being restrained to sleeping in the inns.  It really makes me happy to see thedevelopers thinking of the long term integrity of the game.  RPers may use these things tastefully, but the devs will have to look at it more collectively. 

An alternative I'd be interested in seeing is having tents as an item that allows you to gain rested xp when logging off away from the inn.

That's not actually an alternative, as it doesn't provide for RP in any way, which is kind of the whole idea behind wanting a /sleep or /liedown emote. No laying in bed sick or injured, no laying on the ground relaxing and chatting, no anything! Nope, because ~*oh no, some people might make offensive images!*~ As though you can't do that right now as things are.

What a load of crap from Squee. -_-;

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Raccoon - 10-11-2013

Oh, and deeper water along the beaches. Having a beach party and being ankle deep in the water is a bit annoying. Even, gasp, being able to swim would be great.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - TheLastCandle - 10-11-2013

(10-10-2013, 06:19 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 01:12 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: A /sleep or /liedown emote.
They’re working on figuring this out, but Yoshida has urged caution to the artists as it can be used to create inappropriate imagery they do not want in the game.  And if that is a concern for them, I willappreciate a lack of /sleep and being restrained to sleeping in the inns.  It really makes me happy to see thedevelopers thinking of the long term integrity of the game.  RPers may use these things tastefully, but the devs will have to look at it more collectively. 

An alternative I'd be interested in seeing is having tents as an item that allows you to gain rested xp when logging off away from the inn.

That's not actually an alternative, as it doesn't provide for RP in any way, which is kind of the whole idea behind wanting a /sleep or /liedown emote. No laying in bed sick or injured, no laying on the ground relaxing and chatting, no anything! Nope, because ~*oh no, some people might make offensive images!*~ As though you can't do that right now as things are.

What a load of crap from Squee. -_-;
(NSFW) http://i.imgur.com/AB1W8HP.jpg

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Random Encounter - 10-11-2013

Curse you Teveriel, you almost made me spit out my morning coffee. 

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Naunet - 10-11-2013

(10-11-2013, 06:31 AM)Teveriel Wrote: (NSFW) http://i.imgur.com/AB1W8HP.jpg

*right click saves*

I mean, uh.

HOW DARE YOU TAKE SUCH OFFENSIVE PICTURES! I AM OFFENDED! I SHALL PETITION SQUEE TO REMOVE THE SCREENSHOT BUTTON TO SAVE MEYOU FROM TEMPTATION!

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Swift Nightclaw - 10-11-2013

You can scream about it if you like, I'm just saying it's a Japanese game and they're going to do things that fits their culture.  Japan is very much a culture where the collective good is more important than the individual.  If they perceive a greater chance for distasteful imagery than a minority of RP benefit, they'll choose to avoid what they feel is inappropriate for their game rather than give the benefit of the doubt.

If that's a massive problem, well, welcome to the shoe on the other foot.  Heck, I've seen people throwing absolute bitch fits over maintenance being in "prime time hours."  But it's not...in Japan.

That said, please note I said the animators are working on figuring out what they want to do there and Yoshida has only advised caution. He didn't say a /sleep emote would never be put in game, just that they want to avoid inappropriate imagery.

And again, innuendo in text may be perceived differently than imagery among the developers.  And also again, there may even be different restrictions in Japan between the two.  They can get away with damn near anything in video games, but their ratings/censorship does have peculiar nuances.

I'm trying to find the transcript with EXACTLY what he said.

Here it is, it's just a minor statement:

y; Right now we don’t have a sleep motion, so the other day the motion team asked me if you wanted to do this soon?
y; It makes it possible to come up with some dangerous images, so I’m telling them it has to be safe and not cross that line.
y; Listen up everyone, don’t do anything bad.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63655-Translation-Japanese-to-English?p=1322772&viewfull=1#post1322772

So I'm sure they'll offer something, but they're being mindful about it, that's all.

RE: What do you want to see added to the game in the future? - Cato - 10-11-2013

I'm glad that it's being taken into consideration. ERP is a major issue in MMO's, since whilst some of it is tasteful a lot of it is outright sickening and driven by extreme and harmful fetishes that have no business being brought into an online game that hasn't been created specifically for that purpose.

ERP should be a very private thing that is limited to character driven romance rather than the appeasement of extreme fetishes. Furthermore it should never be done in public places. Then again, people will argue that they take care to avoid doing so and yet their character's wiki profile basically ends up screaming 'I ERP', usually accompanied by a not so subtle list of who their character has banged recently.

Sex isn't a scary thing. People shouldn't act like it doesn't happen, though at the same time stuff that is genuinely seen as obscene - such as two 'female' characters with a twelve inch log between their legs knocking each other up - shouldn't be brought into public scenarios.