Hydaelyn Role-Players
Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Demoralizing Demand for Housing (/showthread.php?tid=5802)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Darkfae - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 04:13 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: If that's true, I'm even more annoyed. We had so many issues at launch with servers groaning under the stress and I gritted my teeth through it. If they've still not got the server infrastructure to cope with the amount of players they want subbed and playing, they don't deserve to have that amount of subs.

God help me if they don't budge on the prices and ditch personal housing for a room off your FC house...
I actually think that's another part of why they've divided the instance servers off again into even smaller groups. My guess is that the housing is instanced off based on those groups as well; they'll probably divide them further if there continues to be an issue, but I think we'll only see one more divide before they say it's too small of groupings.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Maqali Qulaan - 12-17-2013

What really boggles my mind about this housing thing is that they should have any server capacity concerns at all. I mean... look at (for example) Everquest 2, which was one of the first games to really adopt extensive instanced housing. Currently in that game a player can own up to 10 homes simultaneously per character, plus guild housing. Each home can hold hundreds of items, with little restriction on placement (there's no gridmaps or anything like that, it's very freeform). Everquest 2 is... nine years old? Ten? There have been a few minor instances of server issues over the years regarding housing, but overall it's been very very minimal. Why is FFXIV having so much trouble with the same type of concept? I am not a programmer, so maybe there's some very technical reason behind this that I don't understand.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - LiadansWhisper - 12-17-2013

Well, their forums are currently choking on the amount of traffic (at 3am, no less!), so I mean...it just feels like their entire system is held together with duct tape and chewing gum.  Dodgy

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Darkfae - 12-17-2013

Well, Yoshida said early on that they didn't expect the amount of people they've gotten playing the game to be playing, and they may still be having issues with the executives at Squeenix at large in getting funds for rapid server expansion. It's not cheap to buy entire servers, and even if FFXIV is doing well numbers wise, they may still have to fight for each and every instance server they get; they may still not be "back in the black" as far as their executives are concerned. Whether or not Squeenix is willing to re-allocate funds from other projects is unclear as well, even though in the long run, it would be wise of them to do so.

EverQuest II did not have that issue (because they faced that demon when EverQuest I ended up being so wildly successful, so they planned their metrics around the idea that EQ2 could potentially have as crazy of a success), and the executives at SOE threw a lot of money behind the game initially and were willing to throw more money at server expansions as needed, though as the game aged, they've had to fight for certain funding, I'm sure.

It's hypothetical, but largely, the expansion if servers technically isn't up to the development team, as much as they'd like it to be. That's all still got to be cleared by executives who are outside the process, and management tends to not be as nice as anyone would like them to be. -.-

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Tla - 12-17-2013

So, here we have the answer 
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/127656-An-Open-Letter-to-Yoshida-san-Please-Slice-One-Zero-Off-the-Housing-Prices?p=1685344#post1685344

Seems we can hope now, no?

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Rinh Hallani - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 09:49 AM)Tlamila Wrote: So, here we have the answer 
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/127656-An-Open-Letter-to-Yoshida-san-Please-Slice-One-Zero-Off-the-Housing-Prices?p=1685344#post1685344

So in 3 months smallest will be 8 million, medium 30 million and large 100 million. I still think they've gone about it backwards (the time/gil sink should be in upgrading) but at least that's more of a realistic goal.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Magellan - 12-17-2013

(12-16-2013, 04:40 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:  I pay for this content, and I may never get to even see it.  Not ever.  Because it's so far out of reach that it might as well not exist.

Pretty much this. On a f2p game it makes sense to price things exorbitantly, to try and get your player base to cough up real cash to support the game, and gain perks that makes gaining money easier.

But we are already coughing up real cash. This just feels like punishment.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Whittledown - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 12:14 PM)Magellan Wrote: [quote pid=71279 dateline=1387226433]
Pretty much this. On a f2p game it makes sense to price things exorbitantly, to try and get your player base to cough up real cash to support the game, and gain perks that makes gaining money easier.

But we are already coughing up real cash. This just feels like punishment.

[/quote]
This right here.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - LiadansWhisper - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 11:42 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote:
(12-17-2013, 09:49 AM)Tlamila Wrote: So, here we have the answer 

So in 3 months smallest will be 8 million, medium 30 million and large 100 million. I still think they've gone about it backwards (the time/gil sink should be in upgrading) but at least that's more of a realistic goal.

It's doable.  But I am still sad.  At least it's doable, but I think I'm going to put a damper on my excitement from now on, because I just don't trust them not to do stupid things.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Rinh Hallani - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 03:09 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: It's doable.  But I am still sad.  At least it's doable, but I think I'm going to put a damper on my excitement from now on, because I just don't trust them not to do stupid things.

Yeah, ditto. Their excuses were pretty poor too and really boil down to "the servers can't handle it", pfft. I guess we'll see what happens in three months.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Tla - 12-17-2013

I sure got sad when I looked at my crafting interface and seen all the shiny new pieces of forniture I can craft...and thought I'll probably never be able to craft them for myself :/

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Edda - 12-17-2013

It completely boggles my mind as to why Square would hype up and spend money on a feature that only a very small percentage of actual players will be able to experience.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Tyriont - 12-17-2013

It's also worth noting that we still get individual housing later down the line which will be much less expensive. No set date for that, but at least it's -something-. So your furniture craftyness can get used there.

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Edda - 12-18-2013

Here's the interior of a medium sized house if no one's seen it yet. Server is Gilgamesh I believe.

http://imgur.com/a/yn9NG

RE: Demoralizing Demand for Housing - Darkfae - 12-18-2013

(12-18-2013, 01:21 AM)Edda Wrote: Here's the interior of a medium sized house if no one's seen it yet. Server is Gilgamesh I believe.

http://imgur.com/a/yn9NG
It's smaller on the outside~. At least it seems that way.