Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Sultansworn RP Guide - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Sultansworn RP Guide (/showthread.php?tid=8358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-25-2014

(09-25-2014, 04:37 PM)Kage Wrote: The request for aid is in relation to the Immortal Flames' Hall relations with Sultansworn. It's the pink line connecting Hall of Flames to Sultansworn. That has no relation to how there are headers for the Syndicate (Blue) and headers for the Immortal Flames (Green)

I am that pink line!

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aldotsk - 09-25-2014

(09-25-2014, 05:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(09-25-2014, 04:51 PM)Coatleque Wrote: {edit} Ul'dahn royal family, not families.  It in no way infers anyone other than the house of Ul

I believe this also still includes Teledji Adeledji, as he is an Ul prince. Good luck balancing that can of worms in a few patches. =x

Funny thing you say that because Teledji and Lolorito work together, and since Teledji is considered 2nd heir to the throne, he can be the Sultan should Nanamo is missing or killed.

So there is always a plot going on from Lolorito...

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Kage - 09-25-2014

(09-25-2014, 05:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Forgive me I has opened wormy can! ;     ;
(09-25-2014, 04:51 PM)Coatleque Wrote: {edit} Ul'dahn royal family, not families.  It in no way infers anyone other than the house of Ul

I believe this also still includes Teledji Adeledji, as he is an Ul prince. Good luck balancing that can of worms in a few patches. =x
Is he actually an Ul prince? I've read some of the posts in the Lore subforum of the official forums and people think the prince title is just a trade title.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aldotsk - 09-26-2014

[â–²]
Pre-Calamity Dialogue
I am  Adeledji, head of the Mirage Trust. You may not know of me, but certainly you have heard of the Trust's Platinum Mirage here in town. I sit on the Syndicate, as well. When Raubahn was jumped-up to a seat on our council for amassing a fortune in blood money, he dishonored us all by leaving the city without a word. Only when he learned of Garlemald's plot to attack did he return. He has since remade the Immortal Flames of old, 'tis true, but the army is as patchwork as a mummer's motley. What can they hope to do against the might of Garlemald? And now he would have us cast our lot with the bumpkins of Gridania and the scoundrels of Limsa Lominsa? It is enough to make a lord laugh! What have we to gain from this, hm? We of the Syndicate have a hand in politics, yes, but we are merchants at heart. Do not forget that. To us, it is plain that the other nations mean to use the chaos as an excuse to tap the coffers of Ul'dah.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/21pgzn/main_story_lore_discussion_spoilers/

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - OttoVann - 09-26-2014

Reading this thread has made me feel glad for that the most part I guessed correctly on a lot of lore involving the separation of the different pillars of government in Ul'Dah. I view Sworn as law enforcement to a point since no one does brass blade RP since they are just dudes with swords and no powers (thats my theory anyways).

To frame it at least; If Crofte came to me and said something to the affect of "Vann, go tell that business guy to get in line, hes mouthy against the Sultana" or even "Go make someone clean up their act, they have too many shady characters around and we (sworn) don't like it" I think I would be inclinced to look at her like she's crazy for coming to me like that in some or any sort of official capacity.

At the same time I can see Crofte telling me to fuck myself if I told her to do anything other than her duties. Maybe I could ask her nicely, encourage her in someway, but she won't let me tell her what to do. Im Syndicate, not apart of the Royals.

Lastly it makes me wonder since Syndicate are above Sworn and can influence our little queen and her staff - I remember at the last Grindstone suggesting to Crofte I could ask the right people and she would get the day off so we could go get Lunch sometime. Granted she said "Thanks but no thanks, dont interfere with my duties please" I wonder if its RP kosher to really do that (assuming everyone agrees). Those sort of behaviors happen a lot in the real world in military/political organizations.

All that said its early and I hope it came out right.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 09-27-2014

[Image: ZJB4K6e.jpg]

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-27-2014

[Image: 1399103277633.jpg]

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 09-27-2014

I've updated the Sultanswarm Linkshell post with custom tabs. These tabs basically take what we've discussed here and condense/consolidate it. That way there is a centralized location for this information, easily seen if/when this post is buried in archives.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-27-2014

(09-27-2014, 09:27 AM)Coatleque Wrote: I've updated the Sultanswarm Linkshell post with custom tabs. These tabs basically take what we've discussed here and condense/consolidate it. That way there is a centralized location for this information, easily seen if/when this post is buried in archives.

I couldn't have distilled it better. Outstanding job.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Seriphyn - 09-27-2014

Not sure I agree with 'You can be Sultansworn and have another job', but I am of the school that if you want to RP x with the appropriate amount of weight, you should deal with all the facets of being x. That means taking on the limitations of being a royal guard. When Kale was a Flame Sergeant, I cut myself off from any RP that an Immortal Flame soldier would not likely participate in. Thanalan or nothing. To me, I'd see potential issues with someone being a merchant all day, then donning the Gallant armour when RP isn't going their way to be all like 'Actually I'm Sultansworn, you should listen to me'.
  • Above all else, respect each other. The role is not an easy one to play. The rest of the player-base has been kind enough to look up to us with in-game respect for choosing to role-play a position of power without overstepping our bounds. Please, remember what the name "Paladin" means, and strive to act like one when in-character.

This is cool, though. Sultansworn RPers have a great reputation and I approve of that. I'm not sure 'Paladin' in the context of Ul'dah means Goodie-Two-Shoes, though. If you have a ruthless and tyrannical Sultan in power, the Sultansworn are going to be as such.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aldotsk - 09-30-2014

(09-27-2014, 02:05 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Not sure I agree with 'You can be Sultansworn and have another job', but I am of the school that if you want to RP x with the appropriate amount of weight, you should deal with all the facets of being x. That means taking on the limitations of being a royal guard. When Kale was a Flame Sergeant, I cut myself off from any RP that an Immortal Flame soldier would not likely participate in. Thanalan or nothing. To me, I'd see potential issues with someone being a merchant all day, then donning the Gallant armour when RP isn't going their way to be all like 'Actually I'm Sultansworn, you should listen to me'.

I don't think anyone really acts like that way from most Sultansworns. We try our best to limit ourselves to be regular citizens just with shiny armor because we try to give Brass Blade players to get the opportunity as a law enforcement. However, there are -times- that we end up using our title to let everyone know that somethings are for the benefits of Sultana and Ul'dah.

I feel that having two occupation isn't a bad thing. Technically, before Immortal Flames was formed - Sultansworns existed and they had their own brigades to monitor the city and Thanalans with Brass Blades. Their jobs got easier when Flames was formed, but during Carteneau the Sultansworns fulfilled their duties as a soldier too during war. As a matter of fact, Sultansworns rank should be as equal as Sergeant to higher rank for Immortal Flame should they work for both because of amount of trials and training they had to go through.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Warren Castille - 09-30-2014

I think there could be a better word than "job" because of the connotations that word has in FF games. Saying "You can be Sworn AND have another job as well" makes it sound like you could also be a black mage, or dragoon, or etc etc etc.

I also don't think anyone's going to try and pretend they've got a regular 9-to-5 on top of it, either, but there's nothing to say that you can't pour drinks at a bar on your off time. As others have said, as long as it makes sense it makes sense.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aldotsk - 09-30-2014

As of how it stands, Sultansworns could literally have Immortal Flame insignia to take Flame missions to assist the soldiers if they wanted to. But in the end, the priority is always Sultana before missions.

If she tells you to be at the Royal promenade at once, you disregard everything and haul your butt to get there.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 10-29-2014

I am going to bump this thread for any who are interested, or WERE interested in the past with some additional information.

In regards to "joining" the Sultansworn:
I know a few people had asked me in the past (in-character) about joining the Sworn. I had played this off as not being Crofte's responsibility, but the Captain's. My reasoning was two-fold. First, the whole Trials of the Sworn idea was not mine. As such I did not want to step on someone else's toes or 'take over' their concept without permission. Secondly, from an in-character perspective it really isn't within Coatleque's power to grant or deny membership to the Order. The idea (which may have been lost in translation) was that you should not be coming to her saying "where do I join", but come to her saying "I'm a new initiate, they assigned me to you".

Due to on-going player story arcs, the balance of 'command' around those of us who have portrayed Sworn has shifted. As such, Coatleque will be taking a more active role as my time allows between other RP elements, to try and perform actual training of new initiates.

Crofte is now in charge of the two 'major' trials of courage and loyalty, and may be taking over the 3rd as well in the future depending on how things play out. I will also think up some 'minor' trials to fill in the gaps as time allows.

The Sultansworn Trials:
These trials are only meant to be small RP events to add to an initiate's experience. They are in no way supposed to be a pass/fail type of test to 'exclude' someone from the Order. If a person decides to take them as such, that is of course their decision and makes perfect sense to treat them as such depending on how in-depth an RPer you are.

There are two ways I will treat new initiates, and this is entirely up to each person. The first option is, of course, that they are a brand new initiate to the order. The second option is that they are already a full member and are undergoing additional trials to become a 'Gallant' of the sworn (elite of the elite as it were). The general consensus is that a normal Sultansworn wears the tabbard as seen by those in the Palace, while the Gallant's wear the AF armor as seen by Jenlyns (and Papashan who wore the AF crown when in uniform).

There are also some people who have recently come into the game as either full-fledged Sworn, or as Free Paladins who want to return to the order. This is perfectly acceptable! Again, none of this is supposed to be a 'clique' or special group. These persons can affirm as well that I have read their backgrounds and treated them as such. The whole 'Initiate' status is only for those who chose to go that route in their RP.

What about the MSQ?:
Until the story progresses further than what was recently revealed, we have to assume everything is business as usual. I do not anticipate too big of a shift, this being an MMO after all, but be prepared for anything. The community as a whole will have to simply address that if/when it happens.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 01-15-2015

Here's some in-game credence to the fact that the Sultansworn do NOT spend their entire lives in the Palace:

[Image: 4ygVypZ.png]

From the mouth of the Grand Master himself.
(Thanks to Kale for pointing this out to me)