Hydaelyn Role-Players
Information on Life Spans - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Information on Life Spans (/showthread.php?tid=5935)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Information on Life Spans - Asgarn - 12-31-2013

On the subject of old Miqo'te...
(Spoiler tag seems to be broken, so IF YOU DON'T WANNA SEE A SPOILER, DON'T SCROLL DOWN.
STOP.
STOP SCROLLING.
That should be fair warning.
Stahp.)

F'lhaminn. Though her model still appears youthful, her hair has greyed considerably in the space of five years. One might think this speaks volumes for Miqo'te ageing.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Kismet - 12-31-2013

The spoiler doesn't bother me, cuz I already knew, but there ARE spoiler tags you could use... Just sayin'. Laugh

RE: Information on Life Spans - pas - 01-01-2014

I think that someone already mentioned this, but it's unnecessarily humankind-centric to assume that all of the races have similar signs of ageing.

The lack of faces is analogous to the lack of body types. There aren't a lot of body type options, either: e.g. you can't make a fat character. You are allowed to choose from a spectrum of chiselled to lean. This should not lead to the assumption that fat people, skinny people, emaciated people, or apple-, hourglass-, pear-, or etc. shaped people do not exist in the world.

Therefore, surely older and younger folks of every race exist, especially with their own physical characteristics indicating as much. The relevant question of the thread is how old terms "older" and "oldest" indicate for each race. The arguments based on character creation aesthetic have little basis and seem to have caused a spot of digression from the original topic.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Jomoru - 01-01-2014

(12-31-2013, 12:23 PM)Asgarn Wrote: On the subject of old Miqo'te...
(Spoiler tag seems to be broken, so IF YOU DON'T WANNA SEE A SPOILER, DON'T SCROLL DOWN.
STOP.
STOP SCROLLING.
That should be fair warning.
Stahp.)

F'lhaminn. Though her model still appears youthful, her hair has greyed considerably in the space of five years. One might think this speaks volumes for Miqo'te ageing.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F'lhaminn

*Looks at 1.0 pic. Looks at ARR pic* I don't see her having Greyed considerably. She looks like she's always had white hair.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Rickter - 01-01-2014

oh wow, that rests the case on Filhaminn. . .

but its interesting on how they chose to give her eye glasses in ARR. . .

RE: Information on Life Spans - Jomoru - 01-02-2014

(01-01-2014, 05:23 PM)Rickter Wrote: oh wow, that rests the case on Filhaminn. . .

but its interesting on how they chose to give her eye glasses in ARR. . .

Maybe its a sign of aging? Of course there's a lot of female Miqotes in ARR with glasses it might just be one of the artist's fetishes. It also might be short hand for "Smart" Miqote.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Darkfae - 01-02-2014

I'm so tempted to relink this thread in my post on the official forum asking for life spans and age markers with something like "SEE HOW MUCH FIGHTING THIS CAUSES!?" >.>

Just to see if that makes them more inclined to answer. >.>

RE: Information on Life Spans - ansemaru - 01-02-2014

I'm going to say that given the circumstances of her being the adoptive mother of an adult woman, mentioned as aging in-canon, and having grey hair, her getting glasses is probably meant as a way to show she's older without creating new facial models that are going to take up time and resources for a major game, for a single, fairly secondary NPC. Facial models and features that are of going to be of limited appeal and use for the average player, since it's not typical for someone who's decided to play a catgirl to play an elderly or middle-aged catgirl. Glasses are shorthand- your eyesight gets worse as you age, and you're more likely to need glasses at all. Makes more sense than "it's their fetish", seriously.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Rickter - 01-02-2014

i dont see any inherent conflict here.  just everyone throwing in their speculations and theories.  its been a great discussion so far, lots of in game support is used and im finding out more about 1.0 and the races than i did before - mission accomplished

RE: Information on Life Spans - Tla - 01-02-2014

I don't know, to me it looks like in this game glasses were given to intellectuals rather then aged people. K'lyhia, the girl from arcanist questline comes to my mind as an example. But might be both things?
 Sure they're all but good at showing signs of age and maybe we're hurting our head over something they didn't even think about when making the game/character models.

(01-02-2014, 06:08 AM)Tlamila Wrote: I don't know, to me it looks like in this game glasses were given to intellectuals rather then aged people. K'lyhia, the girl from arcanist questline comes to my mind as an example. But might be both things?
 Sure they're all but good at showing signs of age and maybe we're hurting our head over something they didn't even think about when making the game/character models.

There alot of miqote with glasses in game. I think someone just thought they were cute. I'd say its short for intellectual Miqote but...Nashu

RE: Information on Life Spans - Sounsyy - 01-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 10:35 AM)Jomoru Wrote: There alot of miqote with glasses in game. I think someone just thought they were cute. I'd say its short for intellectual Miqote but...Nashu

Whaaaaat? Nashu is a genius! Nashu picked up immediately that the water outside Limsa was not fit for consumption! Who knows where Limsa would be without her.

...but given the WEALTH OF RELATED CONTEXTUAL CLUES, F'lhaminn's glasses are almost definitely there to imply that her vision has gotten worse with age, not because someone decided to moeblob her up out of personal preference or because she's supposed to be implied to be an intellectual NPC. Seriously. She's Minfilia's mother. NPCs very early on in the new story content refer to her having aged. Grey hair. Comparatively modest clothing for a character in Eorzea. And honestly, if she was supposed to come across as an egghead, that would actually be conveyed in any of her dialogue. A retired songstress with a talent for mining isn't exactly the same as an Arcanist, let's keep in mind.

Seriously, is it that hard to believe that the creators of the game didn't make facial presets for elderly/middle aged Miqo'te women because they didn't think anybody would want to play one, not because they wanted to imply that Miqo'te don't age the same as, say, Hyur? The same thing, you may note, is the case with women of the other playable races. Go into the character creator and try to make an aged-looking Elezen, Hyur, Roegadyn, or Lalafell woman. You'll notice the same thing across all five playable races- there just aren't presets there to make a character look convincingly older than their 30s, if they're a girl. There are certainly options for the men, but pretty much across the board there are little or no options for women. And this points towards a fairly obvious answer regarding F'lhaminn- she looks as old as the game will let her look.

I am saying there are a host of secondary explanations for the glasses especially in light of the fact that the only other person who's shown any signs of aging in the last 5 years is Cid.

The simplest might be that 1.0 version of her... looked YOUNGER than her adopted daughter whereas glasses do give her a certain hint of age(if one is expecting it)

Of course it might be that glasses are a sign of her aging that they wanted a few characters show they have aged in 5 years rather than it seeming to have left no mark on anyone, but the game has been signficantly inconsistant on that front and I wouldn't use the show or lack of aging of visual aging between 1.0 and 2.0 to prove anything about racial aging speeds

Jomoru, have you ever heard of Occam's Razor?